Keim: I expect Arians, Palmer, Fitz to return

Posted by Darren Urban on December 12, 2016 – 8:21 am

At the heart of his team, Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim thinks he has a pretty good idea he will have his top trio back next season. Asked Monday on his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7, Keim said “I know Coach (Bruce Arians) is coming back.” He did say Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald should be asked directly, but “based on conversations I had with them in training camp, I’d be surprised if they didn’t play next year.”

Of course, that’s next year, and the subject of next year is on the table because after Sunday’s loss, this year is down to three games with the playoffs all but out of the question.

Keim said this feeling doesn’t compare to the embarrassment he felt during that 58-0 loss in Seattle in late 2012, right before he got the GM job. “This is a constant frustration. I have a hard time putting your finger on issues as a whole. It starts with attention to detail, and … guys we were counting on to make big plays have not shown up with any consistency. That’s also very alarming for me.”

What about going forward?

“I have a pretty good feel (for what I want to do),” Keim said. “I really do feel like our core talent on offense and on defense is in place. … These last three games are critical for a lot of reasons. I want to identify who loves it. Which guys are passionate about the game. Who are our top competitors? If you’re not going to compete and not play with passion you’re not going to be on this roster in 2017.”

— While Keim said he was proud of the team for fighting back in the fourth quarter, there was plenty to improve. “The one thing I struggle with is the missed tackles,” he said, adding that technique is involved but he also sees it as a matter of want-to.

— The patchwork offensive line was up and down, particularly the right side. He liked how both money linebacker Deone Bucannon and left tackle D.J. Humphries were playing before their injuries (ankle and concussion, respectively). He thought newcomer Sio Moore made a couple of nice plays, and also noticed rookie cornerback Brandon Williams, who ended up playing 18 defensive snaps because of all the injuries. That was the most time Williams has spent on defense since the opener.

— Keim’s special teams evaluation: “Guys that we counted on, not getting it done. Starts with the snapper. It was an issue earlier in the year and we made the change, and I thought Aaron (Brewer) for most part done done a pretty good job. I don’t know how much the conditions had to do with it but he had a few rough snaps (Sunday). But Chandler (Catanzaro) still has to make kicks and he has to show more consistency. Same goes for Drew Butler. Those positions will obviously be evaluated and if we need to make changes, we will do it.”

— When it comes to leadership, Keim said that for the most part, the message is stronger coming from the locker room than coaches. And one issue that could be a factor goes back to what Keim said earlier, that guys the Cardinals were counting on to play well have not. The best leaders also play well. If the Cards’ top leaders aren’t playing well, it likely impacts the attempted leadership.

— Keim finished off by thanking the fans for the season despite the Cardinals failing to live up to expectations. He noted the tons of Cardinals fans in Miami for the game. That was something I noticed too — there was an appreciable roar from the stands on the Cards’ final TD and subsequent two-point conversion.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

53 Responses to “Keim: I expect Arians, Palmer, Fitz to return”

1. By D on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Finger pointing time of the year when the playoffs are out of question.

The players know, it’s the coaches job to find out what the big problem is in the locker room on this team/chemistry. It will come out eventually.

My guess: What’s the biggest change from last year to this year?

No, I am not talking about the bigger expectations or the loss of R. Johnson and Powers on Defense

The player brought in here to make a difference for 16 games, and has been absent the last few weeks when the team needed him the most…C. Jones.

Bill Belicheck has many rings not only from T. Brady but with mostly a no name defense throughout this current dynasty. Maybe more than $ is the reason why he dumped C. Jones for nothing.

I am not saying he is the total reason, because special teams has been a mess and there has been poor decisions made at times by the coaches, but when a so called Super bowl defense gets beat twice in a year by backup QB’s, there is a problem.

I believe C. Campbell has played great all year and should be moved up on Mr. Keim’s list as the first player to keep/resign. Yes, he is 30 yrs old, but he is still a force. Offer him a 3yr deal, with club option for 4th year.

If CC is the main player to keep and Not resign C. Jones, then his huge $ can be spread out to a few players. I would resign A. Okafor. He is giving his best effort with a torn Bicep.

I would take that $ and sign the following players: (if any are not franchised by current team)

M. Ingram OLB-Chargers –he would be cheaper than C. Jones and still give you 8-10 sacks due to CC still on the Dline.

K. Zeitler G. Bengals –would greatly improve the RG spot for next year, one of the better G’s in the league right now.

K. Stills WR Dolphins —he would be cheaper than M. Floyd.

I am not sure who to bring back at S. Cards can find another starting CB and future QB in the draft.

2. By CardsNation on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Larry and Arians must return. If we’re able to protect Palmer again, he is a valuable player. Well, get a good draft spot and dominate next year, hope Robert Nkemdiche becomes the next Vic Beasley.

Go Cardinals!

3. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Conversations were in training camp…this is now, and, things may look differently.
    Keim has failed to see the gravity of our situation all season, what would indicate he’s developed any insight since….the beginning of the regular season?
    We need a REAL NFL GM, if we ever expect to get back to the SB.

4. By dobie on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

On that block kick did any body see that the holder was trying to go to his right to get the ball or get the runner that got the ball but some one grab his ankle and he fell down don’t know if he would have made the play but is that legal to do to me that should be a hold or some kind of foul can some one tell me is that a penalty or not

5. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Fitz and Palmer will come back based on training camp comments?

OK, I think they come back for one more year, but a lot has happened since training camp. Might want to check in with them since Fitz said last week, he won’t be around to catch Gonzo.

Deone Bucannon playing well? Keim has average and good mixed up.
    He has no sacks and no INTs in 2016! He had 4 tackles yesterday.
    DWash, the guy’s spot he took, had more tackles, sacks and ints. Definitely huge drop off. Need a upgrade at ILB. A guy who makes plays.
    Won’t happen under Keim though.

6. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

This is an interesting comment from above;

Who are you talking about?
    Campbell has played well, Peterson has played well, Larry has played well, and overall Palmer has played well. The only other captain would be Badger. Are you commenting about Badger? Those are the captains, leaders. Not sure who else it would be.

This is something that needs to be followed up on. I have heard comments from BA and Keim all year about leadership. But the leaders have been with the team since 2013 and no issues in 2014 or 2015 and they have all played well except the injured Badger.

Soooooo………….

BA made a comment about not staying in their lanes and trying to get stats. With not knowing each defensive call, that is tough to say.
    But Campbell is the leader taking them on to the field and Keim took a shot at him about jumping offsides. The cards weren’t interested in extending Campbell but that would be strange, since he has been here since our superbowl run.

So, Chandler Jones comes to mind. Let’s face it, he needs the sacks to get the big money. Sack guys get the money. It seems Golden could have bought into this also, as I have noticed he has run by ball carries or not held the edge as he is trying to get sacks. It is also interesting that Swearinger got in trouble early with the dance, and Jefferson seems tight with them also.

If I had to guess, there are two groups in the cards locker. Those with Peterson, like Badger and Minter and those with Jones, like Golden and the safeties.

Darren, am I off base. If so, what is this leadership issue we have heard about all year.

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Leadership

I don’t know particulars, and even Keim was talking generally. It wasn’t like he was naming names. You make some fair points. I don’t know if I would break down the groups like you would. I don’t think it’s that black and white. It’s other stuff though. One of the criticisms of Golden his rookie year was losing contain and being too hyped to get the QB. That has nothing to do with Jones.

8. By TucsonTim on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

I guess the problem is God hates the Cardinals, because like the 3 dropped passes excuse, this time it only rained when the Cardinals had the ball. Seriously…

Like I said, no coaching accountability whatsoever. I really don’t understand Keim’s leadership ramble, babble.

If players aren’t showing up, there is a coaching problem…plain and simple.

And as many have said on this blog, this problem started last season. It was obvious after the Seattle game. We saw it in the playoffs. We saw it in the pre season. And we have seen it all season long. This team has a SERIOUS organizational issues. A tweak here or there won’t fix it and God knows this management team wont find the solution in the draft.

If this is really a results oriented league, I would suggest hiring a GM that has no ties with the Cardinal organization. Hiring from within was a comfortable…mistake.

Unfortunately, it’s time to look for a younger coach. Get away from this misbegotten Steeler’s mentality and look to the Belichick coaching tree. There’s a good young one there.

9. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

you ever wonder how similar Bucannon and Jefferson are?

Both are pretty close in size. both are in the box safeties more than FS. But look at their stats for their careers.

Bucannon has 38 starts, he has 286 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 INT, with 9 passes defensed

Jefferson has 30 starts, he has 271 tackles, 5 sacks and 2 ints, with 9 passes defensed.

Got to believe if Jefferson wants what he is worth next year, around 4-5 million a year, the cards may let him walk. If they do, it might be time to look for a playmaking LB who can blitz and has size to get into passing lanes and move Bucannon to safety.

10. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

I have a question for Cardinal fans;

While we are wondering if Fitz, Palmer, and BA return, the question has never been asked, Should they return?

Should the cards put the future on hold and make one last run with this bunch in 2017 ?

Or should they blow it up and hire a new coach (say Todd Haley in Pitt or Josh McDaniels in NE), draft a QB that fits their offense and build from there?

I would be interested in hearing what card fans actually think. Darren, I know you want no part of that question, but care to jump in?

11. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Future

You can ask the question of everyone. I can tell you they aren’t blowing it up with a new coach. So that’s a moot point. And frankly, if you are blowing out head coaches after one bad year following three straight good ones, what kind of organization are you?

12. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Patrick Peterson said in an interview, that the chemistry on the defense wasn’t the same this year, that last year the “guys” had played together for three or so years which accounted largely with the “chemistry”. IMO, a good GM would have recognized that as a critical ingredient to the success our defense, and, their ability to get interceptions, force turnovers, get sacks, etc., and wouldn’t have sacrificed that in our much hyped SB season.
    As for the leadership issue, BA has said that he leaves that “stuff” up to the leaders…the Captains (presumably) and he doesn’t have anything to do with that?
    Seriously??? I don’t believe Pete Carroll, or Bill Billchick, or John Harbaugh walk away and say, “Hmmm…not my problem”! And, I can’t believe that having one of our Captains sitting on the sidelines (after just getting a mega contract) could have helped our defense any, and, if he TM was going to be done for the season why didn’t they put him on IR and give his Captain duties to somebody else like Jefferson? It seems that some rather major decisions have just been minimized and this overly laid back attitude filtered it’s way down through the players.
    I do hope that SOMEBODY makes it a point to let players know that our season isn’t over yet and these coming games are going to be very, very critical to determining their future, either with this team or some place else and that it would be in THEIR best interest to play up to their full capabilities and WIN!

13. By Michael on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

A famous gymnastics coach once told me some very important words. ” If an athlete is successful, it is their fault. If an athlete is not successful, it is the coaches fault.” Upper management would do well to not put all the blame on the players. Poor decisions in the off season, questionable play calling, lack of discipline…these are all issues that fall on the Cardinals coaching staff. Injuries aside, this team fell into their own hype and Keim has no one to blame but himself and the coaches.

14. By Eric on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Michael Floyd got a DUI last night/early this morning. Bad year for him.

15. By krehbieo14 on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

The Cards had the tenth ranked offense and the second ranked defense with a record of 5-7-1. What does that tell you? It indicates to me that although we have issues on multiple fronts to be addressed next year, the special teams have almost singlehandedly blown up the season. Yesterday’s fiasco was the culmination of 3 years of an Amos Jones led unit that fell flat on its face. It’s not like the Cards fans and media didn’t plead with the organization about this weak link. On the contrary, fans were continuously irate over the snapping, holding and kicking of our punter and place kicker along with coverage issues. It appears that the Cardinals were too stubborn to address the problem. Without even looking at the Oline, etc. or leadership “accountability” issues, special teams my friends cost us the season.

16. By Eric G on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

JTDG,

Really? Just lost a lot of respect for you with that question. One bad season and BA should be fired? C’mon man. Palmer and Fitz return for one more run at it, definitely. As long as Palmer plays, Fitz will return. If Palmer retires, so too does Fitz IMO.

The real question is this, do the Cards draft a QB with the first pick next year to build for the future or a CB to help shore up the biggest weakness on defense for one last run next year. Right now, I choose CB to make that final run. QB can be addressed the following year with Stanton taking the reins.

17. By CardsNation on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

It’s funny that some fans want a new head coach and maybe sign Todd Bowles as a DC if he is fired. I’m telling u, if we do that, we are the next 49ers and I bet many of you know what happened to 49ers when Jim Harbaugh was fired after one disappointing season and yet that season wasn’t that disappointing.

Talking about chances, if the Seahawks lose rest of their games (Rams, Cardinals, 49ers) and we win all three, we will win the division. Well, it’s unlikely.

Get a good draft spot, get a tall physical WR since we have two of the fastest WR in NFL. Draft a QB. We have a speedy linebacker and we need another one aside from Deone Bucannon. Draft a good CB is also crucial.

We need to fix the offensive line issue through free agency, but not the draft. There are couple of reasons.
    1. Rookies offensive linemen are talented but they have a lot to learn. Also less reliable during their rookie year.
    2.We need someone who has proven to be one of the best at his position.
    3. Cardinals have a bad luck drafting one with Steve Keim and even before Steve Keim.

18. By danafrancis on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Man, tough year all-around. It seems that maybe it’s easier to succeed when expectations are low and no one expects much from you than when expectations are high, like they were for the Cards in 2016. I don’t know.

Hang in there Steve and Coach Arians; you’re a heck of a GM and head coach — the best duo the Cards have ever had. The road to a championship never did run smooth. And it will be that much sweeter when we get there.

I hope Fitz is back because he is still a solid player, and his leadership skills are essential. But I wonder how much more of this he really wants to deal with. I wouldn’t blame him if he called it quits. Hope we can get a solid QB to either start at some point in 2017, or at least to be “groomed” for the future. It’s time.

19. By krehbieo14 on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

I’m puzzled. I keep hearing from Keim and BA about these leaders who haven’t stepped up their game. Who are they? Peterson, Buccanon, Fitz, Palmer, Jefferson and Campbell have played well. Tyrann has been injured, so is it him? How about Chandler Jones who has tendency to disappear? I think that Keim and BA need to look in the mirror and figure out what they are talking about. In the mean time, I would be hesitant about offering Chandler Jones a long term contract. I think Belicek had it right.

20. By Big Ken on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

It’s bitter medicine to swallow. I think big changes need to be made or we will have a repeat season next year. I can’t stomach that. I’ve quit watching the games. Bill Bidwell Jr can’t be happy.

21. By don hill on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

fire Keim ? fire Ba ? blow it up , start over ?
    some of you people are ridiculous
    Keim’s drafts have been stellar
    his FA signings have been Brilliant
    Ba’s the best coach the Az Cardinals have EVER had .
    Palmer is the 2nd best QB the Az Cardinals EVER had
    i did like Lomax . Warner’s #1
    we did have a lot of turnover from last year .
    but in all instances . it was in an effort to improve .
    we wanted bigger secondary . Keim addressed it
    i blame the fall off on injuries , youth.
    the thinking was . we get more athletic on the back end , infuse youth .
    and our ST coverage would be better as well .
    anyone remember Mike Leach ?
    Keim’s biggest gaffe was the replacement at long snapper .
    who knew it would ruin an entire season .
    that 1 move is the reason people are pissing their pants .
    chin up Cards fans . better days are ahead .
    and to echo D . re-sign CC . let CJ walk .
    as for myself . i’d say draft a WR in the first round .
    we need to find Palmer’s replacement . i’m hoping we sign Glennon .
    or another vet that fits BA’s system . drafting QB’s is a crap shoot .
    i really don’t want to use a high pick on.
    we’ll be just fine at corner . Bethel was hurt all year . Williams just needs to develop and i like the guys we brought in . .our secondary will be much improved going forward . with people already on the roster .. our LB’s are fine , young , will continue to improve . add a couple studs in the 2nd , 3rd rounds. we need to re-sign Jefferson . and Okafor. and add some more depth at OL . and find a replacement for Mathis (Wetzel) . i expect Boehm to play in 2017.
    . punter will obviously be addressed . and it would be nice to find a great kicker a different ST’s coach might be nice as well.
    i’d extend Keim , McDonough , BA as soon as possible .
    GO CARDS ! ! ! !

22. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Urb: quick question. Sure looked like Cooper was speared n the back by, Landry was it? Dirty play to my eye. Isn’t blocking in back illegal? Also play appeared dead.

Paralysis from Analysis:

“The rain is not why the Cardinals lost, but it came down at times incredibly hard and it was weird how it did seem to kick up when the Cards had the ball.” “Proximate cause” seemed to be the rain. Metaphor for our destiny. Take away rain affected plays from each team, Cards win…ifs and buts, of course. Seemed like divine providence, destiny, Cards weren’t going to win, but they did NOT quit. Proud of that. Yet mental toughness failures might be proximate cause of so far a losing season.

My bottom line: Kiem got players, BA & staff coached em up, but it didn’t happen. Butler and Cat and snapper troika biggest problem. The special teams in general killed us, Lousy returns, lousy coverage, lousy kicking game all around, blocked kicks, bad snaps, missed blocks, missed tackles, complete nightmare…unprecedented. THAT was out season, If average in special teams we’re 9-4, even with all the other mistakes/failures.

A couple leaders get a LOT of $$, Badger (largely unavailable bc of injury). Badger cant really lead if cant play. PP who has had a great year, yet, despite his best intentions is not a mature leader. He talks smack (somewhat reduced), showboats, yet bc of his immense skill is out of the play most plays… so he’s not “leading” bc of combination of factors. And PP has lost the mojo on punt returns, he used to be a playmaker with ball, no success as punt returner, not a special teams or D leader, in fact. Locker room, who knows, maybe practices really well, cant see that. Fitz and Palmer highly paid, but model take responsibility guys. maybe need more, not less of them.

Its parsing too fine, I admit. But Bethel, Brandon Williams, Nkemdiche, Toner, Boehm,Branch, Minter, Nicklas, Mathis, Fua, Martin, Jenkins, Momah, Chris Johnson, Veldheer, Jaron Brown, John Brown, Mike Floyd, Watford, JJ Nelson earlier, C. Palmer earlier, Ellington, Catanzarro, Butler, all snappers, Iupati…all these guys unavailable bc of injury, or were invisible (or worse, like drops or missed tackles/blocks) when we needed them at times. That’s half the roster that have had poorer years or less of an impact than we might have “expected”. I dont think any of them packed it in, or quit. But when you get so much less from so many, that math adds up to a losing season, just too many didn’t deliver their best, many through no fault of their own. Bad luck meets, missed opportunities, human failure.

23. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Cooper hit

I can see why that is asked. No flag. I haven’t watched the replay more than once.

24. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

I know our special teams aint special thats for sure!
    We could have been in the mix of things still, with games against the patriots, seahawks and now the dolphins that should have been wins.
    We really felt the impact on losing our sold long snapper right away, butler should have been gone in the beginning of the season, and catman hasnt been consistent. We may as well give the new punter a try, nothing to lose at this point, also I’m surprise the center we drafted cant long snap? May as well see what we got out of these draft picks. Nkemdiche hopefully isnt a bust?
    Bottom line, we know what is broken we just need that right parts to fix it instead of putting back the old pieces thats not helping the problem.
    I know thats the million dollar questions but we arent the ones getting paid the big bucks to figure it out.
    Sorry small vent but thats what happens when you have loyal fans, you feel it down to the core!
    GO CARDS!!!

25. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

In 2014 and 2015 we had very good records because we won a lot of close games, sometimes coming from behind late (at home vs philadelphia in 2014 as an example) and we managed to stay relatively healthy with some exceptions such as Mathieu. This year we have lost the close games. I do not think we have played with the intensity I expected and, to be fair, we have had to deal with a lot of injuries but there is really no excuse for our losing record. We did not make enough big plays on both sides of the ball, especially when the game was on the line. We could not even make the routine plays (useless Michael Floyd’s drop against Seattle) and, more recently, Jefferson and Swearinger unable to tackle Landry late in the game to force a Miami punt. Instead the Dolphins gained about 60 yards. Our kicking game and our invisible return game have both already been discussed enough so I won’t bother to share my disgust with you although Cat’s 56 yarder yesterday surprised everyone. But it did not win the game. His chipshot miss against Seattle did cost us that game. We will not make the play-offs. Seattle will beat LA on Thursday and that will be it. It is time to see if some of our guys can play. Does Ellington have any future with us? Does Kerwin Williams? Does Bethel (I doubt it)? Does Stanton? Does our first round pick whose name escapes me (starts with N but is un-spellable and un-pronounceable at least to me)? Does Chandler Jones? I would sit Carson Palmer. He has taken enough punishment this year. I would limit David Johnson. Why put him at risk if the games are meaningless? Some have asked whether this team should be blown up? They cannot release everyone but this was the year to win the SuperBowl and it did not happen. It will not happen next year either, not with the guys in our locker room. There has been some discussion lately about leadership and several days ago I questioned Peterson’s leadership and many of you disagreed. Fair enough. But I noticed Peterson yesterday on the afore-mentioned Landry pass and run play. Peterson jogged down the field in pursuit. He did not run. I don’t care that he had no real chance of catching Landry. If he is a true leader on our team he would have been sprinting after Landry. That’s my rant for today and my last for this year. You can all breathe a sigh of relief.

26. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Darren and other fans,

It is a question. NOT MY OPINION. Several people on the radio and on this board has blamed BA for this year.

Anyone who reads anything I write knows who I blame, and it is not BA.
    Also, anyone who reads anything I write knows I support Palmer and want Fitz back. I personally would be all in and as I said, get Palmer a big time weapon in round 1 and protection in FA.

It was just a question to the board without my opinion. I was just asking for people to express their opinions about the topic since I have heard so many take that side in other media.

Eric G, Don Hill, re-read what I wrote. No opinion, just a question.

27. By krehbieo14 on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Sometimes our best qualities can also be our liabilities. At his presser today, Bruce Arians was asked if his coaching staff would be subject to change, particularly due the team’s debacle with special teams. In his typical outspoken manner, he defended Amos Jones by saying that he would retain ALL of his coaches. Although it is true that players must be held accountable to perform effectively, Amos Jones has failed in fielding a top notch special teams system for the last three years. This issue could be an area of contention moving forward. In my opinion, Jones should resign. If Arians fails to let him go, then the Cards may have their first major organizational crisis on their hands. I hope it doesn’t come to this point. If I interpreted the interview wrong, I am open to correction. Thanks.

28. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

WOW! The Rams actually fired Jeff Fisher…a week after signing him to an extension! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let us win against the Rams.. losing.that game would be the final humiliation! Except, it would be really nice if BA would quit throwing our players under the bus with the media, makes us REALLY look like a bush league organization! I can’t believe Michael Bidwill is happy with that.

29. By CARDS62 on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

JTDG AND ERIC G

First off JTDG is not saying the Cardinals should rebuild he is just asking for our input to a question.

Krehbieo14 gave some great stats even with all of our passing game problems this year we have the 10th ranked offense , and even with our defensive issues we are the 2nd ranked defense. Even if updated ranking are not exact it is easy to say that we are close to being a contender.
    JTDG I do not think Carson has played well this year. I know we have had line issues and WR issues all year, but Carson is not a young gun, he should know what needs to be done and in my opinion he has hurt us this year. Margin of error in NFL is just too small and with our unspecial teams, worse in the entire league, and poor pass game this year, and no second CB we are doomed. I am optimistic that our brain trust will tweak the offense and , blow up our special teams, and Carson will bounce back in 2017. I do think we have to carry 3 QBs next year and no Drew Stanton.

Some one said no Drew Butler next year is like a guarantee. Man I sure hope that is true, but he was worse his first year and we just keep bringing this guy back year after year after year. As long as Drew Butler is our punter we will have a major weakness compared to other contenders.

Go Cards – Play the young guys, stay healthy, draft well, and be wise in free agency.

30. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Well, what a BLACK Monday this is turning out to be. Playoff hopes gone…..season effectively over……Floyd arrested for DUI this morning…..injuries ending seasons for more players……I could go on, but why bother?

What a TOTAL implosion for Michael Floyd. He’s already turned in his worst season ever – during a contract year – and now an arrest for DUI and being found passed out behind the wheel of a running car????? What the hell has gone so wrong with this kid????? I swear, it boggles the mind. Clearly, he has bigger problems than his football career to deal with right now, but……that said, he HAS dealt his football career a devastating one-two punch. If he had played like he has shown he is capable of playing this year, this kid would be one of the most sought-after FA’s on the market after this season and let me tell ya, he could have gotten PAID. But now?? IF he is even able to play at all next year, it will probably be on a one-year flier type deal.

Now, on to Keim’s comments regarding players who might not be back next year……well, in reality as we know it, he doesn’t have to wait until next year to start sending the message he claims he wants to send. And when a team has fallen from a SB-favorite to effectively eliminated from the playoffs with 3 games left to play? No, you shouldn’t be waiting for the off-season. You should be sending the message that people will be held accountable NOW. See what the Rams did today with Jeff Fisher? GONE. Not getting the job done? Season over because you’re not getting the job done? GONE.

THAT is how you hold people accountable.

Sorry, Steve, but I’m not impressed with your tough talk about what you vow to do. And yet again, I come back to Drew Butler – the poster child for just how LOUSY a job you have done at holding players accountable. What a damn joke this is. You want to hold people accountable? Then, do it. And do it now. The message needs to be sent NOW. Coming out and saying it will be addressed at a later time, after the season, is just…..well, a bunch of crap. And it’s a bunch of crap we’ve been hearing enough of with no ACTION behind it.

Sorry to say, but Bethel ain’t the only failure in progress around here right now.

31. By TucsonTim on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

Arians: There will not be any coaching changes. Let me make that clear today (talking ST coordinator Amos Jones in particular)

i knew it.

Who wants to renew their season tickets now? Why is 2017 going to be different?

32. By Joseph Robinett on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

When Coach Arians retires, it will be contently so, I believe, for he will know, that he cared for his players and, as important, for his coaches, too. He is a loyalist to a fault but with a heart of gold. He could have released the special teams coach and punter and would have been applauded for it. But those people, both coach and player, have families, and bills to pay, and, thus, lives that matter more than the possibility of football victories.

The dilemma for a head coach such as Bruce Arians is this life about the cut throat business of football, or any other business, or about the real life of living and treating one another like you would want to be treated….

Bruce Arians is a greater person than he is a coach, and for that, I think, He’ll be just contently so….

33. By Rawdy on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

I am an Australian Cardinals supporter and have been involved in high level professional sports for decades. Some of the things I have learned over the years which holds true in all pro sports and will be no surprise to most of you:
    1. Once the bubble bursts on a veteran team on an upward spiral it usually takes several years to re-inflate
    2. It is only done through an injection of youth in key/ impact roles.
    3. Every year in every pro sport underdog teams surprise and it is always through A. the emergence of star young players and B. locker room chemistry
    The cowboys are an example of this, winning the lottery with 2 great rookies but the defence is well below average on paper – confidence is a wonderful thing.
    4. 99% of head coaches only have a shelf life of 4-5 years at one place
    5. However disfunctional / panicky management destroys franchises

In the Cardinals case, Keim and BA both deserve an opportunity to bounce back after one bad (ok really, really bad) year following 3 excellent years.

The core of great players and head coach should have one last ‘throw at the stumps’ (a cricketing term for you there) and we will need to get very lucky in free agency and draft after a poor year in both.

Any team also needs luck with injuries but I just haven’t seen the Cards improve in games this year – continually making repeated errors. Changes should have been made throughout the year. No one is too old to learn – BA’s apparent blind loyalty for example.

So lets hope things all fall in place for next year (for Fitz’s sake in particular) but odds are firmly against it and either way we MUST get a quarterback (Glennon?) on the books to take over from Palmer in 2018 and some young dynamic and hungry talent or we will have years in the wilderness and none of us want to go back there.

34. By Marlin on Dec 12, 2016 | Reply

JTDG,

You don’t understand leadership. Its very fragile. They are all good coaches. Its about a voice being heard and followed. This team failed across all sectors this year. They might be the most talented team in the league. Haven’t you noticed that Keim and BA are in total disagreement on what’s causing the losses! Get a clue. If you have ever led numbers of people you know, even your own voice, anyone’s… no matter how good, may fall on deaf ears. BA and his staff must go or we’re in for another losing season next year. Its not about the past. Its about the now and the future. And right now…. and as far as we can see into the future, this team is not being led effectively.

35. By JTDG on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

Rawdy,

Great points. I agree with everything you wrote (except the QB thing.)

To me, and I am in the minority, if you believe there is going to be a coaching change, (and personally I believe if Palmer and Fitz leave after 2017, BA will follow) then you need to let the new regime come in with their QB.

I look at the rams. I am not saying Goff is good or bad, just making a point, but if I am a new rams coached, I am stuck with this young QB and have to rely on him when he might not even fit my system. Think of Leinart. He fit Denny Greens system, but was a disaster in Whiz’s.

Now, if BA is going to stay for the next 5 years, then sure, get that young QB. But for me, and to your point, I would love to see a big, fast WR like Mike Williams or Ju Ju Smith-Shuster in round 1 to help in 2017 and be the guy when Larry leaves in 2018.

36. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

D –

RE: Stills – he would be cheaper than Floyd

Um, not anymore! Not after Floyd’s arrest. His value just went way down. Not that it hasn’t been going down every week this season, just based on how he’s been playing…..

37. By Rawdy on Dec 13, 2016 | Reply

JTDG,

Point taken. Whatever the plan may be for 2017, lets hope whoever is drafted can contribute significantly beyond just next year or the cupboard looks very bare to me.

38. By Matt on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

-I have to say replacing the kicker to me makes no sense. Did everyone forget in the course of one season that Chandler Cantanzaro is not an inaccurate kicker. even after this horrible year he has an 86% career accuracy rating. His first 2 years he probably won us at least 8-9 games and had one or two where he was the only reliable source of offence. As far as, I can tell it is more of an issue with the snapper and holder timing throwing off his kicks. If you watched the game on Sunday he was visibly agitated with Butler after that massive miss. That wouldn’t mean anything if that was the norm for him but usually when he misses he just looks annoyed at himself and walks off the field.
    -Punter though is probably the single most costly position for this team on a regular basis and has been for the better part of 5-6 years we just haven’t found an answer.
    -LB lets resign Buc and Jones I mean we finally have a legitimate tandem in golden and jones plus jones didnt have a big money year so lets resign him kind of cheap and if we can”t dump him.
    -ILB sign or draft someone with that can help cover over the middle and stack up over the middle against TEs with Buc. we need more speed there. This is probably our weakest link on D.
    -Draft a QB round 1 and lets get watson if we miss on him try for mayfield let them develop under carson for a year and turn him loose.
    -CB use the badger and Pat P.. on the outside and use branch in the slot.
    -OL for the love of god sign a center and a guard or two guards. we have two tackles who can be good we just need the inside to be better.
    -WR the cards have a knack for finding WRS lets just do that in this draft. Get rid of floyd he is a hindrance and is starting to have character issues. Most of that might be the fact that he is not producing but he needs to keep his crap together.
    -TE can we please find a TE to help us more in the pass game I realize that our TEs are used more in pass protection but on third down we have no big guys who come up with anything.
    -RB DAVID JOHNSON.
    -ST as for the special teams coach after three years i think it is safe to say it might be more than just an issue with those players and might be an issue with Amos jones.
    -GM and HC come on people these are probably the two most successful people we have ever had at the positions and you want to dump them after one bad year. that is like getting rid of the goat for missing the playoffs.
    I will also note this team is top 10 in Offense and Defense this year and probably a playoff caliber team. With any other special teams unit in the league we have 11-12 wins not 5. If anyone should be fired after this year for this record it is Amos Jones.

39. By Matt on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

I forgot DL let Campbell walk he is going on thirty and we need to get younger and face the fact the over the next 2-3 seasons he will decline and spending the money he will want is not economical . I think nkdimdiche might be able to fill in if not we could probably find someone to fill the role at a reduced level until we can draft a replacement.
    Fact is by the time we win an SB fitz will be off the team unless we hit a goldmine next year.

40. By Michael D Wellman on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

JTDG;
    Why would you even say something like that in the first place, be it an Opinion or otherwise?
    Or is you just Love to stir the pot and get everyone upset at, Who?
    Dang School Yard Prank, grow up.

And a Bunch of the rest of you already thinking Next year.
    Most of you talk about the Coaches/Front Office/Players not doing what you think should happen when all YOU are doing is throwing in the towel all because they didn’t make it to the playoffs.

Gut The TEAM and the Coaches, half of you don’t know which end of the knife to use the other half don’t even know where to start.
    CARDS FANS, I really wonder.

GO CARDS!!!

41. By Michael D Wellman on Dec 14, 2016 | Reply

Just had one of the Grand Kids call, She likes her AzCardinals, and asked me a question.

“Pops if you buy a car, say a new one, and drove it around for a year with very few problems. Then one morning you wake up and all four of the tires are flat, what would you do?”
    “I’d bye new Tires.” Right? Then she said something I did not think of.
    “You would not get rid of it and bye a New Car?’ She asked.
    “No, just tires.” I say.
    “Then why are all these people on the Cards blogs saying we need a whole New Team?”
    “I don’t know kiddo, makes me wonder too.”

GO CARDS!!!

2. Dec 12, 2016: Cards GM: Players who pack it in won't be back in '17 - Sportal.co.in
  3. Dec 12, 2016: Cards GM: Players who pack it in won't be back in '17 - Sports Reactors
  4. Dec 12, 2016: Cards GM: Players that don't compete won't be on '17 team - Sports News Instant
  5. Dec 12, 2016: Cards GM: Players who pack it in won't be back in '17 - Sports News Base
  6. Dec 12, 2016: Cards GM: Players who pack it in won't be back in '17 - Sports News Sector
  7. Dec 12, 2016: Cards GM: Players who pack it in won't be back in '17 - Sports News Gist
  8. Dec 12, 2016: Cardinals GM: We’ll ax players who don’t ‘play with passion’ – The Sports News
  9. Dec 12, 2016: Cardinals GM: We’ll ax players who don’t ‘play with passion’ | Our Ladies and Gentlemen
  10. Dec 12, 2016: Cards GM: Players who pack it in won’t be back in ’17 | Football and Soccer News Games Results Scores Transfers
  11. Dec 13, 2016: Cardinals GM: We’ll ax players who don’t ‘play with passion’ | newstrending
  12. Dec 15, 2016: Monday Headlines – Week 15 | Fantasy First