Bidwill, potential Cards and second chances

Posted by Darren Urban on March 3, 2017 – 10:52 am

This year more than any other, potential NFL draftees with off-field red flags have been highlighted here at the Scouting combine, in large part because some are not here. The NFL didn’t invite a few players who normally would have been otherwise if it weren’t for off-field trouble. That has generated mixed reviews from NFL people, although Cardinals president Michael Bidwill said he was glad to see it and send the message the NFL is “not messing around with this.”

(My full chat with Bidwill will be posted Monday on azcardinals.com.)

The Cardinals haven’t shied away from drafting players with off-field question marks, however. They’ve shown that with Tyrann Mathieu and Robert Nkemdiche. Bidwill, as owner, has the ultimate say over who will stay available on the Cards’ draft board, and who will not.

“It started with my grandfather and my father, and I am following in their footsteps, that we’re not going to have bad character guys,” Bidwill said. “That doesn’t mean that people don’t make mistakes, in college especially. They are kids. They are 18 when they get to college. We should give people a second chance if they are truly earnest about turning their life around. That’s my role, to make that decision. They push those decisions up to me.

“There are clearly some kids still getting in trouble their junior, senior year that look like they are going to have a chronic problem and I don’t want to waste my time talking to them.”

Still, Bidwill said, there are players that the football side will “bring to me and say, ‘We want to try and convince you.’ ” One was Mathieu, who was aided in Patrick Peterson’s willingness to stand on the table and vouch for Mathieu. Nkemdiche went through a number of interviews with the Cards last year, including a sit-down with Bidwill. Whether any potential Card falls into that category this year, that’s what these next couple of months are for.

pv7_2082

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “Bidwill, potential Cards and second chances”

1. By Lloyd Wolf on Mar 3, 2017 | Reply

Smart approach…did I hear someone say Joe Mixon??? He would have
    to pass muster many times for Cards to take him…but if they do he is one
    heckuva ballplayer. First round talent…hopefully not a FA mind!

2. By JTDG on Mar 3, 2017 | Reply

I’ll continue my comments about Joe Mixon.

A 18 year old RB for Oklahoma in 2014, was somehow in an argument in a coffee shop. According to Mixon, the other players were smart enough to walk away. Mixon was not. The women comes out of her chair and shoves him and he responds by hitting her.

Mixon appolgized, went through 1000 hours of community service, councilling , and was suspended for a year. There have been no known acts of violence since then that Mixon has done. There was no drugs or alcohol involved.

Since then, Mixon was suspended 1 game because he was given a parking ticket and he tore it up in front of the officer. (Something I did when I went to college). The officer reported the incident and Mixon was suspended 1 game. Doubt if he would have been suspended had the first incident not happened.

Interesting, Mixon fits exactly what Mr Bidwill said above. A 18 yr old kid, who did something wrong, paid the price, and has seemed to corrected his behavior.

If interviews go well, seems draftable to me.

On the field, this guy is a David Johnson Clone, who could benefit being around David.

3. By Lloyd Wolf on Mar 3, 2017 | Reply

spot on….but guess what….he ain’t no secret!!

4. By D on Mar 3, 2017 | Reply

With as many needs/holes as AZ has for 2017, limited CAP $, they need to get this draft right. Which means, I hope they do not take a QB in Round 1.

Needs
    CB, S, RG, TE, WR, future QB and back up RB etc.

I see Mr. Keim bargain shopping towards the end of March in free agency, but we won’t see any bargains out there until most teams over pay for free agents the first 10 days of the madness. $7-$10 million for good starting Guards, WRs and CB’s are too expensive for AZ right now.

The other issue on the roster, besides DWash, there isn’t many contracts they can go to and release due to current needs or re-structure to save additional CAP space..I would guess PP maybe one player that they could explore for relief.

I am almost hoping AZ has a chance to move down 5-9 spots to gain more draft picks besides the 2 current 5th rounders.

5. By D on Mar 3, 2017 | Reply

and ILB!

Darren-

St. Elmo’s or Shula’s ?
    Both have good eats.

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 4, 2017 | Reply

D —

RE: Indy food

I usually skip St Elmo’s, never been to Shula’s. Indy has some other good restaurants we often hit up.

7. By Don on Mar 3, 2017 | Reply

Mixon. So a 6′ 1″ 226# man closed fist punches a woman who pushed him, didn’t hit him just pushed him. His friends were smart enough to walk away. Sounds like poor decision making and anger management problems to me. He ignored the rules and got a ticket “decision making”? He lost his temper and tore up the ticket. “anger issues, decision making”? HB and Nkemdiche got high. Big difference in severity and type of issues. Besides if Cards drafted him BA would end up cutting him for ignoring the parking rules.

8. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 4, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    Since combine is going on is Clemson QB Watson more of a reality for the cardinals or do u see is future somewhere els?

9. By Darren Urban on Mar 4, 2017 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: Watson

I know you want them to get Watson. Still early. We’ll see.

10. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 4, 2017 | Reply

Watson also said he has good luck he always has played a great game in Arizona

11. By lloyd r wolf on Mar 4, 2017 | Reply

I believe team has more immediate needs through draft
    Must pick up f/a guard and db as well….suddenly wides are very questionable for a variety of reasons

12. By PAcardsfan on Mar 5, 2017 | Reply

Darren, I know this is a little off topic, but what our thoughts on the Cardinals going after Danny Woodhead? I know he is coming off a serious injury, but this guy has the speed and hands that would be a nice fit to go along with DJ and the Cardinals love to throw, plus the guy has a lot of heart, as you can see in his performance.

13. By Darren Urban on Mar 6, 2017 | Reply

PAcards —

RE: Woodhead

I guess I wouldn’t rule it out. If you signed him, though, that would probably mean the end for Kerwynn Williams.