QB for later or another player now?

Posted by Darren Urban on April 12, 2017 – 12:00 pm

When I was covering the Cardinals for the East Valley Tribune, the team held the 10th overall selection in the draft. There was much talk about whether the team might take a quarterback of the future. Kurt Warner was, after all, getting older and was only OK in 2005. The Cards had signed a big-name running back in Edgerrin James, however, and Kurt — understandably — wanted to see the Cards go in a different direction with an eye on maybe reaching a Super Bowl.

“What’s the best way to do that?” Warner said at the time. “Not to take a guy who’s going to take over my job. Go get somebody who can help us next year.”

(The Cardinals drafted Matt Leinart. Leinart was inserted for Warner early in 2006 at QB. Then Leinart struggled in 2007, Warner got his job back, and eventually, Warner got his Super Bowl trip regardless.)

It’s not always an easy decision. Heck, it’s hard for a team needing a QB right now sometimes to pull the trigger in the draft — see the Browns, who desperately need a quarterback yet are likely to take defensive lineman Myles Garrett with the first pick instead, because there isn’t an Andrew Luck available. That decision gets that much harder for a team like the Cardinals, who have Carson Palmer in place and will sit any quarterback they might draft in 2017. Meanwhile, if the Cards want to gear up for a potential run this season, with the clock ticking on Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald, finding an immediate impact guy (on defense) makes a lot of sense with the first-round pick.

Still, the glaring long-term need for a quarterback doesn’t go away.

The Cardinals are in a good spot with Palmer. He is willing to mentor a young quarterback. He’s made that clear recently, and said the same back in 2014, when he still knew he was going to play a few more years.

“I know I’m not going to play forever,” Palmer said at the time. “It’s hard for us players to admit that. The older you get the harder it is to admit it. You don’t see it happening. You still feel good, you still feel confident, you still feel healthy. But that’s the reality. That’s the business. It doesn’t matter how you feel about it, whether it irks you or you don’t care. That’s the game.”

The first round, and the 13th pick, await.

Tags: , , , ,

49 Responses to “QB for later or another player now?”

1. By joe holst on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

Drop down 10 spots in the 1st and get both. I hope they get Taco Charlton or Malik Mcdowell, Deshaun Watsons arm is weak so he is a no go, Kizer seems lazy and unmotivated, Mahomes will need 2 years to get ready, I think Laundry Jones the back up for the Steelers is a hidden gem and will make a great starter.

2. By D on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

Like the Gov. and the National Debt, kick the QB can down the road.

Just because a team needs a QB, doesn’t make those top 5 QBs in the draft any better. Besides D. Watson, who has proven to be a winner and has played 3 years, the rest of the QB’s don’t have enough playing time to spend First Round Capital on them.

Time for the Scouts to Stand on the Table this week for their guys.

4 Round AZ Draft:

1) H. Reddick ILB
    2) Q. Wilson CB
    3) L. Jerome – Safety /Returner
    4) D. Johnson RG

3. By Patrick on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

If the Cardinals say there is one QB in this draft who is ready right now, draft him if he is there in round 1. If not take best player available and see if a QB who can be developed is there in round 2.

4. By mal on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

My guess is that Palmer, Fitz, and BA all return for 2018. And maybe beyond.

Palmer doesn’t really want to retire. You’ll have to throw him out the door to get him to retire someday. He probably just used that “retire” feint in January as leverage to get coach to agree to a better protection scheme for next season, since he endured such a brutal beating last year.

And for all of Fitz’s retirement talk, he couldn’t even make it past the danged national anthem for the Wildcard game before he said he knew the fire still burned and he would be back. Fitz was only talking retirement cuz last year was such a disappointment and frustrating and long. Just start winning, make it to the playoffs, make it fun again, and he’ll be back.

BA wont go away while he still has those 2 guys playing for him, so he’ll be back, too.

Draft to win this year and worry about getting a young new QB next year.

5. By Cactus jeff on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

TJ Watt better than his brother JJ Watt.

6. By Jacob Hewitt on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

I say the Cardinals need to Draft a rookie QB as a runner up for Palmer when he is gone! The cardinals don’t need anymore old QB’s that will stay with the cardinals for 3 or 4 years they need a QB who will last 8 or 9 years they need to start up a good team with a awesome QB that they could Draft this year! I say don’t pass up on the opening I say go for a QB first pick they get!!!

7. By Scott H on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

Tough call….but I’m firmly on the WIN-NOW side of the fence. Look, the future always matters, but….c’mon, let’s face it – you didn’t extend Fitz and Palmer into 2017 so you could start planning for the future now. Fitz and Palmer didn’t come back for 2017 so they could help prepare your QB of the future while they beat themselves up for another season.

You extended Fitz / Palmer so you could keep the window open. THEY came back for one more shot – a LEGIT shot – at winning it all.

This team HAS to try ti win NOW, therefore, they need to draft players that can help make an impact THIS SEASON. That is probably not gonna be a QB.

Look, if Andrew Luck is there this year, you probably take him. If he’s not, then pass ( no pun intended ). If it looks like you stand to be able to get the same caliber QB next year, then go with that. Yeah, with QB’s, no one really knows. No one can REALLY see the Russell Wilson’s and the Dak Prescott’s coming. But when THOSE teams drafted THOSE QB’s, they weren’t being looked upon as legit SB contenders THAT season. The Cardinals are. So, they have to maximize THAT opportunity.

Play for the moment in 2017. Draft to play for that moment.

8. By Jacob Hewitt on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

Watson is a star QB in rising look at Cam Newtown and Russel Wilson and Jamies Winston I would compair Watson to them everyone thought Russel Wilson was gonna be a pooper and look at him now ! Do not pass up on Watson that would be stupid and I know the cardinals are not stupid if they have a QB that can rush he can keep the defense tired then chunk the long ball! Watson may had not have had the best combine but I would give the kid a chance like we did with Tyran Matthieu I’m just saying the cardinals should get Watson!!! And if the Cardinals miss Watson in the draft and a team gets him he becomes a star I gonna laugh all day long and probally say told y’all so!!!

9. By Richard S on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

Get a QB somewhere in this draft, maybe the Texas Tech QB who has a strong arm. Whomever you add will need some seasoning when Palmer calls it a day.

10. By Jacob Hewitt on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

After alll Watson did bring Clemson to two championships and won one of them if he can do that to the cardinals that would be awesome

11. By Scott H on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

mal –

Hey, from your lips to God’s ears! But I think that is optimistic to believe that Fitz and Palmer are going to play beyond this year. They may WANT to….great players and true competitors never WANT to stop playing. But the laws of nature rule at some point.

Hey, just LOOKING at them, I’d say both Fitz and Palmer could go beyond 2017. They both LOOK more than capable. Heck, Fitz just led the league in receptions. But it’s easy for US to look at them and see that. THEY are the ones that have to deal with the physical reality of an NFL season…and what that feels like.

Kurt Warner played one of the best games of his career – and one of the best games any QB EVER played – then retired a couple of weeks later. Some guys just reach a point where they are done, even when they are obviously still physically capable of playing – and playing at a high level.

If I’m placing my bets now, I’m betting on the liklihood that both players are done after this year.

What the Cards do in the draft MAY actually give us a better indication of what THEY may be expecting these players to do.

12. By mal on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

Scott H-

Yes, I understand your point, but the fact remains that for all of Larry’s retirement talk he still couldn’t even make it thru the national anthem of the Wildcard Game. That’s not the later divisional playoff games or even once the game had started, but during the goshdarn national anthem! People talk about Larry like he’s 40, but he’s only 33.

Carson is not Kurt. I believe what retired Kurt as much as anything was that vicious illegal blindside hit he took in his very last game. Do you recall that hit? It looked like it almost killed him. And he had some super bowls under his belt at that point, which I think made it easier for him to quit.

Listen to Palmer talk — he’s a gym rat. He likes to practice, he says he actually enjoys the grind. That’s not someone who wants to quit.

They both are still playing at a super high level, so ability will not be a factor.

Really, do you think if the Cards look good this year and roll along and kick some butt and go deep into the playoffs, such as lose a close championship game, then those 2 guys will just hang it up and walk away? Nah, I just don’t see it.

Last season was wicked brutal, like they were under a curse. Every little stupid thing that could go wrong did. Carson took more sacks than any other QB and Larry played hurt all year. It would make me talk about retirement too. It’s only natural. Just win baby and watch these guys light up.

13. By Hammy on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

As a fan I think we should not draft a QB at 13. I still think we have a great chance to compete for a title run this year. Dont jump and take QB that early when they will sit him behind Palmer and Stanton for a year anyways. We could definitely get a good quality quarterback in round 3 such as Nathan Peterman or Josh Dobbs. The best thing for us to do is get a PLAYMAKER a la Jabrill Peppers or Marcus Lattimore. Corner is our weak spot opposite P2.

@Darren do you think we absolutely need a quarterback in this draft or can we afford to wait and see what we have in Zac Dysert this preseason?

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

Hammy —

RE: QB

I think if you see the right QB fall in the right round, you draft him. Dysert has been around a while — odds are low he develops into a big-time QB.

15. By LR Wolf on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

Just for yucks….try and name quarterbacks playing today who came out of losing or average programs? Then start evaluating whom you think the team should take if you are inclined to pick a qb.

16. By georgiebird on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

With a final year commitment from Larry and Carson, it would be difficult to draft a QB who won’t help this year.
    The only way the Cards can get both a top notch player is by trading down. SK has to find a willing partner and pull off a great trade. A possibility would be the Cards giving up #13 and their 2nd round choice for drafting twice in the 1st round. Takes two to tango.

17. By Coach K on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

#13 may be too high for Mahomes. If the Cardinals agree, then trade down in round one and take Mahomes at 17-24, then get an extra second round pick and add talent. We need linebacker, safety, tight end, guard and corner depth.

18. By CARDS62 on Apr 12, 2017 | Reply

It will be really nice if we can draft at 13 and get a player that actually plays well for us in 2017 verses our last couple of 1st rounders who gave us absolutely nothing their rookie year.

Like Jacob I like D. Watson of Clemson at QB. All the kid does is win. He is not a sure thing, but if he is there when we pick at 13 he will be hard to pass up.

I understand trying to win it all now, but lets face it we are a good team now but there are a lot of good teams and to win it all you just need the ball to bounce your way so I do not think our first round draft choice will decide if we win the Super Bowl in 2017. I think getting a great year from a kicker, punter, and our special teams will help us more.

Hey Scott were you able to get tickets to the draft in Philly?

Go Cards!

19. By clssylssy on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

Seems like Warner knew what he was talking about so maybe the “expert” scouting guys should listen to the real “experts” (those who have actually played a down at he professional level), who have been there and know from experience what it takes to lead a team and win games.,
    FWIW, it does seem that the majority of players entering the draft these days lack the maturity and life experience to lead a group of men (many older and light years ahead of them in NFL IQ) and anybody we take won’t be a starter in BA’s system under any circumstances.I think we have negelected to plan for the future until our back was against the wall and decisions made in a panic rarely turn out good (example Kevin Kolb). IF we hit a home run with this draft, we possibly could still have a slim chance at the playoffs with our current roster…after this year, the Rams and 9ers will be stronger and we are likely to be in total rebuilding mode.
    I do think Larry will not be back after his contract runs out…he may still feel like chasing a SB ring even after he “retires” a Cardinal (he’s got more left in the tank than Marshawn Lynch) but, I also think there are a lot of other avenues open to him and more and more players are retiring young as they don’t want to teach their kids football from a wheelchair or in so much pain they can’t enjoy the rest of their life.

20. By Jay High on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

Cardinals need impact players at corner and ILB. Forget QB at 13. The staff realized last year they got rid of players that lead and motivate and elevate everyone around them, ie Red Bryant and Dwight Freeney. Kevin Minter was just good but great defenses need dominate players like Kam Chancellor and Luke Kuechly. If Reuben Foster is available it’s a no brainer.

21. By JTDG on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

If you think you can win it all, you skip drafting a QB and go all in. If you are just a pretender , draft a QB. I think a truthful look at the team by management could determine that.

As for the QBs in this draft;

Deshawn Watson
    All he does is win. He reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson. Both are good leaders, who are not going to carry a team by themselves, like Luck, but given players around them can lead a team to the playoffs.

Deshone Kiser
    Best QB in draft if you are looking at him in a pair of shorts. Some games he could be the “Luck” of the draft. Other games, he is so bad he is benched. His coach said he needs to play more to get better. Tough to do that with Palmer here.

Pat Mahomes
    Gun slinging side show. What I mean is, when Farve was drafted by the Falcons, Glanville would beat other coaches he could throw it into the upper deck. That’s all he was good for. Never played. The packers traded for him, and the right coach battled with him for years but won with him. Farve may have the most Tds but he also has the most ints. If BA had him, He would either become great or put BA in the hospital again. Not worth the risk imo.

Mitchell Trubisky
    Another guy who has only 13 games and is inconsistent. Even many completions are off target. Is he Mark Sanchez? I just don’t trust him.

Davis Webb
    I just don’t see what some see. To me, he is a 4th or 5th round flyer. Throws lots of short quick passes from shot gun. How does that translate to what the cardinals do? He is physically gifted. That’s it.

Josh Dobbs
    OK, during the season I was critical of the guy. But then I saw a stat. Dobbs is around 50% comp ratio on deep passes over 20 yards. He also had 21 TDs on deep passes. That is an amazing stat of accuracy down field. He also has the legs to run. He is an interesting guy and if he is there in round 4, he is worth the risk.

To me, the cards should look CB , safety and Receiver in the first 3 rounds (not necessarily in that order) and then take a flyer on a 4th round QB like Dobbs. If he doesn’t work out, next year has a better crop of QBs.

22. By JTDG on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

The one thing about drafting a LB is , he most likely will not play in 2017 over dansby and bucannon.

Foster seems like a good pick but does he have any impact in 2017?

I think a CB, Safety, and wide receiver could start day one.

Ideally,
    Round 1 – Malik Hooker. FS
    Round 2 – Marlon Humphries CB
    Round 3 – Zay Jones. WR
    Round 4 – Josh Dobbs

23. By Scott H on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

mal –

And I get your points as well. But, really, it doesn’t matter what you and I think or what we see or what we think we see. We can’t know what is going on in their heads – or how their bodies are feeling after Week 11, ya know?

Again, easy for US to say Larry is only 33. OK. But what does 33 ( soon to 34, I believe ) feel like after Week 11 of an NFL season?? I can’t say I know that.

And is there something else that Larry wants to move on to at this point? Maybe there is. Who knows? We know he has passions for travel and playing golf.

BTW, yes, I do remember the hit that Warner took during the Saints game that knocked him into next week. But do you REALLY think that hit was all it took? That he was all set to keep playing but that ONE hit changed everything? I don’t buy it. I also remember that there were whispers swirling about his possible retirement before the 2009 regular season had even finished. So…I think there was more to it than his taking that one hit in that one game.

I don’t think Carson Palmer is immune to the same concerns that Kurt Warner may have had for his health.

As to how the team plays this year may factor into it for either of them….good question. I get it. Really, who knows? But I can’t make any assumptions that if the team plays well and goes deep into the post-season, they would both want to keep playing.

Maybe the best case scenario for all of us is that the Cards win the SB this year and they both go out in a blaze of glory, retire as champions. Let’s hope for that!

24. By Scott H on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

Cards 62 –

Nah, I have no interest in going to the draft. But I WILL be looking for tickets to see the Cardinals when they come to Philly this year! Hoping to see Fitz beat the Eagles one more time!

25. By Joe C. on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

Here’s my take. You only take a QB at 13 if you REALLY think he is THE QB. Its too high a pick to reach on. Can Buchannon move back to safety? We need a long term CB. Is it Williams? I don’t think they let Bethel out of a year commitment if they thought he was. Drafting a QB is like going all in trying to draw to an inside straight. If you aren’t drafting #1 you have to see who’s available when you draft. Both QB’s and others. Take BPA and take your chances on future QB availability. Sign Cutler to ride the bench and heal at lower dollars, trade Stanton to Houston or Denver and get more than he’s worth. work out Cutlers contract so 2017 is low and pay him in 2018. If he doesn’t work out cut him in 2019. Buy time.

26. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

JTDG…it’s not Farve, it’s Favre.

27. By Scott H on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

Joe –

You had me up until the word Cutler entered your post. Two things –

1) What makes you think Jay Cutler wants to ride someone’s bench for a couple years??? Don’t you think he’s gonna want to start somewhere??

2) Honestly, where do you see Jay Cutler leading this team?? If he truly had it, why would the Bears have released him?? And why do you think there has there been so little interest in him??

Damn, man, the Bears didn’t even try to trade him! Doesn’t that tell you SOMETHING?????

He serves no purpose on our bench. Whatever we’d be paying him to “ride the bench and heal” would be a total waste. AND he serves no purpose on the field since he is not a winning QB. So, what’s the point? We don’t need Derek Anderson all over again.

Honestly, I KEEP Drew Stanton before I go with Jay Cutler. And BTW, what do you REALLY think Stanton’s trade value is?? And why are Houston or Denver ( or anyone else ) giving you more than he’s worth??

We all know this team needs to find the right young QB to build around. Whether they draft him this year, next year, the year after….who knows? But IMHO, there is NO benefit to having Jay Cutler here at any point along the way. None.

Great….we’ve gone from talking more about Tony Romo than I ever wanted to to talking more about Jay Cutler than I ever wanted to. Please let somebody sign this guy OR let him retire, too, so he can cease to be a topic of conversation!

28. By Joe Cardea on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

My wandering thoughts were meant to say if there isn’t the QB at 13 look at LB and CB. If we draft an LB can Buchannon move to safety? If we can hit two of three CB/LB/Safety we will be in great shape. Grab an o lineman veteran. Take a receiver late. I think we’ll challenge for the west easily.

29. By truths4all on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

The Cards will take Mahomes at #13 even though that is too high a pick for a 2 year project.

All of the QBs rated above Mahomes are not worth drafting in the first round BECAUSE none of them have proven to be able to change out of called plays to ones that exploit the defense.

Mahomes was allowed to do so by his HC Kingsburry, and he had limited success and showed too much gambling based on his arm, but the one thing you cannot teach in the NFL is to improve your college accuracy level in the NFL. Mahomes offer both accuracy and some actual game success in changing at the line of scrimmage the called plays that would go into the heart of the defense being played into other plays that produced positive yardage

30. By clssylssy on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    I have to agree with Mel on the impact that hit on Warner contributed to his retirement. As I recall, there was a lot of press around the valley about Brenda Warner’s role in his decision as they had five kids including babies and she was worried about her family with that was a pretty scary concussion and the lawsuit against the league by former players etc. He was also brought in along with Brett Favre to testify in Bountygate, as a player allegedly targeted (Warner said he did not believe he was) because of the seriousness of the hit. The point is, more and more players are electing to retire while they are somewhat healthy and not push the odds in spite of the competitor that lives within their soul; Palmer is in a similar situation as Warner was with a young family, secure but minus the rings. It’s amazing how something like the addition of kids can change the equation and impact a player’s game, which is another reason I question whether we will ever see the same Honey Badger on the field again; the stakes have changed and it’s no longer just about him throwing caution to the wind and playing with unbridled abandonment. It doesn’t have to do with loss of skills but more to do with maturity.

31. By Dan Z. on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

Cards need a CB and a Inside Linebacker. The best fIt available at 13 goes first. Then they need a WR. Many to choose from.
    Save your money and draft Pitt QB, Nate Petterman in the 3rd-4th round and you won’t be disappointed.
    This David Johnsons team now and his many different uses. Including at wideout.
    Compensation picks in the 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds will be huge for the Cards ability to get deep at many position this year. This years draft is loaded with everything the Cards need. Should be an A rated draft for them this year.
    Go Cards!

32. By Coach K on Apr 13, 2017 | Reply

Jay High, is that you old buddy. My old coaching partner? This is Kevin.

I like your thinking on picks. I like the inside backer from Florida Jarrad Davis that many compare to Ray Lewis. I think he will be a steal if he lasts until pick #45. He may go at the end of round one however. If Cards don’t take QB, then perhaps they move down and get Davis plus extra picks. I also agree they need a corner, but a safety also. They also need to try and get a Tight End as this is a very deep class. I like the Clemson kid Leggett. I think JTDG might have a steal in his suggestion of John Dobbs in round 4. I’m liking him over Mahomes in round one, but Mahomes is a gamer and a big mystery. You either get the next Bret Favre, or a bust like Akili Smith. Wonder if Keim will roll the dice.

33. By Kevin S Mesa on Apr 14, 2017 | Reply

While I don’t disagree with the premise of trading down, people have to remember that trading down requires a partner… someone who wants to trade UP. And it’s not clear that there are a lot of teams who want to do that.

I heard on the radio yesterday that four of the top six teams in this year’s draft — SF, Chi, Ten and NYJ — have all expressed a willingness to trade down. (Tells you how bad the QB class is, since a couple of those teams are desperate for a QB.) And I have to imagine there are many more teams in that category.

It’s not like you just go to the Commissioner and say, “Hey, we’d like the #22 plus an extra third-round pick in exchange for our #13.” You have to find someone willing to make you an offer. And I’d say the vast majority of teams are looking to accumulate more picks if they can. Law of supply and demand — when there’s too much supply (too many teams trying to trade down), prices go down. So we’re not likely to get as much for our #13 pick if we trade down as people might expect.

34. By Joe C. on Apr 14, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,
    I read Cutler might sit out. So my take is grab him and pay him low, since he’s siting out (my premise) he’ll take a low amount. Evaluate him for a year. If he’s what you think he is cut him. If it takes some money in 2018 to make the deal work and to make sure you keep him if he works out fine. Its a gamble. It buys you a year or two to solve the QB problem. What is Stanton worth? I don’t know. Let’s say sixth round pick. So a potential playoff team like Houston or Denver gives up a five to back stop their young guys. Long term I’d rather have a five and Cutler than Stanton. the whole premise hinges on there not being a QB worth a first or second, using the first and second for immediate help, and Cutler can be had without cap space crippling effects. Personally I think its such a great move that it is probably unrealistic. Darren, what is your King Solomon like take?

35. By CARDS62 on Apr 14, 2017 | Reply

Looking at several mock drafts and they have us taking a WR at # 13 and no QBs going before we pick. Will be very interesting if we have our pick of QBs at # 13.

JTDG – OSU and Tennessee are my # 1 and # 2 college teams I follow and I have seen many games at both stadiums. Malik Hooker and M. Lattimore are freak athletes, but this is the first year they could get on the field for OSU due to injuries and a lot of talent at OSU. Gareon Conley is the CB for OSU that played CB for 3 years at OSU. So interesting that potential means so much more than production to NFL teams.
    Joshua Dobbs of Tenn. is a great athlete, but my opinion does not have the skill set for the NFL. He will hit the long ball on occasion but we will lead the league with 3 and outs with him at QB. I pass on Dobbs.

I will watch the draft Thursday night and will blog who I think we should pick before we select, but Watson will be hard for me to pass on at # 13.

GO Cards!

36. By Kevin S Mesa on Apr 14, 2017 | Reply

Cutler isn’t going anywhere to be a backup.

37. By Joe C. on Apr 14, 2017 | Reply

I’m not sure why Cutler wouldn’t sign as a back up. Say you give him $20M for two years, heavy on the second year. He chills, learns the offense, plays golf in the best weather in the world. No pressure. If Palmer gets hurt he steps in, otherwise he gets a free year. On a contender. If he’s all that you can tear up the contract and redo it for big bucks in 2018. If he sucks trade him for a seventh round pick. Or do like Houston and trade him and a supplemental pick for nothing. Either way you focus on 2017. All these college QB’s we’re talking about are inaccurate. No way I’m drafting a big arm that can’t put the ball where he wants it. TD to interception ration is the #1 stat for a QB. NFL defenses are too good to wing it. No risk it no bisquit!

38. By Sackman on Apr 14, 2017 | Reply

Forget about drafting a QB this year. You need to ask yourself would a QB help you out this year? Probably won’t even see the field. Now, if a top WR was available at the 13th pick. You would have to ask yourself would he be able to help us out this year and beyond? I would say yes. Perfect timing for Fitz to train him up, and he would give Palmer another weapon on offense this year. There isn’t a sure fire pick of QB in this years draft. Teams that pick one up, either are rebuilding or desperate. Your #1 pick in the draft has to be a HOME RUN. People lose jobs when the miss on a QB!

39. By Scott H on Apr 15, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

I’m not discounting any impact the hit he took in the Saints game may have had on Warner and his decision to retire. What I AM saying is that I think Warner was going to retire after the 2009 season, regardless. That hit may have put an exclamation point on it, but I think his mind was already made up. I think there was no way Warner was playing in 2010. I really don’t think anything – not the lure of another SB ring or the 10 million he was supposed to make in 2010 – was going to bring him back.

40. By Scott H on Apr 15, 2017 | Reply

Joe –

RE: Cutler

OK. But I don’t want a QB who wants to sit out!! To me, that kinda sums up what I have always not liked about Cutler – there is no fire in him. Half the time, he looks like he’s half asleep. I want a pulse, ya know? I want a competitor like a Tom Brady or a Philip Rivers or a Drew Brees. Cutler has always just seemed too passive. And passive is not what you want in a QB. Or, at least, not what I want.

Stanton is probably somewhere else next year, regardless. BUT….if Palmer is going to retire after this year, MAYBE they want Stanton to stay to mentor whoever their new young QB is going to be. Honestly, I’d be OK with that. Mentors don’t have to be great QB’s to be effective. Being a back-up often lends itself to being a good teacher.

But let’s worry about that later! Let’s give 2017 all our focus right now.

41. By Joe Cardea on Apr 15, 2017 | Reply

Scott H.,
    I agree focus on 2017. Use the first two picks on players for now and future. But now first. I’m not relly serious about Cutler but if we could leverage his lack of drive and maybe light a fire its a fun thought.

42. By clssylssy on Apr 16, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    I don’t think Warner was chasing (more) glory and I would probably agree with you but for the fact that Kurt Warner, like Larry Fitzgerald, is a very principaled man and, I believe they both are part of a rare breed whose word means something; a contract is a committment and legal handshake (nevermind that franchises don’t see it that way except when it benefits them). Kurt was under contract for another year and I think he planned to honor his end of the contract, which is why his retirement caught everyone off guard and unprepared for what followed. Some guys, still have integrity and don’t quit on their contract except for extenuating circumstances. I think that savage hit to the head was a reality check for Kurt, and he decided it wasn’t worth the risk to his family…priorities.
    The Saints took us out of the running by taking out our QB, and the fact that we have had that happen again since that experience makes me often appear cynical in questioning our front office’s ability to learn from past mistakes.
    The really great teams that are left to compete by the time December rolls around are the teams who have planned for injuries, have built depth, have some surprises waiting in the wings and haven’t pinned all their hopes on one or two players who they believe to be bulletproof–as we’ve seen every year, they aren’t!

43. By Scott H on Apr 17, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

All of that is certainly sensible. I’ll pull back a bit and say that I merely believe Warner was probably not going to play in 2010. It wasn’t a huge breaking story everywhere but I remember that right before the 2009 playoffs started, there it was – a story in USA Today Sports Weekly that was all about how Warner was thinking about calling it a career after their post-season ended. Yes, his family / Brenda and her concerns were certainly a factor in that. It spoke about how Kurt was, with his spirituality, was praying on it and hoping that God would tell him what to do, etc.

But this was coming out BEFORE the Saints game and the vicious hit he took that, as you say, was the last straw.

Wasn’t it also during that 2009 season that he left a game against the Rams after taking a hit and was supposed to return the following week ( against the Titans ) but was ruled out that Sunday morning due to recurrent pain / discomfort that was the general kind of thing that goes along with concussions….? I know I’m remembering the scenario correctly but for the life of me, I can’t recall if that was the 2008 or 2009 season. I bring it up because I believe that was also a factor in swaying his thoughts toward walking away.

Darren – can you verify, was that game Warner missed ( against Tenn ) during the 2009 season? I’m almost positive it was.

44. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Warner

You are correct. Concussion, missed game vs. Titans. It is also my understanding that Warner had been leaning toward making 2009 his final year long before it was over — there was even some thought to walking away had the Cards won the Super Bowl the year before.

45. By JTDG on Apr 17, 2017 | Reply

johnnybluenose,

Favre; Yes, my mistake. I should remember that.

Cards62;

Hooker and Dobbs-

You are right, Hooker has an injury history. That is why I think he could slide to 13. Really, his only flaw.

Taking Conley in round 1 and then Josh Jones in round 2 would be just as good.
    Or Conley, Ju Ju Smith and then round 3 a Marcus Williams would be sweet also.

As for Dobbs, you are right again. When I watched him, I did not see an NFL QB. But those stats can’t be denied. To connect that accurate down field has to account for something.
    To me, I think he gets drafted in round 4 and I think if the cards want to draft someone, I would take a flyer on him in that round and see if he pans out.

I have said many times, I like the QBs in 2018 much better. So, if he pans out , great. If not, he could back up the QB in 2018.

46. By Sackman on Apr 17, 2017 | Reply

Forgive me if this question was asked already. But who all came or is about to come and visit with the Cardinals before the draft. Or who did the Cardinals visit with.

47. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2017 | Reply

Sackman —

RE: Visits

The Cardinals don’t release that information. There are various reports out there, but again, the QBs were expected.

48. By clssylssy on Apr 17, 2017 | Reply

Scott/Darren…
    Whatever happened, it would seem that the front office didn’t read the handwriting that was apparently on the wall and before their eyes, failing to take the necessary steps to avoid the disaster that followed. What is even more disturbing is that this pattern of painting the team into a corner by failing to have a backup plan has cost us the opportunity to get back to the SB at least once & possibly twice (Palmer trying to play injured in 2015). Now, again, we’re running on fumes rather than continuing to rise with core players in place with backups preparing to step into place when the unthinkable happens.

49. By Coach K on Apr 17, 2017 | Reply

I’m thinking Inside linebacker is looking more probable in
    round one, and a safety in round two. I am now thinking
    the cards must go defense heavy early in this draft.

Middle rounds grab a receiver, corner, and tight end.

Quarterback, I expect a late round surprise like Kelley from