Keim time at the Combine

Posted by Darren Urban on February 28, 2017 – 11:09 am

Steve Keim is headed to his 19th Scouting combine. A GM now, Keim started as an area scout, has his roots in scouting and still enjoys the evaluation process of college prospects most of all. It’s one of the reasons he likes heading to Indianapolis each year.

“It brings everything full circle, and it reminds me of why I got in this business,” Keim said. “Sometimes, in this position (of GM), you get pulled in a lot of different directions. And I have said many times, you feel like one of things you do well and that put you in this position, is one of the things you do the least nowadays.”

Indy is the place that truly seems to be the kickoff of the new league year. Officially, the new league year (and free agency) begins March 9, but this is really when talk of the new season, and the draft, begins in earnest. The Cards are sending 64 total staff out there to assess various things: Potential draftees, situations with impending free agents, medical updates. It’s the off-field stuff — the medical and the interviews — that are the most important. Everyone has seen these kids play, and what they can do on the field. It’s so much about projection in that regard anyway. Part of that projection is whether the guy can hold up mentally, on the field, in the classroom, in the locker room (and also stay healthy — again, the medical part).

It’s also a time for Keim to speak face-to-face with the agents of impending free agents, most notably those of safety Tony Jefferson and defensive lineman Calais Campbell. Time is running out before free agency. Things are going to move quickly here, and rosters for 2017 will begin to take shape.

David Johnson

Tags: ,

25 Responses to “Keim time at the Combine”

1. By Dr. G. on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

Imperatives: CB, DT, S, P, WR & ((a shrink for ‘Zaro))

Necessary Desires: QB, QB, QB

Looking to the combine ~ always a sleeper in the draft…ala DakP.

Cards Fans – best of the league… Darren – best league media man…

2. By JTDG on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

“It’s also a time for Keim to speak face-to-face with the agents of impending free agents, most notably those of safety Tony Jefferson and defensive lineman Calais Campbell”

Why couldn’t they meet before? Is there a rule against it?

3. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Face to face

They have talked many, many, many times. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an in-person conversation or two, especially in season.

4. By D on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

So, with E. Berry passing the Honey Badger as highest paid S, that leaves Jefferson as the top free agent Safety soon to be on the market.. I wonder if Tony is on the phone today with his Realtor looking for Beach front property..

Darren, you in Indy yet?

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

D —

RE: Indy

I am here.

6. By JTDG on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

Not a huge fan of the combine.

The best parts are not aired. Love to hear GMs having dinner, discussing possible trades.
    Love to hear teams sit down with players and ask them questions.

Most of the drills and the 40 are a waste of time.
    I mean really, did it surprise everyone when JJ Nelson ran a 4.28 after watching him run back kicks or blow past a CB in college.
    Or
    When Boldin ran a 4.7 in the 40, did that mean he couldn’t get separation from a CB? Well, I would say his near HOF career might say different.

this time of year used to confuse me and I would get caught up in how fast or how strong someone was. But in reality, look at the game film. That is your best indication. If someone was good in January, they are still good and if someone was bad in January, they are still bad.

7. By JTDG on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

Face to Face;

So it is more of a last ditch effort face to face. When I read it above, it seemed to me that he finally gets a chance to talk face to face (which seemed crazy)

8. By joe holst on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

Kiss Tony Jefferson goodbye with Eric Berry at 6yr ,78 mil, , Jefferson up next looking at 5yr/ 45 million, the problem is these 2 safeties Swearinger and Jefferson had the best front 7 in the league with the Cards leading in sacks that it made their job a whole lot easier so good riddance.they are replaceable

9. By Scott H on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

Well, if they HAVE spoken many, many times…it appears what they agreed to was to not agree to anything. Where Campbell is concerned, it makes all the BUSINESS sense in the world for him to test the market. Why shouldn’t he?? He’s a stud defensive player, still in his prime ( but maybe only for another year or two), and he has a chance to land a big contract for maybe the last time in his career. It’s a great spot for him.

But not so great for the Cardinals. There would seem to be no reason this deal couldn’t have been done by now – IF Campbell were intent on staying a Cardinal but probably with a home-town discount. That didn’t happen because Campbell obviously wants to test the market. And I have to think once he gets out there….he’s probably gone.

This is NO criticism of Campbell, but….not everyone is Larry Fitzgerald. With Larry, EVERYONE was saying what they wanted and there was great confidence all around it would happen in good time. Then, always sooner than later, we got the good news. There really has been none of that with Campbell. And I’m not expecting the same happy ending!

10. By CARDS62 on Feb 28, 2017 | Reply

I know its hard to give up money and Larry and Carson definitely earn their pay, but I believe they are both playing for rings so maybe restructure their deals to delay some of their money and take the hit next year or couple of years down the road.

Really want CC back next year, but everything I read leads me to believe this will not happen. Reason is so many teams like his game and locker room presence so that he will get paid. Just does not seem to be enough money for everyone but really wish we could have signed C. Jones to a long term deal and tagged C. Campbell for 1 year Super Bowl Run.

Go Cards and great comments everyone.

11. By texascard on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

DU. Enuf with the Keim is going to draft well crap

12. By Eric G on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

Any speculation or mock drafts before free agency happens is worthless. Consensus is that the Cards will draft a CB, WR or QB in the first round. However, they could address two of those (CB and WR) in free agency, and eliminate the need to draft the position. I expect the Cards to sign a CB rather than draft one, and I hope they pick up a WR, thereby leaving the door wide open to draft a QB like Deshone Kizer if we are unbelievably lucky. .

13. By D on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

After listening to Mr. Keim and BA, sure sounds like they have the mindset of very likely of losing their top free agents, ie, Campbell and Jefferson. If BA believes M. Cooper will be expensive, then they better turn to the draft for another starting CB, because no way they will be able to afford other bigger names of CB’s in free agency.

14. By D on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

Total Available Cap:
    $171,405,068

Total Team Cap $:
    $147,746,103

New Cap Space after DWash would be released:
    $23,658,965

Total Savings by releasing DWash:
    $4,670,000

15. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

D —

RE: DWash

I am hesitant to list any actual detailed cap implications on DWash. I’d always cite where you are getting numbers.

16. By Don on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren, sorry if off topic but I heard both BA and Palmer really praise Dysart. What do you think? Any chance he can be a #2 this year talent wise?

17. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2017 | Reply

Don —

RE: Dysert

I think that’s a long shot. He’ll get a chance to show something this summer.

18. By JTDG on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

Just read this article from PFF. Do you think they have any insight or are they just guessing like the rest of us?

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Free agency

I think it’s pure guesswork, although the positions make sense.

20. By JTDG on Mar 1, 2017 | Reply

Joe Mixon is a guy with the skill set similar to DJ (something Keim said he is looking for)

The issue with Mixon is, he punch a women in 2014. We saw what happened to Ray Rice, The argument for this kid is, no issues since 2014.

With Keim taking Badger and Nkemdiche, do you think Keim would consider Mixon?

Not sure if you can ask him, but I would be curious.

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Mixon

I would be shocked and stunned if they took Mixon. And frankly, I think it’s unfair to Tyrann and Robert to compare their situations to Mixon.

22. By Fred Garvin on Mar 2, 2017 | Reply

A little off topic – I’m just so disgusted with the #2 defense and #9 offense resulting in a 7-8-1 record, so I did some simple stat comparison about last season. Offensive yards minus defensive yards, Cards came in first – record 14-2. Offensive scoring minus defensive scoring, Cards came in seventh – record 11-5. Turnover differential, Cards were # 17, middle of the pack – record 8-8. And that’s where their record put them. A plus rating on turnover differential is a HUGE key to winning games.

23. By JTDG on Mar 2, 2017 | Reply

Mixon;

I am not comparing what they did. (and I do not have all the details of Mixon’s offense)

I am simply stating that Badger and Nkemdiche were taken off many teams boards all together. I would imagine the same would be said about Mixon.

Other teams , in no way, would take those two players that Keim took in the draft. Correct? So it is fair to compare their situations when preparing for the draft.

I also heard a great argument from Heath Evans and Deion Sanders, who in no way condoned what Mixon did, said he hasn’t done anything wrong since 2014 and if he has turned it around and changed, doesn’t he deserve another chance?

I would think, if a young man gets help and turns his life around, whether it was drugs or violence, he can be given a second chance. Do you not feel that way?

24. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Mixon

Well, he did do something wrong just this year to be suspended for a game.

As for second chances, yes, I believe in those generally. I don’t know enough about Mixon. I do believe that if Mixon wasn’t so talented, no one would be asking for the guy to get a second chance, because no one would think that much of it. Let’s not turn this into something honorable. It’s because the dude can play football. And if I was an owner, I would very much distinguish between Mathieu/Nkemdiche and Mixon.

25. By JTDG on Mar 2, 2017 | Reply

Interesting how I got some thumbs down regarding Sam Darnold as the best QB I have seen in college football.

So there is this coming out;
    USC’s Sam Darnold — won’t be eligible for the draft until 2018, at the earliest, but he’s by far the most talked about player in Indy, an NFL executive told NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah.

Click on the link and read the article.

I have been saying this is the guy. The next Andrew Luck. I just do not know if the cards will have the “juice” to be able to trade up to number 1 in 2018.
    If I was the browns, I would go all defense and oline and run Cody Kessler out there again. take my lumps and then draft Darnold next year.