Punter Wile added to practice squad

Posted by Darren Urban on December 6, 2016 – 2:02 pm

The Cardinals brought in punter Matt Wile for a tryout Monday, and Tuesday, signed him to their practice squad. Drew Butler remains the punter on the active roster.

To make room for Wile on the practice squad, the Cardinals released linebacker Reshard Cliett.

Wile punted well against the Cards two weeks ago when he served as an injury fill-in for the Falcons. In that game, Wile’s two punts traveled 59 and 57 yards, and his net average was 52 yards. Wile’s arrival will essentially create an in-season competition at the position. Butler has struggled since returning to the Cardinals following a severe ankle injury and subsequent release. In his two stints with the Cards this season – six games thus far – Butler has averaged 41.3 yards with a net average of 35.4.

“Like any other position there are expectations, and that spot right now, we’re not living up to expectations,” General Manager Steve Keim said Monday on Arizona Sports 98.7. “It’s a results-based business and if you’re not getting the job done, we’ll look and see if there is somebody who can.”

Coach Bruce Arians had pointed out Monday any new punter would also need to be able to hold on point-afters and field goals. Some practice time will give Wile a chance to show that as well. As Kent Somers astutely pointed out, as bad as a shanked punt might be, a blown hold on a key field goal would be worse.

Matt Wile

Tags: , ,

58 Responses to “Punter Wile added to practice squad”

1. By LadyBird04 on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Hope if/when they activate him to the roster they don’t trade away another draft pick. If the “holder” portion is a question, is it because Cantazaro is someone who cannot adjust or because there aren’t any punters who have ever held for a kicker? Cantazaro hasn’t been all that great anyway.

2. By Erik on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

I noticed an error in your article. It should read, “Butler has struggled since he stepped foot on an NFL field”. 🙂

But in all seriousness, this is just getting weird at this point. Just replace the guy already!

3. By mal on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

It’s hard to believe, but true, if the Saints, Jags, Seahawks, and Eagles win this weekend, the Cards will be only a half game behind the Bucs for the final wildcard spot.

And the Cards own the tie-breaker with the Bucs.

(of course, providing the Cards take care of the Fins)

Now, sure, nobody expects the Jags to win this weekend, but those other games could break our way. We’re still in it.

4. By joe holst on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

It will be a while before wile plays.

5. By Judy Beatty on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Why are they so reluctant to let Drew Butler go, if it were any other player, playing that bad he would have been gone a long time ago.

6. By EricG on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

I said it in the last article, and I’ll say it again. Butler has nearly the same punt average and net average he has had his entire career. Nothing has changed this season. Nothing! Why he is on this team is a flat out mystery.

Let’s hope Wile can hold.

7. By JosEPh on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Butler not getting cut is going to really tick off a lot of fans. They are claiming Butler has “good ole boy” ties to Bruce Arians and Amos Jones. Expect the Red Sea to be giving Butler the Boo Bird treatment for the last home game against the Saints. Just givin’ y’all a heads up. The Card’s Message Board is over ran with Anti-Butler threads and calling BA names like Super Bruce (and not in a nice way either).

8. By Canadian Redbird on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Net 52 vs. Net 35.4. Seems like a slam dunk to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not as important but an area that deserves consideration / refinement is Amos Otis’s work with the special teams. Our team just got better today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. By JosEPh on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

I see you did not want to post my 1st post. But what I stated is true. The fans are done with Butler. 3 years of bad punting and still on the team is hard to swallow. And the team let a 5th rd pick go to let Butler stay and just hold on a bad ankle before he went on IR. That really made no sense to many fans. Still doesn’t in fact. Marquis Christian must have been a really bad safety. Or as some have voiced the team made a bad pick in the 5th rd? What do you think Mr. Urban?

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Joseph —

RE: Think

I think I was busy yesterday and was unable to moderate posts. Sorry that wasn’t fast enough for you.

11. By Austin on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Why doesn’t Drew Stanton hold for fg’s? I thought 2nd string qb’s did that all the time.

12. By clssylssy on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

I think Darren underscored what Kent Sommers said, that as bad as a shanked punt is, a blown hold on a game winning FG would be worse and the holding part of the job seems to be what’s really at issue. Seems pretty clear to me, Butler is on his way out, just maybe not this week.

13. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    As another fan pointed out, why cant Stanton hold for the extra point? Cause if that is the only reason they are keeping Butler that is a pretty weak point? Again it seems like they are making excuses to keep him on?
    I thought every decision is a cardinal decision? Doesnt sound like it here?
    Would you be able to ask that question for the fans? Cause the excuses keeping him on is pretty weak?
    Mahalo!
    GO CARDS !!!

14. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Stanton

I do not know why Stanton is not the holder. Although I can’t recall since covering this team when the punter was not the holder.

15. By Amir on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

And the circus continues…

16. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Wait, wait, wait…..or in a film director’s parlance – CUT!

Did I read this right? Did I read that “Butler has struggled since returning to the Cardinals…..”?

I’m sorry, but it sure as hell looked to me like Butler was struggling LOOOOOONG before we ever got to that point. Butler has been a struggle-in-progress all along.

Darren – c’mon, man. You know the point I’m making here is valid. I recognize that your job does not involve ripping players. And that is fine. But….Drew Butler has been a pretty poor performer since he has been here. And that goes back a lot further than when he was recently ( and in-explicably ) re-signed. To say that he has been struggling since that point……kinda comes across as trying to put a certain spin on it. And there is just no way to spin it with Butler. He is NOT a good player.

17. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Struggling

What I wrote was not incorrect. Sorry if it doesn’t go far enough for you.

18. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Oh, so now we have an in-season competition?? I’m sorry, is that just another way of saying we’re still not gonna fix this yet?

We’ve gone from the ridiculous…to the sublime….to the abyss.

Maybe the fact that there has been SOOOOOOO much discussion about our PUNTER helps explain why we ain’t winning a SB this year. The focus is clearly on the wrong things when the PUNTER is getting this much attention.

19. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Darren –

I only just looked back a few blogs and saw your kind words in response to losing my mom this weekend. Thanks so much for that. Gonna be awhile before “OK” returns to the picture. As many of us do, we look to sports to provide the diversions from reality.

20. By dkerry5242 on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Plain and simple Butler STINKS. No brainer to move Wile up, as long as he can hold on field goals and extra points.

21. By dan on Dec 6, 2016 | Reply

Butler is so cheap they won’t cut him………anyway, back to the TD pass to JJ Nelson, hate to be a downer but man, Palmer already makes up his mind on where he is going with the football and it was a dangerous throw, in the meantime, if he could actually scan the field and look at more than 1 guy in his mind…….Larry Fitz was WIDE open…….and I mean wide open and a 100 times safer throw………just saying, this is why he is not the answer. We need a stud like Andrew Luck……that dude is the ultimate QB.

22. By Joball on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Good God man. Just cut the bum already. Pretty sure we have a guy on the roster who can hold for the Cat man. The weird man crush with Butler continues. It’s like a never ending nightmare with this guy. Simple math: Butler: 35.4 net yards ….. Wile 52 net yards. Butler = the worst punter in all of football. If Wile is even average to below average.. it’s a win for the cardinals. Why is there a competition?

23. By mitchaz on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

It seems like the Cardinals are doing everything they can to make things harder on themselves this year.

The offense has moved the ball very well between the 20s largely because of the stellar double threat they have in RB David Johnson and the extraordinary competitiveness of WR Larry Fitzgerald, and yet so often when they get into the red zone they go away from Johnson and Fitzgerald in favor of trying to squeeze ill-advised passes into lesser productive targets.

This last week versus Washington we saw a noticeable change in the red zone. They called David Johnson’s number—and it worked. They screwed up once when for whatever reason they tried to throw a fade to Michael Floyd with Washington’s best cover CB, Josh Norman, draped all over him. Later, BA made a better call, by using Fitz as a decoy on a crossing route and having Floyd (who this time did not have Norman on him) run a perfectly timed switch route. The offense put up a Johnson—as in 31 points on the board.

How about carrying over this momentum into this week’s game.

What certainly is not helping is the once gain dubious handling of the punting situation. Again, why do the Cardinals choose to make things so hard on themselves?

Clearly, Drew Butler is not flipping field position and hasn’t consistently throughout his entire tenure with the Cardinals. So, they bring in Matt Wile who boomed two 50+ yard punts against them and flipped the field twice—only—no—he’s got to be able to hold for Catanzaro, so Wile is signed to the practice squad.

Now—how awkward is this going to be. Butler will be on hand to watch Wile take numerous punt reps and a myriad of snaps to practice holding. Surely, the team will be watching as this drama unfolds.

Meanwhile—Drew Stanton could become the holder for 4 games—better yet, how about Larry Fitzgerald who has the best pair of hands on the planet? Give Fitz 10 reps and he will be ready to hold in his sleep. Imagine too how amped Catanzaro would be to have Larry Legend holding for him. Stanton or Fitz would be a huge upgrade over Butler holding anyway.

In close games, Catanzaro’s FGs can make the difference (as we have seen and not seen)–why not give him the BEST chance?

At the same time why not replace Butler with a much stronger leg in Wile?

What’s worse is that with good momentum in their favor following the Washington game, now this week of practice will manifest an unwelcome side show and distraction. The timing of this “indecision” could not be worse.

24. By jeffcardinalfan on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

it is mind boggling that the cards cant find a decent punter…just like we went years after bakken retired with lousy kickers…or going years without a good left tackle…

imho all qb’s and punters should b taught to hold in high school…why in the world would a college qb or punter not insist on learning to hold if he plans on an nfl career??? surely all nfl teams have a guy who can hold or punt in an emergency much as they have a position player to b emergency qb…being able to hold might actually make the difference when teams designate their 3rd qb…

again, just mho, but why didn’t the cards bring in 10 punters for a tryout and sign the best one that could also hold?

it would make sense for every nfl team to have a list of players for each position that they could bring in if necessary…(I refuse to believe that patriots don’t have a list of 5 punters they could sign if necessary…they always seem to have at least 2 qbs they can bring in if needed, or am I just stupid??)

and with all that it is wonderful that the cards are still alive for playoffs…8-7-1 mite even get them in but I feel they must win out…nervous about beating the fins and hawks but ‘sking game was imho cards best all around game this year so its possible for this team to win out

where would we b if not for the ol injuries and the stupid special team issues??…cards r still one of the better teams in the nfl.

25. By BillyJim on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

“Butler has struggled since he came to the league”**** there, fixed it for you.

26. By Louis on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Drew is still on the team because he has something on Steve Keim. Similar to Jeff Fishers inexplicable extension in LA

27. By michael on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

tiebreaker with the Bucs is kind of a moot point, as they don’t have a tie. sure helps us with the team from Washintgon DC, who also have a tie. But we need the Buc to lose two more game (or lose one and tie one, in which case the tiebreaker WOULD come in to play)

28. By John S on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Bottom line is we could be doing better in the punting department. Frankly, I was a little surprised we let Quigly go at the time, seemed to be filling the roll a bit better, even if he may not have been the long term solution. Not sure if this Wile is the answer, or anybody dropping in new this late in the season, but the position certainly should be one of many off-season projects to work on…

29. By JoeyK on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Wile isnt any better than Butler. Both have the same stats and since BA likes Butler cause he can hold, i bet hes gonna be sticking around a little longer.

30. By lacardinalsfan on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

The only reason we would be in a position to make a key FG is because Butler has given the other team amazing field position 4 times a game and allowed them to keep it close.

Urban I have been one of your biggest fans for what feels, and probably is, a decade. Always defend your remarks to posters because your job is tough to walk that line.

Here though it is tough to defend you snapping back at posters that are upset about Butler. Or correcting your mistake that Butler has been bad since coming back.

Bottom line Butler should have been cut after the first Carolina playoff game. Any effort to defend his skill set or why this team of MB/SK/BA are keeping him on this roster are futile.

I am sure I will get a “Im sorry I didnt go far enough for you” response if I get any, and that is fine. Just dont try to feed us avid fans a line of junk when we know what we are seeing.

Butler needs to go…

31. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

lacardinals —

RE: Junk

I never fed anyone junk, nor do I ever. And I am confused why people are saying I made a mistake. I made no mistake. He has been struggling since he came back. So how is that wrong?

Had he struggled before that? Yes. I also have never defended them keeping/signing him. If I have, please show where I have. All I have done is let people know what they are saying when they defend it. Somehow people want to put those words in my mouth.

It’s like those who get mad saying we asking the questions never ask that question about Butler. Yes. Yes we do. The answers are deflected, usually. And people get mad at the answers and at us, like we are then supposed to stand up and yell at Arians or Keim “Liar!” Doesn’t work that way. We’ve asked many times about Butler. They answer. We report.

32. By Jon Elder on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Darren —

The sentance “Butler has struggled since returning to the Cardinals following a severe ankle injury…” implies that Butler’s game is fundamentally different since coming back from injury.

It isn’t, and your sentance is therefore inaccurate.

33. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Jon —

RE: Implies

I can’t help what you infer. I put that line in there to remind why they cut him originally, and why he had to return (as opposed to be here the whole time). Again, not inaccurate.

34. By NYCardinals on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Its like that old AM Radio show Coast to Coast — conspiracy theories everywhere. “. . . rumblings of Keim doing his own thing . . . trying everything he can to NOT fix things . . . Butler’s getting the ‘good ol boy’ treatment.”

By all means, continue. This is great entertainment.

35. By D on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

DJ, our modern day Walter Payton, needs about 75 yrds per game in receiving to make great history, it’s going to be difficult, you think he can do it Darren?

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

D —

RE: David Johnson

He’s got a better shot now than I thought he did a week ago.

37. By JTDG on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

People on this board,

Are you kidding me? Scott H, says thanks for the kind words Darren shared over Scott losing his Mom and 2 people give thumbs down?

Really?? This board has hit an all time low.

Scott, I lost my Mom in 2010. I wish I could say it will get easier, but I still miss her often. I know Darren lost his Father a short time ago, and others have lost people they love on here also.

I pray you and all those who lost loved ones, to find peace during this Christmas season.

38. By JTDG on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

I appreciate your writing style. You don’t confuse what BA or Keim is saying with your own opinions. It is up to the fans to determine how they feel from what Keim has said or BA has said.

I do have to say, I get both sides of this argument about Butler. You stated the facts, that since Butler has returned from injury, he has been bad. Absolutely true. While some are reading that and thinking you are implying he was good before and has only been bad since returning.

I know that is not what you meant. But I get why some may read it that way. Bottom line, you do not hire or coach the punters or any other players on the team. you don’t defend them or push your opinion or agenda for the team. You rarely voice your opinion unless directly asked.

So, if fans are unhappy, the anger and frustration should be towards Keim or BA or both. You are simply the messenger.

You know I have not been happy with comments from Steve Keim from time to time and accused him of smoke screens, ect. But that is because you reported the facts of the conversation and left your opinion out. I never direct any of it towards you, because you didn’t say it, you didn’t do it, and basically, had nothing to do with it.

A good reporter reports the news and lets the fans decide. I think you have done that consistently. I appreciate you style and professionalism.

39. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Style

I appreciate that.

I also appreciate that you finally took my shorthand and started calling yourself JTDG. So much quicker!

40. By Dr. G. on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Still LMAO at the guy who posted that Butler must have some “”neked pictures”” of someone in charge…that was fresh…

41. By Paul on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Sweet! I was wishing we had when I watched the game a couple weeks ago! I hope he starts sooner rather than later!

42. By lacardinalsfan on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Urban,

Thank you for the thorough response. I mean it, sometimes as fans we can be fanatic and to be honest it can be tough because we dont get to hear all the questions you guys ask. As for putting words in your mouth, I am not sure any of us did, we are just pointing out that you didnt say how bad he has been for 3 years. By not bringing that up it does sound like you are defending him and giving him an excuse.

But I digress. As I said I am huge fan of yours and think you do an amazing job giving us insight to the team.

I guess my absolute disgust for seeing Butler receive a snap and attempt to punt has clouded my overall judgement. Like someone else said, I CANNOT WAIT to no longer be talking about a punter.

43. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

lacardinals —

RE: Punter talk

I would include myself in the “cannot wait” category.

44. By Christian on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Just so everyone knows, the punter usually holds because he has the most time in practice to do so. It is hard to have a backup qb be the actual holder because he also is responsible for running the scout team. Also, you usually want to be careful switching holders midseason. Being a holder requires a degree of chemistry/consistency with the kicker, so plenty of practice is required. Which again hurts the argument for a backup qb, since he has scout team to run.

Not saying I’m a fan of Butler, but the part about needing a holder wasn’t just smoke.

45. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

JTDG –

Thanks for the kind words, bro. And your support. But, really, don’t even trip on that. Just move on. I’ve long suspected that there are people who don’t even read the posts – they just look at who it is from and they react to that. And perhaps ANYONE giving a thumbs down to a post related to the passing of a parent or any other loved one is the best evidence we have that my theory may be true. I’m just gonna feel sad for anyone shallow enough to do that and look forward to this Sunday!

46. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Darren –

No, what you said was not in-accurate. And I don’t think I accused you of that. But I will say that perhaps what you said was not entirely accurate, either.

If I may? Perhaps a better phrasing of that statement may have been – Butler has CONTINUED to struggle since his return to the Cardinals. That is fair, reasonable, AND accurate, yes?

But let the record show that I do not believe I have ever offered an “edit” of any statement you have ever made, so….that must mean I have the utmost respect for your blogs, whether I agree with everything or not. 🙂

47. By clssylssy on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Wow…kinda surprised that it’s late Wednesday afternoon and all that anybody want to talk about is the punter situation when we have a big game on Sunday.
    After our win against Washington, I was expecting a little more excitement and buzz, but instead just the same ole, same ole, AS IF whinning was going to change things!
    I hear on the radio that HB is “doubtful” again this week, and I’m wondering what’s the matter with his shoulder that has kept him from practicing/playing all this time, and if it’s more serious than believed at first? Is he going to be back to help out in the home stretch or is he done for the season?
    If we can win this in Miami, and the Packers can finally get their revenge on the Hawks (can always hope), and the Bucs lose in the Dome, this COULD BE major for us. Of course Miami has a RB who is about as good as David Johnson and our defense is going to have to be on their game AGAIN. But, as BA said, we need another win to keep this train moving forward. Let’s get some energy and motivation, cause it ain’t over till it’s over and we’ve had our “rest” already!

48. By Jon Elder on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren, just want to say ditto on all the people who appreciate your writing style and articles. Hell, I appreciate you getting down in the mud and debating this stuff with us at all. And posting our unfiltered comments on this and allowing the debate in the first place.

While Imay not agree with the phrasing of one sentance in one tiny little article, I certainly agree with others when I say that I think you do an overall very excellent job. So….thank you.

49. By Joe on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Correct me if I am wrong,but wasn’t Wile the holder for the Falcons against the Cards? Their kicker, Matt Bryant,made a 45 yards field goal and all 5 extra points,so Wile must be a pretty decent holder.He needs to be on the active roster,time to have a punter that can boom it,and flip field position!

50. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2016 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Wile

Matt Schaub was the holder in that game.

51. By Wild Blue Yonder on Dec 7, 2016 | Reply

Scott H.,

Sorry, but I won’t let it go that a couple of unmentionable people (Darren would refuse to post my comments if I wrote what I really think) would give you Thumbs Down after you thanked Darren for his kind words regarding your Mom’s passing.

If they had any courage, they would own up to what they did and explain why they did that, but people like that don’t have the guts to do that.

They probably didn’t have a loving relationship with their Mom or Dad.

52. By clssylssy on Dec 8, 2016 | Reply

Excellent “inside the Numbers” Edition. We need to keep this kind of positive thinking as a motivational tool to remind us what it takes for us to win in the way we are capable of doing.
    Let’s keep this thing going, and the records falling as we move forward. At this point, we are underdogs and considered a “sleeper team”, which, historically is when we play our best! Let’s remember who we are and what we’re capable of and shock the nonbelievers! Come On Birdgang, We Can Do It!

53. By Scott H on Dec 8, 2016 | Reply

Wild Blue Yonder –

Thanks, bro. I’m not a fan of the whole thumbs up / down thing for that very reason. I think if you have an opinion at all, express it and put your name on it. Stand behind it. And it has nothing to do with me losing my mom or anything personal like that. Let’s just focus on posts related to the Cardinals / players / coaches / the games / etc.

Too many times, I’ll see a whole bunch of negative ratings to a post but when you look at the responses that follow it, you may not find a single one where anyone responds directly, offers an opinion, explains their reaction, presents an agruement, whatever.

Just seems to me that in a forum that is all about opinions, you should have one. Otherwise, why are you here at all?

I appreciate your thoughts on that.

54. By JTDG on Dec 8, 2016 | Reply

Scott H,

hey I beat you. I got 3 thumbs down supporting you. 🙂

But to your point, I have wrote things like Larry is great and get thumbs down. Such a baby thing to do. I wish people would grow up, but truth be told, they have no argument.

When people are going to lose an argument or have no ground to stand on, they either call you names or just give thumbs down.

I really do not like Jim Rome’s show ever since he took the cheap shot at Jim Everett, but one good thing he does have, is come strong or don’t come at all.
    Exactly how I feel.

Heck I have a post last week with 80 thumbs up or down. 45 up and 35 down. With that, I think I had 2 people actually speak to the comments that I am wrong and only one made sense.

55. By sbrown on Dec 8, 2016 | Reply

Darren –
    ( back to a punter / holder question )

while I get what BA stated that holding is important, I have a question for you.

Say during a game, Butler the punter goes in, and gets run into / blasted and ends up injured and is out for the rest of the game.

We did see Cat Man come in and emergency punt, but my question now is what would the Cardinals do about a holder for the rest of the game ?

Go for 2, after a touchdown, and not kick any field goals ?
    I find it hard that no one on the 53 man, has never ever held for kicks, sometime in their playing career
    OK if teams don’t use their #2 QB, but why not a defensive back / wide receiver who is good with his hands, that could fill in as the holder.

With all the talk this week, this is one question that I don’t think has been asked.

56. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2016 | Reply

sbrown —

RE: Holder

I would guess it’d be Stanton. But I do not know.

57. By Scott H on Dec 9, 2016 | Reply

JTDG –

And the hits just keep on comin’!

Yeah, I could have told ya, supporting my posts will probably never make you many friends around here. But your point is right on – I could say right now that I think the Cardinals are gonna find their groove, get on a late season roll, and ride it all the way to the SB THIS year. And I would still get thumbs downs. Go figure.

58. By Joe C. on Dec 11, 2016 | Reply

I also think you do a fine job. However, I’m not sure why you have avoided answering whether Daryl Washington has ever held for field goals?