Campbell: Hit “definitely wasn’t on purpose”

Posted by Darren Urban on December 12, 2016 – 2:44 pm

Cardinals defensive tackle Calais Campbell got the cell number of Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill and texted an apology this morning, after Campbell’s low hit led to an ACL sprain for the QB. Tannehill was originally feared to have torn the ACL, but Dolphins coach Adam Gase said the news was better than expected after the MRI.

“In football, injuries happen too often,” Campbell said. “You try and eliminate them from the game, it’s never on purpose. You are playing as hard as you can and bad things happen sometimes. I’m glad it wasn’t as bad as it originally seemed. I’m definitely hoping he comes back this year. They’re a good team and there is a lot riding on it. So I’m praying for him.”

Campbell said he was just “playing hard” and as he came off the block of tackle Branden Albert, Albert gave him a push that helped propel Campbell downward.

“It definitely wasn’t on purpose,” Campbell said. “I’ve never been that kind of guy, I never will be that kind of guy.”

Gase agreed, saying in his press conference earlier Monday “Playing (against) Calais many times, he’s not a guy I would say is a dirty player. I’d be shocked to say he did that intentionally. The direction we were headed on the protection and how he had to slant, he was kind of leaning when he was getting blocked … I think it was one of those football things. I don’t think he meant anything intentional by it.”

“I don’t know if he could’ve caught himself,” Gase added. “He’s a big man. That would’ve been very tough.”

Campbell, who was fined earlier this season for a low hit on Cam Newton, could be fined again. He was not flagged on Sunday’s play, nor the hit on Newton.

2hmy3jf

Tags: , , , ,

56 Responses to “Campbell: Hit “definitely wasn’t on purpose””

1. By Dominik on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Trade a fourth rounder for Bradley Roby (from Denver) for the 2nd CB spot and give him the Bethel money!

2. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Dominik,

Why would Denver do that?

3. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Hello Darren,

Michael Floyd;

What is going on with the team in regards to Floyd (suspensions, ect) or will they wait for the league?

Tough season for him and what a way to head into FA. Hopefully, he gets any help he needs. He has talent and a bright future if he can figure it out.

For those who are not in AZ, it is being reported, Floyd was found passed out behind the wheel at 3am last night in Scottsdale. He was DUI and arrested

4. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Floyd

We will see. Arians talked about it today: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cardinals-Gather-Info-On-Michael-Floyd-Situation/84924225-b1c0-40ca-97c9-7e6b1ba74f4d

5. By dave smith on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

i am a long time fan of miami dolphins and your hit on RT was an accident,its football, things happenThe dolphins have hurt other quarterbacks and I dont feel like they were on purpose either.

6. By Don on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Seems pretty plain he was pushed, shouldn’t get fined.

7. By dobie on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Because the way Arian coaches that he does’t play rookies if Criis Johnson and Ellington didn’t get hurt I would say may be we would have never seen D J play they might even let him go to another team like they do a few of them that are playing very well on other teams

8. By TucsonTim on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Cam might not agree with you Calais

BTW how do you block passes and sac quarterbacks while you are falling to the ground ???

This is why the rule was made.

Campbell needs to be suspended. He’s mentally week and totally unfit to play in today’s NFL. He’s a liability and if there is any way to recoup his 15 million dollars I hope they do it

CEOs of small companies don’t get paid 15 million.

Campbell is an embarrassment. A symbol of an all or nothing season. He’s a veteran player who knows the speed of the game. He knew the pass was made and his hit was low and late.

Is that the kind of player you want to route for ???

Where are the big devastating legal hits when the game is on the line?

Oops did I just jump off sides?

9. By TucsonTim on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Watching MNF. Special teams play downs the football on the one. Do you think they practiced that??? Or just luck

Practice. That’s something the cardinals can skip

Who needs special teams and practice???

10. By TucsonTim on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Oh my. Special thanks to special teams. Safety

Seattle MVP… Amos Jones

11. By texascard on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Jtdg
    I say dont blow it up yet. 1. I dont think qb of future is going to be available. 2. Add stud mike. (i think alabama kid looks very good. 3. Floyds dui has me thinking second round wr. 4. Let cc walk and put the money towards quality cb. (thats going to upset a few of the faithful). 5. Keep minter move him to will and he will flourish. 6. Bucannon in the box safety. 7. Badger to nickel or slot corner 8. Oline fixes itself as it gets healthy this offseason. 9. 31…get on that bad motorscooter and ride.

12. By TucsonTim on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Wow. Special teams block a field goal. I guess special teams matter. I’m sure Amos Jones is watching and taking notes.

13. By CardsNation on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Of course, I know Campbell didn’t do that on purpose. He is neither not Suh nor Greg Hardy. I know his personality, his is one of the nicest guys in NFL.

14. By Marlin on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

The Steelers fired BA because he was stubborn. His insistence to keep certain coaches is unacceptable. Its not abut their coaching ability. In every business, sometimes you need new voices. His resistance to improving special teams is not explainable. As a very long time season ticket holder, I have to seriously consider next year. Its not about the results. Its about the stubborn attitude.

15. By creditcard on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

A Precious thought about Brit Golden playing safety:

Remember when we had Marquis Christian and we released him so that we could have two punters (one for holding a place kick and the other for actual punting). Not that a 2nd string QB, or a WR could catch a snap, place the ball on the turf, spin threads away, and give the ball a slight tilt.

I agree with BA and Kiem that no way on God’s Green Earth could a professional football athlete with a minimum of 8-10 years of playing a skilled position could possibly develop the skill within 1-week to catch a snap, place a football on the turf, spin the ball’s threads away from the kicker and give the ball a slight tilt. Completely Impossible.

I guess the Cards organization must believe that no professional athlete in the history of the NFL could pull off that incredible feat.

Thus, having two punters, and release an exceptional special teams player and a guy who would have been in the game playing safety vs. a WR subbing in, makes perfect logical sense.

BTW, Christian is also being seasoned for CB — and the Rams like his abilities.

Good move Cards. That move was stupidity on steroids.

16. By creditcard on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Precious thought about our Center”

We have three centers. Shippley, Boggs, and Broehm. The Cards were obviously concerned whether Shippley would be serviceable at center by having two other guys waiting in the wings.

Neither of these two guys can beat out Shippley, whose play is far below acceptable.

This leads me, now to wonder why the Cards going into the season was thin on the tackle position, knowing the Humphreys may / may not pan out. (As we speak, Humphreys is the Cards best lineman.)

Players that are retired due from a coaches decision, are better equipped to start for the Cards than current practice squad players … unreal

17. By creditcard on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

More thoughts:

I sure hope Kiem and company have learned their lesson, and have made the decision to see that Chandler Jones needs to walk. He is a mistake, and cost the Cards a 2nd round draft pick.

The best chance of the OLBs having large sack numbers is by having a sensation interior push. Once they do that (much like Denver,) … then the Cards will have big sack numbers from edge rushers.

I think they were hoping Robert Nkemdichie would provide this interior rush — to date, he is making Wendell Bryant look like a HOF.

18. By creditcard on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Even more thoughts:

Areas that need re-hauled:

1. O-line
    2. Special team coverage
    3. Safeties
    4. Another corner-back not named Pat Peterson
    5. ILB
    6. WR
    7. QB
    8. TE depth
    9. long snapper
    10. punter and probably kicker

Only a few areas of major concern

19. By CardsNation on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Dominik

Right thinking, but I think he worth more than a 4th round pick

20. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

We still have three games left and there are players out there on waivers, other teams are replacing injured players, what’s the holdup with Keim…or just a case of stubborn arrogance? Seems like a lot of that going around the front office…
    CC is not the kind of player to hurt one of his colleagues on purpose to win a game. He has been a leader in the locker room, is a Probowler (2/3 votes come from fellow players and coaches who know something about ability) and has represented the team well in the community and his pay is reflective of league standard for a veteran. This is professional football and injuries happen, it goes with the territory and especially in slippery conditions.
    Monday night’s game with the Ravens and Patriots should be required study of ALL Cardinals (players, coaches, and GM) as an example of how professional football should be played and the type of players that should be signed! Great game!

21. By CardsNation on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

creditcard-

2. We just need better special team players, we can’t do any fancy with the coverage.
    3.I don’t think safety is a concern since we have three talented safeties and we must at least keep Tony Jefferson.
    8. Normally, Arians is not using his TE as a receiver.Arians started to use Jermaine Gresham more often as a WR because of offensive struggle. TE is not an issue since we have Darren Fell and Gresham and they can catch and block, no worry.

Free agency:
    ***Fix the o-line issue
    Resign players like Tony Jefferson, etc.
    WR
    ILB perhaps

Draft:
    ***ILB
    **QB
    **WR
    ****CB

Again, we need someone has proven to be one of the best tackle or guards. Don’t ever trust Rookie linemen when your offensive line struggles like this.

Carson Palmer is valuable if he is protected. He made poor decisions because of the pressure. He is accurate as a QB, he rarely overthrows passes when a receiver is opened, just need to make better decisions.

We saw a diversity of plays recently: Wildcat, Jermaine more involved, screen and quick short passes, and WR run.

Defensively, we did great after 4 turnovers in the last game, especially the last quarter, quick third and out but the Cardinals struggles and have to punt and special team allowed a 20 yards return. Overall, offense and *******special team.****** We lost at least 5 games just because of the special team, otherwise, even the offense is struggling, we would’ve been 10-3 or even 11-2. And yet our offense score 20+ points consistently.

22. By Fasteddie on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Rough season been a fan since they moved here & we have had some bad teams & this years team is not 1 of them don’t know what happened but I still think they are still a good team with tons of potential 1st bad year under Bruce adversey is suppose to be good for us hopefully this will give them a chip on there shoulder for next year & we will be rewarded with a Super bowl I believe that we can do it not ready to give up yet go cards

23. By jasonc on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

So, if all of you guys are “lifelong” fans how can you be so anti-Keim and Arians? You do know that before they took over the leadership of this team we had a combined three winning seasons in 24 years. We had one season where we won 10 or more games in 24 years. With these guys at the helm, we have had three straight winning seasons with double-digit wins. This has been a tough year…for everyone. It has been a perfect storm of maladies throughout the entire team. Keim’s draft class has been really bad, Arians had an off year coaching, the offense has been off all year, and special teams has been abysmal. It took a perfect storm to derail this team. I believe that if the offense was clicking the kicking mistakes wouldn’t have mattered as much and if the kicking game wasn’t so poor we might have three more wins regardless of the offense. We have three more games this year and the possibility to have a fourth straight winning season (8-7-1 is technically a winning season) under Keim/Arians. They have earned the right to have an off year and it isn’t as if we have to blow anything up…this is still a talented roster and we will have flexibility this off-season.

24. By dobie on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Campbell did not hit cry baby Cam Newton low on purpose he was falling down on that one too

25. By Andy Kw on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

We need a cornerback better than Marcus Cooper. Cooper should be brought back because he can play both CB & safety. His experience as a starter is valuable & he has had success. Bethel has to go. Give those special team duties to Brandon Williams, who was one of the better ST players at Texas A&M. Williams is still far from ready.

Instead of looking at free agents, who will likely demand a lot, why not consider CBs in the draft?

Teez Tabor has a lot of red flags but playmaking ability is there. Quincy Wilson is pretty good too & I see a lot of similarities compared to Patrick Peterson. Both are juniors so we will have to see if they declare.
    Rasul Douglas is a big fast corner that I think will be available in the 3rd Round.

Just something the Cardinals should consider:
    Round 1: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan(trade down to get a 1st & 3rd)
    Round 2: Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
    Round 3: Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia
    Round 3: Conor McDermott, OT, UCLA (from trade)

(We get our star WR that will replace Larry Fitzgerald one day and our franchise QB that will lead the Cardinals to a Super Bowl. Rasul Douglas is a CB that I feel is NFL ready. He plays with good instincts, matured a lot, hard worker, and has a total of 8 interceptions on the season. A big physical defensive back that can be played anywhere in the defensive backfield. McDermott has the physical tools to succeed. Give him one year to understand the speed of the game/system and he will be one of the best OTs in the NFL. The Cardinals need to build their line with STRONG guys. Wetzel, John, Watford will all get beat by those big strong DL because they are all weak. Humphries is living up to expectations now and I’m very pleased to see that)

26. By clssylssy on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

You know the league has put you on the “Loser’s List” when they schedule you to play on a different continent in a no-name soccer field against a perennial losing them who just fired their HC because he surpassed the NFL record for losing games! (We don’t even get to play “the big stage” at Wembley). Thank you Mr. Bidwill for supporting the fans who have been selling out your stadium since it was built and given you a waiting list for the first time in franchise history. At least the players aren’t the only ones getting thrown under the bus!
    Funny that a few of us were just wondering if our season would land us on the “Loser List”; guess there’s still “Hard Knocks” for affirmation that the elevator ride is about to come to a rude stop!

27. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: “Loser list”

1) The Cardinals don’t give up a home game so I’m not sure how they are throwing Arizona fans under the bus.
    2) It’s not a soccer field. That’s Wembley, your “big stage.” It’s a rugby field.
    3) I get the fans who don’t agree with sending games overseas. But if you are using that as an example of the league seeing the Cardinals as losers, then you have to include on that list the Ravens and Giants and Cowboys and Patriots. Heck, the Patriots and Giants have played in London twice, so does that make them double losers?

28. By JTDG on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Texascard,

I agree with most of your points. I wouldn’t bring Minter back though. If you use the CC money towards a CB like Stephon Gilmore, than I would agree there also, but I would try to sign Campbell back.

I also really like Foster from Bama. Watching his games, he is a stud and couldn’t be disappointed with that pick. But for me, I think this offense lacked big play ablity this year and you can’t hope John Brown returns to form. I like JuJu Smith or Mike Williams in round one and come back with Jarrad Davis, LB from Florida in round 2.

29. By JTDG on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy,

I thought it is a road game?

30. By Dominik on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

JTDG

Look, next year is Bradley Robys contract year. So Denver have to extend him in a year.
    Denver have a strong secondary with Talib, Harris Jr., Ward, Stewart and Co. This season Roby plays only three games as a starter. For a player like him is that not enough. Elway and Roby – both know this.

Talib is under contract til 2020.
    Harris is under contract til 2020.
    Ward is under contract til 2018.
    Stewart is under contract til 2021.

The question is: Is Roby satisfied with this outlooks or ‘ll he more playing time?

31. By JTDG on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Andy KW,

Corey Davis is climbing on everyone’s boards already. He is smooth and will be an excellent receiver. I could see him excelling in the “Fitz Role” when Larry leaves.

But for me, I want the guy who can make big plays and is that deep threat. To me, JuJu Smith is a big play waiting to happen. He is big and fast and can get the ball deep. He is what Floyd was suppose to be.

Mike Williams is the other receiver I would be more incline to take. He can stretch the field and really tracks the ball well down field. Kind of like a Dez Bryant.

While Davis is smooth, I would look at the speed and big play ability of the other two.

As for CB, I don’t want to hope someone develops, knowing this is probably Fitz’s last year. I want to be all in and know we have a CB who can play.

32. By JTDG on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

jasonc,

I agree with most of what you wrote. I think everything could be fixed to make a serious run at the superbowl in 2017.

I also believe BA is the coach who can get us there, as Palmer is the QB.

Where we differ is, I just don’t have the faith in Keim getting it done. He didn’t this year. You can’t really argue that fact. He could have, but made huge mistakes.

I hope he learns from his mistakes and makes the right moves. We win it all and he is named GM of the year. That would be so much more fun than sitting in the stands watching ram fans celebrate beating you at home. For fans that just watch on TV, the other teams fans can be very annoying.

On a different note, I did hear BA yesterday say something really interesting. He made a comment that Humphries can play a lot of spots, including guard. I personally think, if you had a stud tackle picked up in FA (say Rielly Rieff) to play RT, Humphries would make an excellent RG.

Our guards have struggled in pass protection, and he would improve that area inside and he is pretty good at drive blocking. I know it isn’t going to happen, but I would love to see it. What is your thought on that?

33. By JTDG on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Dominik,

If I am Elway, there is no way I trade him.
    He is their slot CB and does an excellent job. He is a first round pick, so the Broncos have him for 5 years. They have a 5th year option. His hit is only 2 million against the cap.

Roby’s stats are excellent as a slot guy. He has 8 passes defensed and 2 picks to go with a sack. Those stats are better than Badgers in his 9 starts.

So, if you are Elway (and not a card fan), would you make that trade? Especially for a third day pick?

34. By clssylssy on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Darren & JTDG…
    Yes, it is a road game, however, since the Rams have moved to LA, in theory that SHOULD be like getting an extra home game since it is well within driving distance and being a day trip. Going to California for football is a piece of cake and kinda something a family can look forward to, a mini vaca even.
    And, rugby…soccer, whatever…it could be a cow pasture, the fact remains that it is EXTREMELY costly for fans to travel to Europe to see our team play, and that is the least concern, now we have terrorism, not to mention HORRIBLE jet lag and the fact that it takes days to recover. Our team doesn’t even travel well to the East coast or do well in rain…which is going to be practically a guaranteed loss on our schedule as London is both rainy/cold and more than three time zones away! At least Wembley is a little more prestigious (which is probably why the Ravens are playing there).
    And, while I am aware that the Patriots and Giants have played in London, unless you have a losing schedule, it is by choice that teams go, usually because they get something in return–like a Superbowl. The Rams chose to give up a home game b/c their new billion dollar sports complex won’t be finished and teams without much of a loyal fanbase have little to lose. KC had a bad season, got sent to London and the longtime season ticket holders were livid! Since this isn’t a home game, presumably we’ll get something in return? I remember reading some time back that teams who were contender teams weren’t required to participate in the International Series, (much like Hard Knocks) so, you can see that it’s like rubbing salt in a wound to loss out on the playoffs one week, only to learn that your team will be playing on a different continent next season! And we’re suppose to look forward to 2017? Perhaps, it won’t matter but the timing of this announcement sort of sucks!
    Maybe the new Pres will put the kabash on the NFL’s exporting it’s foreign business…we can hope. Guess we should be happy we’re not scheduled for China, although it would probably be closer and safer.

35. By D on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Maybe I have missed BA’s comments this year on D. Bucannon and him staying at playing LB. Since both Swearinger and Jefferson are free agents at the end of the year would BA and Keim think about moving DBuc back to strong safety and acquire a more bigger/physical true ILB for this defense?. Or he will stay at his current role as long as BA is the HC.

This team is more built on speed and have neglected size, I would think a Donte Hightower or a Brandon Spikes would bring more of a Thump to the Cards interior Defense. This defense currently doesn’t scare anyone with the threat of great bodily harm.

I see a possible total overhaul of this unit. With Jones, Campbell, Swearinger, Jefferson, Minter all free agents. This unit does need a healthy Honey-badger next year in which I wouldn’t risk any further damage by playing him in the last few games just to get out there. I do think AZ could finally find a starting CB in this year’s draft as it appears to be rich in talent at the CB spot.

36. By jasonc on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

JTDG-

This is my first year as a season ticket holder and I have attended every game so please believe I understand the opposition fan noise frustration.

We’ve debated about Keim before and while you are validated that his draft classes haven’t been great you don’t give him enough credit for the good picks and you kill him too much for injuries. I think when you encompass everything a GM needs to be Keim has done a great job here. People still think we have a talented roster and that is with the draft picks that didn’t, or haven’t panned out.

For the offensive line, I would move Humphries to left tackle where he is more comfortable and better equipped to handle the speed rusher. I think he struggled on the right side against power rushers and Vehldeer would do a better job there. My line up would be Humphries, Iupati, Boehm, free agent signing, Vehldeer. I wonder if Larry Warford will be available and what his free agent $$$ would be. He has struggled after a great start in Detroit because they moved from a power blocking scheme to a zone scheme and he doesn’t fit that mold.

37. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Must be tough to be Calais Campbell…..he gets ripped here for not getting to the QB often enough, and when he does, he gets fined for it.

Like the Cardinals, he just can’t win.

38. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

clssy –

Not that it’s an absolute thing, but it has seemed to me that the London games often involve a home game for a team that might not be drawing so well. In this case, it is actually a home game for the Rams that is going over-seas, yes? So, if ya look at it that way…..this isn’t a matter of the Cardinals being on anyone’s Loser List.

But as you know, I remain adamantly opposed to ANY regular season games being played in London – or ANYWHERE outside the cities where those teams play. The NFL just thinks of its bottom line, doesn’t give a %#@! about taking a home game away from the Jags or the Browns or whoever. And that is just wrong. Every NFL city has fans that care about their team and cherish the prescious 8 home games they get per season.

Said it before and I’ll say it again – give London the Pro Bowl. Frankly, they don’t know any better over there, so why not?? We solve two big problems right there- London gets football and a game that nobody wants finds a home that might actually appreciate it.

Where does it stop? I mean, at this point, is anyone going to be surprised when the NFL starts taking bids from other countries for the Super Bowl? What’s to stop them? If the owners know they can make more money by having the SB in London or Japan or Paris, do you think they’ll think twice about putting it there?? Please. Let Japan offer more for the SB than any American city will, and the owners won’t be able to sign that deal fast enough.

39. By JTDG on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

jasonc,

Warford is an interesting name and your point about changing the blocking scheme is a good one also.

My guy is Kevin Zietler. But Warford may be a more economical pick.

Why do you think Boehm is the center? I really didn’t see much in preseason, and as I pointed out a few blogs ago, as bad as the guard spot has been, he has never been mentioned as a replacement. I would think, if he is one of you top 5 lineman, he would be on the field.

As crazy as this sounds (and maybe a pipe dream) the jets are in cap hell next year. They are over the cap before the offseason has started. I would have to make a call and ask if they would be willing to trade Nick Mangold for a 3rd day pick. Mangold is still a very good center at 32 years old and is in the last year of his contract. Again, the Jets won’t take my calls, so I could only speculate if you could pry him away.

If 2017 is to be our year, can we really risk a center who may or may not be up for the challenge? I will agree that I believe that is what Keim will do, and I feel it is another possible blunder. Just like I said about going with Bethel and Williams at CB. (which would be another big blunder if they enter 2017 with them as CBs again)

Tough on Keim? That is a fair judgment on your part. He has done some good things.

I will say, most of my dislike for Humphries stems from the smoke screen Keim sends up. I don’t like politicians and I really don’t like someone telling me I should believe what he is saying when my own two eyes says something different.

In reality, he is improving and playing decent, but is still making mistakes and getting beat? Yes. Just say he is progressing and you are happy with his progress this year. I would be on board with that. But to say he is playing excellent? come on man !! Some of Keim’s comments he says, I don’t know how he can do it with a straight face.

I do like the way Humphries gets excited when the team scores. You can tell he likes being out there and loves the game. I think at this point, he is an average tackle. He does, however have room to grow into a good tackle.

As for me wanting Keim replaced, he didn’t come to this team in 2013. He has been the right hand man of Graves since 2009 draft and head of scouting for years before that. Go back and look at these drafts. At some point, you need to make a change, don’t you?

40. By JTDG on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

D,

I have been talking for a while about the move of Bucannon to Safety.

Interesting, Bickley was claiming on the radio, that this defense has no one who scares you, ie Vontez Burfict. I am not sure every defense needs that.

But I will tell you, QBs are fearful of Peterson. You keep throwing his way and he will make you pay. So, with easy pickings elsewhere, they stay away.

If money wasn’t an issue, I would bring back Jefferson at SS and move Bucannon to FS. The Steelers did this with Mike Mitchell. They sit in the middle of the field and come up and blast anyone catching the ball over the middle. If you have a solid CB opposite PP, and Badger bounces back, you can make that move. Now you have that fear factor.

As for bringing in a ILB, they need two. Minter has 63 tackles. Meanwhile, Zack Brown (remember when I wanted to trade for him last year from Tenn) has 121 tackles.

Zac Brown and Lawrence Timmons would be huge upgrades at ILB.
    At CB, I love Gilmore but a cheaper option could be AJ Bouye. His 12 passes defensed and pick along with his high PFF rating makes him the surprise CB to get paid 7-10 million a year.

Keep in mind, Cleveland will be looking to deal Joe Haden in the off season. His 11 million a year salary isn’t outrageous and will provide Cleveland with 8 mil in cap space. What they are wanting is still a question, but I would make that call.

I just cant stress this enough, Palmer and Fitz will count as 25% of the cap in 2017. In 2018, if both leave, you will have 34 million more in relief. Not to mention the 38 million of cap space in 2017. You also have options of releasing Bethel and Branch to save another 9 million in 2017.

there is money to get that CB, center, LBs, and resign Jefferson and Jones if you spread it more into the 2018 season and your 85 million in cap space.
    This offseason is Keim’s chance to prove me wrong and be all in. You can afford the players and you can fix this team if you are bold and roll the dice.

We will see.

41. By texascard on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Jtdg
    I think that jefferson, bucannon, badger, peterson and gilmore would have qbs around the league pissing themselves. That alone puts us back in the hunt. I love that idea. As for first round i agree that wr could become as limiting next year as cb was this year. I just think if we are going to make a run next year we CANNOT whiff in the first. Keim MUST find a quality contributor with the first pick this next year. If you say williams or juju is that guy then im in on both. Minter is not a mike but i think he is all in as card and i may be thinking with my emotions but why would he not be a very good will?

42. By JTDG on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

texascard,

Minter;

His lack of cover skills and lack of speed. In his career, he has no INTs and 2 total passes defensed.

That tells me he is a mike. Look, if he will take low dollar deal, sure resign him as Mike. But dang, I think we can find someone who could be on the field all 3 downs and effective in the passing game.

I mentioned Zac Brown above. In 46 starts he has 14 passes defensed, 7 ints, and 13 sacks. I would rather have him.

43. By jasonc on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

JTDG-

Without looking at cap space or anything like that I’d have to say it would be Boehm. You have to save money somewhere and draft picks filling starting roles plays into that. I can’t answer why he hasn’t been put in at guard…I would assume it’s because he hasn’t been practicing there, but I have no idea. If we will have the cap space to get a one year deal on a vet I’m all for that idea, however, I don’t want it to come at the expense of getting a guard/corner/resigning one of our own guys.

As far as Keim’s “blunder” you have to remember that he did bring in a veteran CB during the off-season named Mike Jenkins…I think he was one of the Jenkins boys but I’m not sure. He blew his ACL in the preseason game against Houston and they scrambled to make the Cooper trade. I don’t think they had any intention of starting Williams game one but Cooper didn’t have enough time to be ready to start. Bethel had the foot injury and I think the pressure associated with the contract he signed has compromised his confidence…similar to what I feared the pressure Cooper felt being a top 10 pick did to his confidence.

Keim is a politician and what he is saying to the media isn’t always for you. Some of what he is saying to the media is meant for the players to hear. Why wouldn’t he want to send a message of positivity to Humphries?

I don’t care what Keim’s title was before he was named GM. With Graves and Whiz running that ship I doubt he had the final call on any picks. Was his input there? Sure it was, but unless you’re the person calling the shots it’s unfair to judge the man. I think he has been average in the draft. With his 2016 class he has much to answer for…Nkemdiche so far is fulfilling the bust in boom or bust player. I think he either needs to have a phenomenal draft or this team needs to re-establish themselves as a contender or his seat may start to warm up. He can’t have another draft class like this year that is for certain.

44. By Wild Blue Yonder on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

After Arians is “released” after another losing season in 2017, maybe Michael will hire one of these “coaches in waiting”.

From the NFL website: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000753299/article/josh-mcdaniels-teryl-austin-top-coaching-candidates

45. By Joseph Robinett on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

God, Calais has such a good attitude. A gentle giant! Humble and dignified. I bet it would be very cool to play along side him. The guy wouldn’t want to hurt no one….

Good to hear about Scooby returning to the desert. He’s a tough dude, man. Nice pick up.

Michael Floyd, hard lessons, my brother.

A little strange to say, but I think the Card’s players are sometimes a little too nice, excluding Swearinger and Jefferson, and not enough on the nasty side.

46. By Eric G on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

Love the two most recent moves by the Cards, drop Butler and promote Wile, and sign Scooby Wright. Scooby is a football player, can’t wait to see him on the field in Cardinal red.

47. By Matt on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

I’ve been a long time silent reader of this blog from Darren. I want to pass on a massive thanks to Darren for everything he does, it’s really helpful to read some of the goings on within the team I support. I’ve also always enjoyed reading the analysis that a lot of you guys throw out there as it helped to get me up to speed. Currently I enjoy reading a lot of the draft posts from JTDG, as I hardly ever get to see the College scene.

Now a little backstory on my side. I’m a South African who lives in London. I started supporting the Cardinals during their 08/09 season culminating in their loss to the Steelers which was the first Super Bowl I ever watched. Being a South African the idea of American Football was insanely foreign to me. Cricket and Rugby were my sports, but when I started watching the NFL I truly fell in love with it to the point I’m actually quite fanatical and have made two visits to the University of Pheonix Stadium to see the Cardinals play. Only twice because coming from London it is massively expensive for me to do it. So when the International Series was announced I was over the moon to hear that I could watch the Cardinals play live again and this time I wouldn’t have to travel half the world to do it.

Yet now I’m being told by fellow fans that I don’t deserve that privilege (and believe me I know it’s a privilege) because, as Scott H puts it, “Frankly, they don’t know any better over there, so why not??”. So because I don’t live in America or Arizona I’m less of a fan? Because I can’t watch them live every weekend they play I don’t deserve the few chances I can get? What makes any of you “locals” that much more important then a fan who is halfway across the world? We BOTH support the Cardinals and we BOTH want the very best for this franchise. Had the Cardinals given up a HOME game I would have definitely been in agreement that it shouldn’t happen, but it wasn’t. It’s an away game that the Rams decided to pass up, it just so happens to be the one against us.

All I can say is I’m severely disillusioned by the fellow fans who have posted. I’ll always love the Cardinals, probably as much as any of you, yet apparently I’m not allowed to show that or watch them play unless I do it on your terms. This’ll likely be the first and last time I post on this as I really suddenly feel like I’m not allowed to. Like my opinion is irrelevant and my commentary doesn’t matter… But then I guess to a lot of you that’s probably exactly the case because I’m from a country not named America.

48. By Darren Urban on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

Matt —

RE: Posting

I appreciate you reading, and I’m glad you took the time to make your point.

49. By JTDG on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

Matt,

Thanks for the kind words.

I’m glad you get to see the cards play live. Sometimes I take it for granite (as for most things Americans take for granite). It was good to hear your story.

As for London, I am trying to talk my wife into making that trip. Vacation and a football game?? Are you kidding? Kids can miss school can’t they?

50. By Scott H on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

Matt –

Well, I think you are taking more offense to my comments than was intended. Maybe my words aren’t always the best, but I make no apologies for how I feel about this issue. To expand on a few things….

First, I consider this – if I want to see Big Ben or Buckingham Palace or the Queen of England, should I expect that those things should come to me just because I consider myself a fan of them and I want to see them? And my answer to myself is no. Those things exist in England and if I want to see them, then THERE is where I have to go. And if I don’t have the means to do it, then so be it. Maybe I’ll get there another time, maybe I won’t. Sometimes, we don’t get what we want. That’s just life sometimes.

When I say “Frankly, they don’t know any better, do they?” maybe it doesn’t come across as sounding very nice. But my point is valid – football is an American game and I just don’t believe that a stadium full of people in England is there to see that game with the same passion and intensity as a stadium in an American city. You can disagree, that’s fine. But I don’t think I’m wrong. To them, I think it is an interesting event. And maybe it’s fun for them and maybe they buy a Giants hat or a Broncos jersey just so they can wear it at the game and feel like a fan. Fine.

But there is NO WAY they have the same investment in that game / that team as the home-town fans of that team have made over the years they have been a fan. And for THAT reason, no, I do not believe these games should be taken away from them and sent to other places where it’s just an entertainment event like the circus or a play or a concert or whatever.

Am I being too territorial about the whole thing? Maybe. But I think it’s OK for me to feel that way.

And here is a question for you – how do you know that this was a game that the Rams just decided to “pass up?” Really?? You sure about that?? This is city that just got its team back after losing it 20-some years ago…..they’ve been back for one year…..and they’re just totally fine with “passing up” a home game to London? Um, I think plenty of fans there might have something to say about that. And they might not be as OK with it as you seem to think they are.

As for you feeling like you don’t want to post anymore because you feel like you’re not allowed to, well…..with all due respect, I think that is choice that you are making. No one dictated that to you. You are welcome here any time and I would love to continue this dialogue with you. But if YOU are deciding that you cannot do that because you are not allowed to or not welcome here….I don’t get that at all. But that is your choice, no one else’s.

51. By texascard on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

Granted

52. By clssylssy on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Matt —
    Sorry if you were offended by my comments, but, perhaps you have been a little overly sensitive. Being from another country, I don’t believe you understand the many reasons this “International Series” evokes pretty much, a universal negativity from our NFL fans. As most things are these days, it has more to do with politics and the greed of the powerful and little to do with the citizens of Europe or Asia.
    However, as I pointed out, and I’m sure you’ve gathered by now, this has been an EXTREMELY painful season for our fans, largely due to the over hyping and false hope sold to the extreme by our marketing department (more greed). Many of us have been long time fans and have spent huge amounts of money supporting this team, not to mention the sacrifices we made to pay for expensive season tickets, travel and memorabilia. So, yes, there is a tendency maybe to be a little possessive. Certainly, the old timers are not new to losing, because this is the oldest franchise to never win a SB and have only made the playoffs a handful of times.
    I guess the announcement that we would be playing the Rams in England next season wouldn’t have touched a nerve quite as painfully had we not just come off a terrible road loss against a team we should have beaten (much like the Rams) or our track record with games played in inclement weather even a few time zones away. It was like the Organization was saying,” oh well, hang in there and continue to spend you money supporting the team next year but we’re building in a guaranteed loss from the start, so be prepared”.
    I have traveled a lot, have been to Europe and know what an excruciatingly long and exhausting trip that flight to Heathrow is, under the best conditions (before all the extra security, etc). For most of our fans any road games, other than the ones to California,are beyond what families can afford and our season is short. So, sorry if we come off stingy with our football, it’s not personal. You even acknowledged the expense coming to see the Cards in Phoenix, and it’s no cheaper for the average American family.
    Again, sorry for offending you. My comments and reaction were knee-jerk, and more an expression of my disappointment toward the Cardinal Organization’s decisions that have plagued us this season. However, I would suggest if you are going to be a football fan of any franchise you develop a thicker skin as you will find American fans are pretty passionate and sometimes aren’t politically correct but rather harsh…even to fellow American fans!
    Glad to have you as a member of the Birdgang and appreciate your support.

53. By James on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

I don’t think it was on purpose, but damn he seems to always fall at the knees of quarterbacks..mostly because he’s being manhandled by OL.

One thing is certain in my mind…CC is underwhelming to say the least. Time for the Cards to move on and trade while CC still has any value whatsoever.

2. Dec 12, 2016: Campbell texts apology to Tannehill for low hit – NBCSports.com | Everyday News Update
  3. Dec 12, 2016: Campbell texts apology to Tannehill for low hit – NBCSports.com – News Usa Online
  4. Dec 12, 2016: Campbell Texts Apology To Tannehill For Low Hit – NBCSports.com | | All Breaking News