Kurt Warner’s brush with jersey thief

Posted by Darren Urban on March 21, 2017 – 4:39 pm

This story about the Mexican newspaper director — former director, at this point — who allegedly stole Tom Brady’s Super Bowl jersey  is fascinating. It’s fascinating to watch the video, and even more insane to read the AP story about this guy and his apparent history of doing such a thing. There are so many layers to this (including how easy it is to get a media credential at the Super Bowl when you aren’t even doing anything), but it was interesting to see how Brady apparently wasn’t even the only Super Bowl quarterback to have his jersey lifted. Kurt Warner apparently did too.

From the Associated Press story:

Velazquez and Palafox both said Ortega was carrying a bag containing a past Super Bowl jersey worn by Warner and an Emmitt Smith book. Warner was named MVP at the 2000 Super Bowl.

“He showed me Warner’s jersey with his signature and told me a story about how Warner was surprised that he was in possession of the item,” Palafox said. “He said he planned to gather interest from Warner to sell him the jersey for $8,000.”

The story doesn’t necessarily specify which Warner jersey was taken (it mentions he was the 2000 SB MVP — the 1999 season — but doesn’t clarify that was the year it was taken). Warner was in two other Super Bowls, after the 2001 season and, of course, for the Cardinals after the 2008 season. I don’t ever remember hearing about Warner losing his Cardinals jersey, and I’d guess it probably was the 1999 jersey since that was one Warner won. Regardless, it’s a crazy story about a brazen guy. Here’s hoping Kurt gets his jersey back.

(“Kurt, do you know where your jersey is?”)

Tags: , ,

62 Responses to “Kurt Warner’s brush with jersey thief”

1. By jerrell on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

Let’s see if the cardinals…”my team” go out and get a kapernick to back up palmer and learn the playboy and get adapted to the organization for a year and start the next season. He’s proven he can do it and with coach Arians that a qb guru it will work…protest aside..the man can play and he exercised his freedom of speech and wasn’t spitting in the face of our country just saying we’re all Americans we should be treated equally. ..go get him cardinals….

2. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

I would stopped being a Cards fan, if they even brought in Kapernick for a tryout.
    I don’t think any team will give him a chance. He isn’t that good either….

3. By Patrick on Mar 21, 2017 | Reply

In regards to comp picks, seems like cutting Michael Floyd vs. inactivating him for last two games and letting him leave as a free agent is not going to affect cardinals comp picks all that much. So managements decision was spot on.

4. By jerrell84 on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

(Njazcardsfan)..then I would really have to question your position on kapernicks protest and assume you one of the people who took it the wrong way and I again would have to question your view on the struggle of African Americans in america…and the reason why is because it’s 32 nfl teams and besides the top ten qb’s in this league kapernick actually have a better resume than the rest of the qb’s on those other teams while people like McCown is getting deals and Brian hoyer who are these guy lol really what it come down to is people blackballing him for using his freedom of space to stand up for African Americans injustice and by the way kapernick is half white which no one mentioned. ..judge that man on his resume just like any other line of work but people are making it a racial thing…he can play! He proved it with the 48ers before them let Harbaugh go and the whole team went down hill not just kapernick people need to be real and state the facts and judge on football alone..unless they don’t really care about African Americans being treated equally. ..why should anyone stand…no matter what race if your being murdered beaten treated unfairly and racially profiled I don’t care if you white black blue or green I wouldn’t fault them for speaking up using freedom of speech and making a point of if I’m an American why am I treated differently. .I’ll kneel until I feel treated like every other American! Don’t make it about the military services or anything else. Facts

5. By Scott H on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

As a person, as a man, as an American, Kaepernick can believe in whatever he chooses to believe, stand up for whatever he chooses to stand up for.

But as a QB? I want no part of him. No thanks. Seriously – his being released by the 49ers doesn’t speak volumes??? Like they have a better option to fall back on?

6. By jerrell84 on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

He asked to be released …like I said get the facts right and then come talk to me….so question? When palmer retire next year who are we gonna have….? Rookie a back up we currently have sitting, a free agent…the only free agent I would consider is Jay cutler and kapernick resume is better than his lol. Facts my brother. Facts don’t know why you don’t judge him on his play especially know we have Bruce Arians who will help him…we gave tyrann Mathieu a second chance and Chris Johnson a why not kap…I wonder why…Russell wilson,cam newton,rams d. Ain’t going no where if we need a duel threat qb. The days of Brady and manning are rare besides a rogers…I’m thinking art and for the future the future we need to compete…next year we will be 4-12. After palmer leave and palmer chokes he’s not guaranteed to make the playoffs kapernicks resumes is better than palmers…really come on man. Palmer!

7. By jerrell84 on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

Compare palmer and kaps resume…and palmer been in the league longer and I’m not bashing palmer I like him but if we had kap as long as we had palmer we would have been to a bowl and won…I played all sports from an athletes perspective I’m going with the best football player period and that’s kap!

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

Jerrell84 —

RE: Palmer/Kap

I am one who is surprised he hasn’t been signed as a backup. And personally, I actually thought more of him over the last year with what he has done on a social level than before, when — even when he was playing well, it seemed like he wasn’t the best in the locker room in terms of interaction.

But I disagree about him being better than Palmer. Kaepernick’s best game is when he is on the move and running. He is not nearly as accurate as Palmer. I don’t see him flourishing in a B.A. offense as well as Palmer can.

9. By Patrick on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

I thought Kapernick was already on our payroll. With all the interceptions he threw in UofP stadium including two pick six’s. Here’s hoping he gets picked up by the Rams, Seahawks or resigned by the 49ers. Would love to play him twice a year.

10. By jerrell84 on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

Yes Mr urban I hear you on the locker room but Arians won’t stand for that the cardinals organization is different from the 49ers I think he will learn and adapt but like all qb’s you have to play to their strengths and maybe palmer is more accurate but he’s predictable and barely won a playoff game last year that’s unexceptable. .kaps won playoff games and dang near won the superbowl.hes a dual threat and he’s the better of the too and his resume is better… look at our division palmer is not gonna do any better than he’s done he is who he is at 36 or 37 he’s done

11. By jerrell84 on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

(patrick)I don’t know if you know but he made the playoffs more than us and he been to the superbowl. So becareful what you wish for because he was playing in our division when he did that duh…do you watch football lol

12. By Scott H on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

jerrell84 –

RE: He asked to be released….

OK. Um…did he also ask to be benched last season??

You’re saying he was released because he asked to be. What does that even mean??? What does that say / prove?

What “facts” do YOU have that are so un-deniable here??? You have an OPINION that the Cardinals would be well served by having Kaepernick on board for when Palmer retires. OK. Fine. I disagree. Doesn’t mean you’re right, I’m wrong.

I love it when people have an OPINION – nothing more – but then turn around and tell the rest of us we need to get our facts right.

Dude, let us know what FACTS you are basing any of this on ( other then telling us that Carson Palmer is going to retire next year and we need another QB, which we kinda already know but thanks, anyway ) and we’ll go from there.

BTW, are you a Cardinals fan or just a Colin Kaepernick fan?

Also, BTW, I AM judging him on his play. And that is exactly why I come to the conclusion I do. Because his play hasn’t been very good.

Interesting that the only free agents you would consider are Kaepernick and Cutler….TWO QB’s currently available because they were released. Just out of curiosity….did Cutler ASK to be released, too?

Any comparison of Kap to Russell Wilson is just ridiculous. Wilson is a REAL QB who looks to throw first and uses his legs to buy time to get the ball down field. And he is absolutely SUPERB at doing just that. He can and will run when he has to. He’s damn good at that, too. But he realizes that his job as a QB is to get the ball down the field with his arm. He is also one of THE smartest QB’s I have ever seen.

Kap doesn’t even compare. He has NOWHERE near the QB skills or the intelligence that Wilson does, so he HAS to try to make plays by running the ball. How does that play out over time in the NFL? See Michael Vick and Robert Griffin. It’s great for making the cover of Madden games and ESPN Primetime highlights. Not so great on the field.

Russell Wilson is not a “duel threat” QB. He is a REAL, BONA FIDE NFL QB. And THAT is what the Cardinals need for when Palmer retires. Kap doesn’t fit that description.

13. By Scott H on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

One more thing….if Kaepernick is the answer for the Cardinals, why wasn’t he the answer for the 49ers???

14. By jerrell84 on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

Scott h….come on dude!
    They are different teams different personel..he got them to the playoffs and to a superbowl where he was minutes away from winning the superbowl. ..come on lol
    I can ask you that same question about palmer! And kapernick wins the conversation duh! Lol. Stop finding excuses to persecute the man and give him his due…it’s been several player who have left one team ND achieved more on a new team and vice versa. It’s a game and I want the best most athletic qb….I can’t have Brady or rogers or eli or Matt Ryan or any young studs because they are already established. But I would definitely give him a shot and let him compete for a starting spot…but I guarantee you when palmer leave it we don’t get a proven veteran or a solid draft pick we will be smelling like my doggs #2. I’m a die hard fan born and raised in phx I wanna say my team won a bowl I want the best but we’ve been consistently doing the same thing for years how about we think outside the box because being in the box got us no where fast I feel bad for Larry fits

15. By jerrell84 on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

Yes ….I don’t blame anyone for wanting to be released to find a better situation for their career or family..yes facts he’s been more successful than palmer fact look at the numbers it’s only 2 or 3 qb’s last year who had a better touchdown to introduce ratio I watch espn and I do my own eye test. Yes born and raised in south phx..my grandmother an all time great boxer who was one of the first major athletes to put arizona on the map…”zora folley” your welcome Scott h….Russell wilson is a duel threat Wichita means he can run just like cam newton…what Rick have you been under you have opinions I’m saying facts and displaying his accomplishments.no was never a kap fan when he was with the 49ers he can help us win then that’s my guy. I’m all about winning and being in a better position to win fact! We might not even make playoffs this year even with palmer ok…palmers more acurate…ok in your eyes I guess he’s more smarter also..why have he only played in 1 or 2 playoff games his whole career theses are facts scotth. Facts are facts sir!

16. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

Jerrell84- This board is for Az Cards football… If you are going to bring politics to the board, then go elsewhere….!!!!!!!!!!

17. By jerrell84 on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

And it’s. Other qb’s as well in free agency rg3 injury prone I would still bring him in and let him compete as well..we have a running game we have receivers now picture a qb who can make the throws and still run and be unpredictable come on nobody could stop the cards…that’s all I’m saying it don’t have to be kap necessarily but I seen what he has done and can still do…we need a duel threat we had the Warners and palmers and plumes etc. Try something new it’s 2017 the qb is evolving to duel threats….we even had a chance to get Vince Young back in the day and we get freaking Kevin Kolb come on man get real something is fishy with this organization. .even Mike vile and we didn’t get him either can we try a black qb for once is all I’m saying. We tried every one else..equal opportunity employer let’s do that lol

18. By jerrell84 on Mar 22, 2017 | Reply

And by the way we don’t have to see eye to eye but we can have a conversation like we’re doing c which is what’s the world needs to learn and embrace different. ..the world would be a better place thanks guys for good conversation and debate b it’s healthy

19. By jerrell84 on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

Njazcardsfan fan…if you don’t be so quick to jump to conclusions and read what I’m say I am talking strictly about the fact that judge football players on production and the resume they have so if you can’t compute then you need to go else where bro!

20. By jerrell84 on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

That’s the whole point I’m making…and ima grown man don’t ever tell me to go else where now you crossing the line.

21. By Scott H on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

jerrell84

RE: Facts

And the FACT remains that Kaepernick is un-employed. What else you got? Are the other 31 teams in the NFL also totally blind to all these “facts” that you’re putting out there? Because they would have to be to ignore a QB that is as skilled and capable as you seem to feel he is.

Another fact for ya, dude – good QB’s don’t get released in the NFL. Most people who have a clue know that.

This is already more conversation about Colin Kaepernick than I’ve ever wanted to have. He’s not even employed right now, so…what’s the point?? Let me know when ( if? ) he becomes relevant again.

Be well, sir.

22. By jerrell84 on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

My point was to say he can still play and anyone with half a brain knows his protest is the only reason he is not being considered no different from African American coaches gm’s and owner at some point you have to face reality but I guess it’s just our reality as African Americans who live it on a day to day basis.but I didn’t intend to get this deep but even people on espn and sports center says he can still play and win on 20 other nfl teams…right is right and the reason he’s not working is not for football reasons but colts got rid of Payton manning Google qb’s who was released and still had good careers after you will be amazed traded or released same thing…by the way he asked to be released to find a better fit. But the backlash postponed his play…that’s all ima say on this all we can do is agree to disagree. But I live what he goes through everyday so our point of views are different especially when you can’t relate. ..have a good day sir. I’ll talk to you when we see how the cards do and what qb we get…remember what I said

23. By jerrell84 on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

Another 5 year drought for cardinals missing playoffs lol palmer it’s a waste of a new year we need to move forward . But know the cardinals like I do they always stay in the box…the great teams think outside the box.

24. By Scott H on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

jerrell84 –

Ya know, I find it interesting that though you claim to be such a fan, I’ve never seen you post before until this whole Kaepernick thing. Makes me wonder.

I don’t give a rip about what he believes or his protest or his color or his race. Completely irrelevant – as far as my opinion of him as a QB is concerned. If a guy can play, he can play. IMHO, he’s just not a very good QB. And as opinions go, mine is every bit as valid as yours.

And BTW, I seem to remember that he was standing on the sidelines last year BEFORE he started his protest, so…..as you say, facts. As much as you seem to feel everyone else needs to get theirs’ straight, you seem to overlook them very easily. Or, should I say, very conveniently?

Regarding Palmer – who, if you have followed my posts over the years AT ALL, you would know I’ve openly found fault with him on more than a few occasions – funny that we weren’t hearing anything from you about how in-effective he is during the 2015 season, when he was being mentioned in discussions EVERYWHERE for league MVP along with Tom Brady and Cam Newton. Again, facts.

And believe me, I’ll remember what you said. Because I’m expecting to get some good laughs out of it! You’re no prophet, dude. We ALL know that we are heading for some down years after Palmer retires. You seem to think you are the only one who knows that. ( I’m laughing already! ) We all know that – it’s called re-building.

But Colin Kaepernick being here wouldn’t change anything about that.

25. By jerrell84 on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

Actually this wasn’t the first time I also spoke on Daryl Washington and how we could have used him against Carolina in the nfc championship..the game we couldn’t even get close to sacking cam newton and no I’m not a prophet and never claimed to be but as a cards fan who’s born in raised in south phoenix who’s watched the suns and the cards all my life,I think if you know we heading towards down years after palmer why aren’t we making any moves man. insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results I’m glad your not the gm…lol but what do I know I’m just expressing my opinions and experience as a cards fan.palmer isn’t gonna do anything just like in Cincinnati. I would give rg3 a shot and cutler and possibly Romo if he could stay healthy it’s not all about kapernick but he is the best football player available and his resume speaks for its self…lol oh so since I haven’t post on here enough for your approval I’m not a fan lol ok sir. And yea I do remember when he was a mvp candidate so what has he done that year. NOTHING! !! And I do like palmer but at some point you gotta know when to move on…try something different your looking at the glass half empty I look at it as half full…that’s the difference I don’t cheer for any other team but my own I’m from the inner city and I’m loyal to where I’m from point blank sir.all I’m say is stop doing what we keep doing,do something different everybody want a pocket passer …there’s no more Brady Brees Rodgers at the moment. We need to explore duel threat qb’s. …or we will continue to struggle like the last 30 or more years since we got our team I’m not down with that maybe you are

26. By JTDG on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

Just read this thread above. Well that was fun.

Yes, Kaepernick is a social warrior now. Although he didn’t vote at any level, so…… There is that.

Is there work that needs to be done on social equality? Sure.

But I am not allowed to go into a convention representing my company and make political statements. What I do on my own time is mine, but I am representing my company when I step in to work. I would have been fired on the spot.

Kaepernick represents the niners, his employer. Who has paid him millions. He embarrassed his ownership without asking them.
    What owner wants to employ someone who will go off script and embarrass the organization? Did the niners ownership want to make this statement? Let’s say no. But now they are stuck right in the middle of something they don’t want to be part of.

Kaep’s actions would be well served on his own time. But his actions are not your own when he took the owners check and put on the owners uniform. He represented the owner, front office, the other players past and present. Pretty selfish to assume they wanted to take this stance also.

I mean, what if Kurt Warner would have taken a knee because of his abortion stance. Wouldn’t that put the Bidwills in a difficult spot?

As for the locker room , players didn’t like him. That alone will make owners question taking him on.

As a player, he is not a drop back pocket QB, you know, the system BA runs. A place he could fit is Cleveland. But maybe Clevelands owners feel it will be a distraction to the locker room.

Before this stance, he was known as a selfish dividing player. He then goes out and makes a selfish dividing gesture. And people want to know why he isn’t on a team?

27. By jerrell84 on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

Abortion is so so so different, a woman have a choice to do what she wants with her body…but what kap did for a whole for a specific race or races is totally different but .ima stock to football I think he can play you don’t think he can play. The moral of the story is were both gonna suffer with palmer just like this past year…so I guess there’s nothing else to talk about but how would you fix this qb problem? Because I guess my suggestions is obviously not most popular? ????

28. By Harpo on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

Kapernick has no place in this organiztion. I wouldn’t hire him to be a gatorade bottle holder…

29. By jerrell84 on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

Oh and just because he put on their uniform don’t make him their property. .he still has his beliefs has a man he does his job they pay him they want his services he charges him he’s not their slave he has the right to speak his mind but..to me it say more about the organization that they didn’t understand the people he was standing up for…he is not the first or last athlete who will stand up for injustices. …muhammad Ali etc…just like Terrell Owen deserves to be in the hall of fam his number scream hall of fam but him speaking up and telling the truth how it is people didn’t like it they want these guys to be robots and not show personality and keep quite but it won’t happen…do you think t.o. deserve to be in hall of fame? Because football players should be judge as football player

30. By jerrell84 on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

Yes I hear you on the locker room divide…and that’s the thing all these grown men with egos in one locker room something is bound to happen that’s sports .but me personally I’m looking at past play if that’s the case we shouldn’t have got palmer because what have he accomplished. .kap locker room problems palmer won one playoff game in 10 plus years lol ima go with kap everytime. But also I have confidence in b.a. as a coach and a leader of men he can handle any qb he in a no b.s. type of coach add all that together I think it will work..when palmers done were gonna have to change the system anyway why not kap or rg3 or cutler let’s take a chance and we’re still waiting. Waiting to fail? I love my team but they frustrate me just like you I’m sure we just need to be pro active and get on it

31. By jerrell84 on Mar 23, 2017 | Reply

That’s fine I respect that but the resistance is way more than his football play to most people like myself all these lousy back up qb’s and other players and coaches are getting jobs but he’s not…it might not be your reason but it has alot to do with his stance of a racial note more than anything else .and it’s pros and nfl analysis saying the same thing on like television. So you might have a separate reason but we know the truth we seen this time and time again…lol its your right for freedom of specs but they will blackball you at the first opportunity they get so on that note..that’s my stance and I’m sticking to it I think all people should be treated equally and punished equally is that the way it is no…it was fun guys but this is my last post about kap which I just want to win it’s not necessarily all about him but he’s the best available. ..who else do we have and who else can we get Is my point lol. But I’m just happy you guys aren’t in charge of player personel because more than half of the player in the nfl will be out of a job if it up to yall because players have not so good years do to coach’s injuries etc. Man the nfl would suck!

32. By Scott H on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

Oh, man….some of the funniest stuff I’ve read in a LOOOONG time!

Good lord….sounds like someone has a shrine to Colin Kaepernick in their closet. Hey, ya know what? Light a candle for him from me, too. He needs all the help he can get!

33. By Wild Blue Yonder on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

Actions and words have consequences.
    Mr. Bidwill and Mr. Keim don’t want troublemakers on their roster.

34. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

Wild —

RE: “troublemakers”

OK, this is where I have to say something.

Feel how you want to feel about what Kaepernick did. But please, don’t come in here and say he was making trouble. Not true. I fully understand he upset people by doing it. I have no problem with that reaction. But he wasn’t a “troublemaker.”

I also want to say this to all on this board when it comes to this subject, with a reference to someone important to all in this Cardinals community. You know who would back Kaepernick’s (and other players’) right to kneel? Pat Tillman.

35. By clssylssy on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

WOW!…and elsewhere around the league, the Saints are talking to Johnny Manziel about returning to the NFL so, it would seem desperate times, etc. Wouldn’t it be wierd for both of these guys to find their way to new and more solid organizations with good coaches, and good players around them and have a total rebirth to successful careers? Either one could be picked up after the draft on the cheap, so this could be more realistic than it might seem. Both of these players have skill sets, and could have matured and grown from their missteps
    Both the 9ers and Browns were dumpster fires and Kap did great under Harbaugh(who still believes in him) and he did request his release, so who knows? I have a feeling we will see them both in uniform this season–stranger things have happened!

36. By Scott H on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

Kap has a right to kneel. I have no problem with that. Really, I’m not concerning myself with any of that – though it has been part of the discussion here.

Bottom line, I just concern myself with what I think of him as a QB. And I just don’t think he is a very good player. And I think THAT has more to do with his current status than anything. Because I think for the most part, NFL teams are more concerned with that than anything else, too.

Sorry if people think I’m being too simple about it. But if Derek Carr ( who I think is a terrific young QB, a REAL star in the making ) chose to kneel, he would still be with the Raiders. And IF the Raiders DID let him go over that? He would have a new team within 24 hours. Why? Because he is a damn good QB, that’s why.

Period.

37. By Wild Blue Yonder on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

With all due respect (don’t you hate that phrase?), I assume then that you believe that Mr. Bidwill and Mr. Keim would have no problem signing him to a contract? Didn’t I just read in previous threads that they signed Bethea and Dansby because they provided “leadership”? What kind of “leadership” would K provide?

38. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

Wild —

RE: All due respect

I was saying nothing about what the Cardinals would do. You said Kaepernick was a troublemaker. I have a large problem with that characterization when there are plenty of real troublemakers around. And frankly, I got the sense his status in the locker room — partially because of his beliefs, and for other reasons — actually got better over his last season in SF.

Look, I’ve said it before: I am little surprised he doesn’t have a job somewhere, and I have zero doubt many teams don’t want to touch him because the ancillary stuff isn’t worth it. But that’s different than being a “troublemaker.” That was your phrase that bothered me.

39. By jerrell84 on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

Wild blue…whatever dude….I can care less about kap his self I want to win nobody answered my question who else can we ge? When palmer is done??????????????????????? Hello??????? All that talk and no answer!!!!!!!!

40. By Scott H on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

We’ve gone completely off the topic, here….did Kurt get his jersey back yet???

Might as well try to get a few chuckles out of this. Because as far as FA activity goes, it looks like the F/O closed up shop and went fishing.

41. By clssylssy on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

Scott…the fact that Kaep is out of a job right now is, in part, because he chose to asked to be released by the 9ers, and it’s possible he may still end up on their roster.
    There are still a number of good players who, for whatever reasons, are still FAs…Anquan Boldin being one of them. As we all know, there are economic factors that play into things as well as other intangibles, and some players even elect to retire from football all together while still young and very capable. I’ve heard Terry Bradshaw, on numerous occasions rave about how much he loves watching Kaepernick play (under Harbaugh) so, who knows what he might do with the right coach and in the right organization.
    Comparing Palmer to Kaep is like comparing apples to oranges as they are different kinds of QBs with different skillsets and a big difference in age and experience. IMO, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    This is a business and good owners concern themselves more with how the player’s skillset could be advantageous to winning Championships. If you talk to Raider fans or Bengal fans, most will tell you that Palmer is a loser but we have all seen him excel and shine in our system under BA…just say’n, I would never say never to long shots in this game!

42. By Halagator on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

jerrell84 – and all in this thread

Re: Kap

Chris Wesseling wrote a great article on why Kap has not been signed. It has more to do with his body of work in the NFL than anything else. Bottom line he is an exceptional athlete with accuracy problems, can’t read the defense and doesn’t throw receivers open. He is a read option QB who flourished on a team that was really good on O and D at the time. teams have adapted to the read option offense and rendered it to just the odd few plays per game. I don’t think he is a starter in the NFL at all. Maybe a decent back up to get you thru a rough patch if your starter is hurt. But other than that I wouldn’t sign him to be a starter at all. Here is the article for those who haven’t already read it:

43. By jerrell84 on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

An article, go listen to Steven a. Smith,skip bayless,Shannon sharpe,Richard sherman,I can keep going on with current and x players who know talent when they see it and they say the same thing I said….kap had 16 touchdowns to 4 interceptions ratio only Brady Rodgers and may Ryan was better last year…and the team was depleted and don’t get me started on chip Kelly and what he did to the Eagles getting rid of all the star black players please! Ima agree with professionals who actually played the game…yall need to watch first take and undisputed. ..it comes on every morning during the week days Jonny manzel is talking to the saint. And he has a drinking and a drug problem and on top of that he has no resume lol yall Crack me up the real people know exactly why he’s being black balled you telling me he can’t start for 20 teams in the nfl get the bleep out of here I’m definitely in the wrong place……

44. By Scott H on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

Well, I don’t think I said Kap will NEVER have success as a QB. Heck, he HAS already had some.

Listen to what I AM saying – I DO NOT THINK HE IS A GOOD QB. That is a simple opinion. Why people keep reading any more into what I’m saying than that???

45. By JTDG on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

jerrell84,

You said; “Oh and just because he put on their uniform don’t make him their property. .he still has his beliefs has a man he does his job they pay him they want his services he charges him he’s not their slave he has the right to speak his mind”

I 100% agree that outside of his work, he has a right to be who he wants to be. Freedom of speech is being shouted down all over this country. You see it in the colleges, the news, everywhere. If you don’t like what I am saying, I am labeled or shouted down. Frankly it is wrong.

A couple years ago, Then Steelers RB and future Cards RB made a statement claiming the 911 was an inside job. I personally hated the statement, but he has a right to voice his opinion. He should be able to be employed after that, (and was) because he did not do it as a representative of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but did it as Rashard Mendenhall.

But There is a difference in voicing your opinion outside of work and making a statement while representing your company. when you put on the uniform, you do represent the company that is paying you. That is just the plain truth.

I guess I see things a little different. I don’t know how old you are, but you should know the name Doug Williams.

Doug was not the first Black player in the NFL. He wasn’t the first Black QB in the NFL. But to me, he changed the game forever. I know this will sound crazy,but I see him as the Jackie Robinson of football.

Why? Well, in a time when many people thought Blacks could not be QBs, he was given the opportunity to lead the Washington Redskins against the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl. Most thought the Broncos would win because they had Elway. But Williams, while receiving death threats, quietly went out and lead his team to a Super Bowl win and MVP. Not only could a Black QB win, but also be named the games MVP.

Doesn’t seem like much? But I remember when Russell Wilson won it a couple years ago and something magical happened. There was no mention of his race. He was just the winning QB. I also watched QBs like Jamies Winston get drafted as a QB #1 overall. Before Doug Williams’ victory (and class in doing it) Winston would have been switched to TE and Wilson would have been hammered about being a Black QB, or switched to scat back.

Williams changed the NFL for the better. He blazed a trail for young black QBs all over America and changed the minds of even the most “challenging” fans. He lead by example. With the pressures of an entire race on his back, he showed Black Men can lead and be successful. We later saw Tony Dungy become the first Black Head Coach to win a Superbowl.

When thinking of what Kaep did, do you think he had any impact on change or do you think what he did brought divisiveness to the NFL ? Many saw his protest (even players)To dishonor the Anthem and disrespect Police. His actions drowned out the issue he was trying to make.

I sit 4 rows behind the opponents bench on the 50 yrd line at U of P. When Kaep played here, almost the entire game fans were shouting for him to stand up and not disrespect the flag. Whatever statement he was trying to make was lost. He caused more division and accomplished nothing.

With all that being said, I believe everyone deserves second chances. I would think if he had leadership skills, he would be employed somewhere. I think that is what is missing.

46. By Scott H on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

jerrell84

RE: get the bleep out of here

Really? You’re gonna come here to this team website and tell us to get the bleep out of here?

Really, Darren? I thought comments like that were not permitted here. Sorry, but I find that offensive.

And,

RE: I’m definitely in the wrong place.

Yeah, after comments like the one above, maybe you are.

47. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

NJAzCardsFan —

RE: Kaepernick/President Obama, etc.

If you think I’m going to post such unsubstantiated things, you are wrong. You want to send me credible links, I will. I feel confident you will not find any.

48. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Comment

I didn’t see any foul language, so I let it go.

49. By clssylssy on Mar 24, 2017 | Reply

There is a very good article on NFL.com that also discusses the
    subject of Kaep’s not currently being on a roster with the general feeling that he will get signed after the draft. He seems to be very well liked by other players who consider him to be a very good player who is being blackballed by the NFL & I tend to put more credibility in what the players think, as they have first hand knowledge, more than those outside of the lockerroom. Trump even went on record as taking credit for keeping Kaep unemployed, so, it’s possible, given the fact that the owners belong to the same billionnaire’s club.
    I thought it interesting that it was suggested that Kaep as a #2 could offer a valueable alternative skillset to the pocket passer, which was my feeling.
    And, I agree with Darren, in that I believe Pat Tillman would have been among those supporting Kaepernick’s right to protest in the manner he did.

50. By JTDG on Mar 25, 2017 | Reply

I don’t know why this is bugging me, but I got to take exception to this line;

“You know who would back Kaepernick’s (and other players’) right to kneel? Pat Tillman.”

You don’t know that.

You may believe that, and you may be right, but you can’t say for certain he would have supported that unless you asked him. Since he died before Kaep’s kneel down, I am certain he wasn’t asked.

You can infer from knowing him, you may believe because of those are things he believed, but to say he (or anyone else) would support something, without knowing, is pure speculation.

For me to say Abraham Lincoln would support Kaepernick is not accurate. For me to say, from what I know, I believe Abraham Lincoln would support him is a different premise.

51. By Former USAF Pilot fka Wild Blue Yonder on Mar 25, 2017 | Reply

JTDG,

Thanks for questioning Darren’s comment that Pat Tillman would have backed Kaepernick.
    I, also, was bothered by Darren invoking Tillman’s name.

52. By Darren Urban on Mar 25, 2017 | Reply

All —

RE: Tillman

I stand by my statement.

53. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 25, 2017 | Reply

Darren- You have my email, send me yours and I will provide the info from MSM sources,

54. By Darren Urban on Mar 25, 2017 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: E-mail

My e-mail address is on every single story — not the blog, but the regular stories — on this site.

55. By Former USAF Pilot fka Wild Blue Yonder on Mar 25, 2017 | Reply

There are suitable venues for expressing one’s First Amendment’s rights.
    In a stadium or an arena during the playing of the National Anthem is not one of them.

56. By Darren Urban on Mar 25, 2017 | Reply

Wild Blue —

RE: Anthem

To me, this is a complicated subject with nuance, because ultimately, I disagree with your first line. You either have freedom of expression or not. Who gets to decide what is suitable?

However, you have every right to feel that way. Personally, I wouldn’t consider not standing.

But it is an opinion. Not a law.

57. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2017 | Reply

Man….it started with a lost Kurt Warner jersey and look where it went.

Boy, wouldn’t THIS just be the PERFECT moment for the breaking news that the Cards just made a trade for a CB……sure would have beaten the hell out of talking about Colin Kaepernick.

Then again…..maybe we could say that about pretty much anything.

58. By Scott H on Mar 28, 2017 | Reply

Couldn’t blame anyone for not caring about this anymore but I just saw the story on NFL.com about JOHN Harbaugh ( the other one ) coming out and saying that it is stupid ( his word ) to think that teams are blackballing Kaepernick.

Well, it is nice to hear somebody cut right through it all to the simple truth. Kap is not being blackballed because of his protest. Some teams will have interest in him because they will believe he has talent and he will be on an NFL roster come training camp. That is how that will play out.

Now, from THAT point, he will either continue to have a job or not because of how he plays and what he appears to offer a team, either as a starter or as a back-up. That is how THAT will play out. It’s all pretty simple and pretty ( no pun intended, I promise ) black and white.

And at that point, it will be about what it has ALWAYS been about all along – can he play or not? If he can, he’ll have a job. If he can’t, he won’t.

No different than Tim Tebow. Tebow didn’t lose his job as an NFL QB and get blackballed because of his religious beliefs or gestures. He lost it because he is NOT good enough to be an NFL QB.

59. By JTDG on Mar 28, 2017 | Reply

Scott H ,

Tebow and Kaep;

Only difference is you have bozo reporters still hounding Tebow like he did something wrong.

Some jerk over on NFL.com post his strikeouts against cy young winners ( like he is the only one) . Clearly this guy has it out to make Tebow look bad.

I mean Tebow won the Heisman , a National Championship, a NFL playoff game and now has enough talent to make a run at baseball after not playing for years.

As an uncle of a Down syndrome boy, I watched Tebow host a huge prom for kids with downs. Yet , he continues to be hounded by these reporters because he wasn’t good enough as a QB. Because he wants to play baseball?

I wish I could go play NFL QB or play Minor league baseball.

So, maybe he isn’t playing in the NFL because he wasn’t good enough, but there is a definite prejudice against Tebow.

60. By jerrell84 on Mar 28, 2017 | Reply

Scott h. I agree with you he led in rushes for qb’s before newton,etc…he proved if you build around his talent he can win in the post season. .people just want to stay in the box and always looking for the next Brady in his case it was Payton which I don’t blame the Broncos but other teams should have built around his talent. People hate on him for wanting to play baseball. ..why! You know how many children is watching him saying to their self I can do anything I put my mind to but all prleople do is create negativity. …the world we live in,pathetic!

61. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

jerrell84 –

Well, there may be much we disagree on but I will say, that was a thought-provoking dialogue.

And if NOTHING else, it helped fill the void left by very little of note going on around this team during FA.

62. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Tebow

OK. Look, just as with Kap, I just never thought Tebow was very good. Those games the Broncos won with him at QB….they were some of the most un-impressive wins I’ve ever seen. Often times, Tebow would play about as badly as you could imagine an NFL QB playing but the Broncos would keep it close and Tebow would make a play at the end to steal the win. It was never pretty!

But one wonders…..if Peyton Manning hadn’t been available right at that time, might things have worked out differently for Tebow?