John Ross topples CJ2K’s 40 record

Posted by Darren Urban on March 4, 2017 – 11:58 am

Chris Johnson has long been proud of his record 40-yard dash time at the Scouting combine. His 4.24 at the 2008 combine has been the benchmark that is annually talked about when the NFL and its potential draftees go to Indianapolis this time of year. University of Washington wide receiver John Ross turned lots of heads Saturday morning when he ran the 40 in 4.22 seconds, drawing an audible reaction in the media room here at the Convention Center.

It was unofficial at first. When it became the official time about 45 minutes later, Johnson was no longer the record-holder.

Ross, talking to the media Friday, said he had been “gifted with speed.” And he was asked specifically about breaking Johnson’s record.

“I’m going to try, I’m going to try,” said Ross, who noted his fastest time previous was 4.3. “I don’t want to say too much, but I’m going to try. I’ll give it a shot.”

Johnson, on Twitter, certainly noticed.

Johnson had a good run. (Pun intended.)

(Speaking of CJ2K, coach Bruce Arians said he hoped the Cardinals could re-sign Johnson, who is about to become a free agent again.)

rosscj2k

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “John Ross topples CJ2K’s 40 record”

1. By clssylssy on Mar 4, 2017 | Reply

Wow… that is a record to be proud of standing since 2008! Sure hope to see Chris in Cardinal red this season as he is one of my favorite players and has been a great asset for practically no money. Not too many little guys are as scrappy as Chris, who knows how to find the skinny routes & is never afraid to put his face in the fire!

2. By steve on Mar 4, 2017 | Reply

Darren: Have you heard any buzz about which QB the Cards might like or are interested in talking to from anyone? Any inside info you can share?

3. By Darren Urban on Mar 4, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: QBs

They will talk to them all. I’ll have a post Sunday morning.

4. By Steve88 on Mar 4, 2017 | Reply

Right now it looks like Miami’s qb Brad Kaaya would probably be a great consideration for Arizona in the 2nd round. Some of the variables are obviously whether DeShawn Watson is available at #13, he’ll never get past the Jets at #6 so he won’t be there. The other possibility is that Kaaya, coming off a very impressive performance in the passing drills at the Combine, lights it up during his Pro Day and vaults into the 18- 27 spots of the 1st round.
    My most educated guess is that neither player is in our range to be able to move up and draft either one of them.

5. By shannon robinson on Mar 5, 2017 | Reply

Chris Johnson is a true gentleman. A Tip of the Cardinals’ Wing to CJ2K!

6. By steve on Mar 5, 2017 | Reply

I watched the combine on tv and saw all the QBs throw and run. I liked Watson’s workout but I don’t think he throws the deep ball well enough and accurate enough for BA’s system. Kaaya arm strength to me is not strong enough for our system though I thought his footwork was the best of all the QB’s. Kizer looks the part but the more I watch him, the more I see another Logan Thomas, great arm and size but just not accurate enough. I believe there are 4 QB’s in this draft that fit our system, Mitchell Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Davis Webb and Chad Kelly. I think Trubisky and Mahomes go in the first rd with Watson a possible late 1st, early second rdr, Webb probably goes between 2-4 and Kelly between 5-7. If it was up to me, I would take Mahomes in a second and let him grow and learn behind Palmer for 1,2 seasons, clean up his footwork and let him develop. He is a gunslinger but he checks off all the boxes for arm strength, mobility, touch and deep ball accuracy, a guy who loves football.

7. By faster on Mar 5, 2017 | Reply

the pats need a first round pick better then the 14th pick to get brandin cooks. wouldn`t that be a great possibility for a trade?
    the 13th for two frist round picks from the pats?

8. By joe holst on Mar 5, 2017 | Reply

With the 13th pick in the NLF Draft the Arizona Cardinals select John Ross, -he could fill several returning needs ….

9. By dkerry5242 on Mar 5, 2017 | Reply

We have to re-sign CJ. He still has plenty left in the tank.

10. By Big Ken on Mar 6, 2017 | Reply

@faster it would cost the Pat’s more than that to get the Cardinal’s first rounder. Oh! How about two first rounders and Jimmy G?