Fitzgerald: GMs, coaches called me about Floyd

Posted by Darren Urban on December 15, 2016 – 2:04 pm

Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said he got “a couple calls” Wednesday from around the league from “GMs and coaches” asking about Michael Floyd now that Floyd had been released.

“I told them my honest opinion of him, that I think he’ll be a great pickup for whoever,” Fitzgerald said. “You’ve got a young guy who is hungry, who is eager to make plays in a contract year, has a chip on his shoulder now — not that he didn’t already have one — and I hope he makes a big playoff run.”

UPDATE: The Patriots claimed Floyd off waivers.

As for Floyd being released in the first place, Fitzgerald said he sees Floyd as a family member.

“I can’t give you my true feeling because people might get upset with what I really feel,” Fitzgerald said. “But Mike is like my brother. I’ve known him since he was 13 years old, we come from the same place. I love him dearly. Like any other family member, I never turn my back on him no matter what. I”m going to support him.”

Fitzgerald said he saw Floyd Wednesday and would be seeing him again today.

“It’s important during these times to support people when they are going through some stuff,” Fitzgerald said.

He also took issue with some descriptions of Floyd. “Contrary to reports, Mike was never an immature guy,” Fitzgerald said. “He had his incident in college, but we all make mistakes … Mike is a good young man. He’s someone I highly respect and care about deeply. I just hope he finds himself in a situation he is happy with and he has a long and prosperous career.”

fitzfloyd

Tags: , ,

55 Responses to “Fitzgerald: GMs, coaches called me about Floyd”

1. By Andy M on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Once again, Larry Fitzgerald is a class act. The Patriots will help Floyd get his mind right on the field.

2. By D on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

He better invest in stickum playing for Brady

3. By James on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

We need more people like Larry. Loyalty is a rare commodity these days. To support your friend like that speaks volumes about Fitz’s character.

4. By faster on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

when i first heard about floyd, i was sad, what a life, to sit in the middle of the night alone on the road, no friends who got him in a taxicab.

then, after i read he was released, i thought he would be a perfect fit for belichick, with his rigid rules. guess i was spot on.

i wish him a lot of luck and i hope, he tries to understand, that a car is dangerous under influence, even if he only was sleeping in. and maybe he should reflect about some friends and taxicabs to call.

one more reason to cheer for the boston mob for the playoffs, if we cann`t beat the seahawks in the last three games …..

5. By Jason on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

So can some one ask if it seems like Bruce Arians has lost the locker room?

From this side of the screen it sure sounds like it. Makes me wonder what kind of

ramifications this will have with free agents and our own guys wanting to stay.

6. By Tom brady on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Maybe Larry should get a dui, get released, picked up by the pats and get his ring…. good God. Terrible move. Shows how new England is great every year.

7. By Scott H on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Larry, as always, is choosing his words carefully and coming across as a class act. But I feel like I’m hearing someone that is not happy with this move. And I’m hearing some buzz that other Cardinals players may not be happy about it, either. I’d have to say, I wouldn’t blame them.

I was disgusted with how Floyd was playing this year, but…..I was having a hard time believing he wasn’t gonna turn it around.

And here’s what occurs to me right now – we kept a pretty lousy punter around for the better part of 3 seasons, but we cut a WR with sky-is-the-limit potential loose that quickly??? Really??

No, Drew Butler didn’t have any DUI’s, I get it. But…..why wasn’t HIS performance enough to hold him accountable?? It SHOULD have been. And if people think some of our players aren’t thinking about THAT aspect of this right now…..think again. I say some of them definitely are.

One also has to wonder if this move figures into Fitz’ thought process about whether he plays beyond this year or not. Anyone thinking about that??

8. By joe holst on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Michael Floyd was drafted 8 spots higher than Chandler Jones in the 2012 1st round, not a very good year overall, 3 out of the 1st 5 picks are terrible or out of the league, RG3, Trent Richardson and Justin Blackmon. The Cards had no 2nd rounder, and took Jamell Fleming in the 3rd Round, Bobby Massie in the 4th round, Justin “Failure in progress” Bethel is the only one left. Thank God Rod Graves is gone,

9. By JohnnyBluenose on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

The Patriots obviously like our first round picks….Cooper and now Floyd. I expect they are keeping tabs on Nkemdiche too.

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose —

RE: First-rounders

And we saw what happened with Cooper.

11. By clssylssy on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Scott…
    LOL…once again I feel like you’re reading my mail. Larry Fitzgerald and Carson Palmer both have stepped up for Michael Floyd, and, as was pointed out on a sports radio show today, they are two of the straightest arrows in the league and their support carries weight.
    And, yes, to answer Jason’s question, I would say it sounds like BA has lost the locker room. When they interviewed Tyrann Mathieu on the news, he said that the guys were shaken, and he looked like someone had slapped him.
    I am so relieved to know Fitz has Mike’s back, and he has support from his other NFL brothers during this difficult time. We’ve seen the talent and a change of scenery might be what’s needed for a renewed outlook on life.
    Ironic, that Mike could end up with the Patriots and even get a ring while Larry is the unsung hero, still here…but for how long?

12. By georgiebird on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Michael Floyd was not going to be re-signed by the Cardinals- so Floyd is lost for three meaningless games. The Cards felt Floyd had not gone to the next level and a I agree- but it may have been just as much the failure of the overall offense to produce.
    In a way, Floyd became the poster child of all the Cardinals’ players who didn’t produce this year- Nkemdiche, Bethel, Boehm, Butler, Williams, Palmer, Ellington and really anybody not named David or Larry.
    Floyd is a talented receiver and he will become the Patriots most talented receiver going into the playoffs. In the end at least one Cardinal will go to the SuperBowl.

13. By rod on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

I’m upset about what he did here. I had a lot of faith in him for this year but it didn’t work out…hopefully he can fix whatever the issue is. If depression take prozac if anxiety take lorazapam. you don’t need to drink. I wish you well on the Patriots. It’s strange because I always talk to my workmates about what Fitz would have been like if Brady was throwing to him throughout his career and now Mike is there.

Go Mike

Go Cardinals 2017 !!

14. By JTDG on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

I got to say, Larry’s comments are very telling. Got to read between the lines.

He sure isn’t happy about the release of Floyd and got to wonder what is going on.

It was pointed out on the radio these points.

– When Abraham had his issue in 2014, the team and BA stood by him as long as they could.
    – When Massie had his issue, they team and BA stood by him.

Now Floyd has his issue and the team cuts him. Must be more to the story but if you are in that locker room, you have to wonder why Abraham and Massie but not Floyd.

Now Larry’s comments and there is definitely issues behind the scenes.

15. By JTDG on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

The Patriots vs the Cardinals

– The Patriots believed they could not resign Chandler Jones and traded him for a 2nd rounder.
    the Patriots then traded the 2nd round pick and got a 3rd and 4th.
    With the 3rd round pick they took starting guard Joe Thuney and a 4th rounder on a good receiver Malcolm Mitchell.

the Patriots believed they could not sign Jamie Collins. So they traded Collins to the Browns for a third round pick in 2017.

Meanwhile, the cards (against my pleas to trade him) keep Michael Floyd. He struggles and is cut by the team, against the wishes of the face of the team, Larry Fitzgerald.

So, these are examples of why I feel Keim needs to be released. Instead of doing what the patriots did, Keim now has a situation on his hands where your main player is saying he can’t give his true feeling about the situation to the media, but I guarantee players are discussing their feeling.

You see, a trade of Floyd is business and could be accepted by all. But, How hard was it to fine and suspend him, act like you stand by him (even if you dont) and let him walk at the end of the year and hope, just maybe you could get a compensatory pick. Especially when the most important Cardinal in their history, is a close friend of him.

The one time to be a politician, you don’t do it. Hey, can you tell me how great the two tackles did again though?

jasonc, these are the blunders I speak of.

16. By shane on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

This is his second offense putting lifes in danger .. he had a horrible year & cost the cards games & is a free agent at the end of the year idk why people seem to be surprised by this, they did the right thing floyd did this to him self. And ofcousre fitz is going to be upset this was his freind & teammate for 5 years didn’t change the fact that floyd still did what he did. People seem to not get that when a team as success & then totally fails to live up to expectations the locker room should & will have some problems its what losing does .

17. By shane on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

JTDG

You’re thinking to hard .. ofcourse fitz is upset they cut his friend & teammate of 5 years and beyond, But he has to pay the price for his offences.

1. his second DUI putting lifes in danger each time
    2. his horrible play costing the cards games this year
    3. letting his team down including fitz & palmer

Abraham & massi are part of the problem they became before floyd .. that’s why B.A and co. wanted to make a statement .. they obviously saw chances didn’t work.

18. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Maybe Floyd had developed a drinking problem during the season and refused to address it. This could explain his decline in his receiving ability. Floyd didn’t seem to be able to get it together this year.

As far as Butler goes he was not a NFL quality punter, how he lasted this long is beyond anyone’s guess here. Butler and Nkemdiche should be selling programs at the enterence of the stadium

19. By texascard on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Darren
    Did Kim diche ever do anything stupid under the influence of alcohol or some other chemical? Did chandler jones ever do anything stupid under the influence of alcohol or some other chemicals? They were brought on to the roster and yet Floyd was fired. What are we not seeing?

20. By Richard S on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

I personally like Jaron Brown, but if you go after a receiver, get one who can catch the ball like Q and Fitz. That’s the most important attribute of a receiver, good hands. Too many have speed, but stone hands.

21. By NYCardinals on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

“Read between the lines, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture.”

There, I summed up the comment section for everybody. You’re welcome.

22. By Scott H on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Wow. So….Floyd is gone….and let’s consider the possibility that Fitz walks away after this season ( I say not likely but also not impossible )…..how does our stable of WR’s look THEN?? Our top 3 WR’s will be Brown, Brown, and JJ Nelson?

Anyone else not feeling real psyched about that??

Let’s be honest – it has been AND STILL IS Larry Fitzgerald that makes our WR corps shine. And coming into this year, Floyd was looking like a beast, ready to take over. Smoky, Jaron, and Nelson were a great supporting cast to go along with the two big dogs at the top of the depth chart.

You take Fitz and Floyd out of this mix…..and you are left with not nearly enough.

For all we know, Fitz is going to play 3 more games as a Cardinal, then he might be done. And we have NO heir apparent to take his place. NOT GOOD.

23. By Marlin on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Maybe You guys should write an article about all of Keim’s bad moves this year. Mike Floyd release to set example and losing the locker room over it, lousy draft production, losing Marquis Christian to save Butler… who he later releases… on and on. Keim and Arians have both had bad years. They’d better wake up. Valley fans turn quickly.

24. By SeeingRed on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

For a moment after reading the title of this article I thought it was Cards’ coaches GM that called Fitz…maybe to see if there was anymore insight they could gather about Mike’s condition. A slip or something deeper? I’m not counting college. College is college and anyone who’s had a good time in college drank too much at times and you make bad decisions. I have not heard of any issues since he’s been in the NFL until now. I just have to say while I’m disappointed in Floyd for not taking a ride home and taking that chance of hurting someone else or himself-I’m more disappointed in this Organization. I guess them asking Fitz was below them.

Before all the hypocrites jump down my throat about not drinking and driving-I get it. However, if everyone was fired for drinking too much then we’d have a national crisis on our hands. Just because you were not CAUGHT doesn’t make you any more of good person.
    If you think that’s ridiculous then ask yourself this question: If Floyd was having the year Fitz is and was carrying a bad team would you still be okay with them sending him packing?? I don’t care what your answer is because the organization certainly wouldn’t have released him. They would’ve talked about getting him help (much like Darryl Washington) and that’s why I am disgusted with this Org right now. Its the same ole hypocrisy….Remember when Keim talked about selecting Honey Badger? He said something like..”when you have a character problem in a player who’s a potential star then he is off limits in the first round, second round hes “just misunderstood”, third round you’re ready to introduce him to your mom.” Not exact quote but I bet I’m pretty close. Dude just admitted to the hypocrisy. You make them money then they will stick with you. Have a slip AND have a bad/down season and it’s adios and then all this double talk about setting examples and other self-righteous talk. I’m sure they may even say it was for his own good. “We weren’t bringing him back so we thought he could get a head start on finding a team this season. BS. I’m thoroughly disgusted.
    I’m not saying Floyd is a victim as he made his choice and the timing couldn’t have been worse but I thought this org had matured enough to NOT do the predictable thing. You would’ve thought he’s been a problem child all along.

Its clear the players feel the same way and I don’t know if the damage will be salvageable. Not sure my support will either-this is bigger than Floyd. You have a coach who is stating emphatically that no coach is going anywhere and that they can do no wrong basically. Then you dump a guy because he didn’t catch enough passes for you. Sick. This whole episode shows how the Organization is still a checkers org and why the Patriots and Steelers are chess teams. The Cards brass unfortunately think that they are smarter than they actually are. They can make good decisions but then they do something like this….

Before this incident with Floyd happened-while I was still hoping we would resign him-I thought he would be a great fit in NE and I could see them trying to sign him. They are a forward-looking, self confident and mature org and they are not scared off by things like this. Mike has tremendous talent and put with professionals like Brady and Belichik (spelling?) I could see him making a run with them this season and maybe even winning a super bowl. Wouldn’t be the first jettisoned (prematurely) Cards receiver to thrive and win a Super Bowl, Just ask Q.

25. By SeeingRed on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

By the way…we should all read again what Fitz said and then ask ourselves if the front office has better knowledge of the person of Floyd than Larry? Would someone of Larry’s character say such things if they weren’t true? I’d be shocked if Arians signed off on this (I know he said it was unanimous) considering his own history. Keim has acted and talked self righteous at times and is hypocritical so he may have signed on. M Bidwell- I can see him signing on too “protecting the brand” but they have done plenty to scar the brand themselves. Sad day.

26. By CardsNation on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Marlin-

Most of the fans are expecting him to be released at the end of the season. It makes no difference anyway and it sets an example to our players. We already have three good safeties anyway, what’s the point of keeping Christian, it makes no sense.

27. By creditcard on Dec 15, 2016 | Reply

Patriots are using the Cardinals like the Yankees abuse a small major league market team.

I totally agree with Scott H and JTDG with previous posts. If Larry retires, our receiving corps will be Brown, Brown and Nelson. Along with arguably the worse O-line, I can see Palmer leaving, then followed by the coaching staff.

The Cards are getting dangerously close to completely unraveling. The Cards will need to trade down their 1st pick in order to receive more picks — they have several holes to fill.

I sure hope I’m wrong, since I’m a Card fan, but right now the immediate future does not look promising.

28. By Jon Elder on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

It sounds like the Bruce Arians era could be coming to a close a lot quicker than we had expected.

The “no coaches will get fired ever”, combined with this is just not a good look. I just can’t see how he maintains the respect of the players after this.

29. By Nel on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

ARIANS LOSES LOCKER ROOM

30. By Nel on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

YOUR TRUST IS GONE WITH PLAYERS AND FANS ARIANS.

31. By faster on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

@scott h, i disagree, releasing floyd was the “best” move for him, and i believe, the team will understand it.

think about it, floyd was to become a free agent, and he expects a nice chunk of money. the cards would not like to pay as much, and rightfull so, they have a lot of wrs, and floyd didn`t play this season to justify a big contract.

now he has the chance to show some bits of his skills, and get a new big contract, that would have been a bit complicated with the current offense of the team.

32. By clssylssy on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

It’s been a very stressful and sad week, many have given up on the season; our team has been full of distractions at a time when we have our last home game against the Saints, a game we SHOULD win. But, I’m not feeling it matters to many, including our Front Office, who, in their zeal to “send a message” have created a divide, as well as, taken away a weapon, ultimately hurting the team and fans. Of the long list of bad decisions they have managed to outdo themselves at a critical time. As JTDG pointed out, they COULD have chosen a different course with the end result being letting Michael go in FA, which would have likely been better for everybody.
    I only hope that in these remaining games, our guys can put aside their personal feelings, come together, and focus on the task at hand to win these games. It will be difficult but we SHOULD be able to do it. Stay on Task, for your own good and remember that success on the field will only enhance your options down the road.
    Let’s win this game as a show of solidarity! There will be plenty of time (unfortunately) to figure out the future.
    From the reactions of many of other fans, I know I am not the only one who is doubting a fit with the “values” of this franchise, and am also SEEING RED. I have been embarrassed by the shaming of players in the media, and the poor sportsmanship of our leaders lashing out with accusations of “cheating” following a messy loss, now this latest monumental “checkers move”. Nonetheless, as fans we can still support our players and not quit. Let’s get our “stuff” together and show people that we’re not the bush league pretenders that many think we are.
    Let’s Go Out and Beat the Saints this weekend!

33. By Marlin on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

CardsNation,

Two of our safeties are unrestricted free agents. The other one is older and injury prone the past 4 years. That’s why you draft young players.

34. By dobie on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

seem to me all the players the Cardinals get rid of do great some place some one is doing something wrong and Arian is old school and stabber and they got him figured out I think but I am not a expert on this things

35. By Louis Callegari on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

we need to fire both keim arians

36. By Scott H on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

I hear some people expressing that they feel like things are at a point of un-raveling. I don’t know if I would agree with that ( yet ), but….another loss and another lack-luster showing on Sunday will probably make it feel like that.

But I’ll be honest, I kinda feel like even if they do win on Sunday…..what’s the point? Does it really matter? I know it’s SUPPOSED to matter, but…for me, I don’t know that it will.

And when this season started, I could NOT have imagined ever feeling that way with 3 games to go.

37. By patrick on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

Darren, gonna be a long off season for you with a bunch of whiny second guessing “fans”. Hang in there buddy!

38. By Marlin on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

What do you the chances are for the Cards to resign Swearinger?

39. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Swearinger

I think it comes down to what else happens (i.e. Jefferson) and also what Swearinger’s market is at price-wise.

40. By Jon Elder on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

Really wish Arians would stop bad mouthing players and calling them out in front of the media. When you won’t hold your coaches accountable, then you’ve just got no right to publically talk trash about the players. Keep it in the locker room, where it belongs.

41. By clssylssy on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

Scott…
    There SHOULD be a pride in the knowledge that we’re not a team that quits in the face of adversity when seemingly there is nothing to play for.
    Vince Lombardi once said, “Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to is”. As unhappy as I may get with the people who make the decisions and throw up roadblocks, I still believe in my guys, and I BELIEVE we can still finish strong and prove we aren’t “mentally weak”, that we can shape our own destiny. Many of our guys will be out of work in three weeks and these final games will become part of their resume. I want to see that they get represented in as positive a manner they can so that they can go on and succeed wherever they end up. This could be the last time we see many of these guys in a Cards uniform (including Fitz), it would be great to send them off knowing that we never gave up on them.
    With this being our final home game, I hope the Birdgang can show up in loud voice and show those WhoDats We Stand By Our Men..in good times and always.

42. By JTDG on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

Patrick,

Second Guessing;
    If only that were true. Just a couple for you. I saved a Floyd one for last. Can’t put them all on here. And, notice the dates, before any of this mess happened.

By John The Draft Guy on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

Bethel;

I just don’t believe in Bethel. It was a mistake to over pay him.
    This is his 5th year in the league. How long you going to wait for him to develop?
    Teams will stay away from PP and eat up Bethel this year.
    Got to upgrade.

By John The Draft Guy on Apr 26, 2016 | Reply

So, as I played out in my Mock above, Lynch is gone and the Cards take Alexander at CB.
    I like Alexander. He has swagger. Only 29% of passes his way were completed and no TDs. He will be an instant starter and have instant impact.
    Of course, I could see them trade down into round two, provided there is a partner, which might be hard to find. The sleeper in round two could be TJ Green. He is listed as a Safety, but really has all the tools to be a solid CB

So, If Palmer is gone by 2018 and Lynch is there at 29, yes, take Lynch. The only argument is this; 2016, we could use a 1st round CB or Center. I think you can land the center in round 3, but it will be tough to find a CB, who could step right in,
    So, is it more wise to take a QB like Jacoby Brissett, who could develop into a steal and go for that first round corner?

(BTW- Brissett started 2 games and came in for injured Garapalo for NE this year, Comp 62% of his passes for 400 yds and ran for another 83 yds and a TD going 2 wins and one loss)

By John The Draft Guy on Sep 12, 2016 | Reply

Really? I think I have been saying it all preseason. Williams is just plain terrible. Any thing else said about him is just spin.

By John The Draft Guy on Sep 13, 2016 | Reply

I’ll say it again,like all offseason, give the bills a call about Stephon Gilmore, who is a FA in 2017 and stopped contract talks with Bills. Maybe Tyrod Taylor could use a Michael Floyd. Maybe the Chargers, after losing Keenen Allen might part with a CB, I’m sure someone out there might part ways with a CB for Floyd. The giants have stock piled CBs, they dont need a receiver, but maybe a draft pick? Maybe a 3 way trade with chargers, giants cards. Try something.

So, is it second guessing if you say it before the fact???

43. By JTDG on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

FLASHBACK FRIDAY ; Sept 12th, Monday after the Patriots loss.

Keim: Dealing with “sky-is-falling” Monday
    Posted by Darren Urban on September 12, 2016 – 8:19 am

Steve Keim was blunt.
    “It’s ‘The-sky-is-falling’ Monday and we have to use that as a chip on our shoulder to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” the Cardinals General Manager said during his appearance on “Doug and Wolf” on Arizona Sports 98.7.

Comments Section

By Kevin on Sep 12, 2016 | Reply
    Butler MUST have a shoebox full of nekkid pictures of someone.

By Marlin on Sep 12, 2016 | Reply
    Much like in politics……..every time a fan brings up an area of concern, the comments are exaggerated to “sky is falling” so as to mitigate the value of the comments

By TucsonTim on Sep 12, 2016 | Reply
    Keim –
    The sky started falling Jan 3 and totally caved in on us in North Carolina. Do we need another reason to have a chip?

By John The Draft Guy on Sep 12, 2016 | Reply

So, where does that leave the 2017 Free Agent, Michael Floyd? Yes, he is good. But needed? He had a 39 yd catch and 2 others short passes and dropped a TD. Not earth shattering. With so many weapons, dangle him out there as trade bait for a CB. Without one, we have no shot beating the big boys.

By Marcelof on Sep 12, 2016 | Reply
    John The Draft Guy
    Floyd for a CB
    I couldn’t agree more. He’s not what we got as a face of a franchise or not even close to that. the Kid is awesome, but the hole Cards got at the CB is way deeper. that’d be worthless scoring 20-30 points a game and being outscored.

By dkerry5242 on Sep 12, 2016 | Reply
    The Cards were out coached and out played by a Patriots team that were missing many of their top players.

By Robert on Sep 12, 2016 | Reply
    AND BUTLER STINKS and out inability to cover kicks or block on returns blows me away

By Scott H on Sep 12, 2016 | Reply
    Wait….Butler didn’t punt well? I’m sorry? I hate to seem out of line here, but I think someone better let the front office know

Ahhh, some oldies but goodies. Seems all these comments could apply to last weeks game???

44. By Scott H on Dec 16, 2016 | Reply

patrick –

RE: Second guessing

Pat, this team is 5-7-1 and probably on their way to a losing season AFTER they were a SB favorite of many during the off-season. And you want to talk about 2nd guessing? Really?

Look, it doesn’t even matter what people were saying one month ago or 3 months or 6 months ago. All that matters is the reality of what it’s become now.

And, BTW, many of the things SOME of us were saying have turned out to be pretty accurate. So…..but who cares now? Who cares who was right and who was wrong? We’re ALL losing now.

45. By CardsNation on Dec 17, 2016 | Reply

JTDG

How do you know that Keim never attempts to trade him? How do you know is the patriots call the Cardinals to trade Jones but not the Cardinals call the patriots?

46. By jasonc on Dec 17, 2016 | Reply

JTDG-

I agree that they handled this poorly. The only thing I can think of is due to his previous transgression with alcohol in college was a factor and how much was Michael Bidwill’s voice heard about the release? It’s hard to blame Keim if Bidwill was adamant that Floyd needed to be released. If it was me I would’ve shut him down for the rest of the season and stated that we were trying to get him help.

I still don’t have any fear about us bouncing back next season. Look at our roster and our salary cap and it gives us a lot of flexibility. Then new cap number is supposed to jump like $10 million and we’ll get another $5 when we cut Washington. All in all, it looks like around $40 million plus in cap space.

47. By Scott H on Dec 17, 2016 | Reply

faster –

Hey, you may be right about Floyd because if he wasn’t gonna be here next year….what did releasing him now matter? It just doesn’t seem to be playing well with some of the other players. And THAT could be a problem.

But in terms of Floyd being in line for a big pay-day, forget it. For next season, anyway. He was already playing himself out of that with his worst season ever. But the DUI sealed the coffin. Floyd is probably looking at a suspension of….let’s say at least 4 games next year? NO WAY anyone is going to pony up for Floyd next year. DEFINITELY not the Patriots. He might get a one-year flier deal Best Floyd can hope for is playing VERY well next year and showing that he had his act together. That might get some teams interested again and willing to offer him a decent contract. But he’s got a LOOOOOONG way to go.

But with his implosion this year, on the field and off, he may have lost his chance to get a big-time deal in the NFL. He is in his physical prime right now. But his value has nose-dived and there is no guarantee it will ever come back.

48. By JTDG on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

cardsnation,

How do I know?

Interviews. got to listen to what Keim says.

49. By clssylssy on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

@Scott & faster–
    I follow what you’re saying however, this is a team sport and theoretically the good of the whole should outweigh what’s best for one individual, so, how exactly did Floyd’s being cut, in the manner it was done, benefit the team? From where I’m sitting this only served to further divide a team that has lacked much needed cohesiveness anyway. When you have your team Captains clearly disturbed by the way this situation was handled, I don’t see how this was beneficial to anyone, the players, the fans, even the organization who is not being portrayed by the media as being desperate in trying to get the heat off themselves for a failed season?

2. Dec 15, 2016: Michael Floyd claimed off of waivers by Patriots | Sport Push
  3. Dec 15, 2016: Michael Floyd claimed off of waivers by Patriots - Sports News Gist
  4. Dec 15, 2016: Michael Floyd claimed off of waivers by Patriots - Football Fan Report
  5. Dec 15, 2016: Patriots claim WR Michael Floyd, who was cut by Cardinals after DUI arrest – Washington Post – G Email News
  6. Dec 15, 2016: Michael Floyd claimed off of waivers by Patriots | Football and Soccer News Games Results Scores Transfers
  7. Feb 5, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | Super Bowl doesn’t include Floyd