Mahomes and Bidwill’s role at draft workouts

Posted by Darren Urban on March 30, 2017 – 8:01 am

Recently the Cardinals went to work out Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes, a session that included team president Michael Bidwill. There was much speculation about what it might mean to have the man at the top of the food chain there when it comes to the Cards’ interest. Bidwill (who is a pilot who sometimes flies football people to these workouts, it should be noted) said it doesn’t necessarily mean much.

“It’s funny, because each year I go to the Scouting combine and I let the personnel people do their thing,” Bidwill said Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7. “Steve (Keim) and his team, with the input of Bruce (Arians) and his coaching staff. They do a great job. But I attend all of those scouting activities. I (also) attend private workouts. I attend them every year. Some of them, people report on, some of them people never report on them. We really don’t announce which ones I go to and which ones I don’t. I go to them as my schedule allows because I love it, I love being around and learning from our scouts and coaches.

“Patrick Mahomes is one we weren’t able to schedule at the combine, and that was an important one because again, all of the top prospects I meet. Whether it is at the combine, at our training facility or, on occasion, a private workout. I’m going to be attending many more private workouts, I’m not sure all of them will be leaked out to the media, but don’t read anything into that.”

Bidwill added that the Cardinals haven’t even organized their draft board yet (I can attest to the meetings not yet having started, since the parade of coaches and scouts has yet to start in the draft room a few feet from my desk). This doesn’t mean Mahomes wouldn’t be someone that could intrigue the Cardinals. But as I have told some who have asked about it already, Bidwill’s presence alone doesn’t mean the Cards are honing in on a target.

Tags: , ,

23 Responses to “Mahomes and Bidwill’s role at draft workouts”

1. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

Interesting that in 3 recent interviews (Danny Kanell, John Kitna, fuzzy on 3rd one, maybe Jaws) all singled out Watson as the diamond at QB. Wonder if like last year with Goff and Wentz the losing teams will “overpay” and draft 3 or 4 too high again…probably huh.

2. By Don on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

I can’t wait for the draft to start so i can find out just how wrong I am.

3. By luisroc on Mar 30, 2017 | Reply

Darren:

If we draft a qb this year will he get the opportunity to compete for the #2qb spot? The best way for a quarterback to sit n develope their first year is to be the starter 2nd string back up in my opinion. The guy needs to be on the sideline looking at plays and figuring out how to adjust or react to different nfl scenarios, we mostly have two Qbs on the Actives list come gameday. I’m ok with getting a qb this year, just not our 1st rounder!lol

4. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

luisroc —

RE: QB

I would guess if they drafted a QB, he would sit for a year, so whether he was No. 2 or not wouldn’t really matter.

5. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Seem to recall the reason given that logan thomas did not progress year 1 was he was #3, no reps x scout team?

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Adam —

RE: Logan Thomas

Don’t know if that was the main reason.

7. By luisroc on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Darren:

Re:qb

Wouldn’t it limit as to how much he would learn if he was number 3. I mean Logan Thomas sat at #3 and didn’t learn much his rookie season, do you think BA will take a different approach with this guy? If he goes to the practice squad another team would scoop him up real quick. In my opinion being #2 at least has him involved in the action so that he is aware and gets the feel for live game play but from the sidelines. From what I heard 3rd stringers don’t get to practice as much as the starting and backup do. I just hope BA doesn’t end up making Stanton our starter in 2018 because the other qb wasn’t ready or because of Stantons seniority with the team.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Luisroc —

RE: QB

If they draft a QB, they will have three QBs on the roster, not two. As for practice time, I guess it depends on what you’d call No. 2. I have no doubt they would try to get the young guy as many practice reps as make sense, but if Palmer got hurt, I’d expect Stanton to probably play in front of a rookie. Depends on who they take and how the preseason goes, obviously.

9. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Pretty clear BA has no intention of letting Stanton go, no matter what, based his breakfast comments this week. So ZAC would get the axe if they draft QB.

10. By rod on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Looks to me like Mr. Bidwill had tickets to the “gun show”.

11. By Daniel Thompson on Mar 31, 2017 | Reply

Trubisky is a lot better than Mahomes, can see that after watching 2 minutes of highlights. I would take Watson and Kizer over him too. To me its a no brainer in taking Trubisky, lets not over think it, pretty easy to me.

12. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2017 | Reply

Don –

LOL!! I enjoyed your post. Too bad the so called draft “experts” NEVER say a word about being wrong – after so many of their mock drafts and projections turn out to be just that – wrong.

NFL draft “experts” and weathermen /women….when I am king of the world, they will the first two occupations that will under-go major changes. When I’m in charge, they will be paid according to job performance – like the rest of the world. Most of them will be looking for 2nd jobs REAL quick!!

13. By luisroc on Apr 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren:

Re:qb

Yeah I understand, I just looked at the whole logan Thomas situation as to why he wasn’t ready and his difficulties learning the playbook. From what I remember the reason given at the time was because being 3rd string you don’t get many reps to practice he wasnt ready and learning the playbook I guess depends on the individual. Geez you would’ve thought he would of been especially since we had to use him in against denver. I’m starting to think logan didn’t put enough effort as to being prepared. Oh well who cares, he’s a tight end now in buffalo, what an arm though.lol. thanks Darren for taking the time to respond back that’s really coo.

14. By clssylssy on Apr 2, 2017 | Reply

Darren:
    How much longer does BA have left on his contract? Do you think he will tie his retirement to Palmer’s and is the organization planning down the road when they bring in a new coach and how doing that will influence any QB they take in the draft or wait until 2018, perhaps gathering the major pieces they nee in this draft that will be able to provide the needed and valuable supporting roles down the road to a franchise QB?

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: BA

His contract runs through 2018 with a team option for 2019.

I don’t necessarily think he and Palmer are tied together. It could happen. I don’t think they’d pass on a QB they like. Keim isn’t going anywhere and he wants someone in place too.

16. By mitchaz on Apr 2, 2017 | Reply

When i study this tape of Dysert versus Ohio St. at Ohio St. I see a some very good things:

* strong pocket presence, setup, footwork
    * tough kid — doesn’t flinch under pressure
    * good at feeling and escaping pressure
    * nice compact throwing motion
    * squares his shoulders up pretty well when passing on the run — could improve the technique a little more
    * throws a very good deep ball, particularly up the left sideline (see TD at the 7:28 mark)
    * goes through progressions well, sees the whole field
    * looks off the safety from time to time
    * can throw into tight windows —
    * makes some chunk yardage throws
    * his WRs dropped a lot of catchable balls in this game — lots of jitters from his teammates, but he kept delivering passes — one WR dropped an easy TD that would have put Miami up 7-0.
    * put up good 1st quarter drives — with help from WRs he could have had Miami up 14-0.
    * forced the ball on a few occasions — once they got behind 35-3, he was pressing for sure.

My question is: how does Dysert stack up versus the QBs in this year’s draft?

My instincts tell me that he is well worth a good, long look in training camp. BA, Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald have spoken very highly of him. There is a good reason why the Cardinals activated him to the 53 man roster and would not let the Dolphins sign him off the PS after Tannehill got injured.

Some will say (and I understand) that he’s bounced around for a few years now — but he was behind Peyton Manning for 2 years, Jake Cutler for a year and Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore with the Dolphins.

You know, Kurt Warner bounced around some before he got his chance.

With QBs, so much depends on being at the right place at the right time with the right coach (like Dick Vermeil was for Warner).

With BA predicting that Palmer will play this year and next year — why not invest more time in Dysert?

He’s only 27 and in 2018 he would be a restricted free agent, so the Cardinals could easily keep him under their control.

But, if the Cardinals draft a QB — Dysert is the odd man out, right? Having already cut Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley, BA isn’t going to keep Dysert over Stanton, right?

Yet, Dysert has many of the physical QB traits that BA wants. How about waiting to see how he performs in BA’s offense before possibly reaching for a QB in this draft.

17. By hminus on Apr 2, 2017 | Reply

Agree Dysert should get some time to develope,would have more confidence in Dysert @ #2 & rookie @ #3…than to keep “dancing queen/pick machine”@ #2…

18. By Scott H on Apr 3, 2017 | Reply

Anyone see Mahomes’ 80 yard pass? Wow….don’t know if he can actually play QB in the NFL but that was impressive, nonetheless! Hope he doesn’t blow out his arm by showing that off…..

19. By CARDS62 on Apr 10, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz

really liked your note

I like Stanton as a person and teammate, but as a QB he is not the answer for us. I was hoping the first year we picked him up he would be the answer and Drew played well when Palmer was injured. Last couple of years he is just playing worse and worse. He has not played well in the preseason or regular season.

I think we have to draft a qb this year if we see one we like, and have a QB competition between Stanton and Dysert with the loser being cut. I know most people on our board hated Barkley, but I thought we should have kept him and cut Stanton last year.

Hey Scott H draft is in Philly this year were you able to get tickets?

Go Cards!

2. Mar 30, 2017: Cardinals president: Don't read into my attendance at Mahomes' workout - Sports NewsSports News
  3. Mar 30, 2017: Cardinals president: Don't read into my attendance at Mahomes' workout - Global Sports Centre
  4. Mar 30, 2017: Cardinals president: Don’t read into my attendance at Mahomes’ workout | The Draft Duel Cast
  5. Mar 31, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | Mahomes and Bidwill’s role at draft workouts – Arizona Cardinals News