On his birthday, “Pat Tillman: A Football Life”

Posted by Darren Urban on November 6, 2016 – 8:15 am

Had Pat Tillman not been killed, he would have been 40 years old today.

If you didn’t get a chance to see the NFL Films’ episode of “A Football Life” about Tillman that debuted on NFL Network late last month, here is your chance to see it. It’s well worth your time, even with a story many of us know by now. There is always so much you can say about Tillman — I’d guess they easily could have made a show that went two hours and not just one and had plenty of material.

Tags:

8 Responses to “On his birthday, “Pat Tillman: A Football Life””

1. By Scott H on Nov 6, 2016 | Reply

Wow. This one was awesome. I had forgotten what a true BEAST Tillman was on the field!! Or, didn’t forget, maybe just lost track over time. But this program was fantastic. It was about SOOOO much more than football, which is also SOOOO true of Tillman as well. What became so clear as you watched is that football – as much as he seemed to love it – was NOT who Pat was. He was so much more. He was about….obstacles……conquering…..doing what people said he couldn’t do…..and about achieving something / anything so he could move on to what was next.

A truly remarkable man. And football player. I keep saying I gotta get a Tillman jersey and watching that program iced it for me – his jersey will hang in my closet before X-mas. And I’ll tell ya what…..when I think about the reactions I get when I wear my Warner and Fitz jerseys and the reaction I KNOW I will get when I’m wearing Tillman’s……is there a team out there than could boast a better trio of jerseys than THAT? Absolutely NOT. Heck, and that doesn’t even include my Aeneas Williams jersey!

It is damn good to be a Cardinals fan.

2. By Guy Montag on Nov 6, 2016 | Reply

This is the best mainstream media documentary yet done Pat Tillman. It paints a portrait of Pat as the iconoclast he was, not as the icon he is usually portrayed as by the NFL. This film actually discusses the whitewash of his friendly fire death and mentions (very briefly) his opposition to the Iraq War.

To learn more, I’d suggest “The Tillman Story” DVD, Mary Tillman’s book “Boots on the Ground by Dusk,” the revised paperback edition of Jon Krakauer’s book “Where Men Win Glory,” or the Feral Firefighter post “The [Missing] Pat Tillman Legacy.

3. By Guy Montag on Nov 6, 2016 | Reply

Kaepernick has been unfavorably compared to Pat. However, I I believe Pat would respect his moral courage. But, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pat would have taken a knee with him.

In response to a critic, Kaepernick said, “At the end of the day, I’m going to continue to fight for what I believe.” Likewise, Pat always did what HE thought was the right thing to do, no matter what anyone else thought.

For example, the film mentions Pat was the only Cardinals player (out of 52) to vote to play after 9/11. Pat and his brother Kevin were the only Rangers to support Rory Fanning’s decision to become a CO and quit the Rangers. Pat told his mom his hero was Rachel Corrie (run over by a bulldozer while protesting in the Gaza strip).

4. By TLT on Nov 7, 2016 | Reply

Pat is purest American Hero that can be. Square jaw symbolic of how carved from stone this man was.

PS: notable, beside division leaders, only 2 NFC teams with fewer losses than Cards. Cup still half full.

5. By Dr. G. on Nov 7, 2016 | Reply

Montag ~ ~ Kaepernick is self absorbed and ill-informed. My man Tillman had a backbone, and moreover, he did something about his beliefs…not standing back and just trying to create more social division… The old school axiom is:: Kaepernick couldn’t carry Tillman’s jock strap..!

Yeah, any comparison riles the senses…can’t go there… I proudly wear 42 &40…

6. By D on Nov 7, 2016 | Reply

Come on Bills, complete the Trifecta of NFC West losing this weekend..

7. By joe holst on Nov 7, 2016 | Reply

They should have told the story better of how he was killed, terrible but still a great piece, congrats Darren on being in it, really cool, it was strange how Pat had the contract offers and nothing was happening, also I learned about Pat’s run and would like to participate.

8. By TomPayne on Nov 13, 2016 | Reply

There is no comparing the two. Kaepernick is a self-righteous clown who has no idea what it is like to be oppressed. He went as far as wearing a Fidel Castro shirt, which depicts one of the biggest oppressors in the history of the western hemisphere.

He promotes VICTIMHOOD and gets paid a handsome sum to do so, yet he offers no solutions. He even refused to vote which is a travesty in and of itself.

RIP Pat, and Happy Birthday.