Warner believes Anquan is a Hall of Famer

Posted by Darren Urban on February 15, 2017 – 10:52 am

Kurt Warner is in the Hall of Fame, and he’s had a chance to play with a lot of receivers that also could get a gold jacket. Larry Fitzgerald will be there someday, and Warner knows that. But in an interview with PFT Live, Warner was asked who he’d bang the table for to try and help get into Canton. He said former Rams teammate Isaac Bruce, in his view, should already be in so he’d probably lobby that way, but he also said he expects Bruce and fellow Ram Torry Holt to eventually get in. So, Warner said, that would turn his attention to former Cardinals teammate Anquan Boldin.

“I might bang the table for Anquan Boldin, because I think of all those guys, he gets the least respect for how great he is,” Warner said. “It amazes me, we want to keep looking at measurables and how fast guys are, as opposed to (being) one of the greatest football players I ever played with, competed more than anybody I ever played (with).

“He wanted the ball in his hands, was a difference-maker. Everybody tries to get rid of him and he just goes and he’s the No. 1 receiver on that next team. So I believe he’s the one who gets the least amount of respect, so I would love to get on the table for him.”

Boldin’s career, like Fitz’s, is winding down. He’s currently set to be a free agent after spending 2016 with the Lions, and said — while at the Super Bowl in Houston — his plans for 2017 were undecided.

“You probably have to ask my wife,” Boldin said with a chuckle. “The decisions I make now don’t just affect me. If it was up to me, I’d say I’d probably be playing in 2017, but I have to sit down with my wife. We have two boys, my decision affects them, so it’ll be a family decision.”

(No, I would not think, if Boldin continues to play, the Cardinals would be an option.)

Boldin’s numbers deserve Hall consideration for sure, as does the fact he played for some good teams — the Cards’ Super Bowl team, the Ravens when they won a Super Bowl, playoff teams in San Francisco and Detroit. With 1,076 receptions for 13,779 yards and 82 touchdowns, his stats were close to Fitzgerald’s up until a couple of seasons ago when Fitz’s production popped. (Fitz is at 1,125-14,389-104 for his career).

As great as Boldin’s career has been there’s no question his best years — and longest tenure — was his time in Arizona. Seven seasons, five 1,000-yard years (of the seven in his career.) When he and Fitz played together at the height of their powers, they deserved to be in the argument for best duo.

Anquan Boldin, Kurt Warner

Tags: , , ,

18 Responses to “Warner believes Anquan is a Hall of Famer”

1. By D on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

Always will be one of my favorites, although I didn’t like how he burned the bridges here when he left town. I’ll never forget his first game vs the Lions

Glad to see C. Campbell still went on his trip this week and didn’t cancel due to some political uneducated views

2. By Corgon on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

Quan to the HoF! Warner’s every word is on the spot! Warner-Fizt-Quan…they were the best what I ever see! My three favourite Card ever!

3. By JTDG on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

The HOF is a tricky thing.

Boldin has been pretty consistent over the years and has great numbers, but never was that flashy guy.

When you ask, who are the best receivers over the last 10 years, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Steve Smith, even Chad Ocho Cinco comes to mind. But Boldin is for some reason forgotten.

It is interesting how Anquan is under the radar. But to me, he is like Troy Aikman.
    How ? Aikman is not the flashest QB and never lead the league in numbers, but just did his job every game. You could count on him. That is the same about Boldin. He is a guy who gives his all game in and game out and his teammates could always count on him. Not to mention, when it is all said and done, his numbers are great.

So, yes, I agree with Warner, Boldin is a HOF guy.

4. By D on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

I always thought a certain WR from Dallas shouldn’t have gone into the HOF, but I ran the comparison for the same amount of games for each player. (Q has played in 43 more games than I have below, this comparison total includes his 3rd game of his 2nd season in SF)

1988-1999- Irvin 3 Rings
    G Rec Yds TD
    TOTAL 159 11,904 65

Q 1 Ring
    2003-2014

G Rec Yds TD
    Total 159 11,513 65

Add another 43 more games played, 2330 more yards and 17 more TD’s to Q’s career total, and you have a HOF WR.

5. By Big Ken on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

Isn’t Boldin a free agent? I’d love to see him come back to AZ on a one year deal. Throw that guy in BA’s offense with Fitz and Palmer. And please no more Carlos Dansby!

6. By Scott H on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

As much as I love me some Anquan Boldin, I’m not sure he is a HOF’er. I couldn’t be surprised if he gets into some discussions, but…..I just don’t know if he makes the HOF. But I will always love the guy for his toughness and competetiveness. He played the WR position with a linebacker’s mentality – he actually WANTED to bang defenders around when he had the ball. I LOVED that. He is a no-doubt-about-it for the Cards ROH and I hope when that day comes, he will embrace that. I know he wasn’t the happiest camper on the way out….

He and Fitz were ABSOLUTELY the top WR duo in the NFL when they played together here. And they complemented each other perfectly. Boldin did the dirty work in the middle of the field and Fitz was the super-skilled guy on the outside that no one could stop once the Warner / Boldin / Haley trio made him into a more complete receiver.

7. By Richard S on Feb 15, 2017 | Reply

Boldin might not have had the speed but he was really quick and good at getting open. His Quarterback past also helped him know what was going on. After seeing tape of him, I told my son to draft him for his fantasy team. He ignored me and added him after Q’s first game and 200 yard day. He sure did a lot more than our first round draft Wide Receiver we picked that year, whatever his name was. I’d give him a place in the HOF. His dedication was something else after getting maimed, and badly hurt, in the end zone he came back as if nothing happened.

8. By jeffcardinalfan on Feb 16, 2017 | Reply

should Q b in hof? ABSOLUTELY…the numbers r there, the class and character and toughness r there…he has a ring. will he get in? probably not as he never had the big monents on national tv as fitz did and he wasn’t a diva nor a media darling. I would think that if only players who played against him voted he would b a shoo-in. like larry he played on some bad teams with bad qbs. the hof voters should ask themselves just one question…who would you want catching the ball and needing 5 more yards for the first down after the catch? his first game was great and the way he came back from the awful face injury was miraculous but my favorite Q moment was in the pro bowl when he sprinted 20 yds to make a block for another wr. imagine him on the patriots-he mite catch 150 balls even at this point in his career.

9. By shannon robinson on Feb 16, 2017 | Reply

Q over the middle on a deep slant with inside position. Throw him the ball when the money is on the line. After he got his face wired up and then came back to play the same year was a powerful statement of leadership. A Tip of the Cards’ Wing as another vote for Q to the Hall of Fame.

10. By D on Feb 16, 2017 | Reply

The more injured players coming out of the draft makes me want for AZ to really investigate these medical reports. I am leaning on moving down from 13. Players like Ross, Foster, Hooker, C. Davis, etc…shouldn’t be taken at 13 if injured, now at 25 pick or below, then maybe, but a rotator cuff injury for a ILB is not good for Foster. Sounds like a Mingo or S. Lawson situation. That FL ILB that Kiper has going to AZ in his latest mock draft has also had a injury history, not worth taking at 13 in round 1.

The draft is deep enough at CB that AZ should be able to get a solid starter in Rounds 1 or 2 if one isn’t signed in Free agency. That CB position seems to be the safe position to draft. Drafting a TE at 13 when other needs/ holes are more important to fill for AZ doesn’t make sense, especially since BA uses them for blocking more than catching needs. The C. Davis injury may affect how high M. Williams is drafted.

If C. Campbell is lost in Free agency, I wouldn’t rule out a DE player at 13 if AZ couldn’t move down in the draft.

So many questions with unknown answers prior to the free agency window in relation to the draft /college players..

11. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2017 | Reply

D —

RE: Campbell/13

Given that they took Nkemdiche in the first round last season in part with an eye on a Campbell departure, I would be very surprised if they went DL in round one.

12. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 16, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    Would the cardinals still trade up for QB Watson from Clemson
    I saw Kyle’s thing an so it did not even have Watson does that mean the Cardinals no more looking for Watson

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2017 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: Watson

The draft isn’t until April. They haven’t had any draft meetings yet. They don’t even know if they will be trading at all in the draft, much less up for a particular player.

14. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 16, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    Did the cardinals let Campbell loose

15. By georgiebird on Feb 16, 2017 | Reply

Of course, Q is a HOF player. But what get me is that Q, Larry, Bruce, Holt- none of them were as dominant in the NFL as Roy Green.

16. By D on Feb 17, 2017 | Reply

Off Season- Currently, AZ has between 32-35 million in Cap Space working off a guess of $168 mil 2017 Cap Space. With the number of holes to fill, that isn’t much $ when knowing teams like the Patriots, Jags, Browns have anywhere of $50-$90 mil in Space. I think this is finally the year to release DWash which will free up $2-$3 mil of Space. After 3 years of sitting on his couch, now 30yrs old, I don’t see him in the NFL anymore.

The best option would be for the agent for Jones and the Cards to hammer out a long term deal for C. Jones and not have to use the $15mil in Cap Space for his Tag, but time is getting short, because March and free agency will be starting soon. Reality is that the Cards will not be able to keep all, Jones, Campbell, Jefferson and Gresham with their current limited Cap Space.

As far as the QB position, no free agent QB will come here with Palmer as the starter. The Draft doesn’t appear to have a QB worth the #13 pick. The one player that intrigues me is J. Garoppolo. He is only 25 yrs old and has a Cap hit for 2017 of $1.1 mil. The Patriots have been fair when trading players and have a relationship with AZ (see Mr. Jones). The problems are the following:

1-Bidding War. He should be worth a 2nd Round pick this year with either a 4th or possible 3rd round pick next year. But, as desperate as many NFL teams are, his value could sky rocket.
    2- Is he the next M. Cassel or K. Kolb? Very limited playing experience.
    3- AZ would really need to be sold on him, because they would have to cut D. Stanton and hope Jimmy G can learn the offense quick enough this off season to be a capable backup for one year in 2017. Mr. Keim would have to restructure his deal in order for him to be making good starter $ in 2018.

My guesses/ hopes.

1- Franchised C. Jones
    2- Unfortunately lose C. Campbell in free agency. (Gunter/X. Williams/Nkemdiche will have to step up). I also see them bringing in another DL free agent if this would occur.

3- Resign J. Gresham, M. Cooper, S. Moore, AQ Shipley and A. Okafor
    4- Resign T. Jefferson. Big $ invested in secondary (Jefferson/PP/HoneyBadger)

5- Let Watford, Ellington, Taylor, Minter, Swearinger, Jenkins, C. Johnson and Rucker walk (although, if they do lose Campbell and feel the need for the locker room to bring back Rucker, it may be an option.)

6- Bring in Competition for Catanzaro
    7- Release DWash

New Free Agent signings:
    1. L. Warford RG or R. Leary RG. Either one to me would be considered a “splash” signing.
    2. D. Taylor DE or M. Hunt DE.
    3. B. Trawick SS (special Teams)

Draft (assuming the Cards stay at #13)
    Options depending on availability and earlier round drafted players

Round 1- M. Williams WR/ S. Jones CB/ Q. Wilson CB
    Round 2- Z. Cunningham ILB Vanderbilt / T. Taylor WR. W. Kentucky / R. Douglas CB W. Virginia
    Round 3- D. Webb QB Cal (assuming no Jimmy G. trade)
    Round 4- N. Jones DE/DT N.Carolina / L. Jerome Safety St. Francis (PA)
    Round 5- L. Daniels Jr. RB Iowa / J. Thomas RB Temple
    Round 6- M. Roberts TE Toledo

2. Feb 15, 2017: Warner would ‘bang the table’ to make Boldin Hall of Famer | The Draft Duel Cast
  3. Apr 26, 2017: Kurt Warner: Anquan Boldin deserves to be in Hall - Quarterback