Canton means more time on 2017 road

Posted by Darren Urban on February 23, 2017 – 2:18 pm

The Cardinals will get a fifth preseason game. That was announced Thursday, with the Cards facing the Cowboys in the Hall of Fame game (the Cardinals also have to play Dallas during the regular season). While the game likely eases the problem of having to be out of University of Phoenix Stadium Aug. 4 for a concert — the game in Aug. 3, and it’s possible the Cards could just take a couple days off and start again Aug. 6 or 7 — it does make camp longer. The official start date of camp won’t be announced for a while, but teams can begin up to 15 days before their first game. Mid-July, anyone? OK, it probably is going to play to mixed reviews.

Another interesting part of this is Bruce Arians’ recent comments about hitting/tackling more in training camp. An extra week of practice plus another game adds to the risk.

But it also plays into a 2017 season that will already feature a trip to London. Those dates and length of the trip still have to be announced, but it seems likely the Cardinals will be across the pond for a week or so. The schedule also includes trips to Washington D.C. and Philadelphia (which could be wrapped into the London trip, possibly), Indianapolis, Houston and Detroit, the two remaining NFC West rivals, and whomever the Cards may play on the road in the preseason. The miles will add up.

patphof

Tags: , , , ,

22 Responses to “Canton means more time on 2017 road”

1. By Scott H on Feb 23, 2017 | Reply

Looking at Fitz’s comments…..good thing he made his decision to return BEFORE he knew about this!

But for Fitz, maybe some other vets, just because there is another pre-season game, it doesn’t mean he / they should have to play any more than they normally would. Really, at this point, does Larry Fitzgerald need a lot of playing time in the pre-season to be ready?? No. He is a smart veteran player who takes care of his body all year long and he knows what preparation he needs in July & August to be ready for Sept. He dedicates himself to catching every ball that comes his way, be it practice, pre-season, or regular season. He will want to have his timing down with Palmer but that’s not gonna require a lot of pre-season reps to be where it needs to be.

Aren’t there some POSITIVE aspects to getting an extra pre-season game, too??? Seems to me there ought to be….more opportunities for the coaches to to evaluate players during live competition. While most of the civilized world seems to hate pre-season football / thinks the number of games should be reduced, I’ve always believed the coaches probably NEED these games to be able to make the choices they need to make. For THEM, I can’t imagine reducing pre-season games from four to two.

2. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz

I have a strong belief Fitz has less of a problem with the extra preseason game — in which he will play a couple plays, if at all — and more with the extra time in camp. He was complaining about camp last year when we were only a few days in.

3. By mal on Feb 23, 2017 | Reply

I hate the HOF game. It’s a curse to be chosen for it.

Pre-season is already one game too long.

Nobody needs this, not coaches or players. Just more chance for injury.

4. By D on Feb 23, 2017 | Reply

This years Camo Pat Run shirts are Superbness!

5. By Jamessamuels1932 on Feb 23, 2017 | Reply

REWIND……..December 2015…… Cardinals sign Bethel to a 3yr/15mil contract to play opposite Peterson. April 2016…..Bethel fractured his foot and had surgery and missed all ota’s and summer practices. August 2016…..Bethel re injured his foot while training. December 2016…..Bethel said his foot was back again and in games 16 and 17 (1pick six and 4 passes def. and allowing only 35 yards in 1 game) ProFootballFocus ranked him as one of the top corners in the league in those 2 games.Now..February 2017…..The…

6. By Eric G on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

You know, I always knew Fitz was a lazy no-good slacker. True colors showing. What a bum. I mean really, what has he ever done?

– Yes I’m being as sarcastic as Fitz. 5 preseason games is great because all of these way too many young players could use the extra game work.

7. By mitchaz on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

In many ways the Arizona Cardinals under Bruce Arians have become the biggest bitchers in the NFL. That was never more evident yesterday when star WR Larry Fitzgerald tweeted that having to play in the NFL’s Hall of Fame Game and adding a week on to training camp was “the worst thing ever.”

This statement is not only 4th grade-ish in its petulance, it is an embarrassment, not only to the Cardinals, but to the NFL.

Every year from Arians and his players we hear a constant barrage of complaints about East Coast travel, game times, short weeks, Thursday night football, bad calls, horrid officiating, yadda-yadda-yadda.

Sure, the Cardinals have a big year of travel ahead of them—which includes a trip to London to play the Rams and two east coast trips to Philadelphia and Washington.

Now their travel itinerary includes a trip to Canton.

Oh the poor, picked-on Cardinals.

Clearly, there are other ways of looking at the schedule.

Just maybe a trip to Canton could inspire the Cardinals to reach for the stars in 2017.

Just maybe being in Canton when Kurt Warner is going to be inducted in the Hall of Fame will remind the Cardinals of their one and only trip to the Super Bowl. The symbolism of being in Canton with Warner—something Larry Fitzgerald should want to do anyway—should be exciting and motivational.

Just maybe this trip comes at the perfect time for the team to get a head start on the rest of the league and to avoid the hassle of being relocated because of the Metallica concert.

Just maybe this time around the Cardinals will see what the top two teams in the NFC (Cowboys and Falcons) experienced last year as to how an infusion of youth and fresh energy can impel the team and the organization toward new heights, especially coming off disappointing, non-playoff seasons in 2015.

Just maybe the coaches and the players will realize as the Patriots did that “no days off” actually pays off.

Just maybe Bruce Arians won’t have to bribe the players to win with Victory Mondays.

Just maybe Arians and the players will finally realize that being whiney little bitchers does not help their cause one iota…in fact, it puts added monkeys and gorillas on their backs.

Just maybe the team will see each week as a special and new challenge and will embrace all of it, every second and minute of it.

Just maybe—with a critical shift in attitude—the Arizona Cardinals will finally understand what it takes to make their way into the lore of Canton, Ohio.

Just maybe the Cardinals will learn that talking about it makes them look foolish when they don’t do something about it. And even worse…when all they do is complain about it.

8. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

Well that’s EXTRA MONEY for Fitz and extra week for preseason I would do it

9. By Halagator on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz,

I think you are blowing Fitz’s comments up unjustly…To say Larry’s comment is 4th grader ish…I disagree completely. Nobody likes the grind of training camp. I played college ball up here in Canada and I hated training camp. It wears you out. I don’t think the Cardinals are bitching about everything…you are on their website and blog so you are going to hear news first hand about the teams thoughts and opinions. Go to any other teams blog and its much of the same thing. I’ve seen a lot of comments on this blog that are far worse, I often shake my head at them and think…did they really just post that? Maybe we should all re-read and think before we click..

10. By JTDG on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz,

Haven’t you ever had something that forced you to work extra and you said “that sucks” .

I think if you polled all the vets of 5 years of NFL or more, they would ask to show up for the last two weeks of camp. Maybe not even that long. These guys know how to get ready and prepare their bodies. It is not enjoyable to go through long enduring camps.

Remember the words of Allen Iverson;

“Practice, we are talking about practice, not a game. no . practice”

11. By JTDG on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

jamessamuals,

I addressed this on the last blog. But I will add one thing.

While the cards were handing out that contract to Bethel, the chargers handed out the exact same deal to Casey Hayward.

Hayward had 7 picks and went to the probowl. Bethel was failure in progress.

Can’t count on him as a CB outside.

12. By clssylssy on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

I can’t believe all the negativity but am a believer that attifude is everything and it starts at the top–the coaches set the tone and are in a position to spin things the way they feel. If it were big Ben being inducted this would get played as the biggest honor imagineable rather than extra work and sacrifice of summer va-ca.

This is an exhibition game for crying out loud, and, in the spirit of the occasion, it’s symbolic and should be a tribute to the greats being honored for their accomplishments,as well as those , who,through the years, have come before to make the game great.

As far as practice goes, it’s homework to help the teaching process through reinforcement (kinda shocked that Fitz has an issue with homework and preparation,lol). Given our last season and the fact that this will be a different bunch of recruits , I would think ANY extra time practicing would be wecomed as a gift because we desperately are going to need it!

I agree with mitchaz, this team needs to quit sniveling. I know Larry didn’t mean anything by his comments but, com’on man, it’s Kurt Warner!!!

13. By D on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

Bethel will continue to get opportunities in the slot, he still is the team’s pro bowl special teamer even though the special teams are terrible…I am guessing Keim will sign another free agent known for Special teams this spring, say a B. Trawick from Oakland who is a free agent..

14. By Scott H on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

Wow….kinda surprised at some of these reactions. Really, I think Fitz’ comments were just a good-natured “gripe” from a veteran player. A veteran player who has done nothing BUT work his ass off to be the best he can be.

Fitz has never held out….has never asked for a trade…..has barely missed time during his entire career……has accepted moving into the slot and enduring more physical punishment in his 30’s…..but we can’t allow him a tweet like this, that is probably more tongue in cheek than anything else????

Man….rough crowd.

15. By JTDG on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

D,

“Bethel will continue to get opportunities in the slot”

are you saying Bethel will play in the slot over Badger?

It is an either / or.

I guess if they go 4 wides, he could come in , but last year, the cards liked to put Branch on the 2nd slot receiver and bring in another safety.

Just don’t see his value except insurance for Badger going down.

16. By clssylssy on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Scott..
    When you are a celebrity, you have to be careful what you say publically,especially on social media or to the press and expect it to spark a reaction. Larry has been exceptional in his dealings with the media, which was what really sort of shocked me and caught me off guard. Nonetheless, it probably would have gone unnoticed had it not been turned into a headline that spun it in a way that our players would be on the road for ADDITIONAL work.
    Fitz is probably the most selfless man in the organization with manycommittments, so I can imagine that having a schedule change dropped on ya would be annoying…still he should know the media isn’t always your friend.
    Most good coaches don’t court the media like BA, but stick to the x’s and o’s whichisn’t always what the fans want but is better for the team. I lost a lot of respect for Coach Arians for his remarks to the press devaluing and deskilling his players (Bethel & Robert N especially) and have to wonder if his behavior didn’t play a big part in Fitz’s and Palmer’s ambivalence about returning. It was unprofessional and an embarrassment, and in most work places wouldn’t have been tolerated.
    It’s a new season, would be nice to think we’d profited from our mistakes but it seems I have been telling myself that for over twenty years!

17. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Spun

The players are getting additional work. Not sure how that’s a “media spin.”

18. By mitchaz on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

I think you said it perfectly, clssylssy.

Fitz is the face of the organization. And up until recently he has been a paragon of decorum and class.

It worries me that Fitz was outspoken last year about how camp was drudgery and an utter inconvenience…and then the Cardinals had the worst training camp and pre-season in BA’s tenure.

My frustration is much more directed toward the head coach, the current team culture and the team as a whole. I think this team—at its core—is full of itself and overly impressed with itself…whole lotta talking…and whole lotta whining…and a whole lotta underachieving.

It still sticks in my craw that last year’s no-show of a pre-season (which carried over big-time into the regular season) was the Cardinals’ reaction to getting their butts whipped by Carolina in the NFC Championship Game.

It also sticks in my craw, as you alluded to, that the head coach throws the vast preponderance of the blame on the players and singles certain whipping boy du jour players out and debases them to the media.

There is a reason why not one of the recently polled players in the 2017 draft class voted for BA as a coach they’d like to play for. Who wants to come in and be branded publicly as “knee deep” or a “failure in progress”? BA has even said he no longer expects rookies to play in their first year. Good for the Patriots, Cowboys and Falcons that their head coaches thought differently on that score as key rookies played an integral part in their success.

The Hall of Fame Game gives BA and the team an excellent added opportunity to assess and develop the young talent on the roster….and maybe…just maybe…this year’s team will be re-energized by a youthful exuberance. Just maybe…it will be worth Fitz’s and very other veteran’s time to be there to spur these teammates on, despite being so put out to do so..

19. By clssylssy on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Darren..
    You are absolutely correct that it appears the trip to Canton may mean extra work
    (although I believe I read the team might get time off later at the start of camp).
    Nonetheless, as a parent you must know we “spin” things all the time to make them more palatable. The way I see it, this could have been presented in a more positive light as Kurt Warner’s former team selected to play Jerry Jones team, the
    Cowboys, in the HOF game, making it a prestigious honor rather than drudgery.
    While Kurt won a ring with the Rams and “The Greatest Show on Turf” this is a great opportunity to remind everyone that the Cards were the ones to revive his career and take a team, against all odds, all the way to within 30 seconds of a SB
    Win nobody foresaw happening–the stuff that keeps us believing it’s possible and keeps us coming back.
    I guess I see this as an oppodtunity for us to do some damage control and begin the season as a team that is fun to watch and is a respectable contender.

20. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Canton

It will mean extra work. Period. There will be more days of training camp. Whether they get an extra day off later doesn’t offset the extra 10 to 13 days of camp, whatever the Cardinals decide to do. That’s indisputable.

Again, as for “spin,” you said the media spun it. The media reported that they had an extra game and will have an extra two weeks (or so) of camp. That’s a fact. Is it Warner’s former team against Jones’ team? Sure. Not sure what one has to do with the other, nor why it would prevent Fitz (or any other player) from being disappointed about having the offseason cut short. I know I’m not exactly thrilled either.

21. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

clssylssy –

RE: When you’re a celebrity….

Wait….are you saying I’m not?? How dare you!

Yes, like Fitz, I’m saying that with a grin. One of the great tragedies of things like e-mail or Twitter or texting is that you don’t get the tone of the person speaking, or see their facial expression. If we did, we would have a better sense of how it is intended.

That said, I think you are the one being a little harsh this time with some of your comments – especially about BA. And I really don’t get what you are saying about Palmer and / or Fitz having ambivalence about playing this year. Both players said flat out they still have the fire to play, it was merely about how they felt physically. I absolutely believe them both.

Fitz came out and said, loud and clear, he loves BA and loves playing for him. He’s not saying that if it ain’t true.

22. By clssylssy on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    Oh, you think? Now I see BA is whinning to the media that he is going to need shoulder surgery because of the hug he got from Fitz! Maybe he is to fragile to be on the sidelines where he could get mowed down by a player. I can guarantee you Fitz can hug me anytime and I won’t complain! Yet I noticed BA was still able to swing a golf club (actually it’s called getting old)