Cards on top 101 list, but no Peterson

Posted by Darren Urban on February 8, 2017 – 1:37 pm

Is Patrick Peterson among the top 101 players from this past season?

One list — from Pro Football Focus — does not have the Cardinals cornerback on it. PFF ranks players based on grades they gave out for that season’s work. There are five Cardinals from 2016 on the list. Running back David Johnson (the guy who PFF called the best receiver in the NFL) is No. 23. Defensive lineman Calais Campbell is No. 24. Edge rusher Chandler Jones is No. 62. Safety Tony Jefferson is No. 84, and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is No. 89.

So no Peterson.

It’s not a huge surprise. PFF even talked about Peterson’s absence from an earlier all-pro team. The other five were deserving. Johnson was high on everyone’s list this season, and PFF had multiple times praised the seasons of Campbell and Jefferson. Jones proved to be a valuable acquisition and Fitz was, well, Fitz. In Peterson’s case, it was in part because of a good season by other cornerbacks (and, as my cohort Kyle Odegard points out, PFF grading doesn’t seem to take into account a lack of targets because teams throw away from a certain DB, or for the quality of receiver being covered.)

From PFF: “Peterson has been good this year, but he has allowed as many touchdowns (three) as he has interceptions, and allowed 60.6 percent of the passes thrown his way to be caught, a career high. When targeted he allowed a passer rating of 80.7, which wasn’t bad, but ranks 30th in the league and not in the same ballpark as players like Aqib Talib, who led the NFL at 47.0.”

Peterson had a response. “So does that mean these ‘experts’ will be releasing a Top 100 ‘Not Targeted’ List? Nope.” Peterson wrote in a tweet.

The other thing I see from the five Cards here — three are unrestricted free agents. All those guys are talented, but the contract year is real too.

petersonirritated

Tags: , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Cards on top 101 list, but no Peterson”

1. By JTDG on Feb 8, 2017 | Reply

It has got to be boring at times to be Peterson. Out covering a guy who won’t see the ball. I bet half the receptions he gave up were a surprise, thinking the ball was going elsewhere.

That is why I would love to see the cards get a front line CB in FA. I would love to see a CB who can shut down the teams second receiver. With a healthy Badger in the slot, maybe QBs will be forced to go Peterson’s way.

Then…….. look out and get ready for some dancing in the end zone by #21.

2. By D on Feb 8, 2017 | Reply

Filler time…ugh Darren?

JTDG- I could see AZ resigning M. Cooper in Free agency, but a “front line CB” signing costs high dollars…which most likely would mean No resigning of C. Campbell because we know C. Jones will be a big Cap hit in 2017.

With this draft so deep with CB talent and the fact AZ has (PP/Mathieu) being paid huge $ and most likely, one of (Jefferson/ Swearinger) soon to be paid substantially, I don’t see Mr. Keim spending big dollars at the other CB spot in free agency.

In order to have a chance to go far into the playoffs in 2017, this team will need a healthy C. Palmer. He took a beating last year, they should prioritize their Free Agency money (excluding own players) to helping the Oline, more attention to the Right Guard spot.

Free Agent G options:

K. Zeitler 26 yrs old–Best of the group. With the Cap Space of Cincy, doubtful he’ll leave there.

R. Leary 27 yrs old. After being part of the Cowboys OL, he’ll command and most likely get a very rich deal, more than AZ could afford.

L. Warfod 25 yrs old. My player to chase and sign. Detroit has OT issues / players to address first, Larry will make it to the open market.

C. Warmack 25 yrs old. Highly drafted out of ALA, has not lived up to the billing yet, maybe just needs a change of scenery. Would be an upgrade for AZ from last years play at RG.

H. Thorton 25 yrs old. I don’t have much on this guy, but assuming BA could get all the information he would need if interested.

L. Joeckel 25 yrs old. Highly drafted, didn’t make it at OT, has moved to G, does have the ability to play more than one position and shouldn’t break the bank.

Then you have the older players like TJ Lang and others in which I doubt Mr. Keim would want.

3. By Eric G on Feb 8, 2017 | Reply

Exactly right PP. He was constantly ranked #1 CB throughout the season. Yeah he doesn’t have numbers, but that’s because the other receivers were wide open because of the terrible CBs on the other side. Thus, he was rarely thrown at. Unfair comparison.

4. By JTDG on Feb 8, 2017 | Reply

D,

If I had to choose between Stephon Gilmore and Calais Campbell, regretfully, I would take Gilmore. Younger and solves a huge need.

The cards drafted Gunter and Nkemdichi and signed Mauro and Peters. Guys need to step up. IMaybe get a rotational guy to come in FA.

I want Campbell but if it came down to either / or, I go CB.

5. By georgiebird on Feb 8, 2017 | Reply

I agree with the PFF assessment on PP. All things considered , PP is a real good player but not a star.
    It would have helped PP if the Cards had a sizeable lead during games instead of being in a lot of close games or playing from behind.
    Much like DRC, PP is a gambling type player not a disciplined player. Put the Cards ahead by a TD+ and you’ll see PP excel playing with a cushion.

6. By CardsNation on Feb 8, 2017 | Reply

He was ranked the top 5 CBs all year long, wow. Hate to talk to people with no knowledge of football.

7. By CardsNation on Feb 8, 2017 | Reply

Just heard the packers released Sam Shields and the Eagles released Leodis McKelvin. I think we should pick Sam Shields up for a try out.

8. By JTDG on Feb 9, 2017 | Reply

cardsnation,

Shields suffers from concussions. I think I read he has had 7 total and 2 in the last 8 months.

The packers need CB help, so it must be bad they had to release him.

9. By Scott H on Feb 9, 2017 | Reply

Peterson not being among the top 101 players is just ridiculous. I’m not even taking the time to expand on that. Again, I’m just not a fan of OR a believer in this Pro Football Focus entity. They seem to be way too taken with a sense of their importance.

10. By Big Ken on Feb 9, 2017 | Reply

Worst case scenario: Jefferson and Swearinger both leave. There’s no trade down partners, so draft Jabrill Peppers at the 13th pick. I didn’t know much about him and recently looked at some high-lite videos. Big play maker not afraid to tackle.

11. By JTDG on Feb 9, 2017 | Reply

Big Ken,

Worst case scenario;

Let me start by saying this is not my choice or what I want to have happen, but what I am guessing could happen.

I think if Swearinger and Jefferson both leave, which is very possible, you will see the two safeties being Badger and Branch.

I think, with the money they paid Branch and the money they paid Badger, it would seem it was the plan last year before both were hurt.

Think about it, Jefferson was offered a low tender. Swearinger was a back up. Injuries force both into prominent roles and they seized their opportunity. Now, both want to get paid. Keim has an option to pay one or both, or go back to the original plan.

I asked Darren who will be our safeties in 2017. He answered Badger and someone else. Branch is on the roster, while, very soon, both Swearinger and Jefferson could be getting offers as free agents.

As for Peppers, he is an exciting player, but like Badger, is most effective around the Line of Scrimmage. Can’t see the cards making that move. Now, if Malik Hooker somehow fell to 13, he is an exciting player who will remind people of a faster Ed Reed.

12. By JTDG on Feb 9, 2017 | Reply

I wanted to make another comment regarding Peterson.

The only year he has played with a legit CB on the other side, was 2014.

Unfortunately, that was the year Peterson suffered from diabetes. It was his worst year, yet he still made the pro bowl. That is how good he is.

I really would like to see how good. I want to see how good he can be with help around him. He has never had a stud CB opposite, a stud slot and a true pass rush.

I want to see him line up on the other teams #1, knowing the ball could come his way because the cards have a stud CB opposite him and a healthy Badger in the slot and Jones and Golden flying after the QB.

If Keim signed only one FA, please let it be a CB like Gilmore or Bouye.

13. By Scott H on Feb 10, 2017 | Reply

Caption this picture –

Peterson – “C’mon, ref, they GOTTA throw the ball to my side sometime today, don’t they? What’s a brother got to do to get a ball thrown his way once in a while?”

14. By clssylssy on Feb 12, 2017 | Reply

The fact that only one of our “money players” made the top 100 is disturbing, and if I were Mr. Bidwill, I would be questioning Keim about his allocation of my money with the expectation that production and results were tied into pay, thereby offering some incentive. And, I would also make this a standard for coaches and front office staff. Seems like the only players besides Fitz, who are trying, are the guys working for a job, or who want to have a future in the NFL.
    While I realize that some things are beyond a player’s control (injuries, how they are used optimally to make the best use of their skills), perhaps if contracts were more incentive based, we would see a higher level of production from everyone including the staff.

15. By Larry Thompson on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

Patrick Peterson is only riding on his two punt returns for TDs some time ago. He cannot cover a quality recievr. Is consistently burned at the wrong time. He is not targeted because he covers sub par recievers

16. By Larry Thompson on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

Right now the Cardinals are a badly coached team. Arians and his staff (Kiem) should have been looking at QBs as early as last year. The backup QB should be next starter, And Palmer should be here to mentor him. Better has got to go..still has no answer for a mobile qb cannot stop Carolina or Seattle is sicken predictable and cannot make adjustments during a game or come up with a game plan

17. By Larry Thompson on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

If Palmer out for the season and Stanton starting isn’t a definition of desperation what is!

2. Feb 9, 2017: Glennon to Arizona Cardinals, Floyd takes and more FEATURED CARDINALS ARTICLE | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog