No DWash thoughts, and the Reddick pick

Posted by Darren Urban on April 27, 2017 – 9:23 pm

Inside linebacker was the theme of the night Thursday. Mostly, it was about first-round pick Haason Reddick. But briefly, and not unexepectedly, since it was the first time Steve Keim and Bruce Arians were available since the news Daryl Washington was conditionally reinstated, they were asked about Washington.

“I’ll be honest with you, for the last 72 hours, I’ve done nothing but stare at college tape and that draft board,” Keim said. “At the appropriate time, we’ll address that. I’ll be honest with you, I haven’t put a lot of thought into it.”

Keim added that the Cards would speak to Washington “after the draft.”

— The Cardinals are pretty solid at ILB now, Washington or no, by adding Reddick with Karlos Dansby and Deone Bucannon. Reddick can work behind Dansby and I won’t be surprised to see all three on the field at times.

— No quarterback Thursday. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a quarterback Friday, in either the second or third round. DeShone Kizer is still out there, as is Nate Peterman, Davis Webb and Josh Dobbs. We’ll see how it plays out.

— The 49ers made some nice moves Thursday under first-year GM John Lynch, adding a pair of good defenders (DT Solomon Thomas and LB Reuben Foster) while adding some extra picks. Foster was predicted to be a top-10 pick. His shoulder injury may have scared off teams. Bruce Arians said the Cards liked Reddick over Foster because of Reddick’s versatility.

— Reddick’s story is amazing. He had his last two high school seasons end with injury. He walked on at Temple as a cornerback. He didn’t get a scholarship until after his junior year. When Keim talked pre-draft about liking players with the proverbial chip on his shoulder, Reddick fits the bill. “There were some good times and bad times, a lot of hard work that had to be put in,” Reddick said. “It was definitely a journey, but in the end, everything worked out for the best.”

Tags: ,

78 Responses to “No DWash thoughts, and the Reddick pick”

1. By Andre on Apr 27, 2017 | Reply

Can never have enough ILB with that much athleticism. Need to keep Dwash and then Reddick can help on the out side.

2. By Big Ken on Apr 27, 2017 | Reply

Reddick way better than Foster. This is all good news/moves. A fine young man and player. Lets pass on Kizer, too big of a head case.

3. By Big Ken on Apr 27, 2017 | Reply

I read a few weeks ago Kizer was comparing himself to Muhammad Ali. Now come on!

4. By Jonathan on Apr 27, 2017 | Reply

So the center of the defense is going to be a safety/linebacker and a DE/linebacker. Booyah!

5. By CARDS62 on Apr 27, 2017 | Reply

Darren can you find out if anyone spoke to us about trading down in round 1 for our pick?

Lynch might turn out to be a very good GM, but lets face it Da Bears made him look good. Right place at the right time. Cleveland has done a nice job of stock piling a lot of picks, and their draft on paper looks solid. Seattle and Rams no first rounders this year.

I liked how Reddick handled himself on draft night and what others had to say about him and I hope he will be great for us.

Good luck to our newest Cardinal.

6. By Coach K on Apr 27, 2017 | Reply

What a fantastic pick.

Now lets get the defensive backs in the net two rounds

Tight end in round four

7. By Dan on Apr 27, 2017 | Reply

Would have rather had Foster as far as a LB goes. We will see.

8. By Dan on Apr 27, 2017 | Reply

Okay, so Reddick has a “nice story” but I want stud players like Foster……I said my piece.

9. By dynosoar on Apr 27, 2017 | Reply

I hope Reddick works out. We could have had Barnett who broke Reggie White’s college sack record. White had 32 sacks in 4 years, Barnett had 33 in 3 years. And he was available.

I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed in any draft pick. Most of the time if I don’t know a player (and I don’t know Reddick) I wait and see. But this time I know the player that was there.

I just don’t understand why we’d take a player to get after the QB other than Barnett. Philadelphia scored and scored big. Interestingly, that’s the same team Reggie White got his start, so maybe it’s fate.

Oh Darren, when you do your write ups of Reddick in the next few days, please give me reason to hope he really is better for our team than Barnett.

I’m fine with the pick as Keim and Arians are excited, I just don’t know why we would pass on the man who broke Reggie White’s college record. I know, I follow Tennessee and not Temple so I’ve never seen Reddick play and as Keim is always saying, I should trust the system. This time I just don’t see it.

Sorry ya’ll, it’s after midnight and I’m rambling. Take care and enjoy the rest of the draft.

10. By Marlin on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Great Pick! A lot of positional flexibility in this defense.

11. By Eric G on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Here is my hope with the pick, that he allows Buchanon to move back to safety and that he truly is a great TE cover guy. I hope he is as good as everyone says he is and that I’m wrong.

Prediction for today.
    Rd2-CB. Kevin King (hopefully) or Chidobe Awuzie.

Rd2 (trade up from 3rd rd) Davis Webb, QB

I can see Cards drafting Webb first and getting Fabian Moreau in the third.

12. By clssylssy on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Sounds like a versatile and talented player and the Cards could have done worse; at least he’ll likely be able to start. Nonetheless, we went into this draft needing a big receiver and replacement for Larry as well as a Corner, which, I thought would be our priority since we missed on this last season and Keim sold out our secondary in FA and did nothing. Couldn’t help but wonder (as was also mentioned by an announcer) if this didn’t have more to do with the Arians connection to Temple and was an ego statement rather than filling a hole in the team. Very disappointed that the Cards didn’t go after Marshon Lattimore and was very impressed with the way the 9ers wheeled and dealed and came away big winners, as well as my home town Chiefs.
    Seems like every team was loading up their defenses and I don’t think this move by Keim will make up for what we lost in FA. Getting Washington back could have been a bonus allowing us to get some of the other players we need but it seems they had their board set and were unwilling to vary to get our Corner or WR. Coach Bowles got a good safety from LSU, and I’m happy for Calais, as his new team is really coming together and should really make some noise.
    We don’t have a second rounder, and it’s hard to watch every other team hitting homeruns while we sit out.

13. By faster on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

looks like the defense will again be top.

now i want some special teams players in the next rounds, ;.)

about dwash (sorry, i can`t resist), make a offer to the pats for a 7round pick this year and a conditional 2,3,4, for the years 18,19,20 if he`s on the roster. who knows, maybe they want him? and if nobody wants him, offer him a new contract with a “take marihuana repay your money” clause…

14. By jcont12 on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Absolutely awesome pick, was hoping the Cardinals would make it! Haason checks all the boxes for the type of player the cardinals want… Amazing athlete, great human being and hard worker, plus it gives Betcher another hybrid on an already creative defense.

For the second pick, I believe that if Sidney Jones is there it would be too hard to pass up. Only CB competing with lattimore for the #1 CB spot, and Bethel and Williams give us the flexibility to wait on him to heal. Once he is healed we would have a CB duo of PP and Jones which would be awesome!!

GO CARDS!!

15. By Jacob Hewitt on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Darren u were correct other day on who Cardinals would pick first round u said defense. Who do u think the cardinals will get in 2nd round?

16. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: Second round

Again, we’ll have to see what comes down in front of them. I’m expecting a DB. Maybe a QB if the right one is there.

17. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

A little more on Lynch.

The thought is, he knows his team isn’t winning the super bowl in 2017. So instead of wasting a pick on a QB, he is building a defense.

In 2018, he will then have his choice between Kirk Cousins, who can not be franchised anymore by the redskins, or one of the studs in 2018 draft.

Interesting is the cards Oline will have to deal with Buckner and Thomas and two of their LBs are Navarro Bowman and Rueban Foster.

This goes with Aaron Donald and company with Wade Phillips in LA, and Bennett and company in Seattle.

Good thing we did nothing to make our bad OLine better in FA, like adding a guy like Zietler at Guard and upgrading our center spot.

Hope we some help in the next two days.

18. By D on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I am so Pumped that Mr. Keim took my guy. This kid will make an impact this year. Love it. I’ll also give credit to Keim and CO with all of the pre-draft talk of taking a QB at 13, they fooled a few other teams out there, especially KC. The QB run early pushed very good players like Reddick and Hooker down for AZ to draft. Well done boys!

Now, Second round thoughts. There are some nice CB’s still on the board, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mr. Keim trys to move up for CB K. King from WA. If they can’t get him, I would be happy with A. Witherspoon CB CO, who is also 6’3.

Hey Denver…we’ll send you DWash, a 4th and 5th round pick for P. Lynch.

19. By USAF Pilot on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

OK. I get it that Reddick is a mean Dude, can put a hurt on runners and get sacks.

HOWEVER, CAN HE COVER???

Or is he Minter 2.0 and just a “Thumper” (as they called Minter)? Pass coverage was one of Minter’s weaknesses.

20. By D on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Another name to watch is CB. C. Tankersley. Played at Clemson, you know how much Keim and CO love Clemson players… 6’1 200lbs 4.4 in 40yrd nice production vs good teams.

21. By Jacob Hewitt on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I would say just my say so I think the Cardinals if they were leaning twords getting a QB I would look at Josh Dobbs

22. By MartinK on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

During last season, very few would have embraced drafting inside linebacker. It is a great move as Eric G pointed out. Bucannon could now move back and Tyrann wouldn’t have to risk injury as much moving up and chasing tight ends. He can now support the other corner. Reddick gives us a third legitimate pass rusher on third. Can’t wait to see it. Corner and Guard next……

23. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

BA, Keim said Reddick a twofer, can play hand in dirt, on his feet; said had eyes on 2 more, call it hybrid or versatile (Honey Badgers), they like guys who can fit different packages, so can leave on field. I get that, like the pick. Agree with Ken et al, Kizer a head case…compare to modest confidence of Kaaya….

24. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

USAF Pilot,

Riddick;

In the senior bowl, he showed he could cover backs and TEs. The player himself is a good player.

I was hoping for someone to help us in 2017 not 2018. You have 2 ILBs in a 3-4 and 2 OLBs. Currently that is Buc (who is not moving), Dansby, Golden, and Jones.

So who sits? I get Dansby will be gone in 2018 and he will fill in nicely then. But what in 2017.

I have heard rumblings of a 4-3 defense with 3 LBs and Golden and Jones are DEs. Then you have Badger and Bethea as safeties.

OK, if you want to change the defense, fine.

But I also heard they want to use Riddick as an edge rusher on passing downs. That would mean Jones moving inside. That would mean the guy you paid 53 million in guaranteed money to be an edge rusher is going to play out of position.

So, while the player is a nice pick, what they do with him in 2017 is a mystery.

25. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Cards62

Lynch got lucky with the Bears;

Actually Lynch played it really smart. Rumors are, they had a couple teams wanting to move up in the two spot. They also really liked Solomon Thomas.

According to Mike Mayock, most likely Lynch called the Bears and said we are trading with the Browns. They want Trubisky. Are you interested?

The Bears coveted Trubisky, and was willing to stop the Browns, while getting their guy.

Lynch, in turn, got his guy plus two 3’s and a 4. So, that was just luck?

Im not sure if you were one of the many that said Lynch would bomb, but looks like you can do this job without paying your dues.

26. By krehbieo14 on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

That was the craziest first round draft I have ever witnessed. A handful of teams, desperate for a quarterback, overreach and leave the board open for Keim. The Cardinals are giddy with this pick. Reddick may have been the most complete player in the draft. Good work Team Cardinals!

27. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

What was disappointing to me is when Carolina passed on Lattimore, why the cards didn’t make a move to go get him.

Marshawn Lattimore helps this team in 2017 more than any other player in the draft.

Time to look at CB and Oline today, unless you can land JuJu.

Ju Ju and a Cb today would be amazing.

Two sleepers who could step in day one are Shaquill Griffin and Cordrea Tankersley. Of course, Sidney Jones is here too.

Griffin has 4.38 speed to go along with that 6′ 195 lbs. But most impressive is his 33% comp ratio, which is lower than the big names. He also had 34 passed defensed.

A JuJu Smith and Shaq Griffin day would make the cards a much better team.

Then spend day 3 on oline man.

28. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

D,

How do you know they fooled KC and Texans?

Maybe Keim wanted one of those QBs at 13 and he was jumped because he was sitting on his hands?

If he really wanted one of the QBs (like many believe and you only take a 1st round QB if you truly believe he is the franchise) , he really blew it, didn’t he?

Man to think he loved Mahomes or Watson and believe so much, you are willing to spend a top 15 pick in him, and then to have him snatched at the last second???

Gives it a different perspective. Can you say egg on the face?

That happened in 2015, where sitting on his hands waiting for Abdullah to fall to him, the lions jumped him.

Thank goodness it happened then.
    Hopefully, thank goodness it happened again.

29. By mal on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I like it.

Opposing QB’s will have to deal with Golden, Jones, Los, DWash, and Reddick.

Now Buc can move back to where he belongs at safety where we need help.

30. By Chris on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

When are people going to start talking about moving Buc to SS during base sets which Cards play 1/3 the time and pulling Dansby out during Nickle. This would give the Cards size in the 3-4 and crazy speed in the the nickle. plus it would put Dansby and Bethea both over 30 on a snap count.

31. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Chris,

BA keeps saying he will not move Buc.

It makes sense to me to move him to SS and see if Riddick or DWash can win that other ILB spot with Dansby in the base.

32. By Manny Simo on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Last night 1st round NFL draft was one of the most interesting one I’ve seen in the last 40 years. Like most of us I was watching as the offensive talent run was pushing back the defensive player I thought we would get – Foster- right into our hands. But I guess S.K and B.A. know better. Why take a great player with bad attitude when you can have a great player with a good disposition, faster and bigger? I thought that the reinstatement oder D.Wash would free us to get Barnett but I guess the jury still out on that, though I hope the Cards give him another shot. Regardless of passed mistake D.Wash is one he’ll of a player whom I think has paid the consequences and will come back determine to make it up to us. Can’t wait to get home to see the rest. 2, should be a QB, and 3rd a cover. Go Big Red!!

33. By Joe C. on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

A long time ago the Rams were loaded with DB’s and had a rash of front seven injuries. They played 6-7 DB’s and were really good. With Buchannon type LB’s I could see the cards doing something similar with LB’s. Especially in this pass happy era if you can play small ball and still defend the run effectively it could be a nice innovation. You’d still need two good CB’s.

34. By Tradersbrain on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I like the pick. Addressed a position of need with someone who will contribute immediately. Let’s grab a CB in the second. NFLN had an interesting stat on the Cards last night … Keim took 6 DBs in last year’s draft.

35. By D on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

JTDG-
    Like you have said before, 2018 QB options are plentiful with free agency and the draft and I believe P. Lynch can be had with the right offer. Hundley in GB can also be had, the Bortles situation in JAC leads one to believe he could be available next year..No way I would have taken one of these QB’s this year in the top 15 with an exception of D. Watson, but he doesn’t exactly fit BA’s QB of choice.

No way Mgrmnt can trust DWash even if he comes in and says all the right things…we have heard that before…attempt to trade him to a AFC team..

36. By Chris G. on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I’d like to thank KC and Houston for taking away the option of drafting a QB in the first round. None of the QB’s this year are worthy of a first round pick. Media hype, and desperation, made teams overreach. Mahomes and Watson have the skills, but I don’t think they have what it takes to learn a pro system. Time will tell if I’m wrong, but it’s rarely a sure bet on QB’s in the first round being successful. For every Andrew Luck there are three to four RG3’s. Arm talent can only take you so far. Hitting the play book and being mentally prepared is huge. Ask Tom Brady.

37. By steve on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Darren: Heard Charlie Casserly say over on NFL.com that he thinks Keim and the Cards trade up in the 2nd to take the QB they have coveted all along, Deshone Kizer. Could you see that happening or are you sticking to the team taking a DB in the 2nd most likely? Thanks!

38. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Round 2

I’m not ruling anything out. At this point, I do not believe Kizer makes it to 45, so if they want him, I think they will have to trade up.

39. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

BA compares Riddick to Von Miller.

Huge praise.

So, still don’t get it. You have 53 million in Jones and Golden lead your team in sacks.

Miller is an OLB in a 3-4. I can’t see Denver ever put Miller inside. So if Riddick is like Von Miller…..

Help me out Darren. I see him backing up Dansby but if he is Von Miller, is he a replacement for Golden come contract time?
    Help me out here Darren.

40. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Help

I’ll pass on the offer. I think you have your thoughts and that’s cool, but anything I say you will be ready to rebut and I’m not in a place to get into a debate that won’t change your mind anyway.

41. By lacardinalsfan on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Go get Kizer in Rd 2

42. By Hammy on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Dont know which blogger from this site was lobbying for Haason Reddick a few weeks ago, but your were spot on man! I really like this pick after watching some YouTube videos of his play. I think he has that motor to be the next great defensive player for the Cards. I can see now that the Cardinals are charging up their defense for this upcoming season! Chandler Jones, Karlos Dansby, Golden and now Reddick! What a linebacking crew. Great pick Arizona!

43. By Jay on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I hope the Cards take Webb in the 2nd whether they trade back for him or take him in their natural pick. He definitely has probably the highest ceiling in the draft. But if they don’t I will be satisfied with them taking Dobbs in the 3rd or 4th. Dobbs is definitely a project but he is the smartest QB in the draft. He was winning games at TN and had an extremely difficult class schedule majoring in aerospace engineering. Imagining what he could do when giving his full attention to Arians’ playbook is definitely intriguing. Dobbs also has a connection to Payton Manning getting QB advice from the man himself.

44. By krehbieo14 on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

FYI: As many fans and pundits have suggested, Reuben Foster did not fall to #31 based primarily on a failed urine sample. There are still serious questions about his injured shoulder and whether a follow up surgery will be necessary. He did not seek medical attention from the best and it cost him.

45. By Christian on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

clyssy

We do have a second round pick. Trader last year’s for Jones.

JTDG

We’ll see with Buc. And we wouldn’t be the first team to move around a key piece. Most smart teams know how to move their key pieces to find mismatches, provided they have the right role players.

46. By Joe C. on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I’m picturing five LB’s most of whom are like Buchannon a couple CB’s and Honey Badger. CC would have been great on the line but you get it.

47. By Hammy on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I will make a note to pay attention to the Senior Bowl games from here on out. It seems like for the past few years we have selected a player that has played in the Senior Bowl at least 4 out of the past 5 years. This is the perfect time to grab a Corner in round 2 and our future franchise QB in round 3. I like the direction we are going in. For those who wanted the Cards to take a wideout. I can see your reasoning because Fitz may be playing his last year with us but we are getting back a healthy John Brown who was being compared to HOF Marvin Harrison. Nelson came on strong last year and I like Jaron Brown as well. If we add another wideout, I hope Godwin from Penn St. is still available in the mid rounds.

48. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I was being serious about Riddick;

I’ve heard mention all three LBs on the field at the same time. Just wondering what the plan was by adding him.

If he is a back up to Dansby and taking over in 2018, OK. Makes sense. But all the Von Miller talk has me thinking that they may be thinking outside.

49. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Reddick

He’ll be used in multiple situations. He will start in the ILB room, but I have little doubt they find a way to get him on the field in multiple spots. He will be used as an outside rusher sometimes. I think they love the idea of all kinds of variations.

50. By CARDS62 on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

2nd round and we move up. Hoping we select the WR Jones believe out of East Carolina.

GO Cards

51. By CARDS62 on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Well we got a bubba and we must have wanted him bad!!!

52. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Budda Baker is a really nice pick.

This is like Honey Badger 2.0

Could do all the same things the Badger can but could also play center field. This will make the team better.

53. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Just need that CB in round 3

54. By Christian on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Have to say, rd 2 has me scratching my head. If he is the center fielder, then Badger is still SS and Bethea is on the bench. If he is the SS, he is probably the new Badger (injuries and all). Looking more and more like Bethel and Williams will be trusted to do what they couldn’t last year.

55. By CARDS62 on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Sorry failed to mention best part of 2nd round pick was seeing Jim Hart. First time I have seen him in a very long time.

So who do we take in round 3?

CB, OL, WR, QB ?

56. By Christian on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

JTDG,

Looks like we missed Jones. Who would be your CB at this point? I like Awuzie, but he will go soon. Tabor is there, but probably wont be when we pick next. Witherspoon is good in coverage, but awful at tackling.

57. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Christian,

Please tell me that is not true. I think we can find an UDFA better than Bethel and Williams.

It seems they are going with different packages at different times.

What is most interesting is Budda and Badger are very similar.

58. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

There are thoughts that Budda can play CB.

hope they keep him at safety and draft a CB.

Heck Riddick started as a CB, maybe give him a shot.

Sad to see Sidney Jones go off the board. Love that guy.

59. By Coach K on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I don’t understand this hate on Reddick.

This guy is a carbon copy Von Miller, only slightly
    smaller and much faster.

Foster had some issues. Reddick was totally clean.

This was a better pick than Foster and that is why Foster fell to
    the basement of this draft.

Wake up haters. We got the faster Von Miller clone.

60. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Three CBs in round 3.

Cordrea Tankersley – Clemson

Fabian Moreau – UCLA

Or Shaq Griffin – Central Florida.

All 3 are 6 ft or better. all 3 are 4.4 in the 40 or better (Griffin 4.38, Moreau 4.35) . All three have man coverage skills.

61. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Coach K,

Dont hate the pick of Riddick. Just curious how they will use him.

If the broncos traded us the real Von Miller, I would be curious what is happening to Golden and Jones.

I think Riddick will be solid when Dansby leaves. I almost wish we didn’t sign Dansby and let the kid play.

Just puzzled how they use him in 2017 to get him on the field. But as a player, he is a good player.

62. By mal on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

at least show some respect and spell his name right

63. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Damn, JuJu is a Steeler. Big Ben got a really good one.

64. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Reddick not Riddick. Dang mis-spelled his name.

Thanks Mil

65. By CARDS62 on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Vikings make me angry as they moved up and took OSU C/G Pat E.
    Dude is just a football player like our round 1 and round 2 picks. Looks like we traded our 3rd round pick.

JTDG what about CB out of Iowa, Desmond King who also is a returner, and also CB Lewis out of Michigan, but I like Iowa kid better.

Go Cards!

66. By Eric G on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Absolutely hate the round 3 trade. Got squat in return for that drop. Just terrible. Fabian Moreau is on the board. Why not draft him? Id have been ecstatic with that. Ugh, bad move imo.

Gotta imagine that they want Webb or Peterman and draft wr in rd 4.

67. By creditcard on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

So far so good.

I like Reddick and Baker, both athletic, versatile, physical, and leader. I also like the trading down a mid 3rd round pick to pick up the 34th in 3rd (really a high 4th), and a moderately high 4th (# 8). Like to see if the Cards can strike gold again in getting a small school diamond.

68. By Eric G on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Thoughts on day 2. Love the Baker pick and I think I like the Williams pick. Based on the Williams pick, Moreau and Webb were never in consideration and Williams was the target all along. So, slightly less upset with the trade. However, i would have liked a sixth rd pick in addition to what they got.

For day 3,no QBs please, get one next year. No idea who they pick.

69. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Eric G,

totally agree. All 3 CBs I listed were there before trade.

70. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

I would love to ask everyone what they thought were the biggest issues last year with the team? Why were we 7-8-1 ?

Some might say Kicker and Punter ? They made changes with both those spots.

Special teams overall ? some guys are healthy now and teams should be better.

OLine ? No Free Agents and no draft picks in the first 2 days

CB2 ? No Free Agents or Draft picks

WR ? Injuried players are now healthy and cards add 3rd round receiver.

Anything else ?

Then Free Agency; What needs were created or met? Do we still need to sign someone ?

Lost 2 Safeties – signed one and drafted Baker

Lost a LB and signed a LB and drafted a LB

Lost best DE.

So,are we better or worse? Do we feel comfortable about where the team is at right now?

Is the Oline better without additions ?
    Is CB2 OK.
    Are we are good at WR ?

Are you happy with the offseason and draft? Do you feel we have a super bowl team?

71. By krehbieo14 on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Reddick said he role modeled his play after Von Miller. He and the Cardinals Brass never compared him to Miller. The kid provides positional flexibility. He’ll get plenty of reps on defense. With Reddick and Baker, they just created more depth and additional ways to scheme. Obviously, Keim and Arians are not overly concerned about cornerback. Bethel and Williams will compete and they may bring in a late FA if they feel it’s necessary. I don’t think you want to put a rookie on that island as they did last year.

72. By JTDG on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Cards62,

King will most likely be a safety in the NFL. I don’t think he fits our defense.

73. By Christian on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

RE: Issues

I think the biggest problems were injury and immaturity last season. We lost a RG, LG, LT, and RT at points last season, so the line was never right. Butler and the long snapper really drug the ST down with poor play. I was a fan of Cat, but he never seemed to hone his skills enough to become a consistent threat despite the power he had. WRs were either unhealthy or not on the right page, and I don’t think any of them besides Fitz were serious enough going into the season. Finally, Nkim not getting ready in time hurt when he could’ve helped the rotation.

74. By Christian on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

JTDG,

RE: Issues

I’d also like to add;

O-line: healthy and more experienced, so much improved
    Safety: I think the two we added are major upgrades
    WR2: hopefully cutting Floyd and being as bad as they were shook them. I don’t see adding a new guy as the solution, but getting the others on track.

The place I agree with you most as my concern is CB2. Again, I am rooting for Bethel, but neither he nor Williams deserve to be handed the job. Maybe one of those older FAs will be added post-draft, because I don’t know that there is much in the draft to be more confident in than those two going forward.

75. By Coach K on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

THANK GOD WE DID NOT GRAB A QUARTERBACK THIS YEAR AT THE TOP OF THIS DRAFT. WE MIGHT GRAB ONE IN ROUND 5 TO ADD A BODY AT CAMP, BUT THIS WAS NOT THE YEAR FOR THE EVENTUAL FUTURE QB OF THE CARDINALS. NEXT YEAR IS OUR YEAR TO GET THE STUD WITH AT LEAST FOUR FIRST ROUND STUDS. I SAY WE TRADE UP, GIVE UP A TON OF PICKS NEXT YEAR AND GET OUR FUTURE QB.

76. By Eazy E on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Hallelujah to Daryl coming back, I welcome the Brotha back! At 13, DeShone Kizer, Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, O.J. Howard, Jonathan Allen, Haason Reddick, Rueben Foster, Gareon Conley, Malik Hooker were all available and I bet the Cards were like a kid in a candy store! I really like the eventual pick of Reddick. During the process, I bought into him the more I saw him and heard him. 6’1 1/2, 237, 4.52 speed, and 36 1/2 vertical. He is a guy that can play in so many spots in Coach Bettcher’s Defense whether it’s hand in the dirt, inside liebacker, outside linebacker, anywhere! Great Pick Again!!!

77. By Eric G on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

I thought it was the long snapper and holder more than Cat man. Poor guy went through a lot of changes to his routine last year. No excuse for some kicks, but bet it got to his head.

No2 cb definitely was a major problem. I just wonder if Williams made that much of an improvement in the off season and Bethel is 100% (or maybe they want to force Bethel there because of how much they are paying him), either way, not addressed and still a liability imo. Hope they sign a free agent still out there.

For offense, Floyd is gone. He was a total liability last year. Im fine with the wr corp with healthy players coming back. Think Williams provides a new deep threat target.

I hope we address Oline day 3. Maybe there is a small school cb they like that isn’t getting attention. Hope there is another rd 5 Richard Sherman out there.

I think our defense is better. I think that the offense wasn’t as good last year for whatever reason. Don’t know why, probably unhealthy wrs. Seemed like no wrs were ever open last year.

Go Cardinals.

78. By Joe Cardea on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

JTDG, You covered it well. I think you can get good o-lineman post draft FA and a decent CB as well. Probably O-line is the easiest to grab. I think the biggest shortfall was mental last year. Thet are certinly capable of contending for the NFC west.