Meghan Johnson is David’s wife – and critic

Posted by Darren Urban on April 18, 2017 – 9:28 am

There is little question David Johnson is his own harshest critic. As he was setting records a season again, the running back constantly talked about what he didn’t do right or what he needed to improve. To be fair, coach Bruce Arians did the same, but Johnson — with more than 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 20 touchdowns — stuck it to himself often.

One example: Johnson noted his biggest weakness. “Mainly get better at pass protection. I definitely missed a lot of blocks … definitely hurt Carson (Palmer), got him sacked or made him rush the throw.”

Apparently, his wife Meghan — who had a role in the Amazon series “All or Nothing” — has “helped” him in that process.

“B.A. is hard on me, my wife is hard on me, everyone is hard on me,” Johnson said with a smile.

How is your wife hard on you?

“She’s always the one telling me I had a fumble, or I missed some catches,” Johnson said. “She’s learning. That’s what happened. She’s learning football, so now she’s able to talk to me about the plays I missed. We talk about it all the time.”

To be fair, Johnson said Meghan does praise him. “She’s my biggest supporter,” he said. “But she knows me. I’m always trying to see what I mess up on and she’ll let me know.”

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “Meghan Johnson is David’s wife – and critic”

1. By steve on Apr 18, 2017 | Reply

Darren: A few weeks ago I asked you if you would be surprised if the Cards took Mahomes at 13 and you said you would be, now with the draft just days away and Mahomes stock rising fast, do you still feel that way?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Mahomes

IMO, yes. I could be wrong.

Also, I would take exception to the idea his stock is rising. Teams probably see Mahomes how they have always seen him. What maybe is rising is panic among teams that if they don’t take a certain player, they won’t have a chance at him later.

3. By NYCardinals on Apr 18, 2017 | Reply

I like Davis Webb in the 2nd or 3rd round.

That’s my QB pick, and I’m sticking to it. So there!

4. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 18, 2017 | Reply

I hope we do not take a quarterback with our first pick. I cannot remember the last time our first round pick made a contribution in his first year (that would have to be PP but who before that?) and I would like to see that change this year. I also hope CJ2K makes it back and stays healthy.

5. By Coach K on Apr 19, 2017 | Reply

Darren, while I agree that pick 13 seems high for Mahomes, having coached quarterbacks myself for many years, I tend to view them differently than just stats or physical stature. I’m a big believer in the “it” factor. If B.A. sees something in Mahomes that makes him feel this guy has that swag I’m looking for, I think you have to pull the trigger. If not, then take the best athlete available at 13. Ideally, if they could trade down 5 picks and pick up an extra 2nd round pick and still get their guy at QB all the better. Right now, if its not Mahomes, I see a move down and a pick of Jarrad Davis the ILB from Florida, or staying at 13 and taking Corey David, the WR. So if its not a QB, look for either Davis to be called.

6. By DAVEMAHAM on Apr 24, 2017 | Reply

I’m surprised I don’t here more people, or any for that matter, comparing DJ to Emmitt Smith. I think their running styles are damn near identical. DJ is a better receiver though.