No QB yet — and perhaps none at all

Posted by Darren Urban on April 28, 2017 – 9:57 pm

The Cardinals made a big trade to move up in the second round Friday. It gave everyone pause. Quarterback? Deshone Kizer was on the board. But then came safety Budda Baker. No QB there. In the third round, the Cardinals traded down, and still, no QB. Now there is a question of whether there will be one in this draft.

“Those guys aren’t always out there,” coach Bruce Arians said. What about the quarterbacks left on the board? “There are still a couple of quality arms out there,” Arians acknowledged. “Whether they are first-string arms or second-string arms is yet to be seen.”

It’s less than a ringing endorsement for a team looking for a quarterback of the future. But again, this class always was seen with warts, and the last thing the Cardinals have any desire to do is make a pick just because they feel they have to.

“Again, would you love to find one? Absolutely,” GM Steve Keim said. “But as I said, you can’t force a pick and you can’t leave better players on the board, and that would have done if we didn’t take the approach we did. It would be a disservice to the organization and everyone who works here if we were to press something that was out of the norm or to panic.”

The Cards pick eighth in the fourth round Saturday. They have five picks — one in the fourth, two each in the fifth and seventh. We will see if one is a QB.

— The Cardinals really, really wanted Budda Baker. And in the third round, they liked Chad Williams a lot. So it worked out for Keim to make the initial trade, however expensive as it might have seemed, to snare Baker. Because Williams was one of those players that the Cardinals liked probably more than most, they were able to drop down 21 spots in the third, still get him and get back a fourth-round pick.

— Arians believes with the addition of Baker, the Cardinals have one of the most dynamic secondaries in the league. He didn’t rule out drafting a cornerback Saturday — I would be a little surprised if they didn’t — but the addition of Baker gives the Cards flexibility even if there isn’t a ready-to-be-on-an-island corner across from Patrick Peterson.

Tags: , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “No QB yet — and perhaps none at all”

1. By Jo ball on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Loved the Baker pick
    Hated the Chad Williams pick … not to mention that he could of been had in the later rounds

2. By Christian on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Would love to be a fly on the wall hearing the plan at CB2. Great draft so far, but I’m fearing that all the athletic interior players and the lack of an answer across PP will push the team back into a zone-mentality

3. By Coach K on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

NEXT YEAR IS WHEN PALMER GETS HIS UNDERSTUDY AT QB. WE WILL HAVE FOUR OR FIVE FIRST ROUND TALENTS TO CHOOSE FROM AT QB.

4. By Rich on Apr 28, 2017 | Reply

Please do not make me watch another Max Hall/John Skelton experiment again.

5. By Big Ken on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I’m liking all the moves. Lots of good players left. Time to pick a guard for the O-Line.

6. By faster on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

no QB? no problem, as long as palmer stays healthy (fingers crossed, and we don`t play a kelly team) and as long as kaepernick or osweiler are available for cheap if something happens.

baker? wait and see, it looks like a honeybadger replacement.

williams? i`m excited, at least a WR not named brown. he was high on my draft board, but as i had no information on his marihuana problems, i cut him. looks like the scouts did deeper work on him.

7. By Eazy E on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

So darn happy that we didn’t get Davis Webb! I would’ve liked Kizer though. Budda Baker is another guy I liked. He can play all over the defensive backfield whether it’s SS, Nickel CB, In The Box, heck maybe even Outside CB, who the heck knows?! Also, I’m sure he’ll be great at Special Teams also! He’s fast too at 4.45 seconds! Finally to snag Chad Williams at almost 6’1, 204 pounds, 4.42 speed, and snags balls is a good find and I didn’t know anything about him before today really! Plus, He’s from a HBCU so that’s bonus points even if it is Grambling(I go to Prairie View and they are our #1 rival)!!!

8. By Eazy E on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I don’t really want us to draft a QB now. Kizer was the last man standing for me if we’d draft one, but now that we’re not and he’s a Brown, I’ll pass. I like Kaaya and Evans still, but I’d much rather us just go in free agency and sign Kaepernick at worst as a backup and cut Stanton!

9. By Marlin on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I was born in Camden… just as Hassan.

10. By Rick on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

We took the 2nd rated backer that can get to the QB. Then took top rate nickle that can hit. Took a wide out that is big and can go get the ball maybe can make up for Floyd flunking out. Looks good to me. You would think that Carson had retired by the way people look at this whole draft. Go Carson !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still think you can do it.

11. By Tucson Card on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I like the day 2 moves. Baker plays fast. Good football instincts. I was at the UofA Grambling game this year. I remember Williams lighting up our defense (which is bad) until Gramblings QB went down. Cats almost lost that game…but still beat ASU.
    Go Cards.

12. By texascard on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I have to tip my hat to Keim. 100 times better than last year. I can’t get my mind around who plays where and when on def but the d is loaded with fast, hard hitting play makers (except nkim k). Run ball and control field position and create turnovers is fun football

13. By jasonc on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

This has been an extremely exciting draft. I really like the players the Cardinals have drafted. Reddick and Baker are super athletic, versatile, and play with aggression. I did not know much about Chad Williams, but he has good size and impressive speed and the Cards have had good luck in the third rounds.

I was confused about the trade up for Baker due to the sheer number of quality safety products on the board, but watching how excited Keim was inspiring. I didn’t like giving up picks, but then the trade down happened and we actually received a better fourth round pick than we gave up.

I’m ok with us not taking a QB…it would’ve been a luxury pick to groom for the future and not someone who would see the field this year. If we take a guy day 3 he won’t be given the “QB of the future” label, but who knows how he’ll perform if given a chance. Dak was a fourth round comp pick and he was able to succeed in the NFL.

14. By Big Ken on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Well Mahomes and Watson would have been reach picks at thirteen. So much was given to move up in front of the Cardinals (two first rounders) to draft these players who might not even be successful in the NFL. Comical

15. By LadyBird04 on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

First three picks – HR a solid pick, strong body and mind, grounded and hungry. Baker a little small but talent waiting to flourish in our D (needs to improve tackling in space and catching). Williams – big, “fastish”, but with some questions.

Larry was the model for Floyd and he wasn’t able to keep Floyd on the straight and narrow…Floyd’s flawed psyche at fault. Williams has some questions (dismissed drug and gun charges) need to be closely watched to be sure they were a one time miscue. I saw a video of him returning the ball – could he be the returner for the Cards on either KO or Punt teams?

Overall, not perfect start but a very solid one. No player is a sure thing – every pick is a roll of the dice.

16. By CardsNation on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I think this year’s draft is perfect. Put Reddick at MLB, he has the ability to pass rush because he played OLB in college. 240LB ran 4.52 is really impressive. I like the pick over trouble LB Foster. If you think of this way, if Foster has no medical concern and the incident at the combine, he won’t be there anyway. Why would we take a gamble? I don’t think any team would take him in the first round if the 49ers didn’t trade up. Reddick is also able to learn under Dansby. Baker fits our defense perfectly, he needs better tackle mechanics in my mind. Williams is a sleeper, great production coming out a small college.

17. By faster on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

guess whos next? billy brown, or noah brown ;.)

18. By Scott H on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I like the defensive picks, I really do. And I wonder if the KC Chiefs may have saved us yet again – from making a mistake. I think back to when we had a HC vacancy after Whiz was fired and it sure looked like Andy Reid was on his way to being our next coach. And I was damn near ready to hang myself. Then, the Chiefs swooped in and made Reid THEIR head coach and I thought it was a gift from the Gods. We got Bruce Arians instead. Thank you, Chiefs.

Going into Thurs, I was hearing Mahomes name being linked to the Cardinals every where I looked. Now, whether or not that was ever gonna happen….who knows? But when the Chiefs traded up to get in front of the Cardinals, I was on my feet, thanking them once again. Because why else are they trying to get in front of the Cardinals unless they are jumping them to get a QB? And sure enough, they took Mahomes – who I absolutely did NOT want. And once again, the Chiefs may have come to our rescue once again.

And for that, I thank them.

Here’s what else was SOOOO cool about the Reddick pick – picking one spot ahead of the hometown Eagles, the Arizona Cardinals got more applause then they did by taking a kid from Temple! That was friggin’ SWEET!!!!

19. By CardsNation on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Dorian Johnson is a steal. JTDG said he could be a good pick in third round. But we got him in the 4th round. He was projected to be a 2-3 round pick. I don’t think the liver issue is a concern since he started all games. This year’s draft is solid, Keim did a great job.

20. By Coach K on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Amazing pick- Dorian Johnson. A second round grade and we steal him in round 4. OMG, I am shocked we got this caliber of player in round four. This guy is a road grader and the best pass blocker in this draft. Guaranteed starter from day one. Palmer must be smiling.

As for the Quarterback, I feel Keim will take Dobbs in round 5, or Kelley in round 6.

21. By Big Ken on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

@ JTDG Looks like they drafted one of your fav’s, Dorian Johnson. Best guard available, great value.

22. By Christian on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I can appreciate the O-line pick. Maybe that means we can ditch Shipley

23. By Eric G on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Love the Johnson pick, just absolutely love it. Fantastic. Can’t wait to see the next pick.

24. By JTDG on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Actually, if you go back to my 3 round list, they drafted 2 of my guys.

Budda Baker was one of the targets in the 2nd and Dorian Johnson was a target in round 3.

Reddick is a solid player and I like him, just wish we found CB2 instead.

This is a great draft with the players we got. I will give credit to Keim and company regardless of how they turn out.

But dang, CB2 ?? Wish we would have just signed two FAs.

Two FAs I begged for – Gilmore and Zeitler. Think how solid this roster would have been with those two picks.

Please sign a FA after the draft at CB2.

25. By JTDG on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Some possible 5th round picks;

Jeremy Clark – Big Physical CB recovering from a ACL. Could be a steal.

Damontae Kazee CB – Might be too small to play as and Outside CB, but good production. Not fast, but had 43 Passed defensed and 16 picks. More of a nickle guy.

Jake Butt – I think this would be a real nice pick on a TE who can do everything. – nevermind Broncos just picked him

Rodderick Johnson – Big athletic Tackle could give depth

Jon Toth – Could be an upgrade at Center

Tyler Orlosky – another center who could be an upgrade

Three guys I am not sure we want because of character, but are out there;

Jarron Jones is a character issue but gifted.
    Calib Brantley – Bad Character, punched a woman- 1st round talent
    Josh Harvey Clemons – huge safety that if no character issues, he would have been in round 2.

26. By Coach K on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I’m still waiting for a CB and TE in this draft.

27. By JTDG on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

By the way Darren,

Why did you have to show Budda blowing up ASU ? LOL I know he had a good game against ASU.

Couldn’t you find a picture against UCLA or USC ?

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Sun Devils

Hey, I’m Class of ’92.

But the truth is the truth.

29. By atillathehans on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

So excited for Jay Cutler next year with an actual supporting cast and Top 3 Defense.

30. By Big Ken on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

No CB yet -and perhaps none at all. Does Baker get moved out to CB?

31. By jerrytown on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

For those of you hating on the Chad Williams pick…part of the reason you don’t know him is because he wasn’t invited to the combine because of his off the field issue, which was cleared by Keim and Co. Had he been there, he’d be on your radar.

He ran a 4.37 at his pro day, good for 3rd best by a WR at the combine. He also had 21 bench reps, good for 2nd. He’s fast and strong, can body up and win jump balls. The kid has a lot of potential. Just remember that when we picked John Brown, nobody knew who he was and most questioned the pick. They know what they’re doing. We don’t, we aren’t scouts.

32. By CARDS62 on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

LOVE the Johnson pick in round 4. All American G in round 4. They say an excellent run blocker so now we have Johnson & Johnson.

We go small school in the 3rd round as that is just what we do, and I can not argue with our success so I love that we traded down to be able to get Johnson in round 4. WR Williams out of Grambling I do not know, but the man put up some impressive numbers. Does anyone know his game?

JTDG on previous post you ask what we thought hurt us the most last season and it was definitely our #2 and # 3 cover guys and our special teams in all phases. We need to fix both or no Super Bowl for 2017 season. I do not see Seattle trading us Richard Sherman and we could get a great CB still in the draft, but we all know that will take some great luck and the odds are not in our favor. We can improve our special teams still in the draft, and even have 1 or 2 of these special team aces also play CB.

Steve K. has to work his magic and get us a # 2 CB after the draft, and I hope he gets us 2 as we all know injuries happen. I also think we need to improve our backup QB after the draft so hopefully some veterans will free up from teams drafting QBs this year,

JTDG – concerning John Lynch as GM. I have never commented on this before, but as a player he was always smart, and played hard every down, so I think this will be the type of GM he will be, but Da Bears and the 49ers poor season last year did help him out, like Clevelands poor seasons have helped them out, but you still have to pick the correct players and build your organization correctly and that takes talent. Lynch and the baseball boys in Cleveland will probably do well, but I have to root against Lynch.

GO Cardinals and GO Steve Keim and staff!

33. By BRalum00 on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I do like a couple of the picks. Just not the order in which they were picked, and with a couple of names still on the board, I would’ve gone in a different direction. With the loss of Calais Campbell at DE, and not having any corner with a damn on the other side of Patrick Peterson I would’ve gone Jonathan Allen, Malik Hooker, or Dareon Conley at #13. Then I think Reddick might have been around to trade up for in the 2nd round.

Then take a QB. Palmer is very nearly worthless now at 38. He had nothing but happy feet last year because he was afraid of being hit. I predict this will be his last. Draft a QB with promise in the 3rd round, Joshua Dobbs or Nathan Peterman let him be tutored for a year.

Chad Williams will be solid, just will need a year to adjust to NFL speed.

34. By CARDS62 on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Well we drafted A. Ellington replacement in RB from NC. Fastest back in the draft with good hands that also returns kickoffs so hopefully means special teams improvement. I don’t think he returned punts in college, but if good hands should be able to also handle punt returns.

Big tackle earlier in round 5 from Vandy so SEC guy who has played great competition.

BRalum00 – I agree Palmer did not have his best year by far last year, but I bet you he will definitely outplay every rookie QB in 2017, and 2018 if he decides to play. We do need a veteran backup for Palmer for 2017.

GO Cards

35. By Coach K on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Cards62

Don’t be surprise if Ellington is traded along with another player for a cornerback.

36. By Big Ken on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply