Full list of Cardinals draft picks in April

Posted by Darren Urban on February 24, 2017 – 4:18 pm

The NFL officially announced the draft order for April’s draft, following the decision on comp picks (the Cards got an extra fifth-rounder.) Here is the list of where the Cards are picking — eight choices in all — and a notable name or two that was chosen at that overall slot:

First round: 13th overall (DT Aaron Donald, DT Sheldon Richardson, WR Michael Floyd, DT Nick Fairley)

Second round: 45th overall (LB Kevin Minter, WR Alshon Jeffery, LB Lofa Tatupu)

Third round: 77th overall (RB Duke Johnson, LB Chris Borland)

Fourth round: 120th overall (QB Logan Thomas, DT Geno Atkins, CB Asante Samuel)

Fifth round: 157th overall (DE Quinton Dial, DT Arthur Jones)

Fifth round: 179th overall (TE Bo Scaife, TE Desmond Clark)

Sixth round: 197th overall (WR Arnez Battle, QB Gus Frerotte)

Seventh round: 231st overall: (S Hamza Abdullah)

a7r-07636

Tags:

40 Responses to “Full list of Cardinals draft picks in April”

1. By joe holst on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

Its not right we do not get the other 3 7th Rounders, if anything they should roll those over to next year or combine then into another 5th rounder, meanwhile Seattle gets 2 3rd rounders, , bunch of garbage,

2. By sasquatchery on Feb 24, 2017 | Reply

This does not imbue me with confidence.

3. By Jon Elder on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Darren, can you explain how these players get ranked and why three of our four picks were ranked in the seven total players that wound up getting the “compensatory shaft” so to speak?

Was this just bad luck? Was there anything that could have been done differently so that this didn’t happen? I mean, what are the odds that three out of the seven total players that didn’t become picks were Cardinals? That just seems insane…

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Jon —

RE: Formula

I cannot. The formula is secret. Again, it has to do with contracts and playing time. And as we go and as teams seem to get more into letting players go because they know comp picks are possible, I wouldn’t be surprised if more teams lost out.

Again, any picks the Cards lost out on would have been at the end of the seventh round. It’s not like they were losing potential fourth-round choices.

5. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Jon —

RE: Comp picks formula 2

This has some details of what those who have studied it think:

6. By Big Ken on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

A ‘secret formula’? Makes me chuckle.

7. By clssylssy on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Out of 32 picks awarded, the Browns got 11, including a first rounder (I read), so I guess we should be grateful. I have a feeling team’s willingness to continuously churn the roster during the season, trading players that don’t immediately produce and be competitive for roster spots has a lot to do with some teams being awarded more. The Cards philosophy for drafting projects would seem to work against us in this regard. It is my understanding that our pick was for Rashard Johnson who was considered more valued than some of our others who qualified, just not high enough.

8. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Browns

Incorrect. There were 32 comp picks awarded. No team can get more than four. Browns were one of the teams with four. Also, the picks are based on FA gains and losses. Who is traded and chosen have zero to do with it.

9. By JTDG on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Thanks Darren for the Logan Thomas picture. Just what we needed to see.

Projects at QB rarely work.

Whether it is Kizer, Watson or Mahomes, Either you know he is your guy or pass on him and look at 2018.

If Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Mason Rudolph are in the 2018 draft, that is a much better QB draft.

Point is, don’t hope for a project, when much more solid QBs may be n next years draft.

10. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: QBs

You are right to a point. Prescott was viewed as a “project” though. And there is no guarantee that Kizer, Watson, Mahomes, Darnold, Rosen or Rudolph won’t be one either.

11. By clssylssy on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

I should add that while it was initially reported that the Browns were awarded eleven picks (including a first rounder), I’m not sure that is possible since picks aren’t suppose to be awarded until the third round, so it appears there is more to the stirt if that is even true. “Secret formula” indeed = Suspicious!

12. By Jon on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Wow, that is wild. Ok thanks for the info. Still kind of stinks that three of the seven lost picks were on our team. Sometimes I feel like drafts can be about just collecting enough picks to where you get lucky and hit on a couple. Would have been nice to have those picks, even the late rounders.

13. By D on Feb 25, 2017 | Reply

Imagine what Mr. Keim may do in free agency if Campbell and Jefferson move on for richer deals, with the mind set of win now mode.

Possible actions and players to watch: Extend Bucannon, sign free agents like: N. Folk, N. Mangold, L. Warford, P. Garcion, resign Gresham, G. Hodges, M. Hyde, D. McFadden, R. Leary, M. Claiborne, B. Trawick, M. Hunt, etc..

If Campbell moves on, they would need a veteran DL, need a veteran RB and WR and OL.

14. By Scott H on Feb 26, 2017 | Reply

Hmmm….one wonders if the Cardinals might take a look at Mangold, just released by the Jets. Coming off an ankle injury but not anything that seemed like a career-ender. Depending on what he is looking for, could this be another Dwight Freeney or Larry Foote-like Steve Keim special? Unless he just physically looks like he can’t play anymore, I don’t see why they wouldn’t take a look. It’s not like Shipley has totally locked it down at center…..

15. By JTDG on Feb 26, 2017 | Reply

I guess what I was saying is, if you take a QB in round 1 or 2 of the 2017 draft, I would hope you are confident that he is not someone that you hope will come around, but instead, is a guy you truly believe is going to be the guy.

A pick at 13 can’t be, well he has all the issues but if I fix them, he could be good. I just think you need to think he is the guy and we need to refine and give him experience and he is our guy.

Notice I used “believe” and “think”. Because nothing is fool proof. But this is what gets GMs and Head Coaches fired. Taking the wrong guy at QB high in the draft.

With that being said, if I was going to risk my job and reputation on a QB in 2017, I would really want to believe he is the guy. I am not sure I do with this group (Kizer is probably the closest). But I would feel more comfortable with the 3 guys in 2018.

16. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: QBs

I agree. Although we are light years from 2018 and what those QBs project at that point.

17. By JTDG on Feb 26, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Preach it brother ! I have been on the Mangold bandwagon for months.
    This guy is a 7 time pro bowler who played 11 seasons and played 156 out of 160 games till his injured ankle last year.

Mangold and Zeitler are my two top FA.

18. By JTDG on Feb 26, 2017 | Reply

So, if the one QB Keim really believes could be franchise guys in 2017 is gone, you have to move on the next best player and just skip drafting a QB that year. Agree ?

And just for the sake of argument and good wishes, we are picking 29, 30, 31st or 32 in 2018 and one of those “franchise guys” are there in the top 5 (ala Carsen Wentz in 2016).

Don’t you have to trade the farm to come up and get that guy in 2018 with even more than the Eagles/Rams/Redskins type trade to land your guy?

Or do you have to feel (for the sake of argument i’ll use Kizer) that you must trade up from 13 in 2017 to get Kizer ? Since 2018 is so far away and so many things can happen?

Don’t the cards have to trade up if they feel (again, just using Kizer as an example) Kizer is a franchise guy? You can’t hope he drops to 13, right?

If it takes multiple picks in 2017 and 2018 to come get Kizer, doesn’t that put so much more pressure on Keim in FA ?

And then there is the 2016 draft. If Williams was a good CB and Nkemdiche was as good as advertised and Boehm a shoe in at center, wouldn’t the FA be so much easier?

Ahhh, it all comes back to the draft.
    If we could just hit with our first 3 picks most of the time each year since 2013, we wouldn’t need a guard, a LB, a TE, DL, or CB. But when you miss so much, you better know how to make the cap work and hit with the FAs.

So, if you decide to give up the farm and get Kizer (example), don’t you have to work the cap and fill the holes since you won’t have early draft picks to do so?

And if you pass in 2017, and fill holes in the draft (where you can’t keep missing), will you have the “juice” to go up and get that guy?

19. By Scott H on Feb 26, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Mangold

Can I get an Amen??

I think for him, being released by the Jets at this point is probably akin to being released from prison. I’m pretty sure he’d love to land with a real contender after where he’s been the last few seasons.

20. By Jon on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

JTDG,

Those are all pretty interesting thoughts. It does go to show how important drafts are, and how big draft misses on top picks can continue to come back and hamstring what a team can do 2,3, or even 4 years down the road. Those misses over time can accumulate and ultimately cost you an opportunity to reach up and grab the biggest prize of them all: A franchise QB.

21. By mitchaz on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

Here are my top 5 rated players at each position and draft grades (not necessarily where they will go, but how they rate with the field).

Offense:
    QB:

1. Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech. Grade: Early Round 2.
    2. Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina. Grade: Early Round 2.
    3. Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame. Grade: Mid Round 2.
    4. Chad Kelly, Mississippi. Grade: Early Round 3.
    5. Deshaun Watson, Clemson, Grade: Early to Mid Round 3.

RB:

1. Leonard Fournette, LSU. Most talented player in the draft, imo. Early Round 1.
    2. Christian McCaffrey, Stanford. Most versatile offensive player in the draft. Early Round 1.
    3. Dalvin Cook, FSU. Mid Round 1. Fumbling issues, only concern.
    4. Joe Mixon, Oklahoma. Mid Round 2, if he proves he’s matured.
    5. Alvin Kamara, Tennessee. Mid to Late Round 2. Could excel in 2 RB stystem. Not a bell cow.

WR:

1. Corey Davis, Western Michigan. Early Round 1.
    2. Mike Williams, Clemson. Mid Round 1.
    3. John Ross, Washington. Early Round 2.
    4. Curtis Samuel, Ohio St. Early to Mid Round 2.
    5. ArDarius Stewart, Alabama. Mid Round 2.

TE:

1. O.J. Howard, Alabama. Mid to Late Round 1.
    2. David Njoku, Miami. Late Round 1.
    3. Jake Butt, Michigan. Early Round 3.
    4. Adam Shaheen, Ashland, Mid Round 3.
    5. Evan Engram, Mississippi. Mid Round 3.

T:

1. Ryan Ramczyk, Wisconsin. Early Round 2.
    2. Garret Bolles, Utah. Mid Round 2.
    3. Cam Robinson, Alabama. Mid Round 2.
    4. Roderick Johnson, FSU. Mid Round 3.
    5. Taylor Moton, Westen Michigan. Mid Round 3.

G/C:

1. Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky. Mid Round 1.
    2. Dorian Johnson, Pittsburgh. Late Round 1.
    3. Dion Dawkins, Temple. Mid Round 2.
    4. Dan Feeney, Inidana. Mid Round 2.
    5. Pat Elflein, Ohio St. Early to Mid Round 3.

22. By mitchaz on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

Defense and Top 15 Overall

DT:

1. Solomon Thomas, Stanford. Early Round 1.
    2. Jonathan Allen, Alabama. Early Round 1.
    3. Carlos Watkins, Clemson, Early to Mid Round 2.
    4. Malik McDowell, Michigan St. Mid Round 2.
    5. Jhaustin Thomas, Iowa St. Early Round 3.

Edge:

1. Myles Garrett, Texas A&M. Early Round 1.
    2. Takkarist McKinley, UCLA. Early Round 1.
    3. Tarell Basham, Ohio. Mid Round 1.
    4. Charles Harris, Missouri. Mid Round 1.
    5T. Derek Barnett, Tennessee. Mid to Late Round 1.
    5T. Tim Williams, Alabama. Mid to Late Round 1.

LB:

1. Reuben Foster, Alabama. Early Round 1.
    2. Haason Reddick, Temple. Early to Mid Round 1.
    3. Jarrad Davis, Florida. Mid to Late Round 1.
    4. Raekwon McMillan, Ohio St. Mid Round 2.
    5. Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt. Mid Round 2.

CB:

1. Marshon Lattimore, Ohio St. Early Round 1.
    2. Sidney Jones, Washington. Early to Mid Round 1.
    3. Gareon Conley, Ohio St. Mid Round 1.
    4. Jourdan Lewis, Michigan. Mid to Late Round 1.
    5. Quincy Wilson, Florida. Mid to Late Round 1.

S:

1. Malik Hooker, Ohio St. Early to Mid Round 1.
    2. Jamal Adams, LSU. Mid Round 1.
    3. Budda Baker, Washington. Early Round 2.
    4. Jabrill Peppers, Michigan. Early Round 2.
    5. Desmond King, Iowa. Mid Round 2.

K:

1. Zane Gonzalez, Arizona St. Early Round 4.
    2. Jake Elliott, Memphis. Early to Mid Round 4.

My Top 15:

1. Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
    2. Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio St.
    3. Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
    4. Solomon Thomas, DT/DE, Stanford
    5. Malik Hooker, FS, Ohio St.
    6. Myles Garrett, Edge, Texas A&M
    7. Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
    8. Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
    9. Jonathan Allen, DT/DE, Alabama
    10. Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
    11. Takkarist McKinley, Edge, LSU
    12. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
    13. Jamal Adams, SS, LSU
    14. Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio St.
    15. Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky

23. By clssylssy on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    AMEN, AMEN,AMEN!!! Saw an interesting interview w Kurt Warner who talked about the importance of having a good/experienced Center and the trust relationship between he & the QB & I think this is a not so glamorous position that gets overlooked. Mangold could provide stability to the Oline while bringing
    Boehm along as a mentor.
    JTDG…Do you really think that the Cards posess the infastructure to develop a QB and that any QB they take at this point won’t be throwing a pick away? With
    Stanton the number 2, and remembering the complexity of BA’s playbook, anybody is going to be a project w limited learning opportunity; if we dump Stanton & Palmer gets hurt we are dead in the water even bringing in someone in the NFL (the Lindley experience). Looks like we’ve painted ourselves into a corner ! I’m NOT for taking a QB in the draft just to be taking someone & ease the pressure from disgruntled fans.

24. By D on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

Cards just spent half their Cap $ today. Should we expect DWash to be released this week to free up $4mil?

25. By Andy Kw on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

Dwight Freeney. He wants another ring, he’ll get one with us. AZ can rotate Dwight Freeney with the LBs and DL. His leadership is what I want and that spin move of his is contagious. I want him back, especially since we’ll lose a valuable player/leader in Calais Campbell

26. By JTDG on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

clssylssy,

I was saying exactly what you were.
    Do not just pick a QB to pick one and hope he could develop into the franchise guy.

If you go QB, you have to believe, as a GM, you job depends on hitting. (even if it doesn’t). Then you will only take a QB this year if you know deep in your heart he is the guy.

As for Stanton, if Palmer goes down, the season is over with or without Stanton.Sure we can win some games, but the super bowl? No way.

But my other point is, if there is a Franchise QB in this draft, don’t you have to trade up with San Fran or Chicago and get him? And being both those teams could use a new QB, why would they trade?

The Jags will be our best bet to trade up. Since the Niners and Bears run different offenses than we do, they may like other QBs, and we could grab our guy at 4.

But because we have drafted poorly since 2013, we have holes to fill. And because we couldn’t get a deal done with Chandler Jones, we don’t have a whole lot of money to spend.

So, even if Kizer was the guy and you could get him at #4, it would cost you multiple picks that you can’t afford to give up.

The only hope is your QB sliding to 13. I guess it happens.
    Rodgers dropped to #23
    Flacco to #18
    Dalton dropped all the way to 35 and Derek Carr to 36
    Paxton Lynch dropped to 26 last year.

So, if you are Keim and like, for example, Kizer, do you roll the dice that he falls to 13? Or do you trade up? Or do you let 2018 take care of 2018 issues.

27. By JTDG on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz,

Myles Garrett the 6th best player in the draft??? OK, Why?

Jon Allen #9. Come on now.

Corey Davis over Mike Williams?? Can’t see that one.

Deshawn Watson #5 ??? Round 3?? You lost me

28. By D on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

CAP SPACE

(based on rough estimate of what the total CAP will be in 2017)

After today’s action

Est. Cap Space (All):
    $17,583,965

Est. Cap Space (Top 51+Pool):
    $18,978,965

Est. Cap Space (Top 51):
    $18,978,965

Not much $ for free agency, unless they want to add $7-$8 million more by releasing DWash and T. Branch. Although, if you are unable to resign Jefferson and Swearinger, may need to keep Branch on the roster at least until after the Draft.

29. By JTDG on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

I think I am down to hoping the cards sign 2 FAs. Sure, there are others I would want signed, but if they could get just these two guys, I would be happy.

Center Nick Mangold
    Guard Kevin Zeitler.

Is that really too much to ask for?

I’ll take the CB in the draft , I’ll take a receiver in the draft. A LB in the draft.
    I would be willing to roll the dice everywhere else. But man, if we could get these two guys to open holes for DJ and protect Palmer up the middle, we have a shot.

Lets face it, what did our offense miss in 2016? That second receiver to get open, but a draft pick and the two Browns healthy paired with JJ nelson solves that issue.
    but the biggest issue on offense last year was protection. Mangold and Zeitler solve that issue.

Making this offense great again can help the defense, forcing teams to keep up with the scoring and throw. With Jones and Golden coming off the edge, all we need is that other CB. I don’t see Keim solving it in FA. But a Teez Tabor could solve it.

I am renewing my season tickets for the 26th year, come on Keim, give me something.

30. By mitchaz on Feb 27, 2017 | Reply

JTDG—

Thanks for asking about my ratings—I know that they are not going to be very popular because I do not agree with the general consensus among the draft pundits.

I’ve been watching Myles Garrett—and, while physically gifted, he did not shine in big SEC games this year. His 8.5 sacks on the season is a misleading number because he had 4.5 of them in one game versus UT-San Antonio. He had 0 sacks versus Alabama, Arkansas and LSU, all losses.

Jon Allen is a tweener…more of a DT in the NFL than a DE. I think Solomon Thomas is quicker off the snap and more consistently disruptive.

I think Corey Davis is the best all-around WR in this draft. While I like Mike Williams, I prefer RAC guys like Davis who can play equally well inside in the slot and outside on the perimeter. Corey Davis, imo, is the David Johnson of WRs.

Deshaun Watson is a very good leader and gritty competitor, but what concerns me about him as pro prospect is that he doesn’t get the ball out fast enough, he’s a little too deliberate and his downfield accuracy, largely because of late timing is inconsistent. Regardless, I think any of the 5 QB I listed might wind up being the best of the batch—they all look like 2-3 year developmental QBs—so it will depend on the system and what coach will be willing to roll the dice with a young QB earlier rather than later.

31. By mitchaz on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

The QB in this draft whom I like the best is Patrick Mahomes. Not only does he have the quickest release, his mobility and ability to improvise on the run is especially impressive. Yes, Mahomes will have to adapt his style to the NFL game and will have to get comfortable under center. But, I think he has the eagerness, coachability and leadership to be a very good QB in the right system and with the right coaching.

32. By clssylssy on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

D…
    Great job with the numbers (although the harsh reality of our finances leaves me even more demoralized than before).
    Andy…
    Agreed on Freeney, he made are defense SO MUCH BETTER & his fingerprints were all over Atlanta’s. We aren’t the same team he wanted to come back to last year and I’m not sure a sub .500 team would be among those given his consideration. Still, his presence would help our defense that is going to need all the help it can get when we lose some of our best talent to FA. I also want to see us bring back Chris Johnson (who has been playing for practically nothing).
    JTDG…
    We are on the same page EXCEPT for the fact that I’m a believer in a killer defense and don’t think we would have had the success we’ve had w/o our defense. The fact that we are losing some of our most intimidating and talented players to FA makes me doubt our ability to make the playoffs . Love these guys, but think you’re betting on a lame horse. I do applaud your otomi

33. By D on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

With limited CAP Space and numerous holes to fill, we as fans need to lower our expectations of possible free agents. Mr, Keim and Co will need to draft players this spring that can start and or contribute this year because, there are many areas to upgrade/fix.

Offense: A veteran WR, RG/C, TE as critical areas to address for 2017. Depth of RB and future QB is also needed to be addressed.

Defense: A starting CB, starting ILB, veteran DL one Campbell moves on and a starting Safety since both HoneyBadger and T. Branch have injury histories.

TE: I see them resigning J. Gresham.

RG/C – A combination of E. Boehm and resigning AQ Shipley is possible, but AZ needs to keep Palmer more healthy this upcoming season, so I would sign
    Stefan Wisniewski in free agency at Center and who could also play G depending on Boehm and the younger players currently on the roster. He is an upgrade from AQ and wouldn’t break the bank in $. He also has played with Carson before in Oakland.

Another option would be to sign N. Mangold at Center, who also would be an upgrade from last year and have Boehm play RG. Mangold would be a one year rental, but has had some injury history.

Anyone can say sign K. Zeitler or R. Leary for G, but can the Cards afford 7-9 mil per year when free agency $ is limited?

A draft solution to this hole would be Forrest Lamp to play RG and play Boehm at Center. But, the Cards would have to take him in Round 1, at #13.

Veteran WR, we have seen P. Garcon name mentioned in connection to AZ, but he’ll get anywhere from 7-9 mil per year, is he worth eating up that much space?
    Kendall Wright could be a cheaper option, although he has had some injuries the last few years.

RB- I don’t believe C. Johnson will be resigned. Convincing a veteran to play here will be a challenge, since D. Johnson won’t come off the field much. D. McFadden has backed up young studs before, would he come here and do it again?

Future QB- most likely come in the draft from Rounds 2-4.

Defense:
    Starting CB- I just don’t see AZ being able to bring in a S. Gilmore for 10 mil or more a year, or even P. Amukamara would cost at least 8 mil or more per year. Maybe a L. Ryan from NE would be a lower cost player, but with the amount of free agent money floating around in the NFL, even he will not be cheap.

Draft options: S. Jones and T. Tabor in Round 1, Q. Wilson in Round 2. S. Jones needs to gain some weight, but many believe Jones is as good as M. Peters from KC but without the attitude. That would be enticing.

Safety: Jefferson will leave for richer deals outside of AZ. I would resign Swearinger, but one would think a deal would be done soon if AZ wanted him back.

Draft options: M. Hooker, J. Adams, J. Peppers, one or two of them should be available by #13 in Round 1.

ILB: I don’t see Minter back. S. Moore was decent, but assuming they would like to upgrade. G. Hodges, ILB would be an upgrade for Coverage and should not break the free agent $ bank.

Draft options: H. Reddick in Round 2. (I don’t see R. Foster being there at #13)

DL: I don’t see C. Campbell back with AZ. Cards will need more than C. Peters as the veteran of the group. C. Long or M Hunt maybe worth a 2 year deal.

Special Teams: I see AZ bringing in another Kicker to compete with Catman. Maybe N. Folk would be an upgrade.

I would also look to sign a special teamer who could help, maybe a B. Trawick from Oak.

Maybe Keim would sign one prime time free agent, but I will expect more second tier players due to costs.

34. By clssylssy on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

In other words, Keim’s idea of “Aggressive in FA” means tagging C. Jones…same ole, same ole😤

35. By JTDG on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz,

Thanks for the explanation. All valid points, which I appreciate. I will say;

– I have watched Alabama and Jonathan Allen is the real deal. A taller version of Aaron Donald. Explosive. Would think he would excel at a 5 technique in a 3-4 or a 3 technique in a 4-3. I don’t see him as a 4-3 end. But I thought he was the best player in the country.

– As for Solomon Thomas, I haven’t seen him enough although Daniel Jeremiah loves him. Now he is a tweener. At 270, he isn’t a DT, but is he quick enough to bounce out at DE. Bottom line, if he can play, you figure it out.

– I am lost on the Corey Davis thing. He looks the part, yep. But he passed on the senior bowl and only has tape against the Toledo’s of the world. You have to prove it against real competition and him skipping the senior bowl hurt him in my eyes.

– Meanwhile, did you see Mike Williams going against one of the best CBs in college football in the championship game? Double teamed and still made plays. He has shown he can do it against elite competition.

Frankly, I take Zay Jones over Davis. After all he put together a great week against real competition during the senior bowl week and then was the best player on the field during the game.

– Deshaun Watson – Elite athlete with plus arm. All about winning and put his team on his back going against the best team in the country for the final drive. That has to account for something ?

– Sure, all the QBs are projects this year. That is why I wouldn’t take one with the number 1 pick. But a team like the cardinals, he could benefit from.

– As for Myles Garrett , I am sure you have heard the comparisons to Julius Peppers. He is big, strong and fast. Now usually, I would worry about lack of production against the elite teams except in his case. This guy was doubled and triple teamed. But read the article below.

This is the elite player in the draft.

36. By JTDG on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

clssylssy,

Killer Defense;

Oh I believe in it too. So, what potentially will this defense be best at?
    We have two very good pass rushers. We have a SS who will drop into the slot and cover a receiver or blitz off the edge, and good cover safeties.

With the addition of another starting CB, which I have been preaching since 2 years ago, this team will be good against the pass.

Two ways to make teams become one dimensional. Be like the 2000 ravens and stuff the run or have an explosive offense that puts up the points. If teams are down by 14 points, they tend to abandon the run and start throwing, which should be our strength.

That forces a lot of 3 and outs, and allows the cards to slow the game down on our side by running DJ.

To get to this level, we need a center and guard like Mangold and Zeitler.
    We need another receiver in case the Browns do not rebound.

We need to resign Jefferson
    We also need another CB, which I have named 3 I would like ; Gilmore , Bouye, and kirkpatrick.

But being this may be the deepest draft in CBs, I would draft one also, especially one who can contribute to special teams ala Adore Jackson and play the slot if Badger goes down.

Will we do this? I know your answer. As a long time cardinals fan, I always just hope, like the woman waiting for her husband to come back after going out for milk 12 years ago.

37. By Dr. G. on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

We can never deny the draft is a crap-shoot…he’s my guy…BS! He’s not my guy; let’s wait for next year…BS!

Reality – He’s our dice roll and a prayer after we evaluate the tangibles and character. I mentioned Prescott earlier, and Darren today to be a “here’s hoping” 4th rounder ((135)) for insurance behind Romo. Another injury, and here comes Wally Pipp to surprise everyone in the league…a pearl in a million clams.

Despite unfair criticism, Keim needs to pick a QB every ÷%$&#€@ year until he finds the pearl to complete the battery…a long~term futures guy. We passed on a number of QB starters in recent years…we all know who they are.

Palmer+Stanton=70 years …… Is Dysart the guy? We need another arm for camp…roll the bones for a logical QB pick. Don’t put it off…! Who knows?

Be well Cards fans…

38. By clssylssy on Mar 2, 2017 | Reply

Dr. G…
    You are right about one thing…the draft is crap shoot when you live in Cardinal land.. However, it really diesn’t matter who Keim takes for a QB since we lack the infastructure to develop anyone. Too bad the event doesn’t include scouting new ftont office and coaching personnel (or maybe it does🤔)
    I’m not a big fan of the Columbine anymore either & view it as a mere NFL marketing avenue & oppportunity for the front office to whoop it up while grabbing face time. As JTDG said, the imortant stuff all happens away from the media, so I guess the excitement boils down to seeing if anyone breaks Chris Johnson’s record and wins their own personal private island?

39. By Scott H on Mar 2, 2017 | Reply

Honestly, and it sounds ridiculous coming from someone who loves football as much as I do, but…..I don’t even know if you could pay me to watch the combine. I just find it painful. Guess it’s a good thing there are people who DO love it!

2. Feb 25, 2017: Fifth-Round Comp Pick For Cardinals – Arizona Cardinals News