Campbell, Jefferson close to new addresses

Posted by Darren Urban on March 8, 2017 – 9:32 pm

Nothing can happen before 2 p.m. Thursday, but the expected — that Calais Campbell and Tony Jefferson would be signing elsewhere as free agents — is close to happening, according to multiple reports Wednesday night. Campbell is expected to sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars, while Jefferson is expected to sign with the Baltimore Ravens. Jefferson reportedly could have gotten more money from Browns. Campbell was reportedly wooed also by Washington.

It’ll make for an interesting visit to University of Phoenix Stadium this coming season when the Jaguars visit Arizona for the first time in more than a decade.

Campbell and Jefferson aren’t gone yet. Nothing done at this point can be official. There is always a chance something could change at the last second — a la Frank Gore — but it looks like Campbell will be a Jag, Jefferson a Raven, and the Cardinals out two defensive starters.

Tags: , , ,

44 Responses to “Campbell, Jefferson close to new addresses”

1. By CardsNation on Mar 8, 2017 | Reply

Campbell, the last player from our SuperBowl roster. He will be missed. It’s a starting of a new era. We are ready for the SuperBowl, I think we can do it next season. Need to make a splash in the draft and free agency.

2. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

CardsNation —

RE: Super Bowl roster

Fitz.

3. By bobby62914 on Mar 8, 2017 | Reply

Good Luck Mr. Campbell. I hoped you would remain a Cardinal but I wish you the best in whatever you do.

4. By Jon on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

The Jags. LMFAO. That should work out about as well as Dansby to the Browns.

I don’t fault the front office for this at all. If we really did offer him 10 million a year, that was more than fair. The guy is on the other side of thirty, and has been a solid but at times inconsistent player. The fact that he had a career year just before contract time in a losing season leaves a bad taste in my opinion and it speaks to what truly motivates the guy.

Could have had more money here than he or his great grandkids would have ever been able to spend in a lifetime. Instead, he chose to play out his last years on a team with no future.

See ya later Calias, I certainly understand the move but would be lying if I said I respected it. It is what it is…

5. By Infitzwetrust on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

It seems as if we’ve lost solid defensive players consecutively for the past few seasons but have still maintained a top tier unit. I have faith that trend will continue.

Funny how Tony shied away from Cleveland even though he could have made more cash. I know the money isn’t always everything, just ironic that team would have to be Cleveland. I was hoping to keep him regardless of the current backfield investment.

Sucks Calais turned down that 10mil per yr deal… Its an interesting dynamic how some players give hometown discounts or sign a team freindly deal with a contender and some just chase the money. Campbell will be retired long before the jags make any noise an at age 30 with this likely to be his last big payday, he must know winning anything in this league is out the window… The good ol money vs winning argument.

6. By Charley Shurtz on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

More power to Jefferson who came into the league as no-one and is getting what might have beem his otherwise but Campbell will be over paid and under perfom in my opinion. Jefferson can be who he is where ever he goes but I think Campbell will under perfom in Jacksonville without the kind of defense he has been playing on.

7. By mitchaz on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Hello 2018 compensatory picks!

Campbell had one foot out the door for a year now.

Funny thing about Jefferson—BA said the other day that “I hope he doesn’t lose that chip on his shoulder when he gets paid.” While I do believe TJ will keep that chip, the fact that this was on BA’s mind could be yet another indication that the Cardinals have never quite been sold on Jefferson as a core player.

People will say—but the Cardinals tried to re-sign both CC and TJ—but BA&SK knew all along what they were doing and they have been feigning interest in re-signing them to appease the fans.

I am not saying this is wrong (in light of the Monopoly money they are getting elsewhere)…but CC and TJ were the two best tacklers on the team last year on a team that does not tackle very well. Swearinger was the 3rd best…but rumors are they aren’t that high on keeping him either. The Cardinals have a plan—it will be interesting to see what it is.

8. By clssylssy on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Well, this totally sucks for the Cards defense but I am thrilled to see that Tony & Calais will get paid. The Ravens are my favorite AFC bird team with a rich history of the kind of tough defenses that win Superbowls and make football fans go wild–Harbaugh & Newsom have a great system & Tony will do well. The Jags are young but are making all the right moves & Calais will be a great addition to their defense as well as their community.Good luck fellas, you’ve earned you payday & have given much to the fans ion Arizona.
    Keim says “you can’t keep everybody” but JTDG has showed how we could do this more than once. Last season we were sub .500 largely due to Keim’s poor decisions & once again our defense is being gutted while he squanders the franchise tag on the same player who days later he hands a 5 year mega contract! I’m really getting tired of being a farm team, never able to afford our own players!

9. By shannon robinson on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

As BA says, ‘We never begrudge a good paycheck for one of our alumni.’ A Tip of the Cardinals’ Wing to two great players who lifted the Cardinals on their shoulders and took us a long way! We’ll miss both of you and will follow your success.

10. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Well, that didn’t take long.

OK, front office….what’s the plan for these holes in the D that you pretty much knew were coming?

11. By lloyd wolf on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Not great to lose two talents,,,but remember this…every team is losing players in this musical chairs game. Some talent is going to be standing without a chair to sit on and at that point they need a paycheck…let’s just see how well the team plays the game when the music stops. I like very much the way BA/SK play the game insofar as keeping things close to the vest on what is going on. The only thing I noticed is when something does leak out..vis a vis hard negotiation with CJ…good things happen more often than not.

12. By kevintobeygop on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

expected both those to land on new teams. We have the talent to fell Campbell’s spot but Jefferson will be hard to fell. Would love to get Dont’a Hightower and Logan Ryan

13. By Christian on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Campbell will be replaced by Gunter or Nkemdiche. That was the draft plan, and I think Nkem will be much improved after another offseason.

Hard to guess where TJ’s replacement comes from. The hope is probably that Badger will take back his hard-hitting role (if he can maintain it) and Branch will become a deep-field roamer.

While I’m sure insurance policies will be added, I think this is the plan going forward. I will miss both players, but it looks like Keim has been preparing for this moment.

14. By Cardinalfan4life on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Micah Hyde ,Dont’a Hightower and Logan Ryan would be great fits to our defense.
    We need to get a QB been a fan for other 30 years and love Palmer but he is set to retire we need to acquire another topnotch QB.

15. By Christian on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Oh, and don’t forget Pierre. Haven’t seen much, but I’m excited about that guy

16. By Charley Shurtz on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

I guess some of you think CC will go to the Jags and then be the entire defense. I am glad he can get money for his vtalent cause in a few years his paycheck will be greatly reduced or gone but I do not think in the Jags scheme he will do as well because of he type of D the Cards have and that of the Jags. CC just will not be able to play at the same level with his new team imho. Congrats on a pay raise though CC. It is also after all a business world that fans often forget.

17. By D on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Good thing the draft is deep on Defense this year.

Holes to fill – ILB, RG, S, CB

Williams, Nkemdiche, Gunter will need to step up along the Dline with Peters and Mauro in 2017

At S & CB, they have hopefully a healthy Honey badger, Branch, and at CB Bethel and Williams to compete. They will need some depth at those two positions losing Jefferson and possibility of losing Swearinger and Cooper…but the bigger holes are ILB and RG…

18. By dkerry5242 on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Could/ would the Cards consider moving the Franchise tag to Campbell if the reported deal with Jones gets signed today?

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

dkerry —

RE: Tag

Can’t do that. One tag per season. And deadline to tag someone was March 1.

20. By Kevin S Mesa on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Someone says above that Calais will be gone before the Jags make any noise…

Do people forget how fast things change in the NFL?

Falcons go from 8-8 to Super Bowl. Panthers go from 15-1 to 6-10 and last place. Our own Cards go from 13-3 to 7-8-1.

I think it’s probably relatively safe to say the Jags won’t be contenders this year, but 3-4 years from now? Other than predicting that the Patriots will probably still be in the hunt as long as Belichick is still around, you can’t make ANY safe predictions about the NFL that far into the future.

21. By clssylssy on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Our defense was shaky to begin with and now we have even MORE holes, holfing our breath that guys who were out of favor last season will miraculously become probowlers overnight. Yes, there is talent out there largely because those players want to get paid, something the Cards aren’t known for. HB has been injured most of the last two years so, he too is a bit of a wildcard.
    I seem to remember Mr Bidwill saying we were going to focus on filling holes and shoring up areas of weakness but the dismantling of our defense??? I think fans took for granted the importance of having a 6’8″, 300 lb lineman capable of batting down balls & being a wall by himself. Remembering how long it took for our players to not only learn the playbook but develop chemistry, I have to wonder who’s driving this car? Fans deserve better than sub .500 seasons!

22. By Eric G on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Cannot blame either player for going for the big payday, this is a brutal sport, get it while you can. Each and everyone of us would have done the same in their position. Good luck with your new teams.

23. By JTDG on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

The Jags have gone out and signed Campbell to go with Malik Jackson and now are on the verge of signing Bouye to partner with Jalen Ramsey.

They also grabbed underrated Barry Church at safety to join Tashaun Gibson. They have two young edge rushers in Fowler and NgaKoue, good inside LBs.
    This defense could be good.

Looks like they are gearing up at pick number 4 for Leonard Fournette. With Bortles and the Allen’s at receiver, they could really be a surprise team.

So, thinking Campbell made a bad move, I strongly disagree.

24. By JTDG on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

So, the Patriots win the Superbowl. Every year they are a contender.
    They have a plan and seem to do what other teams can’t.

The Patriots have traded for Dwayne Allen to pair up with Gronk at TE and now are expected to sign Stephan Gilmore.

Now rumors are circling that Brady could have a new weapon in Braddin Cooks. The pats are close to trading Malcom Butler to saints for Cooks. So, if Edelman wasn’t enough in the slot, Brady has a burner to play with now and a pair of TEs that can kill you in the seams.

The Patriots find paying Gilmore a better choice and Butler would be a FA next year. So, here they go again, getting value on guys they will let go.

Nobody does the offseason better than Bilichick. No one.

25. By Charley Shurtz on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Maybe CC did not make a bad move, the pieces are there could be interesting what would a Jags Cards Super Bowl look like?

26. By JTDG on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports that the Cardinals have reached an agreement on a three-year deal with veteran S Antoine Bethea.

So the 32 year old Bethea is the cards answer for safety after losing Jefferson and Swearinger.

In 2016, Bethea appeared in all 16 games for the 49ers and recorded 110 tackles, one interception, a forced fumble, a recovery and four pass defenses.

27. By NorCalCardinalsFan on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    Would the Cardinals be in play for Josh Gordon for a 4th round draft pick trade scenario? Or has the D Wash predicament ruin any hope for a move like it?

28. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

NorCal —

RE: Josh Gordon

Nope.

29. By Christian on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Funny how things change here. I remember people clamoring last offseason for us to release Campbell. Now it’s the end of the team because we couldn’t keep him.

We have to hope our young players will step up. Also, we should have improved CB play this season just due to experience and health (and that’s before the possibility of adding someone like Amukamara or some of the draftable CBs).

30. By D on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

A kicker almost as old as Urban? I hear phil is a good guy..

31. By Big Ken on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Jags snatched Campbell out of Denver’s hands. Lol Good for Calias and Tony Jefferson. Contracts well deserved.

32. By Big Ken on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Shipley signs a two year deal, an appropriate signing. I know he’s not stellar.

33. By Big Ken on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Well with Chandler Jones ‘inked’ I guess it’s time to go shop’n!

34. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Jones

Jones is not inked. Deal is not done.

35. By Dominik on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Zeitler to the Browns
    Leary to the Broncos
    Warford to the Saints

The top 3 RG are gone. And the cards?
    Any possibilities that they eyeing on Forrest Lamp at #13?

Jags ‘ll pay CC $60M for 4years, nice one for him, too much for us!

Darren, let us know the structure of Betheas contract?..

36. By JTDG on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Mike Jurecki reporting that Dansby wants to come back to the cards.

I would be all in for that move. He still can play. He can play the run, blitz and still cover.

I would love this move. taking care of the inside spot vacant from Minter. You still could draft a LB but now you can wait to round 3 or 4.

Make it happen Keim.

37. By Big Ken on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Darren- Saw it on Rotoworld, reported by Jason La Canfora, twitter, ect.

38. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Jones

I’m sure. I’m in the building. I talk to people too. I’m not saying it won’t be done. I’m saying it’s not done yet.

39. By JTDG on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

The Texans and Browns find a creative way to work the cap.

The Texans give Brock and a 2nd rounder to browns. The browns in turn take the cap hit. The Texans have cap room now to sign Tony Romo.
    While the browns plan on releasing Brock.

So, if Brock is released, do the cards kick the tires? Assuming he isn’t getting offers elsewhere for bucks.

40. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Damn…my man, Calais, got PAID!!! Looks like he is stepping into what is becoming a loaded defense, too. It is going to be strange to be without him this year.

41. By D on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Wow, this team got OLD today.

42. By clssylssy on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

Calais did ok and no state taxes in Florida which would have been another $600 thousand off what Denver was offering! Happy for both these guys but nothing Keim’s done today will come close to repairing the damage.
    Lot’s of excitement around the league today, just none of it in Arizona! Dansby for his third tour, makes me feel he must be desperate as he’s never been known to be a “team first” player. I guess Keim is consistent?😩

43. By CARDS62 on Mar 9, 2017 | Reply

I moved to Jacksonville three years ago. You can get good seats on game day for $20. Jags will not be good until they find a QB. Bortles stats are misleading. He only plays well when Jags are behind by a large margin. Jags do have a great owner with a lot of money who really wants a winning team. Owner is trying but do not know how good GM is, and they just fired their head coach formerly DC Seattle

CC played college ball at Miami so I think this is part of his decision making process. I will try to see CC and thank him for his service to Cardinal Nation, but then give him a hard time for leaving before we earn our Super Bowl Victory.

Interesting what Cleveland is doing, but no way I give up my picks for NE backup QB just keep Osweiler for a year or get Cutler for nothing.

Brandon Marshall would have been a nice pickup, but I do not think he wanted to leave NY. I hope we try to sign Terrell Pryor if asking price is not too high.
    My gut is telling me we do not sign any big name free agents early and try to get a few free agents after the draft.

I wounder if Fitz and Palmer will be willing to give up a few bucks to help us put together a championship roster?

I was surprised to see that Fitz salary is more than Patrick Peterson for 2017.
    Also surprised to see that our long snapper Aaron Brewer, makes more money than our DE Josh Mauro.

Go Cards!