Fitzgerald won’t play in Pro Bowl

Posted by Darren Urban on January 23, 2017 – 2:49 pm

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald pulled out of the Pro Bowl Monday due to injury, and is being replaced by Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin, according to Seahawks.com. Fitz was banged up by the end of the season — which he noted with the bumps and bruises he said he wanted to recover from before making a decision in terms of playing in 2017. It was the 10th time Fitzgerald was named to the Pro Bowl.

Fitzgerald was one of three Cardinals’ Pro Bowlers. The team is now down to one — cornerback Patrick Peterson. Running back David Johnson’s chance to play was derailed when he sprained his MCL in the season finale against the Rams.

Fitzgerald was just named a finalist for the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year award. No Pro Bowl means the next time he could face the media — and questions about his future — would be at the NFL Honors show on Super Bowl eve, if he happens to win the Payton award.

a63-01225

Tags: , , ,

30 Responses to “Fitzgerald won’t play in Pro Bowl”

1. By JTDG on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

Well, no reason to watch now.

Went to it before and it was pretty boring. I really don’t understand why they even play a game. Why not fly them to Hawaii, plan some fun activities and give them a plaque or something and call it a day.

2. By shannon robinson on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

Thank you Larry – give Patrick a call?

3. By Marlin on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

If a player is given the Franchise Tag, does his salary that year go against the Cap?

4. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Tag/cap

Yes. In fact, if a player is tagged, that salary counts against the cap regardless of whether the player has yet signed his tender.

5. By sarrott on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

Did we have any alternates get to go to the pro bowl?

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Sarrott —

RE: Pro Bowl alternates

Not as of yet.

7. By Richard S on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

I’m more interested in the College Allstar games than the pro-bowl. I used to like them more when one of the games was played after the draft and the players wore the helmets of the team that drafted them. I recorded the NFL Players Association Collegiate Bowl last weekend and the East West Shrine Game. I hope I remember to record the Senior Bowl this Sunday so I can see a player or three that the Cardinals will draft. You can get the players numbers off the internet for ease of watching.

8. By Richard S on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

I meant record the game this Saturday. I’m still on the NFL calender.

9. By Berdj J. Rassam on Jan 23, 2017 | Reply

At this point in his career, the Pro Bowl means little, getting healthy means a lot.

10. By Eric G on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

I will take this as meaning he is totally leaning toward playing next year. One more year Larry, pretty please with a cherry on top.

11. By Cardinal's Chick on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

I was thrilled to see my guy Fitz selected as 1 of the 3 finalists for the Walter Payton MoY. He has been a such a wonderful example of professionalism both on and off the field…and remains one of the humblest players in the league. I sincerely hope that he wins the honor.

JTDG – I agree w/ your assessment of the Pro bowl. It really isn’t fun to watch…IMO they should just play flag-football.

12. By steve on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Darren: Can I ask your prediction as to who will the Super Bowl between the Falcons and Patriots and the final score?

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Super Bowl

So hard to know. Tough to pick against Pats when they have two weeks to prepare. Would like to be closer to know about injuries too — Alex Mack is gimpy right now.

I suppose if I had to make a pick at this moment, I’d say Patriots, 28-24. But I’m not going to be surprised at all with a Falcons win.

14. By Scott H on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Eric G –

Ditto! I thought the same thing. Or, at least, that is what I’m hoping – that he is skipping the Pro Bowl so he can just keep resting and healing for next year.

BTW, I LOVE that Doug Baldwin is only getting in because Fitz is stepping aside. Does my heart good to see things as they should be – Seahawks players in line BEHIND Cardinals players.

Regarding the Pro Bowl, I can’t even remember the last time I watched one. It was a LONG time ago, I can tell ya that.

15. By mitchaz on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Pre- Super Bowl Thoughts:

* Well, a moment of truth has arrived for the New England Patriots. The fascinating question is whether they can beat the Falcons and their high-octane passing game without Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins.

* Despite the Pats’ mediocre pass rush (Trey Flowers-7 sacks; Chris Long-4; Jabaal Sheard-5), their defense has been winning games through their pesky pass coverage and their stinginess in the red zone.

* However, the Pats have yet to face an offense as explosive as the Falcons’. One would imagine that they will press Julio Jones with CB Malcolm Butler and give him help over the top from FS Devin McCourty. That would mean pressing Muhammed Sanu with CB Logan Ryan. Ryan is better when he has safety help, thus Sanu could have a big game. TE Austin Hooper will be covered by SS Patrick Chung.

* Now here’s where things get much trickier for the Pats. WR Taylor Gabriel and RBs Devonte Freeman and Tevin Coleman—3 explosive speed receivers versus the Pats’ nickel CB/S Duron Harmon and ILBs Dont’a Hightower and Kyle Van Noy. All 3 scenarios are mismatches in favor of the Falcons—and if the Pats don’t get pressure on Matt Ryan, they could have a hard time keeping the Falcons out of the end zone.

* Not only would Chandler Jones have been their best pass rushing option (by far)—Jamie Collins would have been their best, most athletic LB option in coverage versus the speedy Falcon RBs. Heck, even the Falcons’ tough and versatile FB, Patrick DiMarco ripped off a 31 yard reception in the NFC Championship game.

* Certainly, Bill Belichick and Matt Patricia will devise ways to try to confuse Matt Ryan by mixing up coverages and blitzes. And this is what the Patriots gambled on when they traded Jones and Collins—that Tom Brady will light up the scoreboard and Bill Belichick and Matt Patricia will dial up a winning formula on defense, making optimum use of their remaining personnel.

16. By D on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Darren-are you seeing any angst around the facility? Losing Larry right now would be very depressing, but losing Palmer and Larry at the same time to retirement, would make we want to scream.. Serenity Now!!!…or just start dropping f bombs.. Both have made a lot of $ and both have achieved many individual goals…I would have no anger at them personally because having a quality life after football is more important…

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

D —

RE: Angst

Decision-makers in the organization don’t approach this the same way as fans. It’s not like this hasn’t been discussed a lot over the last couple of years. Two years ago, there was the chance Fitz might go elsewhere because of his contract. It wouldn’t be ideal for both to retire, but it won’t be ideal if it is next year either. You never want to lose good players. But that’s how this works.

18. By TucsonTim on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Fill in the blank

Fitz would have played ____ more seasons if Arians had left him at WR?

Darren can you key that up on the web site.

19. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Fitz

Did I miss something? Was Fitz moved to linebacker or something?

20. By TucsonTim on Jan 24, 2017 | Reply

Yes that’s exactly what I meant. Linebacker, slot receiver same thing. It was in all the news.

21. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2017 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Fitz in slot

I feel confident in saying Fitz would be considering retirement even if he wasn’t in the slot. Even if he had been outside the whole time. Even if he played linebacker. That has little effect on this.

22. By clssylssy on Jan 25, 2017 | Reply

Personally, I think this sucks! Or, maybe I’m just selfishly wanting to see Fitz again in pads, and take this as an another indication that he’s made his decision, and has put on the cleats for the last time already (as was suggested in the Post Rams post). If that is the case, and this is a step at exiting professional football, that’s our loss as fans but I feel extremely fortunate to have had been able to have him represent the Cardinals all these years and would rather see him go out on top, than in some sort of watered down backup role (as alluded to by another poster).
    The thing about the Cardinals that has continually driven me crazy is their inability to learn from their past mistakes, i.e., one would have thought we would have been better at planning for the inevitable retirement of key players (such as Fitz and Palmer) by grooming their replacements well ahead of necessity. And, I’m not saying we haven’t drafted WRs or taken a stab at backup QBs, however, did anyone really believe one of BA’s little speedsters would ever replace Larry? Floyd and John Brown started dropping passes long before this year, nobody out there in FA? Did Kurt Warner’s abrupt retirement not teach us anything about having a backup plan (or a backup for your backup)? How much effort did we REALLY put into grooming the QBs we’ve signed that have come and gone?
    Maybe Fitz and Carson will be back for one last rodeo but then what? Can this team realistically be expected to hit .500 with a patched together roster when we couldn’t accomplish that with what was considered the most talented roster in the NFL plus the loss of key defensive players? Yep, I’d say we’re toast! And if David gets hurt being the one man band, then I guess we’ll be stale toast?
    And, as far as the ProBowl goes, I enjoy it for what it’s meant to be and don’t watch it expecting to see a mini-Superbowl. The ProBowl is for fun and an opportunity to recognize players across the league for their excellent performance during the year. I still have my Fitzgerald jersey from the year Larry was the MVP, which is one of my favs!

23. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: 2017

“I’d say we’re toast!”

I believe you’ve set the world record for bailing out on a season. The Super Bowl for the previous season has yet to be played, there’s been no draft, no free agency, and yet you’ve already dismissed 2017.

Impressive.

24. By clssylssy on Jan 26, 2017 | Reply

Darren….
    You act like I’m the only one to express dissatisfaction with the season(s)? I have been hanging onto hope for the Cardinals for over twenty years and have spent more money than I care to think about on season tickets, away games, memorabilia, time off work, etc., so, it’s not like my reaction is “knee jerk” or exactly impulsive!
    And, what has the Super Bowl for the previous season have to do with us, but be a painful reminder of all that wasn’t, but was promised! Draft? Free Agency? LOL..love the way you (all) try to spin that as if it’s going to change anything, when talent hasn’t been the problem!
    Admittedly, I have “hung in there” to give BA a chance to make good on his word to take us back to the SB (get Fitz that ring), but, without Fitz,much of our defense, maybe even Palmer, I just don’t see much left to get excited about–especially when looking at the aggressive manner in which the teams around us are moving forward. Even BA has lost a step, and much of that youthful enthusiasm that previously seemed to inspire his players to win, has become kinda harsh and bitter sounding. But, mostly, you can see the pervasive sense of futility in the eyes of our leaders. The end of the 2015 season, the over-hyped 2016 season, and grim reality of how it actually played out…no, I don’t feel I’m the one who needs to “impress”, apologize or defend my observations because I’m not the only one. You seem to take my remarks personally when perhaps you should just look at the value in receiving all feedback, whether it’s positive or negative.
    The fact is, if I had “bailed”, II would not be on the Homepage and wouldn’t care about what was happening with the team even after our season ended with the Saints loss.

25. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Dissatisfaction

There’s a difference between expressing dissatisfaction or even anger, and believing the Cardinals already have no shot in 2017. Which is what you said. “We’re toast.”

I’m not sure what I am trying to “spin” in your eyes. The Cardinals may not make a run in 2017. I don’t know if they will or won’t. I feel secure in saying neither do you, in part because you have no idea what this team is going to look like.

I don’t care if you apologize or impress or whatever. If you put your thoughts here — and this goes for everyone — I may come back at you. If that isn’t what you want, don’t comment here. I always find it funny that people want to put their opinions out, and when I express mine, some believe that’s wrong.

26. By clssylssy on Jan 26, 2017 | Reply

No Darren, I agree. It’s a two-way street which makes for a more lively, interesting, and entertaining exchange. I have thick skin so no problem here.
    As for my belief that “we’re toast” that was a response to another poster who said that if Fitz and Palmer left we could be toast. Whether we are or not, remains to be seen however, in light of our numerous needs and history with the draft (not getting players who are immediate “impact players” but rather developmental projects), it would seem that to be a reality in light of Cap restrictions etc.
    Perhaps my choice of words was poor, but after the “All or Nothing” hype, I guess everything feels a little like “spin” that comes from the Organization…my comments are not directed at you personally, and, yes I understand the need for businesses to downplay their losses while offering encouragement to their consumers.

27. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 26, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

Your analysis of how the Cardinals have addressed the WR position is way off.

In 2012, with their first-round pick (and #13 OA), the Cards selected Floyd. He had a productive first year (with Skelton/Kolb/Lindley as QB’s) and then in 2013, he became a 1,000-yard receiver — the team’s only one, by the way, as Larry just missed the milestone. Most people after 2013 were saying Floyd was going to surpass Larry as our #1 receiver.

In 2014, Floyd remained our #1 receiver in yards (though not catches), and actually had a higher yards-per-catch than the year before. Problem was, only 6 games that year were Palmer; the rest were Stanton/Lindley, so it was a down year for both him and Larry. It was John Brown’s first year, and he exceeded most people’s expectations, approaching Fitz’s and Floyd’s totals.

In 2015, Fitz had a resurgence to over 100 catches and 1200+ yards. John Brown broke out for over 1000 yards in just his second year. Floyd didn’t have a great year, but with Larry and Brown going for over 1000 yards each, there are only so many yards to going around. Floyd still went for 849 yards and continued to be more of a big-play receiver (even in 2015, he still led the team in yards per catch).

Floyd may have had a few drops in 2015, but no one was saying he was a guy with a huge dropping problem. He was still making a lot of big plays for the Cardinals (as I mentioned above, he still led the team in YPC in a relatively down year). And I don’t remember anyone saying anything about John Brown other than that he was a gem of a find in the 3rd round. Some people WERE saying that perhaps the emergence of Brown meant he could be the #2 guy and Floyd would be expendable at the end of 2016 — and some were even saying Floyd should be traded so that we could get some value for him instead of just watching him walk at the end of 2016 — but no one was saying Floyd sucks or Floyd wasn’t an asset to the team. That only came up this year. Similarly, John Brown’s issues with the sickle cell trait only came up this year.

So acting like the Cardinals had a WR problem that they weren’t addressing for the past several years is silly. We suddenly have a problem because Floyd turned into hands-of-stone, Brown was diagnosed with the sickle cell trait, Jaron Brown got hurt and wasn’t available for the whole year, and now Larry might retire. If Floyd and Brown had years like they had previously and Larry was talking about retiring, then we’d be talking about resigning Floyd to make up for the loss of Larry. Instead, Floyd was awful and then got a DUI so he became expendable.

Going into this year, most people were talking about our receiving crew as among the tops in the league. It’s revisionist history to suggest we needed to be addressing a deficiency at WR.

28. By JTDG on Jan 26, 2017 | Reply

Kevin,

Agree with you.

I was one who felt the cards should trade Floyd before 2016. I felt with the Browns and Fitz , if we added a draft pick, we were in good shape at receiver.

If the Brown’s bounce back and we add that draft pick (you know the guys I like) , we will be fine even if Fitz walks (much better if he stays). But if by the draft, John Brown isn’t showing improvements, maybe draft two.

29. By clssylssy on Jan 27, 2017 | Reply

Watched the Skills portion of the ProBowl and found it very entertaining. It looked like the guys were really having fun, and the physicality required in some of the tests was impressive. It’s too bad that the NFL had this scheduled at some obscure time on a Thursday (?) on ESPN and not included with the Airing of the ProBowl on Sunday. If I didn’t follow some players on Twitter, I wouldn’t have known it was on and had friends who missed it entirely because it wasn’t promoted. It’s not like there is anything on Network TV worth watching at this time of the year anyway but the NFL will no doubt say they didn’t get enough viewers to indicate lack interest.
    The QB passing drill looked like something the Cardinals should incorporate in practice drills and is a MAJOR upgrade to the “bucket challenge”. Phillip Rivers beat out Drew Brees in this and I had to wonder how Carson would have done–it wasn’t easy but I think he might have surprised everybody!
    Unfortunate that the Cards didn’t have more representation, the NFC was hot racking up $$$$$ for charity! Good job Patrick!

30. By Grover Altis on Jan 29, 2017 | Reply

If palmer going to retire they could look tony romo then maybe Fitzgerald will stay