Niners GM pick not McDonough

Posted by Darren Urban on January 29, 2017 – 7:05 pm

Cardinals vice president of player personnel Terry McDonough made it to the end of the 49ers’ search for a General Manager, but Sunday night, it came out that the 49ers made their pick and it wasn’t McDonough. It wasn’t the Vikings’ George Paton either. It turned out to be a previously unknown candidate — FOX analyst and former Buccaneers and Broncos safety John Lynch.

It’s an interesting choice for the NFC West rival Niners, who will hire Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan as coach. In the meantime, McDonough will remain in the Cardinals’ front office as the Cardinals head into roster-building season with free agency and the draft.

Tags: ,

57 Responses to “Niners GM pick not McDonough”

1. By Jacob Hewitt on Jan 29, 2017 | Reply

Hey Darren
    I thaught David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald and Campbell would attend pro bowl what happend I did not see them all I saw was Patrick Peterson .
    Ps if you know Bruce Aiains we live near his GA home.im only 14 and my dad is a steelers fan and he said he could put Bruce arains under the table . So if u do know him just tell him My dad is willing to go drink bear with him and he will pay ha ha ha that’s funny.

2. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: Pro Bowl

David Johnson hurt his knee in the season finale and was never going to play. Fitz pulled out of the game last week.

3. By Jacob Hewitt on Jan 29, 2017 | Reply

Re Drinks
    It’s bear and my Father would be paying for all beeer drunk

4. By JTDG on Jan 29, 2017 | Reply

Watched the Senior bowl 2 years ago and watched a small school RB from Northern Iowa tear it up. I thought he looked like a high 2nd rounder, maybe even a 1st rounder, but then the so-called experts gave all the reasons he should not be picked that high. David Johnson was drafted mid way in the 3rd round.

This weekend, I watched the 2017 version of David Johnson. From little Eastern Carolina, comes Zay Jones. This guy is a very good receiver. Over the next month or two, people are going to pick him apart, but for my money, this guy is a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder.

Zay Jones was the best player at the Senior Bowl.

Other guys I noticed that would be fits for the cardinals;
    RB Kareem Hunt
    Guards/Center – Dion Dawkins, Dan Feeney, and Tyler Orlosky
    ILB’s – Haasen Riddick and Alex Anzalone
    Kicker – Zane Gonzales
    DE/DT – Montravious Adams
    Punt returner/RB/ Slot receiver/ Kick off – Donnel Pumphrey
    DE – Carlos Watkins (liked him before this week, and he was a standout in practice but didn’t play much)
    TE – OJ Howard
    WR Josh Reynolds

-I really like Donnel Pumphriey as a late round pick. I think he could be the answer to our punt and kick offs. He could be that “scat back’ at times also.

– Alex Anzalone could be a nice special teams guy and push Bucannon and maybe take over in 2018 at ILB.

– Riddick is a bit of a project moving from DE but he is athletic and tough. He could be a force taking over from Minter. There are several LBs in this draft I like better though.

– I would take all three of the OL I mentioned above. I also like the two DL.

– OJ Howard would be a nice pick up but he is a first rounder .

5. By Marlin on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

One good piece of news.

6. By mitchaz on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

Happy about keeping Terry McDonough and not losing him to division rival. This is an extremely important off-season and draft for the Cardinals and McDonough is an important voice and influence in the process.

7. By Marlin on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

We’re entering an “Era of Change” for our Cardinals. One year from now, alot of this team will look very different. Let’s hope we navigate the segue with good decisions.

8. By Eric G on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

Good news for the Cardinals. Glad to keep him.

9. By LadyBird04 on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

The decision by Jed York and the dysfunctional 49ers solidifies my belief that Terry had dodged a HUGE bullet. From all reports this selection process was so secret it could put the CIA to shame. Lynch has NO experience in managing any organization, not even a local Starbucks, but now he is going to be put in charge of a multi-million (billion?) dollar organization. An organization that has been floundering and obviously has no system in place to identify personnel and then get the selections to be able to play together.

Terry will surely get another opportunity and we can all hope for his sake it will be a much better place to go. We will benefit from his talent for another year. Yeah! Sorry only that IF that job was the “one” he cherished he was disappointed.

10. By shannon robinson on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

Can’t think of a better guy to have on our Front Office team right now for the Cards’ than Terry McDonough. We won’t have him much after this year. He will make a big difference with our final Roster.

11. By clssylssy on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

I would say that McDonough got off the hook and was saved from a dumpster fire. My bet is that the GM position is only a figurehead and that the Shannahans will run the entire show. Their hiring of a GM with zero qualifications would suggest that McDonough dodged a bullet and, if patient, a real GM job will be in his future.

12. By D on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

The Yorks need to get out of football..Eddie D must be crying over how far the SF franchise has fallen.

I am liking T. Kpassagnon from Villanova as a DE. Could add another 15 lbs but could be a nice Second Round draft pick to help replace C. Campbell after CC gets money whipped in free agency..

13. By Big Ken on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

RE: ‘rival Niners’ Oh well haha

14. By Kurt on Jan 30, 2017 | Reply

49’s big win for the Cardinals

15. By Eric G on Jan 31, 2017 | Reply

You know, one would think that if you had a GM job open, you’d immediately take someone from the Patriots organization. They have done a better job at finding team players more than any team in history. Think about it, Brady is the centerpiece yeah, but he hasn’t had a Jerry Rice, a Lynn Swann, a Julio Jones, a Michael Irvin etc. Yeah he had Moss, but only for 3 years. Instead, he’s had guys like Edelman, Welker, Brown, and Branch. These are guys that the GM/coaches found that just know how to play ball. The same is true for all of their pieces. They trade Chandler Jones, get a crappy Guard in return and don’t miss a heartbeat. They are in the super bowl again. If anything, I’d love for the Cards to raid the Patriots GM staff, at least for the draft anyway.

16. By mitchaz on Jan 31, 2017 | Reply

This article epitomizes Terry McDonough’s diligence:

17. By Scott H on Jan 31, 2017 | Reply

Hey, if the powers that be want him here, then I’m glad he’s staying here. Done.

I agree that John Lynch does seem to be an interesting choice for….GENERAL MANAGER??? Really? Last I saw, he was a network broadcaster. Where is the track record of success ( or ANY track record at all ) as a front office guy?? But, OK. If I’m a 49ers fan, I’m probably not too thrilled with this. But I’m not a 49ers fan. And I’m glad. Shanahan seems an obvious choice to be somebody’s HC, but I’m not sold on him, either. Big difference between being an OC for a team with an embarassment of riches of offensive weapons and stepping into being the HC for a team as lacking in talent as the 49ers are. We’ll see how all that goes. I think the 49ers are a long way away.

IF I were a 49ers fan ( and IF he were actually willing to leave the Pats ), I might have preferred McDaniels. I would have thought BOTH of their coordinators would have been top choices for teams looking for HC’s. They’ve both been part of the most successful organization in the NFL for several years each. Why not try to tap into that?? Again, assuming either of those guys were looking to step up into HC positions.

Speaking of which, maybe Fitz should spend some time hanging out with Tom Brady. Hey, Tom is several years further down the road than Fitz is and I hear him talking about wanting to play for 5 more years! And it ain’t like Brady hasn’t taken his share of hits over the years. Sounds like the kind of guy we need rubbing off on Fitz right now!

PS – as long as Fitz doesn’t start wearing Uggs, that is.

18. By georgiebird on Jan 31, 2017 | Reply

McDonough seems to have a “not so good” name in the press. Read in a couple of places where the Cards would have been happy if McDonough had been given the SF job.

19. By JTDG on Jan 31, 2017 | Reply

Scott H and others,

Don’t sell Lynch short.

Some players understand what is needed to build a franchise from experiencing it from the ground up.

Also, John Elway, a player who didn’t work his way up through the ranks, has done a heck of a lot better than those front office guys who worked their way up for the cardinals.

Elway’s first pick – Von Miller. Keim’s first pick – Jonathan Cooper.
    Elway has taken the broncos to 2 super bowls and won one. Keim has none.

Being that Lynch and Elway are very good friends, I would imagine they discussed at length the ins and outs of the job.

The niners have 81 million in cap space in 2017 and another 17 million if they cut Kaepernick. You have a coach who made Kirk Cousins look great who might just revive Blaine Gabbert. or Colin Kaepernick

The hiring of John Lynch was not good news for the cardinals. The niners will be competitive in 2017.

20. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: “The niners will be competitive in 2017”

I’ll take that bet.

21. By clssylssy on Jan 31, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    Maybe if we could have kept Freeney around some of his passion might have rubbed off on a number of players as well as his value as an on-field coach. That was a GREAT interview he did Sunday night to kick off the SuperBowl festivities…too bad he was too old and washed up for the Cards, which is where he really wanted to be signed!
    I’ll be cheering for Dwight, who, like Fitz, is in a special class by himself. He was the “X factor” that our defense was missing this year.

22. By Scott H on Jan 31, 2017 | Reply

I’m hearing / seeing the comments that are being made about the Cardinals waiting on decisions from Fitz AND Palmer in regard to 2017 and…..man, it’s getting scary. Not that anyone who really knows anything for sure is saying anything, but….ugh. I’m not sure what is worse – hearing people talking about it or NOT hearing people talking about it.

Look, I have NO WAY of knowing how a body feels at 34 after just having played a full NFL season. BUT both of these guys – despite any pain / discomfort they were feeling along the way – are CLEARLY still capable of playing at top notch levels. And BOTH are players who would like to win a SB before they call it a career. One you walk away, you’ve closed that door forever.

As this team is currently built, the Cardinals ARE a legit SB contender in 2017 – IF they both play. That gives them both one more shot to get it done with a team that is as legit as any going into next season. They help each other achieve that ultimate goal by being here together.

I just….I just can’t believe they would rather walk away than take one more shot. I HAVE TO believe they will both return. But that’s only because I can’t even face the reality of the alternative.

Darren – please verify – didn’t Palmer come out and say right around the end of the season that he WAS planning on playing in 2017?? I could swear I thought he did.

One more question – and we KNOW you don’t know. I’m not asking you for a prediction, I’m asking what you believe. IF Palmer is IN for 2017, do you believe Fitz follows? I pretty much already believe that if Palmer walks away, Fitz is done as well. I think there is no way he plays in 2017 with anyone else at QB.

23. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Palmer

I’ve already said on various platforms I believe Fitz only plays if Palmer plays. I believed all along Palmer was going to play. I think Fitz likely joins him. And I’m not so arrogant to think I cannot be wrong. But that’s what I think.

24. By faster on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

lynch next season will be a puppet of mike shanahan.

that could go booth ways, but i don`t expect the 49ers to be a real obstacle for the superbowl. and if shanahan and lynch treats their players like he did with rg3, expect the same chaos in three years.

about fitzgerald, i`m a bit concerned between his ” i made my mind up” and arians ” they need cooling down from injuries”. let`s hope, another season of fitz would help us.

25. By clssylssy on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

The news that Carson Palmer has pulled his kids out of school and moved out of Arizona seems like a bad omen of things to come…

26. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Palmer

Is it news?

And second, Palmer’s permanent home was always just north of San Diego. He’s had it for a few years, and the family is there every offseason.

27. By Big Ken on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

I think Palmer plays just one more year. I believe the guy has been quietly vocal about the O-line. If by chance he would retire this year it’s because the O-line situation got somehow worse. And who cares were the guy and his family live?

28. By clssylssy on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren…
    The house isn’t a big deal. Many people have dual residences (I do, and so do a lot of my friends and family). However, most people don’t uproot their kids from school when there are only a few months left and move them out of state; that’s a bigger deal that most parents wouldn’t do for just the sake of taking a “break” (most kids would raise holy Hell at being taken away from their friends). I have always believed that a big reason Fitz has stayed in Arizona was because his kids are settled in school and he puts their happiness and well being above better career opportunities. (And, he also has dual residences and close family ties elsewhere) I know Carson has family in California, and sometimes being close to family becomes more important when you are in a position of having options.
    Just say’n…all things considered, including major changes in the offensive coaching staff, things are not exactly looking bright!

29. By Scott H on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Lynch / Elway

Respectfully, I submit that the success that the Broncos have had during Elway’s time was due in VERY large part to Peyton Manning being available and still having something left in the tank. If they don’t luck into having Manning for those 3 seasons….I don’t think it happens. It wasn’t gonna happen with Tim Tebow, that is for sure. Yes, I would agree that the SB they won last year was more on the shoulders of the defense than it was on the shoulders of Manning. But that defense was pretty much still there in 2016 but with Manning gone, it just wasn’t there. Not the same team.

Not saying Lynch can’t do a good job there. But I’d have to see it before I would believe it.

30. By Scott H on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks for the clarity. I know you have no crystal ball. But I find your words comforting just the same. 🙂

The recent stories that have included Fitz AND Palmer and basically having them in the same boat of un-sure about playing beyond 2016 kinda took me by surprise because I WAS feeling pretty sure that Palmer was gonna play in 2017.

For what it’s worth, my gut is feeling like Fitz is not gonna walk away if Palmer is in for 2017. I can’t see him doing that if the team is going to go into 2017 as a legit contender.

31. By clssylssy on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG…
    Elway and Lynch are not comparable. Elway is a successful business man in Denver, owning and operating major car dealership(s) and has proven business knowledge/accomplishments aside from football. Lynch has ???, a pretty face, playing time in the NFL and broadcasting? I do like that he has actual hands on experience as a player, but, nonetheless, I have a feeling Kyle will have his daddy in his ear as a “silent partner” more than he’ll be actually allowing Lynch to do the job of a GM.
    I actually feel bad for 9er fans as Karma seems to have finally caught up with them!

32. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

We are going to find out if Dysert, Stanton or that #1 pick can play? That is the best bet on facts known. Classylady has it right, moving kids is key tell. Not certain, but best known fact.

33. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

DTL —

RE: “Best known fact”

Except it’s not a fact: https://twitter.com/CardsMarkD/status/826821517719773184

34. By Hammy on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Fitzgerald looks so happy on the golf course. I would say that he announces his retirement after the Super Bowl. A la ” Tim Duncan” style!

35. By clssylssy on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Hammy…
    I quite agree, Fitz looks happier than we’ve seen him since…we beat Green Bay and went to the NFC Championship game. Every time I see him on the golf course he looks like he loves what he is doing, is relaxed, happy and years younger…and,I remember an interview with Patrick Peterson in which he said he wanted to become a pro golfer after his football career ended. I see that in Fitz now too. Golf is a great game that keeps you competing against yourself (if Fitz’s case VERY high standard) without being cast in a dependent role where your success is hingent upon the whims of others.
    Yep, I think you’re right on the money!

36. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

I’ll make that bet ! But first, we would have to define competitive to be on the same page.

I will say they will win 6 games and lose 6 of the other 8 by less than a TD. That is a pretty nice jump from where they are now.

37. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: 49ers

They lost five of their games by seven or less this season. So I’m not sure that’s a good barometer.

38. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Manning ;

Except this last superbowl win, Manning was the worse rated QB in football.

It was won by the defense that Elway put together. So, there is that……

39. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

clssylssy,

Just because someone hasn’t done the job before doesn’t mean he can’t do it.

First, he is a HOF player soon. He played 15 seasons, has a super bowl victory, 9 pro bowl seasons. He was always labeled as the team leader and very smart.

So what is the issue? Did he not break down film for 15 years? I think he knows how to look at film and see if the guy can play or not.
    Was he not part of a horrible team that was built by Dudgy into a superbowl winner? So he has seen how a bad team can be built to be good.

I think owners need to branch out instead of these tired old retreads that keep coming up through organizations. Get a new perspective. Give Lynch a chance.

It will be interesting to see who Shannahan picks as his DC. I hope he goes outside the box and takes a guy like Pepper Johnson, who, with the personnel of the niners, will use different fronts like NE.

Deforest Buckner was a stud as a rookie, you have Bowman coming back, Two good safeties. and a 100 million dollars in cap space to find missing pieces.

I, for one, believe Lynch turns this team around.

40. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

What is your definition

41. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Competitive

When you first wrote it, what popped into my mind was .500.

This is the NFL. Even bad teams are often, by the general definition, competitive. I’ve always held that when an NFL team is losing consistently by blowouts, it’s because the players have packed it in.

42. By Big Ken on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

RE: ‘that bet’ -Can I double down?

43. By Scott H on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Manning

I didn’t follow your last reply. For the 3 seasons that Manning was there, he was the worst rated QB in the NFL?? Please clarify.

I openly acknowledged that the 2015 Broncos won their SB PRIMARILY on the strength of their defense. But don’t under-estimate what Manning’s presence and leadership meant to them as well. He was far from being at his statistical best, but….

Overall, I think Elway doesn’t go to two SB’s in 3 seasons without Manning.

I disagree with the statement that ELWAY took the Broncos to 2 SB’s in 3 seasons. No GM is taking a team to 2 SB’s in 3 seasons without the right QB. Manning was the right QB for that team. Just as Warner ALMOST was for the Cardinals.

44. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

The Niners went 2-14 last year while only beating the lowly rams.

In the 14 losses, the average margin of their point difference was 14 points with 9 games they lost by more than 2 TDs (12 points).

That is not competitive at all.

I would say 6 wins and 6 of their 10 losses being less than 7 points would be a huge turn around.

45. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

The GM is the driving force behind a team. He has to get the right coaches and players to get his team to the superbowl. Elway did that.

Yes, signing Manning was the crowning jewel. Manning was a big part of it for a couple of years.

But Manning in 2015 was the worst rated QB. He threw 9 TDs to 17 INTS. He was a problem, not a solution.

In the superbowl, he went 13 for 23 for 141 yards and no TDs and 1 int while being sacked 5 times.

But still, if you want to give Manning credit, Elway was the one who brought him in.

But, That superbowl was won by their defense.

Elway drafted – Malik Jackson, Derek Wolfe, and Syvester Williams (their front 3), drafted Von Miller, LB Danny Trevathan, CB Chris Harris, LB Shane Ray

While signing – Demarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, TJ Ward and Darion Stewart and LB Brandon Marshall.

Every defensive player was brought in by Elway including Wade Phillips who lead them.

All done by a HOF player who didn’t work his way up the ranks.

PS, nice move letting Osweiter go too. Then trading up to get Paxton Lynch, while having Trevor Siemien in place (yes, he drafted him too).

46. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Elway

You say he made a “nice move” by letting Osweiler go. But if BO had accepted $30M gtd and $16M a year, Broncos would’ve signed him and probably not drafted Lynch. Only because Texans outbid did Broncos not keep him. I agree Elway did a nice job after figuring things out, but again, that was no move. That was the Texans money-whipping. BO wouldn’t have been worth what Broncos were about to give him either.

47. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Big Ken,

Which way?

48. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the draft plays out like this;

The Browns trade or select Mitch Trubisky, leaving the Niners with the 2nd pick, a stud OLB from Texas A&M.
    John Lynch takes Myles Garrett as his first ever draft pick.

Hmmm, seems like I remember John Elway taking over the Broncos and the Panthers chose Cam Newton number 1 and the Broncos, with the 2nd overall pick decided on an OLB from Texas A&M, named Von Miller as his first ever draft pick

Interesting….

49. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

I’ll give you that (BO) but no panic in Elway. He looked at his roster and came up with a plan.

Lynch was always a project, so we will see, but funny if Trevor Siemian plays in 2017 well enough , you could see him as one of those QBs being traded in 2018 to a QB needy team (cardinals???) 🙂

50. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Elway/question

You’re right. He came up with a plan. Why is it that you never credit Keim with the same? I’ll give you the Broncos won a SB, but Elway’s plan came up short of the playoffs this year, just like Keim. Again, I have zero issues with Keim criticism in the draft, but the way you talk about him, it’s like the Cardinals have won five games each of his seasons as GM.

As for Siemian, he’s one of those guys that is a great story and was OK in part because his bar was set so low. Does he really have a ceiling that says to you, long-term answer? Obviously the Broncos don’t think so otherwise they wouldn’t have chased Lynch so hard.

51. By JohnnyBluenose on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Obviously Jed York does not read this blog otherwise JTDG and Scott H would have been interviewed.

52. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Fair question;

But first Siemien – Oh, I don’t think he has a future as a starter. I was saying, can Elway pull a Billichek or Andy Reed and make someone give up a draft choice because they are desperate. More tongue in check.

First, on Keim. Winning games is not what the league is about. No one gives you a trophy for winning 10-11 or even 13 games. The only thing that matters is winning the superbowl. Everyone else failed that season. Just ask Brady after the superbowl if they lose.

I think Elway gets that. I am not sure Keim does.

Here is my issue of Keim vs Elway. Elway moves when he sees a problem, Keim (at least to me) just hopes the situation will be OK.

Examples; (without getting into the weeds too deep)

Elway in 2013, was on the verge of a superbowl if he played his cards right. He signed Talib to go with Harris, He brought in Ware. In the drafts, he added 2 key players in Syvester Williams and Bradly Roby in round 1

They lose the 2014 superbowl, as they were out muscled by Seattle. He brought in Wade Phillips and traded up for Shane Ray. He added players to get over the top. There were no weak links, especially on defense.

It was so obvious that in 2016, the cardinals were poised to win it all. Keim’s trade for Chandler Jones was a huge move. But then he blew it.

Unlike Elway, who would have signed a stud CB and drafted another in round one (ie see broncos in 2014) , maybe even moving up like he did in 2015 to land Shane Ray, Keim hoped a guy like Bethel (who was bad in 2015), a journeyman 2008 1st rounder who never lived up to it, and a 3rd round pick, who had one year of CB under his belt in college, could take on the task of playing opposite Peterson (which is hard enough for a pro bowler ! ) Then he used a safety in journeyman Branch to play the slot.

Without going into the other issues, how does a professional GM make that move? It was horrible.

Maybe I am too hard on Keim. But you also have to acknowledge I give him credit when due. I praised him for DJ and CJ moves. His trade for Jones was something I didn’t think he would do. Trading for Palmer and bringing in BA were great moves.

I just can’t get over certain issues. How do you study tape all day long and make that decision?

Keim has been here 4 years coming up on year 5. Is he going to make the moves to get the cards to win the superbowl? Will he settle on these CBs or will he bring in someone. Will he find a Vet to help out if Campbell leaves or will he hope the young DL step up. Will he find the players to protect Palmer and give him weapons, or will he stick with the status quo?

Honestly, I hope he puts together a great offseason and whether the cards win it all or not, he did everything possible to put the best players on the field. Whether it is perception or not, I don’t feel he did that in 2016.

53. By clssylssy on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG….
    You said, “I think owners need to branch out instead of these tired old retreads that keep coming up through organizations”…and I couldn’t agree with you more. However, that is not to say that sound experience in business isn’t necessary and being skilled in sales, marketing, and making deals is absolutely essential to being a top GM. Since a big part of the GM’s job these days has to do with managing the Cap and structuring smart contracts, watching tape and scouting talent are but a small part of the job; some background in contract law can come in handy, but recruiting is alot about sales.
    I love the idea of having more explayers moving into front office roles but I also believe there is a process for learning the many aspects of the position. Adrian Wilson has been interning in our front office, is a business man, and is a former ProBowler who I could see becoming a good GM someday because he has had the opportunity to learn the position in a real day-to-day situation, being exposed to the many nuances that are important to the job.
    I’m not saying Lynch won’t be able to be a GM in San Francisco,(anybody can be a cardboard cutout) just that he seems light in the qualifications and that to expect anyone with zero management experience to step into a GM position for a billion dollar organization sounds…reckless??? I do agree he has a valuable perspective that will be an asset but question if GM is the proper job for him and that he might be better suited to something like Director of Player Personnel (stepping stone away from being the GM) to begin with.
    I’m not a big fan of the Shannihans and don’t really care if the 9ers are doomed to be cellar dwellers.

54. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

RE: Fitz looking happy on the golf course

Folks, can we keep it real here? Doesn’t EVERYONE look happier when they’re on the golf course??? C’mon, now…..anyone who’s reading this, go to a golf course right now and I guarantee you will look happier there than you did doing whatever you were doing BEFORE you got there.

Fitz can get his golf on and still keep playing football. One doesn’t prevent the other.

55. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Elway

Look, maybe we’re beating this to death to an un-necessary degree. I acknowledge all that Elway did as GM and the role of their defense in winning the SB last year. Not disputing any of it. But with all that Elway did, he / they still needed Manning to get it done. You could not have put ANY QB under center for the Broncos that day and been assured they were gonna win that game. Even Kurt Warner on something less then his best day was a better QB than Matt Leinart was. Again, no team is getting to 2 SB’s in 3 seasons without a QB.

Heck, if Manning lands HERE instead, maybe WE’RE looking back on 2 SB’s in 3 years. Our defense was pretty damn good, too!

Anyway, it’s all in the books at this point and it’s the Broncos, not the Cardinals, so let’s move on – to a 2017 season which WILL include Larry Fitzgerald!!!

56. By clssylssy on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

Darren…
    I find it curious that your definition of a team being competitive is .500. Guess that makes the Cards, what? I have to wonder what the argument is for us being a legitimate SB contender in 2017, when we weren’t even “competitive” this season (by your standards) and we had one of the most talented roster in the NFL? Sounds like the issue wasn’t talent but rather lies higher up the food chain in coaching and management.
    Having a player like DJ is certainly a positive but he will be coming back from a knee injury, as will Tyrann (again), so there may be an adjustment period as we have seen in the past, even with our young stars.
    If we at at least had been “competitive” last season, I could understand the optimism, but it just doesn’t seem the Cards have their house in order with a definitive plan.

57. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

JohhnyBlueNose –

Wow, I must say I am flattered to have been mentioned in a way that puts me in the same league as JTDG – which I clearly am not. He operates on a whole different level.

And you’re no slouch, yourself! 🙂