Calais Campbell talks low Cam Newton hit

Posted by Darren Urban on November 4, 2016 – 10:49 am

Calais Campbell didn’t mean to hit Cam Newton low. The Cardinals defensive tackle made that clear when, during Thursday’s “Big Red Rage with Calais Campbell“, he talked about the hit heard round the world (thanks to Newton’s angry comments postgame and subsequent talk with commissioner Rogert Goodell.)

Campbell was fined $18,231 for the play, which was not flagged. The fact it wasn’t flagged is what got under Newton’s skin after the game.

“Honestly when I watched the play, I beat my man pretty clean but I kind of tangled my feet,” Campbell said. “I was trying to catch my balance. I always know you can’t hit a quarterback below the knees, you try to get him in the thigh. And actually, my initial hit was in his thigh but my momentum carried forward and I got him below.

“It sucks. I never want to get a guy in an awkward position like that, especially a guy that I respect as a football player. I respect everybody who gets out there. I know how hard everybody works to be an NFL football player. It’s not easy. We go through a lot of preparation, a lot of training to be where we are at. I never want to see a guy go down and be out for the season, especially at my doing. I definitely talked to him and apologized because it was definitely an accident.”

Newton was having none of the apology at the time, which came immediately after the play. “I probably should’ve waited until after the game,” Campbell said. “But it’s a natural reaction.”

(Cardinals DL Rodney Gunter was also fined $18,231 for his unnecessary roughness takedown of Newton prior to the Campbell hit. Some have asked about this hit by Panthers defensive back Daryl Worley on Carson Palmer was also illegal. Worley was not flagged, and he was not fined either. Cornerback Leonard Johnson was fined $9,115 for the hit in which he “removed” Palmer’s helmet. Johnson was flagged.)

Newton was already angry in the game. On an earlier running play — in which Newton dove head-first to get more yards and was met by flying safety D.J. Swearinger — Newton was upset at Swearinger’s hit, which appeared clean. Newton had words with Swearinger, Kevin Minter and Markus Golden at various times.

Later this week, Newton said he understood he doesn’t get QB protection as a runner, but felt he didn’t get enough protection from the officials when he was in the pocket — for example, the Campbell hit.

As for Campbell, he is appealing the fine.

“You have to appeal it,” Campbell said. “It wasn’t on purpose, it wasn’t malicious. And 18,000 dollars is a lot of money to spend for a bad football play.”

Tags: , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Calais Campbell talks low Cam Newton hit”

1. By D on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

Newton needs to Grow up and learn from Big Ben. That dude takes more shots than most QB’s and you never see him cry and demand to talk to the commissioner.

2. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

Football players that complain about getting hit.

What else is there to say ?

3. By LadyBird04 on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

Newton needs to read the NFL rule book – maybe if he understood the rules he wouldn’t be whining so often. Also, why doesn’t his Head Coach provide support/protections for him when he does decide to run the ball? Grow up young man.

4. By Eazy E on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

Y’all need to be real, if that was Carson Palmer, y’all would be outraged!? Cam has a legitimate complaint and Calais should have gotten flagged for it period! He should get more calls when he’s in the pocket and getting hit low because that is the rule now so follow it!

5. By Joseph Robinett on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

It’s interesting to me that the more one complains about a problem the more intensity is given to the problem reoccurring… Segway to Cam Newton…

I see Cam Newton as a human being, who is spoiled, use to getting his own way, immature, and in the process of, either, choosing to master his craft, or to manifest his destiny by a litany of complaints that life isn’t going his way….

Onto the Campbell hit, he was fighting off a block and doing his everything to get to the quarterback and hits Newton low, but not purposefully. I believe this rule is about intent instead of by an action of innocence, which I believe the Campbell play was.

6. By John S on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

Well, if it had been Palmer taking that hit and not flagged (though he has certainly taken his share as well), I would have yelled at my TV screen/refs too I guess. That said, I think the fine handed down to Campbell a bit over the top and unnecessarily punitive.
    Cam continues to get worse in the “whining” department, like he’s the only guy out there and somehow special… “I’m talking to the Commissioner about it!”… geez dude. So Cam runs home crying to his daddy Goodell, and thus the hefty fine. He should pick up his toys and take up badminton if feeling so unsafe.. what a big baby!

7. By CardinalChris on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

If Carson Palmer runs down the field, I’ll be yelling for him to get down and if he gets hit, it’ll be his own stupid fault. Just like it’s Cam’s own stupid fault for getting hit. He gets up whining about every play these days. It’s ridiculous. Hey Cam, Go play basketball where you fit in complaining about too much contact. Or play defensive line, you don’t have to worry about our offensive line hurting you.

8. By Scott H on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

I’m sure Newton believes he has a gripe here. Whatever. I’m no big fan of his, so he doesn’t get a lot of my sympathy. My view of Newton is that he has yet to really man-up since he kinda came up small in the SB last year. He’s kinda going the Donovan McNabb route of nothing is my fault / blame everybody & everything else when things aren’t going well anymore. That is weak. But….whatever.

I care a lot less about this than I do about how this season is going for US right now. Let’s get back to what matters.

9. By LeRoy S on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

I like Russell Wilson’s comment “If I didn’t want to get hit I’d play tennis”

10. By clssylssy on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

LOL…Well, I’m not going to accuse anyone of coming up small in big games ((eye roll)). I do think Cam got batted around like a piñata in the Denver game and the refs turned a blind eye which was the root of this entire drama. Cam is a big guy and I guess big guys aren’t suppose to mind being hit hard at any position. It’s football, it’s fast, and most of these players are filled with emotion and are just trying to do their job to the best of their ability to help their team…stuff happens.
    I do have a problem with the quality of officiating across the board but, I also wouldn’t want the job. The NFL has gotten insane with it’s fines in most cases and unless a player has shown a pattern of maliciously trying to hurt other players, they are excessive. Many are open to interpretation which makes the legitimate calls seem suspect.
    Calais has a good rep around the league and isn’t a thug so, I’m hoping that will go in his favor.
    Where are these refs when Palmer is getting beat senseless?

11. By creditcard on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

I agree with Scott H.

The o-line and special teams are both far below acceptable.

12. By Dr. G. on Nov 4, 2016 | Reply

Cameron Newton is a self righteous Primo Dono…problem is ~ I haven’t heard him sing…only cry baby oral flatulence.

Do we recall when Calais was injured by an intentional dirty chop block? He said nothing. I’ve spent time around him; he can exemplify to Newton how to be a real courteous adult. Watching the play shows no intent…grow up Newton.

13. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 5, 2016 | Reply

Still not sure why Worley diving at Palmer’s legs isn’t also a penalty and worthy of a fine…

14. By TucsonTim on Nov 5, 2016 | Reply

Common Calais! You earn more than 400 times what the average Joe earns in a year in this country. So, that was more like a $40 parking ticket.

15. By Amway on Nov 5, 2016 | Reply

Are u ppl serious? Whinny? Crybaby? If any of u took half the hits cam did ud all be in a hospital seriously cams one of the toughest resilient sobs on the planet but everyone has a breakin point and for anyone too undermined how he feels are the truest ignorant self absorbed narrow minded jerks on the planet seriously cams one of a kind has done more in his 6 yrs then any of u have in ur own lives smh u couldn’t fathom his talent and ya dang sure couldn’t walk a mile in his shoes smh gtfo urselfs ur not perfect cam doesn’t think he’s perfect but he strives to do perfection u can’t hold a candle to this wonderful man whose done so much for the Carolinas ur just mad ur QB sucks and ain’t nearly as half good as panthers QB ever will be grow up

16. By Scott H on Nov 6, 2016 | Reply

Pre-game time on Sunday….and all I’m heating about is Cam Newton and his complaints. Ya know what? NOW I’m pissed. I don’t give a rat’s you-know-what about Cam Newton and his issues. OUR team is below .500 and loaded with reasons why. Screw Cam Newton. Handle your business, big guy, and quit whining.

Again – LET”S GET BACK TO WHAT MATTERS. The Cardinals, and what appears to be a 2016 season that is slipping away from us.

Darren – please don’t think any of my tone here is directed toward you and this blog. Not at all. This has a connection to the Cardinals because of the game last week, Campbell being fined, etc. I’m just sick of Cam Newton’s whining and how much attention, nationally, is paid to it. Carry on, sir.

17. By Wild Blue Yonder on Nov 6, 2016 | Reply

Amway,
    I think that you belong on the Panthers’ website.

18. By clssylssy on Nov 7, 2016 | Reply

Scott…
    The Cardinals aren’t even in the conversation this week (haven’t been much lately even when they weren’t on a bye) and the Panther seem to be having something of a comeback following their bye; let’s hope that the Cards can do the same!
    The Saints put a pretty good beat down on the 9ers and the 9ers are going to be looking to regain some of their dignity…let’s hope we go out their to play our old division rival and regain some of OUR dignity to start off our road show!
    I’m still worried about facing Brees and the Redskins as well as the Rams, and Hawks but some of the teams who peeked early are starting to fall which gives rise to hope for the Cards if we can play all these games like we know how. The Rams gave the Panthers quite a fight and so it will depend on which of the Cardinal defenses show up in the second half of the schedule.
    Wow, how about those Lions!!! Any team Anquan goes to seems to be a winner, which I love, and Jerrod Powers did pretty good with the Ravens and his sack on Big Ben, Freeney looks to have a better shot at another ring with the Falcons too!. DRC, Hightower…love seeing our guys have continued success after we kick them to the curb!

2. Dec 12, 2016: Calais Campbell’s hit on Ryan Tannehill was unfortunate, but it wasn’t dirty - Attitude Sports
  3. Dec 12, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Campbell: Hit “definitely wasn’t on purpose”