Arians and his torn rotator cuff

Posted by Darren Urban on January 23, 2017 – 10:17 am

Even Bruce Arians ended up with a significant injury this season.

The injuries hit the Cardinals much harder in 2016 — when they used a total of 70 players during the 16 games — than 2015 — when the total was 56. (The 70 players that appeared in at least one game was the most for the Cardinals, in fact, since they used 74 during the 2005 season.) That list, of course, doesn’t include Arians, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t hurt.

And we’re not talking his two separate hospital stints either. No, this was an injury — a torn rotator cuff, in fact, which Arians confirmed to azcentral’s Dan Bickley. Arians said his left rotator cuff was “torn completely through” when wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald hugged him in celebration of Chandler Catanzaro’s game-winning field goal in Seattle on Christmas Eve.

Arians had hinted at such. In his final press conference, Arians noted “my shoulder that Larry screwed up. I just got it injected and will see if I have surgery on it.” He jokingly said Fitz would pay if he couldn’t golf, but apparently, Arians is making do on the course. (We’ll see how — if — he can get it done next week in the Waste Management Phoenix Open pro-am.) And unlike Fitzgerald, who wanted to let his body heal before making a decision about playing in 2017 (no decision yet), Arians knows he’ll be around in 2017, regardless of his shoulder situation.

cuffblog

Tags: , ,

28 Responses to “Arians and his torn rotator cuff”

1. By Big Ken on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

Lighten up Larry!

2. By joe holst on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

it was worth it burying the punk, whiney, crying, spoiled, drama queen Seattle Seahawks. I despise the Seahawks and there fans

3. By Steve on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

Larry doesn’t know his own strength lol. Speaking of receivers, I couldn’t help but notice that Michael Floyd was inactive for the game against the Steelers for playing like a knucklehead against the Texans the week before. Belichick will probably cut him after the season.

4. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Floyd

Floyd is already scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent.

5. By D on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

If C. Palmer’s family talk him into retirement, would Mr. Keim send a 1st and 4th to NE for Jimmy G? He appears a better option than the 3-4th QB in this draft. (good assumption at least 2 maybe 3 of the top QB’s will be gone by 13). Jimmy is also younger than M. Glennon by two years. Glennon wouldn’t cost draft picks but I think Mike will be a career backup at this point in time…

Did you all see that Mr. Floyd was a healthy scratch last night…..he better do some soul searching this summer because his next team maybe his last…

6. By JTDG on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

D,

Got to believe Palmer is our guy with or without Fitz.

I think Palmer goes, then Fitz does, but not the other way around. Palmer is going to play.

Protect Palmer and get him weapons.

7. By JTDG on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

Someone wrote a blog or two back that BA may have Fitz block less and not play the slot as much.

If that is true, I will make a huge change in the draft strategy.

Mike Williams is the number #1 receiver in the draft and would still take him at 13, but I will say now that the Cards would consider Corey Davis.

Why the change?
    Because Davis is big and Physical. He could come in and block from the slot. Also, because of his route running abilities, he could work the underneath routes and move the chains. It would be a perfect fit for him as he grows into the NFL.
    If Fitz is playing there, I am not sure he adds a ton on the outside. But if Fitz plays outside more, it would make sense to get someone who can play inside.

To that whole note, could Jaron Brown fill that spot? Instead, grab a CB or LB and look receiver later in the draft?

Lots to consider.

8. By D on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

Just throwing out the possibility due to the fact Mr. Palmer has not officially informed BA and Keim yet, that he is coming back for 2017. Need a plan B if he does retire. The draft looks weak and the FA market for QB’s looks worse right now.

9. By Wild Blue Yonder on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

Michael Floyd inactive for Patriots vs. Steelers

“…Acquired on waivers from the Cardinals in mid-December, Floyd turned in a mistake-filled performance in last week’s victory over the Texans. After one drop led to an interception, another was nearly picked later in the game. Floyd was also flagged for offensive pass interference….”

10. By JTDG on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

D,

I agree with your assessment. But I am thinking, I am sticking to my plan. If Palmer walks, then Fitz walks.

Therefore, it is a rebuilding year. Look hard at a rookie QB and play Drew Stanton. Draft a couple young receivers and lineman and spend on defense.

Then look to 2018 to make a move.

Or, as me and clssylssy were discussing, AJ McCarren looks available for trade and seems to fit the BA offense.

But honestly, I would say I am 99% sure Palmer returns.

11. By Scott H on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

OK, we have to use this to our advantage! This is our ticket to making sure Fitz plays next year! Might sound a little harsh as it starts off but bear with me…..seeing as Fitz caused severe and irreparable harm to Bruce Arians, we have to get BA to threaten to sue for medical bills, pain and suffering, whatever it takes, UNLESS Fitz plays for the Cardinals in 2017. Fitz plays, BA agrees to drop all charges.

No? Too much?

Hey, I’m trying……

Man, Fitz is a beast, even when he’s happy! Can ya imagine being any where near him following a SB win???? I, for one, will happily volunteer for being on the receiving end of that!

It was kinda depressing watching Atlanta yesterday. Because watching them, I kept thinking to myself THIS is what the 2015 Cardinals could have been like if they hadn’t gone in the tank right before the playoffs started. We were exactly that kind of team – capable of putting more weapons out there than the defense could cover and just flat out-scoring you. I felt like ALL that separated the 2015 Cardinals and the 2016 Falcons was that we peaked too soon and they peaked at just the right time. Sigh…..

12. By Scott H on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

Great to see Fitz make the final 3 for NFL’s Man of the Year honor. His greatness off the field may be surpassed only by his greatness ON the field. Or, perhaps the other way around would be just as true.

Yesterday, I wore my new Pat Tillman jersey for the first time and I was stopped so many times by people who offered a complement and / or comment about Tillman and his story. It was awesome. And it made me think…..I also get so many positive reactions when I wear my Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner jerseys. And I realize how many great guys have worn this uniform and how respected they are not just as players, but as people, ya know? Gotta say – it’s good to be a Cardinals fan!

13. By Pitt on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

The Cards have one more year with Carson at the wheel and Fitz catching. In my opinion, Keim should have found replacements already and waiting in the wings.
    Looks to me like another round just like after Warner left. If Carson and Fitz’s replacements aren’t here for next season, prepare for the worst.
    BA will leave with Carson and Fitz and leave the team in a very bad spot. I’m surprised management is letting this happen. I know good QB’s are hard to find but in BA’s time, no one seems to be good enough except his boy Stanton.
    Looks like we will have a hard 3 or 4 years till we find a replacement for the departing players.

14. By CardsNation on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

He needs to return to teach the Rookies WR from this draft.

15. By Richard S on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

I’ve been worried about somebody getting hurt with Fitz tackling everyone in sight. I think he owes it to Arians now to come back and give up his horseplay.

16. By Big Ken on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

JTDG-I can’t believe what I’m reading. Your harsh assessments of Corey Davis in the recent past. And now an endorsement? With Deshaun Watson now a top ten consideration Mike Williams might take a slip to 13th. Corey Davis is no Mike Williams.

17. By JTDG on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Big Ken,

Hold on, Mike Williams is my guy if on the board no matter what.

All I was saying is, if Fitz is moved out of the slot , Davis would be a good option.

As for Davis, I have said he is a first rounder. But I think there are questions about him with his speed and ability to win one on one battles. But he is big and runs great routes. Stick him in the slot, and he can block and catch those passes to move the chains.

I also just saw that JuJu Smith has declared. I thought for sure he was returning. He is my 2nd favorite receiver in the draft.

So, Williams #1 , JuJu #2 and Davis #3.

18. By Eazy E on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Wow Larry accidentally tore his rotator cuff geez lol!

19. By Eazy E on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Why some of y’all hating on Floyd’s success?! He would have a bad game because he doesn’t know the playbook through and through.

20. By Eazy E on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

I wish the best for Floyd. Y’all need to too for the ones that’s hating!

21. By Eazy E on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

We as Cardinal fans need to stop calling the Seahawks this and that. They’re an elite team and really, really good and I’m sure they’d say the same about us sans last year!

22. By clssylssy on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Richard S…
    Fitz doesn’t owe BA jack, and the worst thing for any organization is to force someone into a corner to do a job they have no interest in. Pete Carroll is older than BA and is very active with his players w/o making headlines for “injuries” he may sustain “horsing around”. Perhaps if BA is too fragile to be on the sidelines, he shouldn’t be, but, I’m sure Fitz had no malicious intentions and probably feels very bad about aggravating a pre-existing injury in an elderly person. The fact is, BA constantly downplays his age, so maybe this incident will be a reality check that he isn’t a spring chicken or “one of the boys” any longer.

23. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: “fragile”

Truly, your posts are one of a kind.

24. By Scott H on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Eazy E –

RE: Floyd’s success

I’m sorry, can you help me out here? What did I miss? Last we saw Michael Floyd, he was having a pretty terrible game for the Pats in the Divisional round. The following week, for the AFC title game, Floyd wasn’t even active. Which is pretty much what happens when you play terrible for the New England Patriots.

Yet, you call this success. Interesting….

Making claims that he didn’t know the playbook as an excuse for him is pretty ridiculous. Look, not knowing the playbook “through and through” doesn’t account for passes bouncing off your hands ( and being intercepted ). It also doesn’t account for his being called for offensive pass interference. And that is pretty much all I can remember from that game he played in against the Texans because, well…. that’s pretty much all he did.

C’mon, man. That’s not hating on Floyd. That is just straight-up keeping it real.

25. By Big Ken on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Daily Chuckle

26. By Scott H on Jan 26, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Fitz

Not sure if I ever asked, but have you ever been one of Larry’s “victims?”

27. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz victim

Meaning has Fitz ever tackled me? Yes. I’ve been brought to the ground. I have also been victimized in Fitz’s other “fun” way — a hug after a practice when he is dripping with sweat. He likes that one too.

I have avoided injury.

28. By Scott H on Jan 26, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

That is awesome! Tell me you don’t consider it an honor to have been bum-rushed by Larry Fitzgerald! I love that he has those playful tendencies. Seems like a big puppy – who may not realize his own strength!

Personally, I hope he will be around to claim a few more un-suspecting “victims” at practice this year.