Kerwynn Williams finds his wildcat

Posted by Darren Urban on November 30, 2016 – 9:50 am

Sometimes, the mother of invention is simply right place, right time. Running back Kerwynn Williams has taken snaps before in his football career. He played quarterback in high school (surprisingly, Williams said) and at Utah State he was used in some wildcat formations. But with the Cardinals, it really hadn’t come up until the week of practice heading into the game against the Vikings.

The Vikings use the wildcat. So the Cardinals were practicing against it with their scout team. Normally, practice squad running back Elijhaa Penny would have served in that role. But Penny wasn’t at practice that day, his child being born. So Williams jumped in, and apparently, coaches liked what they saw.

“I guess the rest is history,” Williams said.

The next week, Williams had a part in the offensive package. Williams was in the wildcat twice in Atlanta. He handed off to David Johnson for a 16-yard gain on the first play. The second time, Williams broke for a nice 11-yard gain, although it was wiped out on an A.Q. Shipley holding penalty. It “adds a different wrinkle to the offense,” Williams said, and there is little question that Williams has proven over his years in Arizona — even though he has been on and off the roster — that he can run the ball. That’s never really been in doubt, and it flashed again against the Falcons.

As for playing wildcat quarterback, there is also the chance to pass the ball too, right?

“I did have a little bit of the laser back in the day,” Williams deadpanned. “It’s still there. I’ve still got the fundamentals.”

Williams smiled. “But that’s what Carson is for,” he added. “He’s a great quarterback, he makes a lot of great passes. I don’t think they need me to throw the ball.”

kerwynnwildcat

Tags: , , ,

24 Responses to “Kerwynn Williams finds his wildcat”

1. By Jim Richardson on Nov 30, 2016 | Reply

We have to get Kerwynn involved in the offense. The guy does nothing but make positive plays and he plays tough.

2. By Joseph Robinett on Nov 30, 2016 | Reply

The Cards are programed for mediocrity, now and henceforth, if the current regime, head coach, continue on coaching into the following season; Absolutely, nothing will change, and thus, similar to the pervious, coach Wiz’s opportunity, will end dismally….

Therefore, no matter what addition, Kerwynn Williams, changing the OL around, etc., it’s not going to manifest into a future of prosperity. The future is now, so let’s prepare for tomorrow, as if it were next season, by the process of hiring a new head coach for a prosperity of our future Sundays….

3. By Wild Blue Yonder on Nov 30, 2016 | Reply

I’ve seen some posters comment that Arians will retire after this dismal season because of health problems. That won’t happen, as one fan wrote. He won’t go out after such a poor season. He’ll tough it out next season.
    I’ve also seen some posters want him to change his offensive game plans i.e. throw to the TEs more, call fewer “chunk plays” etc. That won’t happen either. He won’t deviate from what’s produced success for him (until this season).
    I’ve also seen some posters comment that he should get another B/U QB. That won’t happen either. He’s comfortable with Stanton.
    I’ve also seen some posters hope that Keim will change his draft philosophy (see Cooper and Nk…) Sorry. Leopards don’t change their spots.
    So, I’m going WAY OUT on a limb and predicting another season in 2017 like this one.
    THEN, i expect Michael Bidwill to pull the plug on both Keim and Arians. If not then, he’ll finally realize that, if he wants to win a Super Bowl, he’ll have to make major changes after the 2018 season.

4. By Amir on Nov 30, 2016 | Reply

Re: Joseph R post

WTH????????????

5. By lacardinalsfan on Nov 30, 2016 | Reply

Can he punt?

6. By Chris Jones on Nov 30, 2016 | Reply

No, the Cardinals have still got that spark from last year, they’re just lacking the deep ball to Michael Floyd and the speedsters beating man coverage. Feeding David Johnson more has given them a 3D offense. Carson has had up and downs this season but we have faced many tough defenses, and the struggles of this season should not be blamed on Carson Palmer.

7. By texascard on Nov 30, 2016 | Reply

Take foster in first to give defense long term identity and stability. Add qualty to oline (maybe one guard or maybe center). Keep offensive weapons as is. Oust butler and stabilize spec teams. Strong d and good run game = playoff contender for years to come

8. By Bill Higuera on Nov 30, 2016 | Reply

Last year we won most of the close games. This year hasn’t worked out that way.if not for those missed chip shots n other crap, we’d be sitting at 7-3 n not many would be talkin down on the cards. Granted the special teams n offense hasn’t been playin great, but r running game is better n the defense was ranked #1 as of last week.. so bad luck has put us where we’re at cuz we’d all be feeling a lot better if we could’ve won those games that we should’ve

9. By Joseph Robinett on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Boo as they thumb their noses while in the safety of supporting another lost season. Let’s be positive and not question what is happening even when it’s staring us, well obviously not you noses, right in our faces….

I’ll always be a Cardinal enthusiast, no matter what, and know that I am not being negative but, rather, very positive when actively calling for a change at the head coaching position for the following year. This is about one thing, the health of the team, so you tell me, are the Arizona Cardinal’s a healthy team? Is their future bright? Obviously, I know how I feel….

Now sharpen them thumbs, blah, blah, blah, noses.

10. By red2616 on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Williams is better than ANY Seattle RB now. This kid does nothing but produce. But buried behind David Johnson (Beast Mode who), and CJ, Ellington Williams was never able to get touches. With all these injuries he has a chance. If the Cards had 10% of the luck other teams have at staying healthy they would have 1-3 SB Trophies. Injuries only problem. If you don’t agree, you don’t know football.

11. By red2616 on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Joseph Robinett, Seattle fan trolling Cards articles. I don’t have enough time to write all the things I can to say how wrong you are so I’ll say this. 1. Quit trolling, 2. Learn what injuries are 3. Learn the game.

12. By shannon robinson on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Redskins / Cardinals is my favorite game of any year. I watched Sonny Jurgensen with my Dad in RFK Stadium when Vince Lombardi was our coach. I’ve watched Ottis plow through the Skins’ defense and Roy Green catching the bomb on our turf. Pat Fisher was my favorite player – the last great white cornerback we’ll ever see who played for the Cards as well as the Redskins. So “Hail to the Deadskins” cause I’m a Cardinals fan now. If you get to sit in U of P Stadium this weekend just say for me, “It can’t get better than this!” Thanks.

13. By TucsonTim on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

CJ2K or what’s his name. As a fan I can’t imagine a worse decision. The season is over. Give me some reason to go and watch. It was exciting every time CJ got the ball. He will play again but not in a Cardinals uniform.

More accountability BS. Really??? Accountability starts at the top. Period It’s a pathetic and embarrassing way for this all or nothing season to end.

14. By mitchaz on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Kerwynn Williams should be the #2 RB. He is way tougher and scrappier than Ellington. I like the Wildcat as a wrinkle every now and then. Gives the defense something else to think about and prepare for and with teams loading up on David Johnson, the Wildcat will force them to play it honest, that is if they don’t want to give the edge to Kerwynn.

15. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

When we drafted Logan Thomas in 2014 there was some talk that he had some potential as a tight end, more potential perhaps than he had as a quarterback. Today he is a Buffalo Bill….as a tight end.

16. By Darren Urban on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose —

RE: Thomas

When he was here, he didn’t have any interest in being a tight end. Reality tends to change minds over time.

17. By Dr. G. on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Now, the Yin/Yang strikes Arians’ program.

FEW Fans embrace the publicly open critical style Arians uses calling out specific players. We have our own eyes and ears; it is unnecessary to vent publicly, and it causes descension among the troops.

How do the public and the press react when players air their opposing views to management or coaching? It is ALWAYS considered going rogue even when they are correct. So, if I were Michael Bidwill, it would be a policy to keep the negative dialogue in-house where it rightfully belongs. When deserved, praise publicly. There are tactical ways to answer probative questions.

Do we want Coach to morph from cool uncle to cruel uncle? Any life coach would suggest to Arians that he is teetering…his own “riskit.” Finger pointing is a natural defense mechanism, and players can rebel in self-preservation. Cards Fans do not want a muted mutiny. The off-season will have many surprises…

Cards Fans..gotta right the ship…more than the obvious to recon…be well

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Arians

Not sure exactly what you are getting at, to be honest.

But Arians isn’t operating any differently now than he has since he showed up.

19. By Dr. G. on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Darren ~ ~ what I am getting at?

Never been a fan of public scrutiny since Arians’ arrival. I’ve post such. This is not a new idea for me…and probably most fans. I like the lovable uncle thing, but he does not serve himself well wearing his heart on his sleeve with regard to specific player personal effort. The Fans need not be reminded of the obvious. Your readers’ posts are evidence of this.

There exists a managerial philosophy that touts criticism in public and among peers, but has long since been proven detrimental and creates division. Go in; shut the door, and go at it, and come out with some agreement. Airing your dirty laundry has never been good for either side. It makes the leader look like a bully, and it garners disrespect and can divide your efforts into unwanted sectors. Repeating…there is alternate tact that could serve Coach better…we all need to adjust as we progress.

Again, I respect your candor….be well

20. By Barry on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Kerwynn should have been higher in our list of RB’s he’s proven him self year after year.

21. By Dr. G. on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Darren…FYI… That 👎 was not me….

22. By Darren Urban on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Thumbs

I’ll be honest. I work in a CMS for the blog comments and never really see the thumbs. I don’t really care one way or the other.

23. By TucsonTim on Dec 1, 2016 | Reply

Praise in public; punish in private. Very simple.

Maybe the style hasn’t changed but the results sure have.

24. By Wild Blue Yonder on Dec 2, 2016 | Reply

The correct phrase is: “Praise in public, CRITICIZE in private”.
    Arians would be wise to adopt that method of communicating with the media re: his players’ performance.