Bidwill: Vegas will be “fun” for Cardinals fans

Posted by Darren Urban on March 28, 2017 – 6:32 pm

The Raiders are (eventually) moving to Las Vegas, and will be that much closer to the Cardinals — who have been frequent preseason partners with the AFC team. That convenience isn’t lost on Cardinals president Michael Bidwill.

“I think our fans are going to love it when that stadium is built and there is a preseason game (in Vegas),” Bidwill said from the NFL owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore. “I think they will be in full force supporting the Cardinals. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Because of multiple trips in recent years, Bidwill and the Cardinals are familiar with the stadium issues in Oakland.

“I’m happy for the Raiders because this really solidifies their future,” Bidwill said. “It had been a struggle. We played them many times, particularly preseason games in Oakland, and that’s a tough place to play. It’s definitely not up to NFL standards. I’m glad they’ve got a bright future.”

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Bidwill: Vegas will be “fun” for Cardinals fans”

1. By clssylssy on Mar 28, 2017 | Reply

LOL…what part will be fun? The Raiders themed brothel? Surprised that a good Catholic boy was on board for that one! I doubt that the Owners really thought about all the competition the NFL would have for tourist dollars and seeing the NFL rip franchises out of fanbases that have steadfastly supported them through the years doesn’t inspire my support for attending away games there. I don’t see Raiders fans going along with this move (again) and don’t see this as being anymore successful than the LA thing

2. By georgiebird on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

The move of the Raiders to Las Vegas is a “black eye” for the NFL-

3. By Richard S on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

The first time the Raiders abandoned Oakland, my brother-in-law became disinterested in football, kind of like a friend of mine’s dad who gave up on baseball when the Dodgers left Brooklyn. I don’t see Oakland fans flocking to Las Vegas to see the Raiders and doubt if they’ll get the gamblers away from the tables long enough to take in a game.

4. By Big Ken on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

Fun bus for the Bloggers!

5. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2017 | Reply

FWIW, I think that Raiders will start to see some of what the Cardinals see at their home games – more fans of the opposing team infirnging on their turf. Because they will now be in a destination city, a place that people WANT to visit and spend a few days….especially the fans of the teams in the cold-weather cities. I mean, when you live in Buffalo or Detroit or Minny or Philly and you’re freezing and miserable in December, why not go to Phoenix or Las Vegas or Miami for a long weekend when your team is playing there?

Said this before, I’m pretty sure you don’t see a lot of fans from opposing teams at Browns or Bills games, ya know?

It took awhile for the Cards to build a fan base in the Phoenix area. And it didn’t help that the team was BAD right from the beginning and stayed bad for a pretty long time. It might help the Raiders quite a bit that they appear to be a real contender in the AFC as they are making their move.

6. By Kevin S Mesa on Apr 2, 2017 | Reply

I have no idea what kind of support the city will give to the team, but I think, it being the NFL, and Vegas currently having no franchises (although they’re adding hockey), they’ll be fine. You’ll have at least some diehard Raider fans who will keep being fans — it’s not like it’s that far from Oakland to Vegas — plus all the locals. And, of course, let’s not forget… it’s Vegas. Visiting fans are going to plan trips around when their team plays there. It’s the perfect situation for an opposing fan… fly out Friday afternoon or evening, arrive in Vegas, have a couple nights of Vegas fun, and after you stagger back to your hotel Saturday night, sleep in, and you’ve still got time to get to the game ‘cuz it’ll be one of the late games. Game ends, get on a plane that night or maybe take Monday off.

If I were, say, a Bengals’ fan, not a whole lot would excite me about going to Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Baltimore … but if we happened to be playing one of our out-of-division games against the Raiders, sure, I’d make the trip.

2. Mar 29, 2017: Michael Bidwill says Cardinals fans ‘are going to love’ preseason games in Vegas | Cards Wire