No B.A. regrets for Bethel comment

Posted by Darren Urban on March 29, 2017 – 9:59 am

It’s been a battle for Justin Bethel for the last 18 months, fighting a broken foot at the end of the 2015 season, thinking it was healed, re-injuring it in the offseason before OTAs to sideline him all summer, fighting it all 2016 and then absorbing a paycut recently.

Coach Bruce Arians has been complimentary of Bethel the last few times he has been asked about him, and Bethel did close the season better — returning an interception for a touchdown in the finale — and Arians was asked Wednesday whether he regretted calling Bethel a “failure-in-progress” in early December.

“No … no, because only one line of that was used,” Arians said. “Because I said it was not his fault because of his broken foot. That part never got to the article. It was just I said he was a failure in progress because of not being able to practice.”

Arians said Bethel’s father actually attended the Saturday practice following Arians’ Monday “failure” comment.

“(He) grabbed me and said, ‘You trying to motivate my son?’ I said, ‘Yeah,’ ” Arians said. “He said, ‘I think it’s working.’ ”

Arians again reiterated Wednesday that the draft is loaded with cornerbacks, that Brandon Williams will be a lot better in Year Two, and that Bethel too will be “a hell of a lot better if he can finally practice.” (Bethel believes he should be the starter.)

“He hasn’t practiced for two years on that broken foot,” Arians said. “He can now have a chance to really compete as a corner and get better rather than just throwing him out there when we had to have him. That’s not fair to him. But I think he’s going to really, really take off with it this spring.”

Tags: ,

26 Responses to “No B.A. regrets for Bethel comment”

1. By Former USAF Pilot fka Wild Blue Yonder on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

I don’t believe that Keim will take a CB in an early round because it sounds like BA believes that Bethel and Williams will be able to step up and be CB #2 opposite PP.

2. By danafrancis on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

I agree with Wild Blue Yonder, at least not a CB in Round 1, especially considering how many analysts on ESPN and NFL Network have emphasized how deep this year’s defense backs’ class is. I would not be surprised in Rounds 2 and later if they took a CB, but would expect an ILB, WR, or QB instead at pick 13.

3. By TucsonTim on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

Any word about the London game? Would be nice to make hotel and flight arrangements

4. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: London

Will post on that a little later. Word is no date until full NFL schedule is released.

5. By Big Ken on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

Glad to see Boehm get the vote of confidence to start at guard. I think overall the coaches are happy with the present group of O-Linemen.So it adds to the suspense of who they draft in the 1st round.

6. By Big Ken on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

I’ve read Buffalo is considering putting ILB Preston Brown on the trading block. He’s a three or four year veteran and plays in the 3-4 defense scheme.

7. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

I say YES YES YES the CARDINALS need to DrAft a QB what are the gonna do without Palmer next year there gonna get a run down QB like jay cutler or tony Romo they need a young QB training for next year season

8. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

If I were the cardinals number 1 Draft pick I would get a QB 2 round probably a Line backer 3rd round probably a safety 4th pick I would get blocker 5th round possibly a safety

9. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    If the cardinals get QB Watson I will probably cry laugh run and jump for joy and purchase lots of cardinals gear like a Watson jersey I already have a Jay Feely and Fitzgerald so I would get a Watson jersey I would get cardinals socks cardinals bed sheets cardinals toaster lol I would get everything cardinals I would probably paint my hous Red and Black

10. By Jamessamuels1932 on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

As I was saying for the last 2 months, the fans never gave Bethel a chance. We never seen a healthy Bethel play.

The Cards signed Bethel a contract last year to be the starting corner but Bethels foot surgery ruined his first year to compete for that spot.
    we judged Bethels first year as being a failure when He was injured and didn’t even have a chance to prove himself.

I believe we will see GREATNESS IN PROGRESS with Bethel.

11. By Scott H on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

Here’s wishing Bethel a healthy stretch from here forward. At least that will help us know if he can really be the guy we need at QB or not. And I sure hope he can be….because at this point, I don’t know who else it’s gonna come from.

I’ll be cheering for this kid and hoping he is our guy.

12. By Richard S on Mar 29, 2017 | Reply

Sometimes motivation works. I remember in High School when the student manager after the starting center fouled out made the comment that the game was over now as I was going in. That fired me up. After I went in we had a 15 point rally, winning the game by 7 points. I blocked 2 shots, scored 4 points got a couple of rebounds and tipped a ball back to the guard who just missed his shot and he made the next one. I was going up against the all conference center, although Big George had tired him out. Big George actually got invited to a Cowboy tryout, even though he never played football, just basketball in Jr. College. The next game the coach put me in and I returned to being the bumbling idiot who couldn’t hold on to the basketball.

13. By Physikeir on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

Tickets for the London game are already almost sold out. I got mine a month back and the best seats I could get were nose bleed.

14. By michael on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

Jamessamuels – we saw a healthy Bethel vs. the Packers in the playoffs when Jerraud Powers was injured and he had to play CB2. It wasn’t pretty. He got exposed all night, and that was while covering the #3 and #4 WRs for the pakcers, as Jordy was out all year and Cobb left the game early.

15. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

Geez….just now realized the colassal typo in my last post, referring to hoping Bethel can be the guy we need at QB!! Well, actually, I think with Carson Palmer, we already have our guy at QB. So, let’s instead hope that Bethel can be the guy we need at CORNER-back!

And I got nothing but thumbs-ups for that….go figure. Seems to be something telling about that…..

16. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

michael…agree with you about Bethel in the Packers game. he looked totally lost, especially on those last two bombs rodgers threw in the last minute of regulation. Bethel seemed to have no awareness of the situation at all and that had nothing to do with his bad foot. i don’t know what to expect from him this year but hoping for the best.

17. By Scott H on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Well, if we’re being honest, didn’t our entire defense play pretty poorly in that 2015 playoff game against the Packers?? That was just a tough game to endure all around. The Cardinals may find ways to win the games ( against Rodgers / the Packers in the playoffs ), but not until AFTER Rodgers totally shreds our defense. And let’s be honest – Aaron Rodgers really is that good. He is one of those QB’s that can make any defense look bad.

The Packers really could have ( SHOULD have??? ) won both of those games. Heck, go back to the game in 2009. Just before the play where Adams got to Rodgers and caused the fumble that Dansby took in for the score that got us out of there with a win, Rodgers missed on a pass downfield to a WR who got behind our defense. That SHOULD have been the game right there. Rodgers hits that WR on that play, it’s over, Packers win.

All that said, I agree, our DB’s were horrible in that 2015 playoff game. But so was the whole defense.

18. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Packers/ Cards D

Honestly, I have to disagree strongly about that playoff game. The last drive and the two hail marys were a bust, but the Packers had just 13 points for 59 minutes. And Patrick Peterson lost a 100-yard INT return for a TD because of Frostee’s (deserved, but didn’t affect the play) hands-to-the-face flag.

19. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Noted. But sometimes a game just has a certain FEEL to it….and that was one of them. We had just played the Packers two weeks before and our defense was relentless. They were a wrecking ball. It reached a point where you could SEE Rodgers wanted no part of us anymore, he was getting hammered. And we were without the Honey Badger in that game.

Two weeks later, it looked like two totally different teams. And let’s remember that the Packers were also greatly diminished at WR in that playoff game. Rodgers may not have dazzled with 300-plus and 4 TD’s but he was finding the guys he had to work with / making plays / keeping drives moving that were keeping the Cardinals offense off the field, and it was becoming more of a concern as the game went on.

All that said, the offense was certainly a culprit in that one, too, just as much as the defense. Palmer was…..pretty bad. The TD catch by Floyd was a fluke and that late INT that Palmer threw in the endzone….I thought that might have killed us right there. The play Palmer made in OT to avoid being sacked and to buy time to find an in-explicably wide open Larry Fitzgerald was amazing. That one play and the the 3 consecutive 20-yard completions late in the Bengals game ( 2015 ) to get Cards in a position to win that game were, for me, Carson Palmer at his absolute best.

Any chance you could post a link to provide those highlights?? We’re a hundred years from anything right now ( or, so it seems ), so….might as well enjoy a little stroll down memory lane.

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Pack highlights

In here:

21. By JamesSamuels on Apr 1, 2017 | Reply

Mike-
    these are the facts..
    Coach Arians came back and said that the Rodgers Hail Mary pass in the Playoffs that was blamed on Bethel wasn’t Bethels fault… It was zone coverage.
    remember the very next Hail Mary pass to the #3 wide receive they said Bethel could not hold all night?
    A hail Mary touchdown pass to THE SAME #3W/R Jeff Janis. Janis was double covered by the great Patrick Peterson and Rashad Johnson for a touchdown……but the media didn’t talk about that much for some odd reason.

A couple weeks before the playoffs when we played Greenbay, Bethel had a interception on Rodgers. ProFootball focus said he had a great game although Rodgers Threw at Bethel a season high 14 times, which resulted in 7 catches for 75 yards. Pro Football Focus gave Bethel a 70.0 passer rating and a 49.2 completion rating.

I’m betting on Bethel to be “Greatness in Progress”

22. By Scott H on Apr 3, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

I was actually hoping for the highlights from the Bengals game…..got those?

23. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Bengals

24. By Scott H on Apr 4, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks, buddy. That was a SWEET one to re-live.

25. By KMART on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

Since the Seahawks GM confirmed they were open to trading CB Richard Sherman, do you know if Keim has checked in with the Seahawks to find out what the asking price is to acquire CB Richard Sherman? I don’t think he’ll get traded, but PP and Sherman together would form quite the formidable duo in the secondary.

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

Kmart —

RE: Sherman

The Cards aren’t going to add an $11M CB salary with Peterson and Mathieu money already on the books.