• There are no Events to display in this category.

QB, if Palmer were to retire

Posted by Darren Urban on February 1, 2017 – 10:03 am

Let me start this post by saying I have all along believed Carson Palmer would play in 2017, regardless of what Larry Fitzgerald ultimately chose. (Wednesday, Palmer cleared up the idea his house in Arizona was for sale — it isn’t.) I will admit I am a little surprised that Palmer’s situation remains up in the air as it apparently is, but I still think he will play. But … if he doesn’t:

It would kind of feel a little bit like the offseason of 2013, right when Steve Keim and Bruce Arians were hired into their current spots. The Cards were going to move on from Kevin Kolb and John Skelton. They signed Drew Stanton, who was ostensibly going to be the starter (and then the Cards would draft a QB), until Palmer came along in the big trade with the Raiders.

If Palmer were to retire now, Stanton again would ostensibly be the starter. The Cardinals likely would go into the draft looking to pick a QB. But there would be a good chance Keim would look into the trade/free-agent market hard. (Mike Glennon, maybe?) In some ways, perhaps the situation would parallel even more that 2010 season right after Kurt Warner retired. You’d have the remaining veteran — Stanton playing the role of Matt Leinart — and the possibility of adding another veteran (in 2010, it was Derek Anderson). Zac Dysert is still around, but there’d likely be a rookie. In 2010, that was Skelton and Max Hall, both of whom ended up with roster spots ahead of Leinart (who by then had worn out his welcome with then-coach Ken Whisenhunt.)

Again, I think Palmer will play and the Cardinals will remain stable for another season. But as Bruce Arians said, the team is prepared for either contingency.

— Quick note for all those wondering where Stump Mitchell was going. He has reunited with Todd Bowles after taking the Jets’ vacant running backs coach job Tuesday.

bacarson

Tags: ,

44 Responses to “QB, if Palmer were to retire”

1. By Joh Hector on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Gosh, thanks to Mike and Mike falsely reporting that Carson put his house up for sale….almost had a heart attack…….Carson has another good couple of years…we need him and Larry to come back…next year is our year!!!

2. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    Since it’s closer to Draft if u remember me asking u if the Cardinals we’re looking at Watson From CLEMSON do u think the Cardinals would trade up in the draft . I like the guy Drew Stanton but he is not starting stuff. My Freinds wife’s hisband is drew stanton he is a nice guy but I really think Watson would be better if the Cardinals have Watson they will have running QB who can also pass like Cam Newton. So there ofence would be more even so with Watson they will pass the ball run the ball with the QB and RB so there are so many options with him. So do u think the Cardinals will trade up in Draft for him?

3. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: Trade up

Depends on how far up they’d have to go, and what grade they’d put on him. Cards haven’t even started draft meetings.

4. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

And yes I would love to have Larry back I don’t really care about Palmer he is old for a QB he gets injured to easy.

5. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    If the Cardinals get Watson from Clemson and Palmer retired who would be starting QB

6. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: QB

Stanton.

7. By Christo on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Why is Amos still employed?

This is mind bending, and numbing. It’s like Butler ALL over again.

8. By Andy Kw on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

There is upside in Mitch Trubisky but he has too many red flags. For starters, he was the starter at UNC for only 1 season.
    Deshaun Watson could just be the product of the system. Clemson is known for producing QBs with incredible college stats. His big number of INTs is bad.
    Deshone Kizer struggled this past season as starter but he has all of the traits AZ wants in a QB. But is he worth the #13 overall pick?
    The more I watch Mahomes, the more I don’t like him. Yes he has the size & has probably the strongest arm in the draft but makes poor choices when pressured.
    Brad Kaaya has decent arm strength but has a very lean frame, making him more susceptible to injury in the Pros. He is worth a 3rd pick but no more than that.
    There is so much hype on Nathan Peterman when there shouldn’t be. Some people are saying Peterman did well in the senior bowl. I disagree, he struggled with the deep ball and relies on those short dinky passes without making all of his reads.
    Joshua Dobbs displayed good poise in the pocket but didn’t see him throw the ball down field much.
    Davis Webb was the senior bowl MVP & for good reasons too. He has good size, strictly a pocket QB due to his lack of speed, powerful arm with the deep TD pass.
    CJ Beathard displayed poor pocket awareness and inability to move the ball at the senior bowl.

9. By D on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Why would Stump move from lower tax Sunny AZ with a Top 3 RB in the NFL for depressing high cost of living NJ with Mr. Bowles, who I like, but could be gone in 1 year?

If it isn’t this offseason with Larry and Palmer, it will be next offseason with Larry, Palmer and most likely BA. Mr. Keim may not be getting much sleep going forward with all of that on his plate.. especially after they evaluate QB’s in the draft and in free agency.

Life without Palmer in 2017:

Stanton
    Dysert

and…

Romo–No, to much $ and too brittle
    Cousins–No, too much $
    Fitzpatrick, G. Smith, Foles, Barkley, Mallett….all, keep walking…

Trade for Garoppolo, a 1st and 3rd RD Draft pick….then give an unproven QB big money….(been down that road before with Kolb)

Trade for AJ McCarron…maybe depending on what the pick would be to give up…

M. Glennon…appears to be the guy…

and could also draft a 4-5th round QB this year to compete with Dysert…
    (unless one of the top 3 in this year’s draft drop to 13)

For Keim and the fans, would like to know soon and have Palmer back for all the above reasons for 2017 not to mention resigning C.Campbell, Jefferson, Gresham…if the $ isn’t top dollar, why would they come back for a rebuild project…

I think they will get the band back together for one more run…just like Jake and Elwood.

10. By dkerry5242 on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

If Glennon was so good why didn’t he start for Bucs?

11. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

dkerry —

RE: Glennon

First, I didn’t say he was that good. Neither was Derek Anderson. But you’ll need a vet.

Second, Jameis Winston came along.

12. By kauaicardsfan on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Aloha Darren
    Was Stump unhappy here? He left basically doing the same position he was doing here? DJ had a great year so its not like there was a problem in that area?
    Do you have any inside thoughts?
    Mahalo as always!

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Mitchell

I do not know. Coaches were gone for a month. I did not see Stump until the news came out.

14. By Wild Blue Yonder on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Keim is at fault for not having drafted a QB earlier and having him ready to take over.

15. By Scott H on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Yes, a Palmer retirement WILL have the same feel as 2009 going into 2010 did – our SB QB going out the door and taking our SB hopes with him. Granted, I think Stanton offers more than Leinart or Derek Anderson did, but…..doesn’t matter. The Cardinals are not a SB contender with Drew Stanton ( and without Larry Fitzgerald, who is also out the door if Palmer goes ).

In other words, it will really suck.

Watching Warner go – and knowing what it meant – was among the worst things I have experienced as a Cardinals fan. I swear, I can’t go through that again. Not RIGHT NOW, anyway. Look, as far as Palmer and Fitz go, the end is near and we all know that. Even if they play in 2017, that is probably the end. But at least at that point, they will have taken that last shot that it feels like they HAVE TO take. And maybe at that point, I’ll STILL be saying they should keep playing, they’re still among the best in the game, etc. But I can – and will – let it go at that point. Maybe.

But RIGHT NOW, I’m not ready. I’ll never REALLY be ready to be without Fitz. But I’m definitely not ready to see another QB that I believe can lead us to a SB walk away with that in his pocket.

When Warner walked away, there was no hope and we all knew it. It was back to the dark ages of Cardinals fandom. I ain’t ready to be hopeless again. I’m just not.

16. By Richard S on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

From what I read it sounded a lot like Stump had something to do with really pushing for David Johnson’s being drafted. A shame for an eye for talent going elsewhere. I sure enjoyed Stump’s playing days.

17. By Andy Kw on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

I want Carson Palmer back. Those that disagree are crazy. I can PROMISE you all. We will be in the Super Bowl 52

18. By Wild Blue Yonder on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Oh, my bad.
    Keim did draft a QB: Logan Thomas. Nuff said.

19. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Watching Warner leave was pretty bad but worst moment for me? That stinking drive by Big Ben in the superbowl

Remember the steelers had a holding call and was like 3rd and 17 and converted. Then Aaron Francisco slips on a pass and they run that thing inside the 10 and then the toe tap in the end zone.

Those 2 mins have to be the worst moments as a card fan, but losing Fitz and Palmer in 2017 (i am sure they both come back), would be right up there.

20. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG-
    The worst moments as a cardinals fan is when your whole family is a mix of steelers and panthers and dolphins fans that’s sad I’m only cardinal fan even worse I live in the Carolinas so I get bashed for wearing a Cardinals jersey. Not to say there are more Seahawks fans in the Carolinas than cardinal and my brother has all amo to fire at me because the panthers have beat the cardinals like 3 times in the world

21. By mal on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren-

Yeah, the Fitz / Palmer retirement thing is sort of a big deal, but the really important thing is for you to talk Andrea into coming back another year.

22. By Cody Zarr on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

There’s lots of salt in the comments on this article…

Palmer will be back. A guy that competitive isn’t going to throw in the towel after a season like that unless his body truly can’t recover. He has shown that he can recover however, and I’m sure he will be back.

Even if he were to retire, Glennon is not an awful option. I think a lot of people forget that he was viewed as a future franchise QB in 2013. He has the arm talent for this particular vertical offense and what we saw of him when he was completely raw in ’13 and ’14 wasn’t off putting in my opinion. He had a respectable TD to INT ratio and his QBR was nearly identical to Winston’s rookie year. All this while playing behind one of the worst lines in the NFL.

Although, there is the fact that he looks like a giant ginger light bulb.

23. By Kevin S Mesa on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

No to Glennon.

If he was a franchise QB, Tampa Bay would’ve taken the huge offer Philly was making to Tennessee (to get Mariota)… and not drafted Winston. Philly would obviously have made at least the same offer to TB as they were to TN since TB actually had the higher pick (#1 vs #2).

Glennon hasn’t been bad when he’s played, but he hasn’t been very good either (QB rating overall of 84.6 with more than a full season’s worth of games spread across 3 seasons). That would’ve tied him with Trevor Siemian this year.

I’m not saying Glennon will turn out like Kolb, but if we get him, I’ll bet we’re all clamoring for another QB in a year or two.

24. By joe holst on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

They passed on Derek Carr for Deone Buchanon which appears to b a terrible mistake

25. By georgiebird on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

Palmer may play another year but the best the Cards can do with Palmer (and Fitz) is 9-7 or 10-6. This Cards’ offensive line will never be good enough to protect Palmer against the defenses of good teams. And the defense has its shortcomings.
    I’m for keeping Palmer one more year because that’s my best chance for a reasonably enjoyable 2017 season- but probably short of the playoffs.
    However, if the Cards had a young QB with a high ceiling, I would be 100% for Carson (and probably Larry) retiring and closing the window on a mostly enjoyable four year period.

26. By georgiebird on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

I feel Larry and Carson will make a deal to try one more season with the Cards.
    However, should Carson retire, I think the Cards would be wise to get Larry traded to a strong SB contender and get him his ring.
    Larry is a HOF player with some of the greatest playoff games of any receiver in history.
    But if Roy Green could be traded to the Cleveland Browns then Larry could spend a season or so elsewhere. And Roy is now back in the Cards fold and in the ROH.
    And as great as Larry is- he has never done 1555/yds in a season and 19.9 ypc. And Larry has never been called the best player in football as both Bill Parcells and John Madden have both said about Roy during the mid 80’s.
    So Cards’ fans have to let go the unthinkable in Larry being traded- it’s been done before-

27. By CardsNation on Feb 1, 2017 | Reply

I’m glad Larry is returning, so Palmer should return as well. If not, rookies QB won’t get us to the SB, here is some emergency QBs options, they are really decent TBH

1. Aj Mccarron– Talented, competitive, very accurate, aggressive, fit Arian’s offense pretty well.

2. Jimmy Garoppolo– Lead the Patriots to 3-0 record before he got injured this year. He has the size, but Bill Belichick makes any QBs look great, so… We only see him in few games, it’s too early to say he is a franchise QB. I don’t want the same result as the Texans.

3. Tony Romo– Similar to Carson Palmer, a leader, will be a great fit, someone who BA likes

4. Nick Foles– Tall. Had great years with Eagles before he got screwed over by Chip Kelly. I do think he got more years left

5. Mike Glennon–Really talented, but no place to show.

6. EJ Manuel– Bust or just unlucky with the Bills?

QBs options are not good in the draft, I won’t take Kizer since I’m sure he will be a bust, trade a QB like what Vikings did earlier this season. What are your opinions on these QBs????

28. By mitchaz on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

My own feeling is that Carson Palmer does not fit BA’s system as it has been constructed, primarily because he is not a good QB in zero backfields. He does not and cannot make quick enough reads and, because he is statuesque in the pocket, he’s often a sitting duck. The pressure frequently causes him to play hot potato and throw ill-advised passes into the overcrowded hash areas, which are his two blind spots.

Secondly, he is no longer a good deep ball passer—he consistently under throws or overthrows the deep balls.

Curiously, BA, who has subtly been making some “mea culpa” statements in recent days, such as “I should have made training camp more physical”, has conceded that he needs to do a better job of protecting Palmer and that Palmer has too often taken unnecessary beatings.

Therefore, either the system needs to change or the QB.

Ironically, the QB who has played the longest in BA’s system, Drew Stanton, is worse than Palmer at running it.

If BA ever got a quick trigger, escape artist QB, his offense could be unstoppable.

Now—if BA is sincere about lessening Palmer’s beatings—and if Palmer decides to return—it may be fascinating to see if BA can alter the offense in order to cater it to Palmer’s strengths. When Palmer is given the time, he is a very good passer on routes over the linebackers and under the safeties. Palmer still throws the deep “frozen rope” out pass as well as any QB in the NFL. Palmer is also excellent off play-action, made even more accessible now by the emergence of RB David Johnson. Palmer is brilliant at throwing downfield strikes on the deep crossing patterns, when given adequate time.

The two areas Palmer needs to improve are his short and deep passes—and with added protection—those areas could improve—that, and realizing that with the Cardinals’ talent on offense there are much stronger red zone options than forcing the ball to John Brown on fades or timed pylon passes. Brown’s strength has been in catching skinny posts in the red zone, or taking a hitch screen to the house.

If BA doesn’t really want to change his offense, the QB who seems best suited to run it, imo, is Jimmy Garopollo. Even watching his college tapes, he has always had a sixth sense of timing and a quick trigger. Plus, he has a good sense of feeling pressure and when to use his feet to buy time or to escape it. Garopollo knows how to outfox defenses.

29. By clssylssy on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

I see Fitz is coming back but find it a little odd that he would announce his decision in such a way (via Jim Trotter on Twitter from the Waste Management Open) rather than through the Official Organization. This entire media circus around Carson and Fitz seems VERY measured and a little sketchy, rather manipulative…and VERY much not Fitz. Now if Carson doesn’t come back, I guess Larry’s stuck doing just what he said he didn’t want to do, breaking in another QB!

30. By Cardinal's Chick on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

Yes!!!! I knew Fitzgerald was not going to retire yet. But I do believe next season will be his last. Hopefully it will be THE year that we finally get a SB.

Jacob Hewitt – I feel your pain. I am in Georgia. As much as I look forward to seeing them play when they come to Atlanta, I get a lot of grief when I am wearing one of my jerseys.

Speaking of jerseys…I have a Wilson and a Tillman…think it is time to pick up a Fitz.

31. By shannon robinson on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

JTDG – The guy calling the plays on that drive is our Head Coach so I guess it turned out AOK now.

32. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

FITZ IS PLAYING IN 2017!!!!!!

HALLE-FRIGGIN-LUJIAH!!!!

Oh, man, you don’t even know how happy I am and what a load off my mind that is.

Let’s go get it!

33. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

Well, I didn’t say Warner walking away after 2009 was THE worst moment ever for me, but…..yeah, it ranks way up there. Yes, along with the end of SB 43. But, man, you GOTTA give credit to Big Ben and Santonio Holmes for that play. I’m sorry our defense ever let it get to that point, but….man, what a catch that was. Despite it all, I’ve been nothing but proud of the game our team played that day.

Other worst moments would include the infamous Monday Night loss to the Bears.

The 2015 NFC title game.

The entire decade of the 1980’s.

Most of the 1990’s.

34. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

Card’s Chick –

Girl, you don’t have a Fitz jersey yet???? How is that even possible???? I say celebrate today’s news by getting that order in today. I have Fitz jerseys in red, white, and black. Hoping to add another with next year’s SB patch on it.

But I applaud your having Wilson and Tillman. I just got Tillman’s, myself.

35. By JTDG on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

Fitz is back, which means only one thing, Palmer is back.

So, with these two coming back, it’s time to put the money and resources into winning it all in 2017.

36. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

Let’s see 2017 start with Fitz winning NFL’s Man of the Year Award at the front end and hoisting a Lombardi Trophy at the other end!

37. By JTDG on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

Shannon,

Yep, BA doubled up on the play in the endzone. He went the other way the first play, then came back to the right on 2nd down with the exact same play for the toe tap TD.

So, with BA killing us in the super bowl and then breaking our hearts in Carolina, Is BA friend or foe ?? 🙂

Give us a superbowl in 2017 and he will be in the ring of honor.

38. By JTDG on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Yes, there have been many many many bad moments as a card fan.

I say the SB was the worst, because, as bad as it gets, you always had a superbowl to point at. If the Falcons win Sunday, all is good for a long time.

39. By JTDG on Feb 2, 2017 | Reply

For Falcon fans.

In case that wasn’t clear

40. By clssylssy on Feb 4, 2017 | Reply

Now that it seems Palmer and Fitz will be back for one last attempt, I wonder how much they will be involved in finding Palmer’s replacement. I really don’t see much in this year’s draft within our reach and I can foresee Arians retiring in another year or so, and don’t see him having the time or energy to mold our QB of the future right out of the college ranks. Given our considerable budgetary restrictions, I also don’t see us being as competitive as other teams like the 9ers for the existing talent like Jimmy G, plus I could see the attraction for young players choosing our competitors (the lure of money and playing for a young coach, leading a young team). I remember our panic driven signing of Kevin Kolb and shudder at the thought that we are traveling a familiar road with our back against the wall once again; obviously, from reading your article, you recognize the road! BA said they had a plan if Palmer and Fitz didn’t come back and I’m hoping Stanton isn’t their plan B (even though I like Stanton and think he’s done a good job as a backup), although it sounds like that was it. Remembering how slow Michael Bidwill was to move on signing a HC, I’m getting that old familiar feeling that we are once again bumbling along in fantasy land. I could see Keim signing someone like Glennon or even Tyrod Taylor knowing that a new coach will likely want to pick his own QB.

41. By Craig on Feb 4, 2017 | Reply

Question Darren,
    Do you know what happened to the kid (Simms, I think) that impressed in camp, had bad eyes, got cut, got his eyes fixed, then never heard from again.

42. By Darren Urban on Feb 5, 2017 | Reply

Craig —

RE: Sims

Judging by his Twitter feed, he’s helping coach kids and I figure he’s still trying to see if he can find a football playing spot.

2. Feb 2, 2017: Arizona Cardinals get their answer on Fitz, Palmer on vacation and more FEATURED BLOG POST | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog
  3. Feb 2, 2017: Glennon Missing, And A New Glennon Rumbling - JoeBucsFan.com - Tampa Bay Bucs Blog, Buccaneers News