Jaron Brown extension helps 2017 WR picture

Posted by Darren Urban on November 16, 2016 – 12:35 pm

Wide receiver Jaron Brown, out for the season with an ACL tear, was supposed to be a free agent in the spring. Instead, the Cardinals have signed him to a one-year contract extension that will help with the clarity of the wide receiver corps for 2017.

We’ve written multiple times about the many free agents the Cardinals will have after this season. The Cardinals have pecked away at the list — Tyrann Mathieu and Larry Fitzgerald signed extensions during training camp; GM Steve Keim continues to say dialogue is ongoing with linebacker Chandler Jones — but there are still a lot of players with which to deal.

Brown had been one of them. Wide receiver is an interesting position for next season. Michael Floyd is scheduled to be a free agent, and with his ups and downs and because of the money he could command, his return is anything but certain. Fitzgerald did sign an extension, but he hasn’t come out and say he will definitely play next season (and not retire) — although his play this season is anything but a player who is fading. Smokey Brown and J.J. Nelson are under contract next season, but neither are the big body that Fitz or Floyd or Jaron Brown are.

Jaron Brown was having a solid season this year before his knee injury. He had 11 catches for 187 yards in just seven games, on his way to setting career highs in both categories. Plus he’s proven his worth on special teams. Brown finds himself in a prove-it situation given his knee injury, but assuming he can come back healthy, it makes sense to bring Brown back.

jaronextension

Tags: , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Jaron Brown extension helps 2017 WR picture”

1. By mitchaz on Nov 16, 2016 | Reply

Good to see the Cardinals recognized Jaron as a core player. If he stay healthy and has a good year next year, there’s a good chance they will re-sign him to a longer deal. Very good on STs and is emerging as a #3 WR.

2. By TucsonTim on Nov 16, 2016 | Reply

“You are an obsession
    I cannot sleep
    I am your possession
    Unopened at your feet
    There’s no balance…”

I think you all know the rest of the lyrics
    And I think you know it’s not about Jaron Brown

3. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 16, 2016 | Reply

Contract extensions;

Let me start by saying I love Chandler Jones.

I am, also, not sure if everybody knows that Chandler Jones is the younger brother of Colts dlineman Arthur Jones and the best pound for pound fighter in the UFC Jon Jones. What an amazing family.

But there is a history with the brothers. Both Arthur and Jon have been busted for PEDs. Chandler was in trouble over his synthetic drugs last year.

Chandler Jones is due a huge pay day. One that could net him 17 million a year. How much, if any, has the PEDs played into the contract talks for Jones extension?

Would it be more logical to just slap the tag on him and get to know him for another year?

On another note, a story on the 3 would be nice. Arthur has a superbowl ring, Chandler has a superbowl ring and Jon has been world champion and is considered the best pound for pound fighter. nice to have a family full of champs.
    I wonder if big brother Arthur at 6’3″ and 337 ever messes with Jon?

4. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Chandler Jones

Since his brother, last I saw, was given a lengthy suspension in UFC, don’t know if a family story is going to happen.

I get the concern, and after DWash, it’s fair. The problem is, if you just tag him, you could have put that money toward a long-term deal. And truly, by the time he signs something — if he signs something — you aren’t going to know him any better than you already do.

5. By Andy Kw on Nov 16, 2016 | Reply

This is a great move. Glad we have him back for one more season

6. By clssylssy on Nov 16, 2016 | Reply

While Jaron Brown is no Fitz (or AJ Green, Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, O’Dell Beckam…you get my drift), he has shown he is solid; but am not sure why his extension, at this point, is such a big deal, and would like to see Keim focusing more on the present season and getting us some temporary replacements rather than going off on some quest for the future. To me, that is a good way to avoid taking responsibility for not performing the task at hand, namely, putting a quality product on the field to win games NOW; Dejavu Graves.
    How many times have I heard Michael Bidwill in interviews say he was committed to doing everything possible to give the team what it needs to win Championships? Seems like Steve Keim didn’t get the memo because wehave some needs that aren’t being filled as reflected in our ongoing stuggles.
    If, you are correct, and Floyd does not return, and if Fitz is also gone, that leaves the team with the same problem of having small receivers who can’t win the physical matchups against bigger more physical corners and safeties. Do I think JJ, Smokey and Jaron can fill the bill? Hardly!
    How about let’s work on winning this year before we get ahead of ourself. If we can’t put a winning product on the field this year, have no franchise QB, and no Fitz, nothing is to say we’ve not begun back sliding to being the same ole Cards nobody wants to play for.

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Now and then

In one post, it seems to be you are complaining the Cardinals are not a) focused enough on right now because they are worried about the future and b) not worried enough about the future by thinking about right now. You have to always do both.

8. By Scott H on Nov 16, 2016 | Reply

Nicely done. It really doesn’t look like it is gonna happen for the Cardinals this year. But I like that the window seems to be very much open for another shot in 2017.

Who knows what happens with Floyd? Got 7 games left….7 games like he played last Sunday, and the first half of the season will be much easier to forget about. Seven more games like the first 8 and I have to think he will be somewhere else. The extension to Jaron kinda hints at that, doesn’t it? It clearly gives the Cardinals a fall-back option ( and a damn good one ) if Floyd is not going to be here.

But regardless, there will be no avoiding the overall conclusion that Floyd just has not stepped up to let us know that he is ready to take the mantle from Fitz.

But for now, I like this extension. This organization is clearly trying to make it happen during Palmer’s time here. I just hope we get to see it happen during Fitz’ time here. THAT window may be closed for good after 2017.

9. By dynosoar on Nov 16, 2016 | Reply

I’m stoked at this signing.

10. By Corgon on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

Niccccce. I like Jaron and his play as well.
    Always nice to see guys like him fighting hard, step by step to prove their worth.

11. By Scott H on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

Not related, but since the HOF thing is coming around again, I really do hope this will be the year for Kurt Warner. I think this is the year, and I will be very happy for him.

Several other nominees with Cardinals ties….the Edge ( obviously more a Colt but he was still productive during his time here ), Coryell, and Faneca ( although his connection is minimal at best ).

Some folks out here in the Philly area are raising a fuss over McNabb not being nominated. But I never saw him as a HOF’er. A very good QB, at times, but NOT great. I think that 2008 NFC title game was a perfect illustration of the difference between Warner ( who was great ) and McNabb ( who just wasn’t ). Warner was able to take it up to a different level in those games and could elevate the team around him. McNabb could not.

12. By clssylssy on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

Darren…
    I think you always have to think about the future but not to the exclusion of ignoring the business at hand. And, our immediate success DOES have a lot to do with impacting the future, in that, while the team has made progress we still have not “made it” into the top tier of perennial contenders; we are still fighting to be legit. We own the distinction of being the oldest franchise without a SB win and playoff appearances that we can count on one hand!
    We have a good organization, great and talented guys, probably the best in terms of character and charitable works, but this is football and fans deserve the organization’s best effort at delivering on it’s word.
    I don’t think I’ve candy coated the fact that I think Keim is doing his own thing while the team struggles, and, as much as I do like Jaron Brown, and am glad to see his contract extended, I feel that we have more pressing needs (like replacement players for our 0-line). Part of what made Keim great in the past was his talent for keeping the ship afloat and steaming forward when their were major malfunctions and needed repairs.
    As BA said, success is measured by a SB ring. The future is NOW!

13. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

Has there been any talk about taking a look at Alex Okafor at ILB?

Hear me out.
    Virtually same size as Karlos Dansby or Jamie Collins (guys who moved from outside to inside), He has the ability to rush the passer, and is rangy, long and athletic enough to be alright in the passing game. But is big enough to take on guards and make tackles.

I know Minter is a Free agent and so are both our starting safeties. (so is Okafor for that matter.) But if he could play inside, you could let Minter walk, kick Bucannon to SS and draft a LB. Now you only have to sign either Swearinger or Jefferson but not both.

Thoughts?

14. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Okafor ILB

I haven’t heard anything like that. They would have to re-sign him, of course. I don’t see that being considered. Okafor was one of those DE-turned-OLB, so I don’t know how simple it would be. I’d also say, having been next to them a lot, Dansby was much more athletic and rangy than Okafor.

15. By TucsonTim on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

Wow! Never knew there were so many Butler fans on here.

16. By Scott H on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

Sorry to keep harping on the Butler re-signing, but when I am reminded that we were achieving 33.7 yards net on his kicks…..it absolutely makes me sick to see him coming back. How does bringing back ANY player at ANY position that doesn’t even perform up the standard of average send a message to the fans that we are committed to being the best we can be?

THIS sends the message that trying to get better on special teams is just not a priority. The punter on an NFL team should be a weapon – a weapon that can help change field position or pin a team deep late in a game so you have a chance to get the ball back with one more chance to score. Zastudil was a weapon. He could do those things for us. Butler is NOT a weapon. IMHO, he is more of a liability. And we just RE-SIGNED him???

Poor special teams play has already been a prominent factor in this 2016 season. Bringing this guy back just sends the wrong message. It definitely sends the wrong message to ME.

17. By creditcard on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

Scott H:

Agreed.

My theory about Butler is that he must somehow have a compromising photo of someone in the Cards organization, that he routinely uses as leverage. Whatever it is, we fans will not be privileged to know.

You can probably guess, my humble opinion that Butler’s return has nothing to do performance.

18. By rod on Nov 17, 2016 | Reply

Butler is back? WTH is going on here?!!!

What are we missing Darren? Does this guy have compromising photos of BA, Keim or Bidwill?

19. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2016 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Butler/Arians

Direct from the transcript:

On re-signing Drew Butler:
    “Everything, numbers-wise, was about the same. Drew gives us an extra field goal kicker and kickoff guy, just like the way he kicks better.”

On whether Butler is better at inside the 20 and 10-yard lines:
    “He has been, and directionally, kicking left and right. The flexibility he gives us is big.”

On whether he’s bothered by Butler’s poor net and gross punting averages:
    “No. No, because some of it is coverage and some of it is the kick itself.”

20. By clssylssy on Nov 18, 2016 | Reply

Scott…
    According to what sources outside of this site have to say about this matchup, “It’s a contest between two of the more disappointing teams in the NFC” in which Special Teams will decide the outcome of the game (sorry)…and, the Vikes have it by a whisper at 17-13. I sure hope not because this is a real opportunity for the Cards to get things going towards some more respectable numbers, as well as, providing good practice for our defense that will be facing Brees in the near future.
    After watching the Saints last night against the Panthers, I can only hope our pass rush is ready to play tough for a full sixty and our secondary decides to start earning their sizable pay. Hopefully, we’ll have the Honey Badger “back” to his old form but it would be nice to see some of those old moves sooner than later. This Vikings game would be a good game to find our form in for what lies ahead.
    Wonder how Michael Bidwill feels about his players being described as “mentally weak” in the national media?

21. By Scott H on Nov 18, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

Oh my….having this game come down to special teams would NOT seem to bode well for the Cardinals. So, let’s hope it does not. I also saw a prediction elsewhere of a 13-10 Vikings win. I do not think the scoring will be that limited.

Also saw an interesting bid of trivia that does NOT bode well for our side….if I remember what I saw correctly, Fitz has never been part of a win in Minnesota since he’s been here AND ( even worse ) the Cardinals are 1-7 ALL TIME in their trips to Minny. I hate hearing that kinda stuff. Some teams just do not win in other places and sometimes, those trends go back over several decades ( they transcend coaching changes, changing rosters, etc, so it makes ya feel like certain teams are just doomed in certain cities ).

That said, I’m hoping the defense will lead the way in this one. The Vikings O-line is apparently a mess right now and that would seem to be a factor that could pave the way for our defense to come up big, maybe even put a score or two of their own on the board.

On the offensive side, I gotta be honest – until I see better, I just do not have a whole lot of confidence in Palmer right now. That game against San Fran has been hard to forgive. Yeah, he threw for a lot of yards but only one TD and he turned it over way too many times. That is NOT the game he needed to have after that ridiculous comment he made about liking where we’re at right now.

Let’s get Fitz a win in his hometown in what could very well be his last chance to get one.

Getting beaten by Sam Bradford and a pretty below average cast of characters ( on offense, that is, for the Vikes ) is just about as bad as getting beaten by Kaepernick would have been ( and almost was ).

22. By Big Ken on Nov 18, 2016 | Reply

Jaron Brown is a good football player. Injured yes but a smart signing, one year extension. Low risk

23. By JohnnyBluenose on Nov 18, 2016 | Reply

Clssylssy….I watched the panthers/saints game too…great catch by ex-cardinal ted ginn but i was more impressed with another ex-cardinal, tim hightower. it is amazing that he has been able to come back from oblivion. almost makes me think there is some faint hope for andre ellington.

24. By Scott H on Nov 18, 2016 | Reply

JohnnyBlue –

Yeah, there is hope for Ellington. But if he goes the Timmy Hightower route, it will be 5 years from now with another team. After we all forgot about him. 🙂

I agree, it is really cool to see him back, playing the way he is after he seemed to be gone for good. Heck, he is actually playing BETTER for the Saints than he did when he was here!!

25. By clssylssy on Nov 19, 2016 | Reply

Scott…
    We have not had great success in Minnesota EVER and I would love to see Fitz get a win with this team in his career–this year may be it, if you believe all the rumblings that have picked up recently. Remember, however, before we were playing outside and this year we will be in a dome. Don’t know if that will help any but, I would think it would to some degree although it probably will be louder (can it be any louder than Seattle?) and those Vikings fans are passionate and a little crazy when it comes to their team!
    The thing about Special Teams that many overlook is the RS, and the Cards have been horrid in this area. I’m not sure why, other than a lack of interest/ minimizing the importance of starting the game with an advantage at field position–seems like a rookie coaching mistake to me and drives me a little nuts. The Vikings have been MUCH more efficient in this area, so, we can’t hang all of our Special Teams woes on the punter.
    It bothers me that Arians acts like Steven Diggs is the only thing we have to worry about and putting PP on him will solve all problems; I believe we are seriously underestimating the other players who have historically given us problems and I fear this kind of arrogance/over confidence will be our demise. PP also, IMO, is no Richard Sherman and has not lived up to his No. ! ranking.
    I see this as another defensive slug fest that could well end up in OT. The Redskins barely got a win against the Vikings and so this will be a good preview to assess how we will stand up to Washington in a few weeks.
    JohnnyBlue–
    I always liked Hightower, Ginn wasn’t here long enough to even notice and was, IMO, not a good fit, unhappy, reminding me of a petulant child. Once he got back to Carolina his attitude changed to proving he was better than they thought originally, so it worked out for him. So many players have been cut by the Cards only to find success elsewhere (even a ring) and I have to believe that other teams get them at an optimal time in their career when they have had some of that rookie cockyness knocked out of them. DRC is having a great year, and of course, Anquan Boldin is right up there with Fitz as an elite player, but another we let get away. I can only imagine how good we could be with a Boldin/Fitzgerald tandem now!

2. Nov 16, 2016: Arizona Cardinals sign WR Jaron Brown to extension - Sports News Instant
  3. Nov 16, 2016: Arizona Cardinals sign WR Jaron Brown to extension - Sportal.co.in
  4. Nov 16, 2016: Arizona Cardinals sign WR Jaron Brown to extension - NFL Feeds To The Fans
  5. Nov 16, 2016: Arizona Cardinals sign WR Jaron Brown to extension | Football and Soccer News Games Results Scores Transfers