No East Coast trip for Cards before London

Posted by Darren Urban on March 29, 2017 – 12:58 pm

The Cardinals still are making plans with how they are going to handle their travel to London to play the Rams — the date remains TBD — but Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings, Bruce Arians knocked down one possibility: The Cardinals will likely not take one of their East Coast road games (Washington, Philly) and fly from there to London. Instead, the Cardinals will likely play a home game and then leave from Sky Harbor the next day.

“Our plan is to leave from here,” Arians said. “We don’t know. We haven’t gotten it all finalized. But Michael (Bidwill) has made that trip so many times that we feel right now we would probably leave Monday night. When we went to Berlin (with the Chiefs in 1990) quite a few years back, we got off the plane and went right to practice and broke a sweat.

“We’ll get off and do a glorified walkthrough practice, break-a-sweat deal, and then get acclimated to that time, and then go into a normal week.”

The Cardinals, as do most teams returning from a London game, are expected to have a bye the week following the London game.

“The jet lag is a bitch when you get back,” Arians said. “I can’t imagine, even on the East Coast even though it’s a five-hour flight. It’s probably not as bad as going from Miami to Seattle and playing the next week. It’s kind of like that. That’s really hard on your guys. You have to be aware of how tired they are.”

Alas, there is still no date for the London game, which will be either Oct. 22 or Oct. 29. At this point, it is not expected to be announced until the full NFL schedule is released sometime in mid-April.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “No East Coast trip for Cards before London”

1. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

On the CB front…..am hearing that the Saints are passing on trading their first round pick for Butler….and that apparently Richard Sherman may, in fact, be on the trading block?

Just sayin…..not like there are no options out there to explore.

I do like the idea of Butler in a Cards uniform. Hey, if you’re gonna shop, the Patriots store seems like a pretty good place to do it. And, of course, they have themselves in a perfect position to be able to dictate a steep price for a very good player that someone else needs but THEY will probably be just fine without. I swear, they are SOOOOO damn good at this. Then again….I guess having Tom Brady MAKES it easy for them to be so damn good at this.

2. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

Did anyone see the story about Ellington being converted to WR? That just kinda makes me ask….why? I mean, Elliington just seems too small for that, too. And we are already on the smallish side at WR. So, I’m not sure where the big benefit is. It seems to create a way to get Ellington on the field more but….I’m not so sure that really makes us any better.

But, hey, if he’s gonna be here, we might as well be using him for something.

And what is going on with CJ at this point?

Ultimately, what this team needs at WR is not going to addressed by converting Andre Ellington to one. It does nothing other than create an avenue to finding a way to use Ellington….somehow.

3. By clssylssy on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    The only thing that makes sense to me is that as a WR he will be in a more “protected” role and actually might be of use on kkoffs or punt returns although, we have speedy smurf already able to do that ??? I still think that we’ll take a big receiver (like Fitz) as a priority in the draft, so maybe they’re just wanting to find some way to use him while getting more depth. As you may recall, BA was really high on Ellington so probably doesn’t want to just kick him to the curb, althoughI think CJ is a much better RB, and has provided excellent mentoring to DJ, (I hope they’ll bring him back after the draft but don’t get too excited these days about much)
    At this point, Mr. B. says they have’t got their draft list put together, so I’m wondering if anybody has a plan. As I keep hearing….crickets.

4. By clssylssy on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Addendum:
    Along those same lines (moving backs to receiviers), if they don’t end up taking one of the top receivers to replaace Larry in this draft, how about moving DJ to receiver (a more protected position, possibly giving him more longevity) and trying to go after Tyrann’s buddy, Fournette in the draft? That would make a pretty killer offense and LSU/SEC players are usually guaranteed money in the bank…plus we do have a LSU connection through PP and HB. Keim would have to do some dealing, that I’m not sure is realistic, but it’s a thought? I do like Penney but our RB room has REALLY gotten small and if DJ gets hurt we’ll be toast (AGAIN) unless they make Ellington or some of the smurfs floaters.

5. By sbrown on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

season tix holder, I’m looking forward to the London game, My son and I will be attending, should be a great week and a big win for the Cards !

6. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

I have thought for a couple of years now that Ellington could be transformed into a version of Wes Welker or Julian Edelman except he appears to me to be afraid of being hit. Too many times I saw him dive to the ground rather than physically engage a defender or even try to elude him. Ellington had a promising rookie year but he has only flashed a very few times since then. I will be surprised if he is on the roster come week one.