Romo “retirement” and the dearth of QBs

Posted by Darren Urban on April 4, 2017 – 8:15 am

Tony Romo is leaving football to go into broadcasting. So were the reports Tuesday morning, as Romo remains Cowboys property long after it was thought he would have moved on. In a world where Carson Palmer and Ben Roethlisberger at least consider retirement and there is constant discussion about teams looking for long-term QB solutions and the ability for older QBs to be effective, it’s strange to see a guy like Romo walk away.

But the Cowboys were holding out for a draft pick, unwilling to just release Romo, and teams (Texans, Broncos) didn’t want to pick up Romo’s giant contract. So Romo apparently has taken himself out of the mix to go into TV. Will he stay there? You’d think CBS want to have something concrete, so maybe this is the real deal. But it’d be understandable to have some skepticism in a league where there are probably a team or two who would likely want Romo to play. The Texans, in fact, might only be a (healthy) Romo away from being a Super Bowl contender. Could Romo’s playing status change again come September? (It’s been noted by Cowboys writers that Romo isn’t in shape and may have been leaning to retirement anyway.)

This also underscores where the league is with quarterbacks, when a 36-year-old, oft-injured (albeit talented) player is potentially a major loss for someone. Because the landscape said Romo would likely would have ended up in the AFC, there wasn’t really going to be a direct impact on the Cardinals (although the Cards do visit Houston this coming season). Still, it’s an interesting story that may not have an ending yet.

Tags: , , ,

33 Responses to “Romo “retirement” and the dearth of QBs”

1. By Former USAF Pilot on Apr 4, 2017 | Reply

Off topic, but I can’t resist.

I found this item on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette website.

Starkey’s Mailbag: Is Jarvis Jones the worst draft pick of the Mike Tomlin era?
    April 4, 2017 11:00 AM

“Is Jarvis Jones the worst pick of the Mike Tomlin era?
    I say yes. He had six sacks, or roughly one per season.”

My comment: Yes Sir. Keim signed a great Free Agent pass rusher

2. By Christian on Apr 4, 2017 | Reply

This stuff really reminds me that our QB Golden Age is coming to an end. Palmer, Brady, Brees, and Rothlosberger are the last real champions of the era, following Warner, Manning, and now Romo out the door. We’ll see what the future holds, but we have been blessed to be football fans in times like these.

3. By Former USAF Pilot on Apr 4, 2017 | Reply

Based on the Thumbs Down (above), I think that most viewers believe that Jones will be quite the disrupter against opponents’ passing games (and quite possibly break the Cards’ single season and later career sack records ???)
    LMAO.

4. By Big Ken on Apr 4, 2017 | Reply

RE: Jarvis Jones He went in the first round for a reason why not give him a shot?

5. By Scott H on Apr 4, 2017 | Reply

Heavy sigh…..in the midst of what was supposed to be an aggressive free agency period, all we’ve got to talk about is Tony Romo’s retirement and how much fun Cardinals fans will be having in Las Vegas. Oh, and lost SB jerseys for Tom Brady and Kurt Warner.

Yay.

Darren, please don’t take my sarcasm as directed in any way at you. You do a fine job, sir, all year round. You can only write about what there is to write about. But for WEEKS now, there has been nothing. Nada. Zero. Frankly, I’m guessing you might be wishing there were something more substantial going on with this team, yourself.

Ah, but I see we are going to be getting some mobile tackling dummies….hey, can we count THEM as free agent acquisitions??? Can any of them play CB?

6. By Former USAF Pilot on Apr 4, 2017 | Reply

For those who might be interested in reading the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s reporter Joe Starkey’s Mailbag answers to Steelers’ fans questions, one of which involved the team’s worst draft picks, here is the link in which Mr. Starkey chose Jarvis Jones as the worst draft pick. He also named four other bad picks.

7. By Cody Zarr on Apr 4, 2017 | Reply

Have you ever been tempted to keep a spreadsheet of all the fanalyst’s negative comments about signings and team moves; Then at the end of the year go through it to see who was wrong just to post some snide reply under a different user name?

8. By Scott H on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

I guess how Romo’s retirement truly DOES impact the Cardinals is that it means at least one more team ( the team that Romo MIGHT have gone to ) will now need to address the QB position in the draft this year.

FWIW, can someone explain to me how Romo goes directly from his playing career to a prime spot in the broadcast booth, replacing Phil Simms????? How does he get that without having to spend some time in broadcasting at a lower level??? This strikes me as ridiculous. Even more ridiculous if Simms is being pushed out of his spot by Romo.

9. By Tradersbrain on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

This is the primary reason the Cards should draft a solid CB with the 13th pick. Palmer’s time is fading. Maybe 2 more years tops. Take advantage of what we have at QB NOW and win. I do hand it to the mock experts at NFL.com, they appear to understand our team needs. Not one NFL.com expert has a QB going to AZ in the first round. I can only hope they are correct.

10. By hminus on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

They see something here & realize he may fit in our system better than where he was before…a number of mis-utilized people in this league who would do quite well elsewhere…

11. By Scott H on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

So, I’m seeing where the Seahawks brass is coming out and saying that the talk around a trade for Richard Sherman is “real.” OK. I wonder if there will be any “real” interest or effort from a certain team that CLEARLY has to consider itself in win-now mode and needs a CB to make them “real” contenders on the field.

I seem to recall our GM saying something about being aggressive…..

We haven’t seen it yet. Wonder if we’ll see it now.

12. By D on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

Draft thoughts…

I am probably in the minority but I just don’t see AZ taking a QB at #13. They all will need years of work and none appear ready. The issue is that the top 4 could be gone by AZ’s second round draft selection. AZ is in a tough spot. I would say wait until next year’s draft but this could be BA’s last year coaching so it would be wise to get one this spring.

I wonder if AJ McCarron is a BA type of QB. Cincy is over valuing him in a trade. If he interests BA/Keim, maybe offer a 3rd Round draft pick and J. Bethel in a deal. AJ was a 5th round draft pick. After taking a pay cut, sure looks like Bethel’s last year with AZ. (unless he shuts down as CB all WR’s in spring/summer camp)

Outside of Lattimore from OSU, I don’t see a CB worth taking at #13 that couldn’t be drafted in Round 2. I like Q. Wilson from FL in Round 2 at CB. He is long and can play man.

I don’t see R. Foster, ILB from ALA still available at #13, but that may not be a bad thing. He is a little small for ILB and a LB with shoulder issues should scare a GM. I like H. Reddick from Temple, great size, awesome athlete, only concern would be learning to play inside instead of OLB. He is too small for OLB in the NFL, but does remind me of Ryan. Shazier from Pittsburg. He would benefit learning from Dansby. Reddick should be available at 13.

AZ has too many needs on D to draft a WR in Round 1.

13. By KMART on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

Have you heard if the Cards have any interest in Jay Cutler as a back up? I think he would be an upgrade over Drew Stanton.

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

KMart —

RE: Cutler

I don’t see Cutler here right now. Not as long as Palmer is here.

15. By Scott H on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Can you say if there IS anything to say about where we are with Chris Johnson? I haven’t heard the team say they’re moving on….I haven’t heard about him being linked with any other teams….I haven’t heard him say he’s done….there is a plan to convert one of our RB’s to WR…..and I hear about the Raiders being a possible landing spot for a RB ( Marshawn ) who has been out of football for a year and seemed pretty shot by the end of the last season during which he played. I mean….based on recent performance, wouldn’t CJ seem a better option for the Raiders??? Would they really be considering Marshawn Lynch if CJ were readily available?

Given all of the above…..it seems like his spot here remains open for him. And he seems to remain quite available. Does my reading of the tea leaves on this seem reasonable?

And FWIW, unless AP is just looking like he doesn’t have anything left, I can’t believe he isn’t a Raider OR a Giant by now. If the Giants want to keep the Eli Manning window open for another year or two, they need to get him a RB to help him out. They seem pretty solid everywhere else.

16. By Darren Urban on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: CJ2K

The door isn’t closed on Johnson coming back. Still TBD what happens. My guess is he has to decide if he’s willing to come here for the money they are offering (probably not much) and whether he’d be willing to sit behind DJohnson.

You say Lynch has been out of football a year, which is true, but Chris Johnson barely played last season, so I’m thinking that’s a wash at this point.

17. By Cardinalchris on Apr 5, 2017 | Reply

Echoing Kurt Warner, the NFL, and wannabe NFL QB’s, needs a developmental league.

18. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

Christian….You did not include Eli Manning as one of your top quarterbacks. Did you forget him or do you not think he should be rated that high? He has been on two Super Bowl winning teams, he plays every down every year and plays well consistently.

19. By Scott H on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

RE: CJ / Lynch

I get what you are saying but I feel like as of the last time either player was playing, CJ looked like he had more to offer.

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: CJ/Lynch

Maybe. I’d be inclined to go with CJ. But I don’t think it’s cut-and-dried.

21. By Scott H on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

Christian –

I agree with your general premise but take some exception to Romo being listed among all of those other QB’s as a champion. Every other QB you listed WAS a champion at some point during their career. Romo was not. Those other guys are TRULY great QB’s. Romo is not.

IMHO, Romo was a QB who played very well at times but never had the consistency to enter the realm of “great.” He also has a very limited post-season resume.

22. By clssylssy on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

I see where BA feels we are good at WR and doesn’t see taking a receiver in the draft as a high priority(nor does he see the need for considering bringing back Boldin). What? Does he think Fitz coming back another year is solving the problem for the future any more than Palmer’s return? Has he forgotten how thin we were last season when all the smurfs didn’t hold up…does he really think Ellington will be able to block for Palmer and last an entire season when he never has? I can see Ellington as a situational player but we need size and physicality, Our receiver room is down to nothing paractically but DJ (who apparently also is expected to be our receiver savior when needed) but I’m wondering how he will last an entire season with all that exposure. Ir now looks like the Saints are going to be in the market for an heir to Brees and Arians and Payton want the same thing in a QB, so it will be interesting to see who wins out on that one.
    I can see Marshawn Lynch playing for the Raiders as that’s his hometown team and he grew up a Raiders fan, same goes for Sherman. The Raiders have a real shot at the SB with the talent they have PLUS they aren’t afraid to spend money. While CJ may be the better RB as far as skillset, Lynch fits the Raider “type” (big and physically tough) plus being from the hood works with the image and is a great selling point for the fans. I was reading an article yesterday on Sherman comparing his stats since coming out to PP’s and Peterson pales in comparison–I still thhink he would make a killer aaddition to our defense and give our defense some teeth.
    I would love to see CJ return but I also want to see him get a respectible contract, and realistially know that’s not going to happen with Arizona.
    Everybody seems to be hanging all of our hopes on the draft and we’ve seen how well that’s worked out for us in the past. The Seahawks have been busy adding linebackers (still need to fix their 0-line), the 9ers have been signing some pretty good talent (would have loved seeing Hightower come here even), the “Hapless Rams” are projected to possible unseat the Cards this season by NFL.com, so, I’m really expecting to be Wow’d by what has seemed to be a nonexistent plan for the Cards.

23. By Scott H on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

Christian –

Oops….just realized that Romo was not the only QB you mentioned that has not been a champion – Palmer has not been, either. The sun has set on Romo’s career but who knows, maybe Palmer can still make it happen.

24. By Scott H on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

JohnnyBlue –

RE: Eli Manning

I agree whole-heartedly. I think Eli gets over-looked in too many discussions. His big brother will always be regarded the better QB ( by most ) and with all those commercials he did, he was more of a celebrity. And don’t get me wrong, I’ve always loved Peyton Manning as a player and as a person.

But Eli has more SB wins than his big brother! AND many other QB’s that many people claim were / are better QB’s.

I wouldn’t even listen to someone trying to put Romo in the same sentence as Eli Manning. That would be borderline criminal.

25. By Scott H on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

Not trying to rush to judgement on Romo as a broadcaster, but….he did some kind of teleconference for / with the media that was about an hour long, I heard some of it, and I was not impressed. I got nothing from him. And he’s taking over a prime spot in a booth for one of the major networks??? Again, I don’t get how that happens. Gotta wonder….if he’s not a QB from America’s Team, does he get this job right off the bat??

26. By Christian on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

Johnny-

Eli is definitely a great QB. Just spaced him for some reason. I also forgot to mention Rodgers, which goes to show how incomplete that list is of QBs that have made the past decade great.

Scott H-

When has Palmer been a champion? I like him and am grateful that he is a Cardinal, but I’m not sure his career has been more impressive than Romo’s. Both have played well, and both have been generally overlooked outside their fan bases. If anything, I think that speaks to my main point, where even good quarterbacks that have held their franchises up for years can be overlooked because of the other “great” guys at the position.

27. By Joe Cardea on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

USAF pilot, do you think the cards signed him to be a primary pass rusher? Jones and Golden will hardly ever come off the field if things go as planned. I imagine they’ll always be on the field in passing situations. Buchannon and Dansby inside. He’s a back up. A good one.

28. By Former USAF Pilot on Apr 6, 2017 | Reply

Joe,

I realize that Jones and Golden will be the primary pass rushers.
    However, when Jarvis Jones is on the field, I would expect him to have more of an impact than he had for the Steelers.
    I didn’t pay any attention to him when he played for the Steelers. I was basing my opinion on his sack record (a total of six) over the last five years and what the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette sports writer, Joe Starkey, wrote. Starkey should have a valid opinion after watching him (and the other four “bad” draft choices) for several years.

29. By Scott H on Apr 7, 2017 | Reply

Christian –

RE: Palmer

I’ve since corrected myself on that.

30. By Christian on Apr 7, 2017 | Reply

Scott H-

Both of our comments were in moderation at the same time. But I don’t know, I think that Romo has had a better career than most people want to admit. Not that I was ever really a fan, but I can appreciate the player that he was. Besides, championships aren’t the only proof of good QB play. i.e. Dan Marino

31. By DAVEMAHAM on Apr 7, 2017 | Reply

Doesn’t seem strange to me at all that Romo would walk away. He’s only played 20 games over the past three seasons.

32. By DAVEMAHAM on Apr 7, 2017 | Reply

Plus, isn’t Romo only like 2-3 years younger than Palmer to begin with?

33. By Scott H on Apr 7, 2017 | Reply

Christian –

One thing I always appreciated and respected about Romo was his toughness. He would try to play through anything. And he did. He was a tough guy, no doubt about that.

In regard to a Romo-Palmer comparison…..ya know, if they both end up with no SB wins on their resume, they pretty much end up being the same QB for me. I’d have to look at their career numbers side by side at that point to see if anything jumped out at me where one would clearly separate himself from the other.

If Palmer achieves no further post-season glory during his career, that will be one thing they would definitely have in common – they were generally poor performers on the post-season stage.