Minter replaces Dansby who replaced Minter

Posted by Darren Urban on March 18, 2017 – 3:18 pm

Once Karlos Dansby came back to the Cardinals (“Three-down linebacker? Man, I’m one interception away from being a legend, man”), it was clear Kevin Minter would be moving on. Minter did Saturday, reportedly agreeing to a deal with the Bengals. While Minter got better over his four years, the Cardinals were still looking to upgrade. We will see if Dansby — who turns 36 during the season and is 10 years older than Minter — is that answer, although I will not be surprised to see the Cardinals address the position in the draft.

It’s interesting that Minter is going to Cincinnati, where he will ostensibly replace Dansby, who is obviously replacing him. And then, to think back to 2013, when Minter was a second-round pick (and basically ignored that night, because the third-round pick was Tyrann Mathieu) and then lost out on a chance to start next to Daryl Washington when Dansby was signed for tenure No. 2 in Arizona.

So the Cardinals saw Dansby in Cincy and believed him better than Minter. And the Bengals didn’t worry about losing Dansby and see Minter as a replacement. I’ll miss Minter, who became a go-to guy in the locker room and was willing to avoid sugarcoating stuff, especially when things didn’t go well last season.

Out of nine 2013 draft picks, the Cardinals have two left — Mathieu and Andre Ellington, with Stepfan Taylor still a free agent.

Tags: , , ,

33 Responses to “Minter replaces Dansby who replaced Minter”

1. By Christian on Mar 18, 2017 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think Taylor comes back for ST purposes? I would like to see it happen, but I understand if that isn’t happening with Bethel and a possible draft pick for ST specialists.

2. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2017 | Reply

Christian —

RE: Taylor

I wouldn’t rule it out but it might be a post-draft thing depending on what happens there.

3. By georgiebird on Mar 18, 2017 | Reply

CC, Minter and CJ are all good players but none of them is a championship player. None of them are guys that an OC stays up at night trying to game plan against.
    My concern is the Cardinals are losing pretty good players and replacing them with equal talent or lesser talent.
    The defense was porous against the better teams-I fail to see the improvement even though some money was saved.
    The Cardinals weren’t winning a SB with the talent level of CC, TJ and Minter.
    But when is the talent level on defense going to be raised to a level to merit playoff football.

4. By Corgon on Mar 18, 2017 | Reply

There is no word how curious I’m about Keim’s end game here. Especially about the secondary and the o-line. I can’t imagion filling up this groups from the draft could be a viable option. I’m sure he’s now waiting and just preparing the field for some movements. I just hope it will not going to blow to our face.

5. By Big Ken on Mar 18, 2017 | Reply

Sio Moore looked promising. No news?

6. By LadyBird04 on Mar 19, 2017 | Reply

Minter was a very solid player for the Cards, on the field, off-field and in the locker room. Nothing flashy, either good or bad – just solid and dependable. I wish him well and hope this is the best opportunity for him.

As Darren said, he was overshadowed his rookie year by Tyrann and the addition of Dansby basically put his progress on the back burner. His second season he played the whole year in a harness because of a torn bicep or tricep muscle (I’m not sure which). So his first two years were a struggle.

Good Luck with the Bengals, Kevin.

7. By Martin on Mar 19, 2017 | Reply

Darren-

you think letting Minter go is a sign, that the Cardinals will take Reuben Foster in the first round if he is still available at #13?

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 19, 2017 | Reply

Martin —

RE: Foster

I think it’s a sign they look to draft an inside linebacker. We’ll see if Foster is an option.

9. By mitchaz on Mar 19, 2017 | Reply

Day 10 of FA

Defections:

LB Kevin Minter—it will be interesting to see whether the Bengals of the Cardinals got the better of this LB swap of Minter and Dansby. At first glance, Minter becomes the Bengals’ starter at 43 SLB, where is he is likely to be productive in terms of tackles, but a possible liability in coverage. On the flip side, as the Cardinals’ 34 ILB, Dansby will have to prove that he can be a downhill tackler from the inside, that he can blow up screens and that he can blitz with authority. He should be an upgrade in pass coverage, even though some Bengals’ fans are maintaining that Dansby played slower than expected last year.

Additions:

None

Scheduled UFA Visits and/or Team Interest:

Darren, any rumored interest in UFAs??? Anyone hear of anything???

10. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 19, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    Ugh they did not need to loose there defense that means drafting defense is an option more than Watson 😑

11. By Scott H on Mar 19, 2017 | Reply

Another solid player departs. We are going to need a line-up card for the defense on opening day to know who’s on the field.

12. By JTDG on Mar 19, 2017 | Reply

The Browns have pro bowl CB Joe Haden. Last year, they looked to move him before the trade deadline.

Now, if you took on the 27 yr old Haden’s contract, it would be 3 years 33 million dollars (11 million a year) with no signing bonuses or guaranteed money by the new team.

That is much more inexpensive than Gilmore or Bouye.

With the amount of CBs in this draft, the Browns are looking to draft a CB and move Haden.

I think this trade would make perfect sense. The cards have between 17 and 20 million currently. Adding Haden would add 11 million to the cap, but there are players you could move to free up a little more cap room.

I think the cards are moving forward with both the olines and dlines that they have (plus possible draft picks). I think they have the starters on defense at LBs and DBs and would seek depth in draft (if they made this trade).

I am not sure who they will spend money on in free agency. You arent going to pocket that money. And let’s face it, the two best moves Keim has made have been trades (Palmer and Jones)

So, a second round pick for Haden should be a no brainer. I think this is the answer to CB2.

13. By Scott H on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

As Darren points on, Minter had a candor to him that I appreciated as well. When things were not going well last season, it was nice to hear someone from the locker room point that out and speak to it. It was certainly preferable to listening to our QB say how he liked where we were, as the season was going down the tubes. IMHO, Minter clearly had a better take on what was happening and I DID appreciate that he was not afraid to say it.

My kinda guy!

Darren – as honest as you are willing to be, do you really think the team was expecting THIS extent of turnover on defense??? The exodus that has taken place just seems a bit much for a team that was as close as the Cardinals were in 2015. When that same team falls back to 7-9 ( from 13-3 ) the following year, then loses so many key pieces on defense going into 2017….really, I’m not the only one with raised eyebrows here.

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Turnover

There were going to be significant changes. I think they were ready to try and upgrade from Minter. They knew Jefferson and Campbell were going to get more than they were willing to pay. I think they hoped to get Swearinger — once Jefferson left — and Cooper back, but in the latter’s case, I think they were going to try and upgrade there anyway and they certainly weren’t going to give him $8M gtd.

15. By mitchaz on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

I went into tis mock with a specific purpose — to find similar players to replace the ones the Cardinals lost via FA.

1. Calais Campbell/Alex Okafor — Taco Charlton (6-6, 275. Michigan) — can play inside or on the edge — has excellent length and rush ability — makes Cardinals 4 man pass rush potentially elite

2. Tony Jefferson/D.J. Swearinger — Justin Evans (6-0, 193, Texas A&M) — big-time hitter who can excel in the box and has excellent range and toughness at FS

3. Chris Johnson — James Conner (6-2, 233, Pittsburgh) — powerful and skilled, good receiver — would be great compliment to DJ

4. Kevin Minter — Anthony Walker, Jr (6-1, 235, Northwestern). — Walker is a downhill tackler and he’s good in coverage

5. Marcus Cooper — Damontae Kazee (5-10, 184, San Diego St.) — plays very good off-coverage, has nose for the ball, unlike Cooper he’s a big-time hitter — superb on STs

5. Michael Floyd — Josh Reynolds (6-3, 205, Texas A7M) — good size, speed and 50/50 catch ability

6. Drew Stanton — Chad Kelly (6-2, 225. Mississippi)– could be the steal of the draft if he is hungry and dedicated

7. Tony Jefferson — Matt Milano (6-2, 225, Boston College) — I think he’s a SS in the NFL — very disruptive, TFL type player.

16. By clssylssy on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

It seems that in our system ,there is such a steep learning curve that just as players begin to mesh and become effective, it’s time to ship them on to a team that can see the fruits of our labor, as we begin again. Maybe we need to simplify our playbook to allow for players to not only get on the field sooner, but become proficient quicker, and also allow for a churning of the roster to keep it competitive and fresh. You see this in your Championship teams.
    I hate to loose another member of our defense that is already full of holes and lacking in leadership. While every team in the league is focusing on building tougher and better defenses, Keim has effectively gutted ours. The idea of replacing everyone through the draft and still building an 0-line to protect Palmer is laughable when considering the job he’s done already at evaluating talent as starters and impact players. Minter was solid and improving, and, best of all, he knew what his job was. I have a feeling the Bengals got the best end of this “swap” and so did Kevin Minter.

17. By D on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

Can’t believe the draft is still over 30 days away. With the amount of holes/areas to fill on this roster, I think the chances, if available for Mr. Keim, will be to move down in the draft to add additional draft picks. If a R. Foster or M. Lattimore , maybe a M. Williams is not on the board at #13, I could see Keim try to move down in the first round because one or more of the following should be still available 17-20 range…H. Reddick, ILB, a Starting CB, F. Lamp OL, P. Mahomes QB.

Available free agents as of this morning, DB, L. Webb, RB R. Jennings, OG J. Evans.

18. By MichaelfromSTL on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

Hey Darren, and fans. Don’t comment much anymore, so this will be long

I usually make suggestions on players Id hope to find a way on the roster through draft and free agency every year since Whisenhunt took over, but haven’t found much need to attempt to voice an idea with how the front office has taken care of business. This is just for fun, but I don’t pay much attention to college football anymore, so sticking with what’s left of potential free agents. Also, the cap never really makes to much sense to me, I’ve guess it would be best for the team in “cap room space” to just give the player guaranteed money, pending on the players caliber and morality.

Defensively the cardinals are sound, besides the possibility Peterson is the only reliable corner, and that the safety play may fall off with Jefferson/Swearinger gone, and Mathieu still returning to form. There’s hope in Bethel/Branch being free of injury, Williams/Miller improving more, and the Bethea signing helps provide veteran mindset in the backfield, but the Cardinals are in the mindset of Super Bowl or nothing. I was somewhat surprised by the signing of Dawson, Bc I thought Catman would’ve been given another year, but in my mind 3 points shouldn’t come down to being a possibly for a Super Bowl contender, and the Cardinals are providing exactly what they need to make 3 points a certainty. Just like the defense needs with the secondary somewhat.

I suggested picking up linebacker Zach Brown last year, because wasn’t too keen on leaning Minter. Brown may be improbable to pick up, and Minter departure sort of comes to a surprise, bc I’ve always liked Dansby play, but another LB needs to be picked up in-which having a guy like minter who’s been on the team is key to avoid mental errors on the field. So hoping the Cardinals are able to find a player worthy through free agency first, before trusting in the draft. Still wondering if/when coaching staff/Buccanon will consider a switch to playing more Strong side safety or other secondary roles. Maybe just be a hybrid defender like Mathieu in a sense.

I’m jumbled in a way, bc I know to help the secondary=improve the already improved pass rush, and I’m terrible at writing a complete thought, but..

Hoping the Cardinals take strong looks (while dissecting injury history, $$$ involved, scheme or role to fit) at Zach Brown, Dwight Freeney, Chris Long, Mario Williams, Trent Cole, Paul Kruger, Sam Acho, Elvis Dummervill, Tyson Alualu, Rashad Johnson, Jerraud Powers, Brandon Spikes, Anquan Boldin, Sam Shields, Manti Teo, Ladarius Webb, Patrick Robinson, Glenn Dorsey, Tj McDonald, Malcom Butler, and even Rev**.. Also believe the Eagles will cut Dorial Green-Beckham after their WR signings, and with Floyd being gone, and having Fitz for at least another year, would be a good flier pickup to attempt to change the route of his career. Maybe even become a No. 1..would love to see us use our top pick on the defense side of the ball. I’m not a fan of college football, but hoping draft secondary help instead of trying to find fitz future replacement..

Could argue for every player why a potential good fit; but just doing this for fun. Think picking up Anquan would be nice and since bringing in Dansby brings some good memories, don’t see why not. It would help bring some grit, other than fitz. The small speed guys help but we need a big body.

Well yep cheers to a speedy offseason. Keep up the good work, and hope to see you’re writing about the possibility of a repeat come this time next year.
    Go cards

19. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    When will the 2017 regular season schedule be released?

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: Schedule

Mid-April.

21. By Scott H on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Haden

You got my vote, bro. And I don’t even consider the extent to which it makes sense in terms of business, how that works for the Browns, any of that. I just look at it in terms of how a player like that helps the Cardinals get back in the ring for THIS season. At that point, I’m done. I say sold, wrap it up, I’ll take it.

Have already said, I don’t even care about 2018 and beyond right now. We’ve got ONE more shot ( probably ) with a legit QB and the best Cardinals player of all time still on the roster. So, I don’t care what you have to do, do WHATEVER it takes to make it happen in 2017.

If you go all in and fall short, I’ll be OK with that. I’ll deal. What, we haven’t known that feeling? Please. Not my first rodeo, cowboy.

But failing to go all out, THEN coming up short? No. That, I will have a problem with. You owe your fans more than that.

22. By mitchaz on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

JTDG—

Joe Haden is recovering from surgery on both groins this off-season. Not sure that would give SK the confidence to trade for him, especially at $11M a year.

What would you (and everyone) think about making a trade for DRC? The Giants have CB depth and DRC’s cap figure is about $8M.

23. By JTDG on Mar 20, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz,

You mean bringing back DRC to have the two CBs we should have had all these years instead of trading DRC away for a horrible back up QB ??

Yes I would be for that. But would DRC want to come back and would the cards management want him. I get the feeling that the cards would not ever have him back from some comments over the years Darren has made.

As for Haden, I would take Joe Haden and two pulled groins over Williams and Bethel.

Personally, I think the cards are going to move to more zones. I just have a feeling that they have been moving more towards that type of defense and they think Williams is good enough for zones.

If that is the direction they go I want to see the cards draft Josh Jones from North Carolina St who can cover over top and knock players out.

Gosh did the cards use to have a Safety who was big, fast, big hitter and was from North Carolina St ? Hmmm . Can’t think of his name (wink-wink), but I hear he is a scout for the team now.
    I would be happy with a draft of;
    1st- Marlon Humphries CB
    2nd – Josh Jones Safety
    3rd – Justin Evans Safety

To have a secondary of Peterson and Humphries at CBs, in the slot is Badger and your two safeties are Jones and Evans. with those two pass rushers up front, no one could throw on the cards.

24. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Draft

I would wager all the money in the world the Cardinals will not draft defensive backs with their first three picks.

25. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Significant changes

Well, yeah, and that is the concern. Doesn’t seem to me that significant changes ( = significant turnover ) during the off-season has been synonomous with winning SB’s that year.

26. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

Pats CB Malcom Butler is being mentioned in trade talks with the Saints. Based on that, it would seem he is available.

I don’t HEAR about the Cardinals pursuing trade talks with anyone for a CB. And given the fact that CB is a significant position of need, that does not impress me as being aggressive – as we were told the team was going to be this off-season.

Then again, I don’t remember hearing about trade talks for Chandler Jones, then it happened. So….I do consider that.

But the overall bottom line is that aggressive is NOT a word I could use to describe how the Cardinals have operated in FA so far. As one of my esteemed colleagues previously stated, it seems like the general approach has been one of wait and wait. Or wait and see. Semantics. Bottom line is there has been little in the way of action to do anything other than try to find adequate replacements for guys that have departed.

Meanwhile, right after winning another SB, the Pats keep key players ( like Hightower ), they up-grade in other areas, and they are instantly re-loaded. AND they may yet pull off a trade with someone to get a high draft pick next year in exchange for a player they will not miss at all ( ala Chandler Jones ). They make it look easy.

27. By Big Ken on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

If the Cardinals are going to trade for a corner back it should be Malcolm Butler. Although he’s not worth our first round pick.

28. By mitchaz on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

JTDG—

Having watched a bunch of film on FS Josh Jones and FS Justin Evans — Jones reminds me of Kerry Rhodes (when he was good) and Evans reminds me of a combination of Tony Jefferson and D.J. Swearinger. Evan is more physical and better at helping over the top and Jones is a little more polished and sticky in man coverage. Either one of them would help. And as Darren says, the Cardinals won’t draft three DB with the first 3 picks.

As for DRC, the dude is more mature now, more aggressive in coverage and as a tackler. Plus, he can drop inside and play nickel if and when needed. But, if you are right about lingering animosity, then trading for him is a moot point.

What about CB/S Ladarius Webb? The Cardinals could sign him and he wouldn’t count versus comp picks because he was released by the Ravens. His versatility could really help at CB and at S.

29. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

Looks like Butler is going to the Saints, so….moot point. And we’re still waiting and seeing.

30. By JTDG on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

Oh I know they won’t. The phrase is, “I would be happy if”.

I also would be happy to win the lottery too. But not going to happen since I don’t even buy tickets.

But seriously, got to think a second round pick of Josh Jones would not be far fetched. A North Carolina St safety at 6’2″ and 220 who runs a 4.4 in the forty, can blitz, play the box but can run well enough to to play a deep safety sure sounds like adrian Wilson coming out. With Wilson, a NCST alum, who is now scouting, I bet he has come to Keim with Jones

31. By JTDG on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

Mitchaz,

I know the cards won’t do it, but why?
    You have Peterson and a slot CB in Mathieu. That’s it.

Seems a couple stud safeties and a man CB would be just what was needed.

Of course, I strongly am for a trade down. Drop to about 19-25 and pick up a second rounder. Address the oline in round one, Ramcyck or Lamp. Then come back and go Tankersly or the kid fro UCLA, and my two safeties. Tell me that wouldn’t help this team immensely.

32. By WONDERINGWHY on Mar 25, 2017 | Reply

You have got to be kidding me with Dansby? WTF? You are bringing his old ass in here for the 3rd time? It’s clear that guy is only in it for the money and does not give a crap about consistency and building something that matters. Don’t be surprised if he is on the bench hurt the first pre-season game enjoying his money. Keim, you failed on this one…….

2. Apr 7, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | The Cardinals’ historic 2004 draft class