Bidwill on Floyd: “Disappointed how he handled it”

Posted by Darren Urban on December 18, 2016 – 1:39 pm

Cardinals president Michael Bidwill just made an appearance on the Cardinals radio network’s pregame show, and was asked about the release of Michael Floyd. Bidwill said there had been a way for Floyd to remain on the team, but the Cards felt Floyd didn’t react well to the incident and the decision was made to move on.

“A lot went into (the decision to cut Floyd),” Bidwill said. “We got the news from sources early, and then the media, an hour-and-a-half before Michael called us. I was disappointed with how he handled it. I thought, even the two days we took before we made the final decision we were just going to release him, the story changed, there was no remorse. We asked him to be proactive in terms of his approach to this. He was unapologetic. There were a number of things (and) I was just not satisfied how he handled it.

“We just determined, you know what? He’s just not going to play for us again. Release him, it’s better to move on. I hope he gets healthy. I like him personally. He’s a great kid. I was really disappointed with how he handled this and you know, how he was handling his approach to the game, his approach to conditioning and approach to things, and I think it was affecting him, some of his issues were affecting him on the field.”

Bidwill reiterated the Cardinals asked Floyd to “proactively address” the situation in multiple conversations with Floyd and his agent and “they just did not want to do that.”

Bidwill said that could have led to Floyd remaining on the roster. “They certainly could’ve played it a lot differently,” Bidwill said. “We wanted to give him the opportunity to address his issues.”

Tags: ,

27 Responses to “Bidwill on Floyd: “Disappointed how he handled it””

1. By NYCardinals on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

*munches popcorn

2. By Jon Elder on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Said this in another thread but it was old so just thought I would post it here.

If Floyd had been having a career year, and we were say 8-5 when he got that DUI instead of where we are currently at, can anyone honestly say with a straight face that we would have cut him? I think things like the team sticking by players like John Abraham, who had done far less for the organization than Floyd are troubling.

If Keim and BA pulling the plug on Floyd ultimately tipped the scales towards Fitzgerald either retiring or leaving the team, then so help me Floyd’s cut would have truly been one of the all time blunders in this team’s history. Fitz is clearly fuming about this, and who doubts that he would be exactly the type of guy to walk away based on what he felt was unprofessional organizational conduct?

The BA era of accountability for players, no accountability for coaches is all of a sudden wearing very, very thin. And I don’t think our team record is the only reason why. When you get a vote of no confidence from one of the all time great class acts, its time to take a long, hard stare in the mirror.

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Jon Elder —

RE: Fitz

saw your comment in another thread. Made sense then. Makes a little less sense if what Bidwill was saying is true.

I also feel confident in saying Fitz’s retirement doesn’t hinge on Floyd. Floyd wasn’t returning in 2017 anyway.

4. By Scott H on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Hey, Mr Bidwell – why don’t you worry a little more about your front office, OK? There’s plenty there to keep you busy for awhile. And here’s where you can start – Steve Keim. He talks so much about accountability while he keeps complete under-performers like Drew Butler around for…..what, almost 3 seasons? And that was going on LONG before Michael Floyd was so disappointing.

5. By Scott H on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

ANOTHER missed PAT for Catanzaro?? Are you friggin’ kidding me???? This kid has flat out sucked this year. I am tired of our PAT’s being a 50-50 shot, while our FG attempts are even more of an adventure. He should be gone tomorrow, or, maybe even tonight. Steve Keim needs to sop TALKING about accountability and start putting some action behind his words. The season is over. What’s the point of waiting? Next season should start NOW by disposing of some players that have clearly not performed.

Maybe Catanzaro won’t be found passed out behind the wheel later tonight, but he is NO LESS accountable than Michael Floyd based on his ON-FIELD PERFORMANCE.

6. By Marlin on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Sounds like Bidwill made the right decision.

7. By Lee on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

The Cards performance or lack there of is a complete Failure from the Top Down. There has been NO team consistency or playing off of each other. If it hasn’t been poor OL play it was poor WR play. Special Teams has been a DISASTER this season and well he D has looked good on paper but not when it counted. How can you score 41 points at home and lose? Give up 48 points to a Saints O that hasn’t been playing well at all.

Well BA will be tested, how can he turn this thing around for 2017? This will be the big question. We better pick up several FA’s to come in and compete along with a good Draft.

8. By carlsonchemist on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

I believe that if what Mr. Bidwell claims is true, I tend to believe he made the right decision. Unfortunately, unless he’s willing to share specifically what requests from the organization Michael Floyd and his agent were unwilling to concede, then this will yet be another matter between claims by an organization and a disgruntled player.

Having said that, I think that anybody who doesn’t believe there is enough blame to go around for a failed season is fooling himself. That includes the front office as Keim probably deserves the lion’s share of culpability in that area. And it doesn’t at the front office.

Even the casual fan can think of half a dozen plays where coaching calls were questionable (of course there’s 20-20 hindsight). Coach Arians will receive the majority of the blame here as neither the media nor the fans have insight into the competency of his coaching staff. Yes, this includes Special Teams coaching, but Chandler Jones has been a disappointment for the last half of the season, so perhaps other coaches beyond Amos should be scrutinized as well.

And finally, there are the myriad of mental errors and failure to execute plays on the part of the players that begin with the QB and trickle down to players on offense, defense, and special teams. Of course, injuries played a crucial role in game plan execution, but mental errors (dropped passes, missed assignments, etc.) cannot be blamed for this.

In summary, everybody not named larry Fitzgerald or David Johnson should be able to say they’d be hard-pressed to be able to improve on this season’s performance. This year just sucked for the cards and their fans. And despite the shortcomings of the general manager and head coach, both deserve to have a second chance next year as the prior three seasons have been superb. I say take a wait and see perspective and let them iron out the problems. Are you generally in agreement with me, Darren?

9. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Carlson —

RE: Agreement

Lots you have written here and frankly, I don’t have the time to break it down at this point. But I didn’t want to post your comment and not respond, because I am sure there is someone out there that would take offense to that.

10. By CARDS62 on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

I do not know if Mr. Bidwill made the right decision or not, We are on the outside so we can not know, but I do know he handled it wrong if Carson and Fitz. were not kept in the loop on how we were handling it.I do not know this either and just hope they were kept informed. M. Floyd was never my favorite, but I do not wish doing anything to make Larry or Carson leave early.

This does give me a little hope that Mr. Bidwill will also step in after the season and make our HC make some staff changes which are needed.

Coaches also have to be held accountable, but I am one who wants Bidwill, Keim, and Arians back next year.

Go Cards!

11. By TucsonTim on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Well, I wonder if we will ever hear Floyds side of the story???

12. By krehbieo14 on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

I trust Bidwill’s assessment regarding Floyd. Michael has a great crap detector. Floyd realized he was finished in Arizona and blew things up with his immature behavior. Please recall that Fitz had a personal stake in Floyd’s success. He knew Michael from Minnesota and lobbied when he was drafted by the Cards. In my opinion, the loss to the Saints was the worst of the season. I believe that because the team was warned not to take an early vacation with three games left. The Cards defense did not show and their performance was embarrassing to all Cards fans on our home field. A lot of changes are in order, including an evaluation of coaches.

13. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Bidwill said enough for me, moving on.

Sadly JJ had 2 big drops, wonder if technique, weak hands, maybe off season with C. Palmer like John Brown did would get him over top.

Neatrly 50 burger to NO at home. Embarrassing. It was not fun being at a track meet when we play zone and guys are open by 5 yards. Also saw one where 32 smply could not even come close to keeping up, with Cook I think it was. Brandon on TD gets beat by 2 yards from 1 yard line, this guy needs to fist fight at line of scrimmage. All our guys failed at pressing, and worse at zone. Complete failure by D coaches and players. The few blitzes worked (despite absurd roughing call on 54, simply stupid call). Never seen such a soft, weak D. Didn’t even stuff run.

Betch: if your guys cant cover, have them knock down the receivers and blitz like hell, or a 50 burger is what you get. #SMH all night…pfffftttt.

14. By dynosoar on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

A little perspective, this is the first time this season including preseason we’ve scored this much. We have scores of…

Pre = 10, 3, 24 & 38

Regular = 21, 40, 18, 13, 33, 28, 6 & 20

Bye and then = 23, 24, 19, 31, 23

And then Floyd is gone and = 41.

I’m not saying he’s the reason, but 17 games with Floyd and one game without. Again, the sampling is not there yet, but our one game without Floyd (unless he was injured for a game(s) and I just don’t remember.

I like watching Michael make those awesome catches, but Darren’s correct, with the gut punch drops they just don’t balance, he wasn’t going to be here next season.

Also, if Fitzgerald was going to leave this team, he’s had how many opportunities in the last decade alone? He’s a Cardinals player for life and we all know it. At least those who look at history as an indicator of the future. Fitzgerald is loyal to his friend, he’s also loyal to the Cardinals and look at today, he put Johnson on the player of the game podium. He is as a good a man as there is and he understands what we all do, sometimes even our friends or family do something stupid and that’s when they need support (not “you did nothing wrong” support, but hey, I’ll be there for you as you work through this” support).

Floyd has a friend in Fitz and so do the Cardinals and he’ll give the best kind of support, no entitlement. We’ll be stronger next year.

Finish strong! Put the kind of defeat on the Seahawks that shakes there confidence before the Playoffs. Cardinals for LIFE!

15. By texascard on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

I am surprised bidwill addressed floyd. I think the bigger issue (huuuge) is the fact that out first round picks have been consistently disappointing. Floyd, cooper, hump, kim k ditchy. We must be better in the draft. In the nfl a team cannot draft poorly and win. Cannot!!! Our depth is poor because of poor drafting. Our special team play is poor because of poor drafting. Our consistency is poor because of poor drafting. To cut floyd is to admit failure with this draft pick. And please dont tell me about 31 and 44 because keim openly admits that they were dumb luck. Mr. Bidwill rethink your entire draft process and please find a way to add quality to this extreme cardinal weakness.

16. By carlsonchemist on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Whether the front office made a just decision to release Floyd is one that can be debated ad-nauseum. There are several perspectives such as ethical, business and legal vantage points that can be explored. However, to worry Palmer or Fitzgerald would choose to go elsewhere because they disapproved or weren’t consulted in rendering a decision is futile. NFL players are professionals and are paid to be professional.

Floyd’s release had nothing to do with the front office violating the CBA or any aspect of his contract. This is something that he unilaterally brought upon himself and therefore the ramifications of his choice and its implications is a matter between Floyd and the front office.

Any player in the NFL knows the game is a “business”. Employment is based upon productivity, and unfortunately for Floyd, his lack of production has made him expendable. And like it or not, the owners are entitled to make the decisions they choose and either draw fan support or alienate a fan base as a result. For the front office to “solicit” approval from players when considering disciplinary measures after a player breaks the law is ludicrous.

NFL ownership decisions never have been democratic regarding disciplinary actions. I can’t think of a single profession, in either the public or private sector, where a decision-maker would ever worry about losing employees over the dismissal of an employee with a high public profile for a DUI arrest.

17. By krehbieo14 on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Tucson Tim:

Floyds side of the story? What are you talking about? He played horribly for the Cards in a contract year, singlehandedly affecting outcome of games. He had a past history of alcohol abuse at Notre Dame and was driving a car while intoxicated and fell alsleep at the wheel this week. He failed to report the incident to the team and chose to hide behind his agent to address the issue. He should have been released and will be suspended by the league with possible jail time. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers no matter who they are.
    Do you think Bidwill has any reason to fabricate events?

18. By Dan on Dec 18, 2016 | Reply

Good move by Bidwill, Floyd really dropped the ball on this one……no big surprise.

19. By Jon Elder on Dec 19, 2016 | Reply

Darren–

I do think this clarifies things (somewhat) and puts the organization in a better light. There is still a question regarding why Fitz had to hold his tongue. The guy was clearly upset about the way the organization handled the situation. Now, was it because he was not privy to the information that Bidwell discussed? Sure, that’s possible. I think that represents a mistake, although perhaps a smaller one than the one Fitz had initally been addressing (ie Fitz potentially addressing a situation under the assumption that Floyd had been dropped remorselessly or whatever.

All hypothetical, of course. In a pinch, who’s word am I taking in whether the right thing was done? Fitz, all day long. The guy never has a bad word to say publically, and he said what he (didn’t) say for a reason.

20. By B.south on Dec 19, 2016 | Reply

Im not gonna waste anyones time breaking down plays, stats, coaches and player errors because we have more than enough people commenting that crap already. I’m just gonna say that I have been a loyal fan for as long as I can remember and this is the first time in my life I am embarressed to say that. Not because its such a lousy year, God knows we have had plenty of those. Given most were before Coaches Wizz and BA came in. Its just shameful to see a roster full of talent and no heart. A preseason of high expectations and even higher capabilities dwindled down to this mess. Serioisly, what happened to that cohesive group of brothers that played like their lives were on the line? Did that stupid ass show on Prime get in their heads or what? All the first round picks, top notch coaching, playbook study, practises, and everything else that goes into building a winning team mean absolutley nothing if they don’t have the heart and soul to put it all together. So I have taken down my flag, put away my jerseys and cancelled my DTV football package because I can’t be a fan of a team that can’t even play like one.

21. By clssylssy on Dec 19, 2016 | Reply

@Adam Smith
    Seven points does not a “fifty burger” make…or apparently, you don’t watch much football.
    Yep, it was ugly, disappointing, and a sad end to our (home) season. Quite frankly, I didn’t expect us to do as well as we did. I think many of our players were going through the motions and had lost heart. Some of the younger guys were playing for a job.We could have won this easily, we should have won this, but everybody quit in their desire to win.
    This season was a disaster from the beginning and the boys in the FO have done little to nothing to make the necessary adjustments that would allow us to have the season we were so vehemently promised. Our injured players have not been replaced with others of equal or better ability, our technique for executing fundamental skills has been weak and sloppy, there has been accountability issues from the top on down, and our locker room has split. We went from first to worst in a matter of months and for no apparent reason except for mismanagement.
    To Mr. Bidwill…Sometimes the worst thing you can do is makes excuses when you have screwed up, best just to keep quiet and let things take care of themselves…the damage is done and you are just exacerbating things in your clumsy attempt to keep up appearances. For a lawyer, to rush to judgement based on “hear-say” facts from the media, is not something ,as an attorney, I would advertise. As the head of a franchise who allegedly cares about his players/employees and our “Cardinal family”, your actions have created “reasonable doubt” amongst personnel and loyal fans about your sincerity and personal agenda. I personally like hard, tangible,scientific facts (that couldn’t have possibly been available) at the time of your decision, and believe that things rarely are how they may appear.
    Looking around the league, we haven’t been the only team to suffer injuries and adversity however, this is, and has been, a recurring theme within this organization that we haven’t figured out how to address and is what separates the contenders from the pretenders. And, this is a management flaw. Until we get some basic operational problems solved we are never going to succeed no matter who is on the roster, or who we get for coaching staff.
    After twenty plus years, a season ticket holder for many, fan, and avid supporter, I am with Fitz, will finish the season but have about had it with an organization who refuses to learn from their mistakes. I sort of am hoping he will find a team where he will be able to have a happy ending as his career draws to an end; I’m thinking we all deserve more …

22. By asbda97 on Dec 19, 2016 | Reply

Does clarify a few things, and reading between the lines (if that’s possible) it would appear that they wanted Floyd to do some mea culpa, and get out in front of this in some way. That to do so would shorten the story a bit, and in the long run be better for him. Now, I’m going to guess that the agent did most of the talking, and probably said they wanted some assurance that if he did so he would be back, get offered a contract, whatever. Quid pro quo. Cardinals weren’t willing to do that. So quid pro quo fails, and they cut him. It’s their right to do so. As to the facts, which we don’t know in detail, but one can guess based upon the news about the police report that he had a lot of alcohol in him (a lot more than the .08 that Doug and Wolf say he had), and that he had exhibited problems with this throughout the season. Just the puffiness in his face would say he probably has some issues. A lose-lose all the way around, but probably mostly for Floyd.

23. By clssylssy on Dec 19, 2016 | Reply

asbda97…
    What facts? Hearsay from the media now equals facts? He refused a breath test… and so it was necessary to draw his blood which doesn’t come back immediately so, how do you know he had “a lot of alcohol in him”? FYI, there are medical conditions that resemble drunkenness including diabetes and individuals can fall asleep anywhere, at any time when suffering a narcolepsy incident, just to name a few. Often times they aren’t even aware they have these conditions which may be triggered by exhaustion (mental and physical), stress, sleep deprivation, improper diet, etc. MF was cited for “failing to comply” but it was noted that he was not combative or difficult and obnoxious…behaviors that you usually see when a subject is “resisting arrest” for DUI. The fact is, there are few real facts beyond what is being touted at the party line. “Puffiness in his face would say he has issues”???…like, perhaps he has allergies as many valley residents do! LOL. Fitz has known Michael since he was thirteen and probably knows him a lot better than anyone in the organization or in Arizona, and I will go on the knowledge and words of Larry Fitzgerald as well as Carson Palmer, before I would EVER take anything the Owner would say, who wants to protect his brand and has even admitted that his knowledge came from the media before hearing from MF.
    As far as I’m concerned, it’s done, is in the past, and is a very sad thing, but, is only a symptom of an even more serious dysfunctional problem at the management level. Fix those issues or this will continue to be a “Checkers” operation with no real shot at being a respected franchise.

24. By Michael D Wellman on Dec 19, 2016 | Reply

Well I don’t really understand why anyone would be upset with The AZ Cardinals or Michael Bidwill.
    1. Floyd likes to Drink.
    2. He had a real bad day/game, again, and got “Passed Out Drunk” behind the wheel of a Car.
    3. Did not call his Employer to report the incident till well after it was put on the Local News.
    4. Then he just kinda “Laughs it Off?!” Does not want to be apologetic, at all?
    ( regretfully acknowledging or excusing an offense or failure.)
    5. Goodby.

GO CARDS!!!

25. By Braedon Day on Dec 21, 2016 | Reply

I wanted to avoid adding to the banter, but I can’t stand by and watch all of this. The Cards do well and nobody has a problem, but they have one bad season and everyone flips the hell out. It’s honestly so aggravating! I’m sorry you have to put up with this, Darren, because this is absolutely shameful. You all need to calm the hell out and realize that this organization has a better grasp over what it needs than anything that us armchair GMs can dream up. Being a concerned fan? I get it. I’ve grown up following this team. But to act like you have all the answers is so ignorant. I hate being a Cardinals fan sometimes because you get people like this who think that it’s the end of the freakin world when things don’t turn out as well as they planned. I have so much more to say but I think I’ll leave it there.

2. Dec 18, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Saints — and playoff-hope — aftermath