Cardinals-Packers, (watching) one year later

Posted by Darren Urban on January 16, 2017 – 10:02 am

One year ago, Larry Fitzgerald did it again. The last hurrah of the 2015 season was today, January 16, as the Cardinals outlasted the Packers in overtime of the divisional round of the playoffs because Carson Palmer spun away from danger to find Fitz and then Fitz raced down the field in front of a University of Phoenix Stadium filled with screaming fans. Then came the shovel touchdown, the trip to the NFC Championship, and many, many smiles.

(The next week didn’t go so well.)

It’s good that last year’s Packers weren’t as smoking hot as this year’s version, after watching Aaron Rodgers on Sunday.

The Cardinals have had a couple of epic playoff matchups with Rodgers and the Packers. Can’t argue that. Last year’s game might not have been as fun to watch all the way through as the previous postseason tilt, but the end certainly was thrilling, to the Floyd tip-drill to the Hail Mary to all that overtime stuff. Now the league has posted the full game on youtube.com, so you can watch the whole thing again if you’d like.

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Cardinals-Packers, (watching) one year later”

1. By Brian R. on Jan 16, 2017 | Reply

probably the best playoff game in NFL history.

2. By Richard S on Jan 16, 2017 | Reply

Speaking of Hail Mary, I came across an interesting article today in stltoday.com

In the article about the St. Louis inspiration for the movie “The Exorcist”, was the following line dealing with Blatty the author of the exorcist.

Blatty was a student at Georgetown University, a Jesuit school, from 1946 to 1950. His roommate was Charles ”Stormy” Bidwill, who, with his brother Bill, once owned the football Cardinals.)

3. By JTDG on Jan 16, 2017 | Reply

My top 10 predictions for 2017

1. Tony Romo will not be traded. The cowboys will not be able to trade that massive contract and instead will release him. The Jets, in QB hell, need to win in 2017 and will sign Romo.

2. The biggest trade no one is talking about. The Browns give up one of their 2nd round picks for QB AJ Macarron. With the first overall pick, they take DE Myles Garrett.

3. The Niners hire Kyle Shanahan. One thing those Shanahans like is a moblie QB.
    The Niners use the 2nd overall pick on Deshaun Watson.

4. The Bears do not draft a QB with the 3rd overall pick with Jonathan Allen on the board. They do not release Jay Cutler either.

5. The Patriots will find no takers for Jimmy Garapalo.

6. Darrelle Revis will be released from the jets and cardinal fans will beg for Keim to get the over the hill CB. (although they shouldn’t)

7. QBs will drop in the draft. The Cardinals will draft Deshone Kiser, but in the 2nd round.

8. To help out Bortles, With 67 million in cap space, The Jags will be active in FA, signing several Offensive lineman and then draft RB Leonard Fournette.

9. With Wade Phillips in LA, look for Robert Quinn to bounce back from 2 terrible years and lead the league in sacks. I see Phillips doing with Quinn that he has done with other pass rushers Von Miller, JJ Watt, Demarcus Ware in Dallas and Shawn Merriman.

10. The cardinals will draft CB Marlon Humphries. Humphries is long, athletic, and Physical. Everything Keim said he wanted in his defense.

4. By Scott H on Jan 16, 2017 | Reply

Pretty amazing that as other-worldly good as Aaron Rodgers has been / still is, he is 0-2 against the Cardinals in the playoffs. And given how BADLY the Cardinals beat up the Packers AND Rodgers in that 38-0 demolition in Week 16 of the regular season last year….I’d say UoP Stadium is definitely not among his favorite places to visit. THAT was probably the worst beating ( physically and on the scoreboard ) Rodgers has ever endured. He had that look, ya know? That look that says I’m done, I don’t want any part of this team anymore. Cam Newton had that look in the SB last year against Denver.

All of that said, I do love Aaron Rodgers. He might be my favorite non-Cardinal player of all time. Hard to pick a favorite in the NFC title game because I’m happy for the Falcons, too. I just want to see the NFC win the SB, no matter what the match-up.

5. By Scott H on Jan 16, 2017 | Reply

So much for a change of scenery for Michael Floyd. He looked as lost as a Patriot this weekend as he did as a Cardinal for most of 2016. Saw Edleman and Hogan making catch after catch while Floyd was missing balls that became interceptions and getting called for offensive pass interference. Um….that does not endear you to the QB or the HC out there. Virtually no impact on the stat sheet…..yet, he was on the field and in the game. Yeah, that sounds familiar.

6. By dynosoar on Jan 16, 2017 | Reply

The Top
    Cardinals

The Middle
    Everyone else not in top or bottom

The Bottom (alphabetical)
    Cowboys, 49ers, Giants, Patriots, Seahawks

Go Atlanta or Green Bay!

My favorite playoff games of all time chronologically
    1998 Cardinals/Cowboys. Our three games to the Super Bowl, The Cardinals/Packers Wild Card game the following year (#1) and the Cardinals/Packers game last year.

7. By Steve on Jan 16, 2017 | Reply

JTDG: I like your predictions except the Cards taking Kiser. He is not an accurate passer judging by his under 60% completion record, I really think Trubisky and Mahomes are the top 2 QB’s in this draft. Mahomes has a stronger arm than Kiser and more importantly is more accurate.

8. By Steve on Jan 16, 2017 | Reply

I have watched Kiser’s highlights and he reminds me more and more of Logan Thomas.

9. By CardsNation on Jan 16, 2017 | Reply

4 draft predictions for the Cardinals

1. Unlikely but good

1st: WR Mike Williams
    2nd: RG Dan Feeney
    3rd: QB Brad Kaaya/Pat Mahomes

2. Trade down in the first round and get an extra second round pick and perhaps a 3rd or 4th round pick in this draft. Select a Cornerback in the first round and get WR and OG in second, ILB and/or QB third.

3. 1st Sidney Jones/Marlon Humphrey
    2nd: Deshone Kizer/Pat Mahomes
    3rd: Cooper Kupp/Juju Smith-Schuster

4. 1st: Reuben Foster
    2nd: Dan Feeney
    3rd: Tre’Davious White

10. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2017 | Reply

Dynosoar –

Interesting….from the way you worded it, it doesn’t sound like you are INCLUDING the Super Bowl we played in that year! Only the three playoff games that got us there are mentioned. Though it was painful to come SOOOO close and lose, I am still nothing but proud of the Cardinals and the game they played that day. It was awesome. No one thought they deserved to be there, no one expected them to make a game of it, but…..damned if they didn’t. It was recently ranked by the NFL Network as the greatest SB of all time ( for what that’s worth ).

Or, were not counting SB’s as playoff games? I could see that.

11. By D on Jan 17, 2017 | Reply

Those are interesting predictions JTDG. I could see your 1st round pick for AZ coming true, although in the Second round, don’t be surprised by a WR named, Taywan Taylor is taken, he is everything that BA wants in a WR. He should be a 3rd selection, but after the combine, he will move up on everyone’s chart.

12. By JTDG on Jan 17, 2017 | Reply

Steve,

You may be right. But remember, these are predictions, not my wants.

Kiser equal to Logan Thomas? Well they drafted Thomas didn’t they?

To me, I think Kiser has a Geno Smith type drop to the 2nd round and the cards really want that QB of the future. So , I matched them together.

13. By JTDG on Jan 17, 2017 | Reply

D,

Interesting player. Needs to have a big senior bowl week. Another small school guy that can blow by his competition. But can he do it against the elite.
    Could be a smaller version of Terrence Williams?

14. By Dynosoar on Jan 17, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

I don’t see the SB as a playoff game, h o w e v e r, I should’ve included it in my list on a separate line.

Interesting that Yardbarkers Steve Pelonero ranked the top 30 SB/Playoff games in the SB era and in the top ten there are five teams that make 3 appearances. Pitts, Pack, NE, Seahawks and our Cardinals.

#8 SB XLIII
    #7 2010 Wildcard, Cardinals 51 Packers 45
    #1 2016 Divisional, Cardinal 26 Packers 20.

As to the draft
    If he’s there (and I doubt he will be)
    Derek Barnett. 6’3″, 265
    Broke Reggie White’s school record for sacks in three years. Reggie White Man! Reggie White. And it took Reggie four years to get the record 32 sacks, Derek had 33 sacks in three.

Yeah, I don’t think he’ll be there, but if he is…

15. By Steve on Jan 17, 2017 | Reply

Darren: Speaking of free agents, what would you do if the NFL Network money whips you to do Ed Werder like assignments for them? Would Mr.Urban pack his bags for LA?

16. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: NFL Network

I don’t see that happening. But hey, you never know.

17. By Wild Blue Yonder on Jan 17, 2017 | Reply

I’ve seen Kiser and he doesn’t impress me as the “Franchise” QB that the Cards need i.e. too erratic.
    But, if Keim takes him, I hope that I’m wrong.

JTDG,
    It will be ironic if Keim takes a CB in the first round when he should have taken one last draft.