A draft of passion, speed — but no QB

Posted by Darren Urban on April 29, 2017 – 3:52 pm

The draft is over. So Bruce Arians summed it up plainly. “Passion and speed.”

The Cardinals also went for versatility, guys that could play in a couple of spots. And it was also about what they didn’t get. With the much-anticipated temptation of taking a quarterback, “we talked about a couple of guys, but they were all gone,” Arians said. “As far as a temptation, no.” (A QB is already in hand, though. See below.)

— It didn’t look like the Cardinals had drafted a cornerback either, until they did. Sixth-round pick Johnathan “Rudy” Ford was a safety as he wrapped up at Auburn, but he began his career as a cornerback and the Cardinals will use him at cornerback. He’s been training there already, with former Cardinals cornerback (and two-time offseason coaching intern) Rod Hood.

— Ford got his nickname because when he was little, he wouldn’t give up. And his uncle nicknamed him that, yes, after the movie.

— Special teams was not forgotten. Clearly, the Cardinals see big special teams play to come from multiple picks: Budda Baker, Haason Reddick, Rudy Ford, T.J. Logan.

— Arians described Logan as more Andre Ellington than David Johnson. If Logan clicks in the backfield, it will certainly free up Ellington to be more of a receiver, which Arians already said would be Ellington’s role.

— The liver condition of fourth-round guard Dorian Johnson is not a problem. Not to the Cardinals. “Some people think me and Coach have liver issues but we’re just fine,” GM Steve Keim deadpanned.

“Terrible joke, but he’s fine,” Keim said. “It’s not been an issue in the past.”

“(Dorian) knows how to manage it,” Arians said with a grin. “I’m still learning mine.”

— The two offensive linemen (Johnson and Will Holden) can play multiple positions. Keim loves that. They are also considered very smart. “Not to get too detailed, but the less time we have with these players, the less time we can develop them, and the less we can get them to understand what we are trying to get across from a schematical standpoint,” Keim said. “It’s important to draft smart players, it’s important to draft passionate players, and it’s important to draft players with positional flexibility.”

— The Cardinals will start to work on their undrafted rookie list now. The official list likely won’t be out until Monday, although I am sure some names will trickle out before then. There will be a quarterback on that list. The Cardinals have 14 spots open on the offseason 90-man roster (although that includes one for Daryl Washington, whose actual spot on the roster figures to be determined sooner rather than later.)

(UPDATE: And there’s your UDFA QB. Texas A&M’s Trevor Knight tweeted out he’s coming to the Cardinals.)

Keim said the plan is to sign 15 to 20 undrafted rookies. A team isn’t going to land all their targets usually, but if there are more than 14, there may be some roster moves early next week to make room for newbies.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

64 Responses to “A draft of passion, speed — but no QB”

1. By CARDS62 on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Darren

Any word if rumor is true that Dallas is trying to trade starting CB Orlando Scandrick? for a late round pick?

We do not have time for projects at CB in 2017?

Steve Keim work your magic. 2 veteran CBs and a backup veteran QB

Go Cards!

2. By steve on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Sounds like all of the talk coming out about finding Carson’s replacement in this draft was just a smokescreen and I understand that’s part of the game. We won’t know how good this draft class is until 2-3 years from now but on the surface this looks like a good group of players and I liked all the selections.

3. By CARDS62 on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Denver takes Chad Kelly QB from Ole Miss with last pick of the draft. I was hoping we could bring him in as a free agent. He is risky, but lets face it all the QBs in this draft are risky and he would have been free.

We better bring in one to two free agent punters, Ohio State and Idaho, a free agent kicker, some special teams tackling demons and I hope 4-6 CBs.

Go Cards!

4. By JTDG on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

The cardinals had a pretty good draft.

Yes, I would have liked to see TraDavious White at 13 or Johnathan Allen, mainly because of need, but Hassan Reddick will be a good LB.
    Not sure how much he helps us this year, but he could be huge in years to come.
    If he is the next Von Miller, Jones is locked down (53 million guaranteed) and Golden was weak against the run. Not sure if he will bounce out to Golden’s spot come contract time.

I wanted Budda Bakers teammate (Sidney Jones). But again, Budda is a solid player. I worry if he can stand up to the NFL as he is a clone of Badger and Bob Sanders (two guys who struggled to stay healthy because of their style of play and size). But Budda is dynamic. It will be interesting to see how they use him.

In round 3, I thought you had to go CB since you didn’t in the 1st two rounds. I liked Shaquill Griffin or Fabian Moreau. Big fast CBs. But the trade down, cost those picks. This , to me , was the one big mistake of the draft.

Maybe I feel this way because I know nothing about Chad Williams except he is fast, good size and he tore up Univ of Arizona. The cards needed a receiver. I hope the Jarron Brown steps up because he is the only one on the roster who can play the Fitz role underneath.

Love the round 4 and 5 pick. Dorian Johnson is a smart, tough NFL guard. Depending on the “rookies don’t play” history in AZ with BA, but he has the talent to start at RG. If he can push Boehm over to center and Boehm steps up, we could improve the Oline. I could see the cards holding off a year and plugging him in at LG next year. As for Will Holden, you are looking at 2018’s starting RT.

David Johnson will run the ball. David Johnson will catch the ball. So 6th round for a RB is perfect. TJ Logan is a punt returner and KO returner. He has great hands and will earn time on Teams and a carry/catch here or there.

Rudy Ford needs a “Rudy” story to make the team. CB?? Not sold. Special Teams? That is how he makes the team.

The draft may not have netted all the players I wanted or thought they needed. But it did net some solid players. If Jon Allen becomes a pro bowler and so does Reddick, is it a bad pick? I would have loved to see the cards land a CB.

So what now?

I think the special teams is loaded as Darren spoke of. We have new kicker/punter/long snapper. That has to be good for 2-3 wins.

The LB spot is much better. The safety spot has playmakers with Badger back and Budda.

Healthy receivers and another speedster should help Palmer.

I would have liked Pat Elflein or Forrest Lamp, but Johnson should help this oline.

Our only hole and it is huge, is CB2. The cards have 16 million in cap space. Go sign a vet. I know everyone thinks Revis is done, but he lost 15-20 pounds and is quicker. But two other reasons I think we should sign Revis. One, Peterson will line up on the other teams best receiver. I think Revis can hang with teams #2. Second reason, with Budda Baker floating back there, you have a safety who can make plays on deep balls.

Finish this off season and sign Revis.

5. By JTDG on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Would love to see these guys brought in a UDFA;

Jalen Robinette – big strong WR who could play in the slot. Great blocker.

Damien Mama – Guard – big powerful RG

Jon Toth / Tyler Orlosky – Tough strong and smart centers

Jadar Johnson – I thought he would be drafted. classic centerfielder.

David Jones – at 6’3 and 210lbs, fast and intelligent, could be worth looking at as a safety.

I think all these guys would have a shot at making this roster.

6. By Coach K on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

I think Keim gets the other CB2 near the final cut from another team, or before the season starts we make a trade to get a starting CB if nobody wins that position.

So no worries on finding that opposite CB, Keim did it before and he’ll find one again.

Thank goodness we did not reach for a QB (as much as B.A. loved Mahomes) it was good to pass because next year is the gold mine for QB’s. Besides, this team wants to make a run for the Superbowl this year. So a QB was not vital. But next year it will be assuming Carson agrees to stay an additional year and mentor a young QB.

7. By Don on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Really happy with this draft. I think Williams was a reach but otherwise solid picks with players who will contribute now and others who will learn and contribute later.

8. By creditcard on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

I like this draft tons better than last year’s draft class.

I think most of these selections will make the roster. I think Reddick, Baker, Williams, and Johnson on the surface should make an impact for the 2017 season. Plus, the Cards get an extra “rookie” in Nkemdiche — since he didn’t do anything last year.

I am not concerned like most of bloggers about the CB2 position and a QB. CB2 has options in Bethel, Williams, Ford, Bouka, Miller, with Baker and Mathieu being able to play the slot. All these ‘options’ are athletic.

As for a QB … only 21% of QB’s selected end up having a meaningful NFL career. Therefore only 1 in 5 will statistically even make it either as a starter or career back-up. Thus, I like the concept picking up a veteran FA. I really think Cutler would be a nice fit. If Palmer is injured — Cutler is better than Stanton, and when Palmer retires, Cutler would give the Cards 3-5 years of “time” to hunt for a young QB kid.

9. By CardsNation on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

This is the best draft, the first four picks have the potential to start right away. Dorian Johnson is a steal, he can be our RG eventually along with Bohem at C after the veterans. Steve Keim did a great job to fix the current issues.
    Speical team check
    LBs check
    Secondary check
    Oline check
    WRs check
    RB check
    D line, I truly hope Robert can make an impact.
    QB Palmer must be protected
    CB Sign Revis for 5 million. I understand they have a lot of faith in Bethel and Williams. But Revis can also play safety and can contribute mentoring the young guys. If Williams and Bethel become solid players, great. If they didn’t, you need a veteran to step in.

10. By Joe Cardea on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Sign Jay Cutler to a two year deal, around $5M this year and $10-$15M next year. Evaluate him as a back up this year and if you like him give him an extension. If he is what he is cut him/trade him. Put a buy out clause for 18 and maybe some incentives for 17. Trade Stanton for Butler or Sherman, just kidding. It allows you to draft a QB next year and maybe not have to play him as a rookie.

11. By Marlin on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Hey JTDG,

Please shorten your comments.

12. By Christian on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

JTDG,

Re: Revis

We’ll see what other FAs the team looks at. $8 mill looked like a lot before the draft (and still is), but that gamble is definitely possible and could be worth it to blanket 2s

13. By krehbieo14 on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

The Cardinals had a great draft. Reddick and Baker should be immediate impact players in bolstering and already solid defense. Williams is a strong, athletic WR who will benefit from learning behind Fitz and Jaron Brown. We addressed special teams needs and offensive line depth. Both Olineman could potentially have an impact this year. We may have found a punt returner and another CB prospect. If Keim has any questions about the development of our Cornerback room, I am sure he won’t hesitate to look to FA for an experienced player. Keim showed great restraint in not reaching for a QB. There will be deals to be made at the right time. This could be Keim’s best draft class.

14. By Dr. G. on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Like some picks//trades in past years, I don’t feel this draft has an identifiable immediate impact player. Seems we were in a hurry to help the Bears…why is Keim so fearful to make upward moves vs trading all his ammo away to just fill the roster with diminutive, injury prone camp bodies?

Safety vs a QB? This Baker kid will never compensate the team for not taking a flyer on a potential playmaker QB…SMH!!! At this point, no one knows ((ala Dak Prescott)) ((Derek Carr))…but worth the dice roll. The wait for the draft was disappointing… any rookie GM could have planned this Cardinal draft in about one hour…after the scouts’ reports…the crescendo was a popcorn fart… Bah Humbug….sorry!

15. By steve on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Our QB of the future is probably some other teams QB of the present right now.

16. By ted on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

thought the cardinals made great selections throughout the draft. we won’t know for a couple years but this may be steve keim & bruce arians best draft yet.

its no mystery to anyone at this point but the only real hole still left on this team is the cornerback opposite patrick peterson. still a long offseason ahead of us and as years past have showed us, steve keim and co have worked wonders with those 1-year veteran deals. heres to hoping he can pull off another great move

17. By dkerry5242 on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

Not to worry about a QB this year. There are plenty good ones next year.

18. By Mark on Apr 29, 2017 | Reply

JTDG
    I totally agree with ur above post. I think the cards hit a home run in the draft but a little tweaking would have been a grand slam. Personally I loved the Haasen Reddick pick. I think the Budda Baker pick is a good one but would have rather had Forrest Lamp. In the third round,I would have taken Fabian Moreau from UCLA. Forth round pick Dorian Johnson is an awesome pick and fifth rounder Will Holden has potential.
    1. Reddick
    2. Baker
    3. Moreau
    4. Dorian Johnson
    Just would have been awesome.
    Epic draft:
    1. Reddick
    2. Lamp
    3. Moreau
    4. Dorian Johnson
    5. Desmond King

If we get Revis or Sam Shields if healthy we win division. Add Defenisve tackle Sen Derrick Marks and Dwash comes back like new, we compete for a championship.

19. By Canadian Redbird on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

I like the picks however struggle with the comment ” special teams unit was not forgotten “. Last year’s punter and field goal kicker cost this team several games last year. I would have liked the Cards to have selected Zane Gonzales from ASU with the 5,6 or 7 round pick. I appreciate that we got the SF placekicker in free agency however its always nice to have some local talent on the team at a much better cap hit. All the kid did was set records with his leg. Keim should also bring in the best non drafted punter to compete as well.

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Punter

You know there are already two punters on the roster?

21. By KMART on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Do the Cards have any interest in Jay Cutler? Last I heard his agent said he wasn’t retiring and I think he would be an upgrade as a backup over Drew Stanton. I love Drew but Cutler would give us a better chance to win if Carson was to miss any time due to injury.

22. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

KMart —

RE: Cutler

No, right now I don’t think they have any interest in Cutler. I don’t see them replacing Stanton with him, nor do I think that would be Cutler’s first choice.

23. By jasonc on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

I don’t know if this will go down as the best draft of the Steve Keim era and I don’t think anyone will know until these young guys get on the field; however, this is the first draft that I have been 100% impressed with every pick.

Reddick is super athletic and because he had to work for his success he doesn’t have the entitlement you may encounter with other top talents. Karlos is 35 and we have no clue if or what impact DWash will have for this team so the need was there. Throw in the ability this kid has to rush the passer and it was a home run pick.

Baker has some Mathieu in him in a slightly bigger and faster body. I don’t think it is easy to replicate Mathieu’s supreme instincts but Baker is a playmaker in his own right.

Williams, Logan, Ford are all sub 4.4 guys so they add much needed speed to our special teams right away. Williams is interesting because of how he dominated the senior bowl I think he may surprise us ala John Brown with early success in the passing game.

Johnson and Holden add youth and competition to the o line room and have the athletic talent to battle for starting roles in the future.

24. By Big Ken on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

I’ve heard good things about Trevor Knight, so let”s bring him into camp. I’ve seen partial lists of the Cardinal’s UDFA’s more interesting names should make for a fun camp.

25. By Cardsfanatic117 on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Several people have talked about possibly looking at Revis as a number 2 cornerback. Do you think this is a reasonable possibility?

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Cardsfanatic —

RE: Revis

I do not.

27. By JTDG on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Revis;

If not (I do not know why you wouldn’t at least bring him in), will they bring in a vet ?

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Vet

I think there’s a chance of that, yes.

As far as Revis, did you watch him play last year? I don’t know if you need to see more than that. Especially since Revis is the kind of guy that doesn’t seem to me who would accept a Keim Prove-it contract.

29. By JTDG on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Mark,

I agree

30. By Christian on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Re: Revis

Any talk of Revis at this point (especially in my post) shouldn’t be seen as more than wishful thinking. He wasn’t as bad last season as many believe (he was still a good corner, but not the great corner that teams could build a defensive scheme around), but the money is going to be the hard part. Is anyone willing to pay him more than $8 million this season? Because that is currently what the Jets owe him, and offsetting language in his contract means he would forfeit that signing somewhere else. So, unless someone is willing to put a nice chunk of change at CB2 or somehow in win-now mode with an abysmal secondary and money to spare, I think Revis will sit the year out.

31. By steve on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Darren: My first and last DWash question (I promise). If Daryl shows genuine remorse about his suspension and an eagerness to rejoin the team to Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim during their inevitable sit down meeting, do you think there is a chance that they will be open minded to keeping him on the team? I think the addition of Reddick to our LB group makes this less likely to happen but DWash says he’s in great shape and vows to keep his nose clean. Curious to get your best guess to how this all plays out, thanks.

32. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: DWash

Do I think there is still a chance? I’d have to say yes, otherwise they would have already released him once the news came down.

Remorse/eagerness has a lot to do with it, but I think a lot more will go into it.

33. By faster on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

special teams got deepth, hurray……

and now some nice UDFA …..

and lets wait how the QB musical chairs plays out, maybe we can get a good one for a prove it deal (kaepernick preferred, lol)

at the moment i`d like the season to start.

34. By faster on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Brandon Clemons, OL, Michigan State
    Ryan Watson, LB, Air Force
    Jonathan McLaughlin, OL, Virginia Tech
    Darrien Howard, DL, West Virginia
    Andy Kwon, OL, Georgia Southern
    Lazedrick Thomas, RB, Tulane

keim likes his holidays …..

35. By JTDG on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Revis play last year;

Oh I saw it. He was beaten deep often and was one of the worse CBs in the league. I understand why there is much doubt

So, why would I make a case for him? I follow football. I don’t get swayed by articles or opinions, I trust my eyes and my eyes saw a guy who was ready to retire.

So, here are my reasons behind my view.

– he lost weight (10 pounds) and is quicker now.
    – He doesn’t have legal issues hanging over him which is reported was weighing on him.
    – You don’t lose technique, he has great technique
    – The cards played more high safety last year and they drafted a guy who can cover ground in Budda. Rolling a high safety his way would take away the big play.
    – He lined up on teams #1, Peterson does that.
    Meaning he doesn’t have Doug Baldwin, He doesn’t have Garcon, He doesn’t have Tavon Austin – Peterson does.

As the sporting news puts it ” If he’s close to his old form, grouping him with Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu would make that the Bermuda Triangle for quarterbacks. Worth thinking about.”

36. By aschatte on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

I never expected Cards to draft a QB…I mean we just dont have a good history in drafting QB’s – we have done an awfully bad job in coaching/selection of QB’s over the years. Jake the snake was probably the last QB that we drafted turned out to be a savior at this position – even then he had his best years as a Bronco. And not drafting a proper CB is just mind boggling but thats what the Card do. Expecting Keim will sign an experienced savior at the CB position later in the season is putting all your apples in the same basket – at this point lets just coach the guys who we have drafted and hope for the best which probably wont be good enough. I hope we can build that OL further maybe a few experienced guys who could be in the market FA. If the OL sucks next season – Palmer probably wont survive to see 2018, we need him healthy and we need him fit to stand any chance this season at this point. Hope we learnt our lesson when Warner retired……or DID WE?

37. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Darren- With the selection of Logan- RB, does this mean that Chris Johnson is unlikely to return???

38. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Chris Johnson

Don’t know on that. Might still be a chance at the minimum.

39. By D on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Overall I like the draft, especially pick 1 and 4. I worry about smaller Honey Badger size players, do no good in the tub. The only pick I question is the third round selection. I was okay moving down to get back a 4th round pick, but I would have drafted R. Douglas, CB in round 3. He went the pick after AZ. 6’2 Corner who could have competed with Bethel. Cards do have some decent cap space, so a Vet CB is still an option.

40. By georgiebird on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Waching a frail Jim Hart with the white hair and cane announce the Budda Baker draft pick- what a downer. Where have all the years gone?

41. By Patrick on Apr 30, 2017 | Reply

Would like to see the cardinals consider Gary Barnidge. Veteran tight end just released by Browns.

42. By Dan on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Ford won’t make the team, didn’t see anything special at all on the highlights on youtube,thats all i needed to see. I just hope the OT we drafted, Will Holden’s middle name doesn’t start with an H.

43. By mitchaz on May 1, 2017 | Reply

My Assessments:

Reddick: A
    Baker: A
    Williams: B+
    Johnson: A
    Holden: B-
    Logan: A
    Ford: A

Grade: A-

Drafting both Reddick and Baker, 2 of the most dynamic, versatile defensive players in the draft was a grand slam.

I was hoping for Joshua Dobbs at pick #98 and thought that would have been another home run.

Johnson, Logan and Ford were all BPA home runs that niftily filled needs.

I don’t really understand the Holden pick. We already have quality young depth at tackle (Humphries, Wetzel, John and Givens). On tape, Holden does not look like a better RT than Wetzel. Holden is a little better run blocker than Ulrich John, but not as agile and light on his feet as a pass protector. Man, having just re-watched the Senior Bowl, the coaches played him at RG, even though their tackles were getting beaten repeatedly. He showed some strength, but he is more of a contact absorber than a contact initiator. He doesn’t fire off the snap. But once engaged, he is able to wrestle some leverage, more often than not. But his techniques are incorrect.

44. By Jacob Hewitt on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    Do you think the cardinals should have at least drafted 1 QB or do u think they should have even drafted one? And do u know what the cardinals plan will be for QB?

45. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: QB

If they didn’t have one to pick at the spots they were picking, they didn’t. Doesn’t bother me. As for a plan, we’ll see. They aren’t going to stop looking, for sure. Will it become a concern if Palmer retires after the season? Of course.

46. By clssylssy on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Pretty good draft but I don’t know if it will get us back into the contender bracket. I love the pick of Dorian Johnson and am delighted to see that the 0-line was not forgotten. I do hope Johnson will remain healthy and the medical issues won’t be a problem with the rigors of playing at the professional level. Anytime we improve our defense it’s a positive but I do worry about our D-line and believe that losing Calais Cambell is not something that we could afford or that was solved with this draft. It seems that BASK have a definite “type” (little and speedy) that they just can’t resist, in lieu of drafting elite players in positions of need; they don’t seem to be able to stick with a plan but rather are seduced into going off script (which would be OK if we had more picks and could afford the luxery). I fear that we have become reliant on Larry carrying the team and have neglected to find an elite level player that will be able to step into his very large shoes, not only making those catches but also blocking with the physicality, football IQ and vision necessary. I don’t know that much about Chad Williams but he seems like another BA type, all I’ve heard is about his speed, little about his hands or durability and skill as a blocker. Our receiver room got really thin last season, and i don’t see how making Ellington a receiver is going to change that.
    We were loaded with talent last season but lacked the maturity to stay disciplined and focused enough to finish games–or, get off to a hot start; Not much has changed in that regard so at this point, it’s like we just rearranged the furniture. DJ credited CJ a lot with his development last season and now we are without both CJ and Stump Mitchell which doesn’t make me feel confident since BA stated repeatedly that it wasn’t his job to teach.
    I like this draft better than previous ones but think we really blew it not getting our elite Corner and elite WR. I figured we would go after Mahomes but wasn’t unhappy that we didn’t take a flyer on another project when we had so many more pressing needs. Will be interesting to see how things shake out in the coming weeks and if their are any gems who pop up in the UDFA we sign between now and then. Still hope to see Chris Johnson back–we need him, even if DJ is our #1.

47. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Off script

I’m curious, why do you think they go off script? Who’s script? Based on someone else’s rankings or their own? Because they spent weeks putting together their board. And they basically stick to it. So how is that off script?

48. By Eric G on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Loving this draft class now. Yes, even the Reddick pick. I think I hated the pick initially because it was not a CB2, which we desperately needed. (No I’m not upset that we didn’t get a QB either. Would have been nice, but this is a win now team, build later and the cost to move up was way too high). Rudy Ford isn’t the guy, I like him, but we need to sign a CB2. I’m waiting to hear who we signed. Williams and Bethel won’t cut it.

Next year is the year we get a QB, and I don’t care if they give up a 2019 first round pick to get a good one.

49. By michael on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Coach K-

Marcus Cooper played well in games we won – and got himself a pro bowl selection due to those – but had some horrid games in losses. was a real liability on the road especially. I hope he has a better veteran CB this summer. Ignoring this sutation again is insanity

50. By Andy Kw on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Why wont the Cardinals take a look at Jerod Evans

51. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Evans

Just to tick you off.

52. By JTDG on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Eric G,

I get how you are feeling.

I want to blast Keim for not drafting a CB2. I mean this was the best draft I have ever seen of solid CBs, and we drafted none (Rudy is a flyer who played safety).

The first 3 rounds were loaded with guys. How do we not take one?
    Especially when we traded up and could have had Sidney Jones? I don’t get it.

So I want to grade this draft poorly, except, the players he got are pretty good.

Reddick could be a terror once he gets on the field.

Budda Baker is a play maker. A poor mans version of Jamaal Adams. His game is somewhat like the Badgers except he can play deep safety. I wanted Sidney Jones here. I could have even taken Forrest Lamp here, so I should be disappointed. But If Baker stays healthy, this is another really good player.

Round 3 is the round I can point at. (for now). I thought Shaq Griffin at 6′ and 200lbs and 4.37 speed, who held receivers to 30% comp and was a play maker at CB should have been the pick. But instead he traded down and took Chad Williams. Time will tell if this was wise or a mistake.

But, yeah, I get it. I feel like it was a mistake not to come away with CB2 in the first 3 rounds. But I will say, we did get some really good players.

53. By JTDG on May 1, 2017 | Reply

The best line of the draft came from Elliot Harrison of NFL Network.

“The Texans are building the Browns’ dynasty, piece by piece.”

The Browns have the Texans 1st and 2nd round picks in 2018.

54. By clssylssy on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren…
    How many weeks have they been talking about finding replacements for Carson, Larry, and the players we lost? How much drama was there about Carson, Larry, (and even BA) giving us a final shot at a SB run? The “script” I refer to is the one you’ve been writing all these weeks about finding the players we lost through the draft, which, I don’t see that we did. Yes, we got some very good players and not getting a QB wasn’t the end of the world, but with the loss of Calais our D-line got much weaker and wasn’t addressed at all. Yes, we got good defensive weapons but defense starts at the line. I’m not saying we had a bad draft, only that, according to what’s been the ongoing theme for the past months, I think it came as a surprise that they didn’t address the areas they’ve been harping about needing.
    This draft was rich in Corners and we didn’t take one–I don’t think I’m rhe only one who was surprised, disappointed, etc. And, I realize that versatility is huge these days so, I’m happy that our players are versatile.
    Just say’n, the narrative has been something quite different from the reality we ended up with which leaves the same issues we struggled with going into the season.

55. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Script

Much as I appreciate your confidence in me, they don’t run their draft based on what I write.

Also, I often write about needs, and Steve Keim has said over and over and over they don’t draft necessarily for need. Not when they have good options at other spots.

56. By Joe C. on May 1, 2017 | Reply

I hate banking on player improvement but Bethel was hurt. Williams was raw. Williams was a reach for the third. We should be counting on him this year. But this draft does look good. I still think a CB2 as a veteran cut is the way to go unless you are willing to cut bait on Williams/Bethel. There will be opportunities to get a CB2 and a guard around training camp time. I’m looking forward to this season. 10-6 and the NFC west. Cutler in FY18 after a year of backing Palmer and then draft a QB of the future next year.

57. By midnightcochise on May 1, 2017 | Reply

As a former resident of Colorado and Chicago, wearing red in both places.,It would be a shame for me to throw away all my Cards gear if they get Cutler.

58. By midnightcochise on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Mr Dysert , Mr Pipken and Mr Knight

opportunity is knocking. Who wants to be the one to step up and and answer? I think a UDFA with the Cardinals has a better chance to succeed than the next QB Cleveland picks to be the savior.

59. By CARDS62 on May 2, 2017 | Reply

A lot of great posts by Cards fans.

I am not saying we sign Revis tomorrow, but if we did he will be the second best CB on our roster. We have time to sign a very good veteran CB or even trade for one, but we need to do this. The sooner the better, but definitely with at least a couple of weeks to go in preseason. You know we signed Cromartie from the JETS a few seasons ago and that went well for us.

Bethal might be okay if healthy as a third CB, but I think we have to sign 2 veteran CBs before the season starts. CBs do get injured and what happens to this team if PP goes down in week 8 of the season with our current roster? My opinion the season is over even more than if CP, Carson Palmer goes down in week 8.

I hope our young CBs play great, but hope is all we have right now as we do not have any evidence that this is possible. Right now I am confident in saying with this roster our season will end short of the Super Bowl because of our CB position. I also am not sold on our special teams, but will keep an open mind until we get to watch them play in the preseason.

I think our offense will play much better especially early in 2017 as compared to the 2016 season and just hope our defense is good enough so that we can get off to a good start.

Go Cards!.

60. By Scott H on May 2, 2017 | Reply

Yeah, after all that, no QB. BUT I am OK with that. I didn’t see it as a necessity for this draft and I’m glad they didn’t reach for one in the early rounds – and I think reaching is exactly what it would have been – when they clearly had other needs and stood to get better players at those positions.

But also no CB – at least not any that appear poised to make a real impact this year – and THAT was a surprise. Since CB was not addressed in the draft, there is NO WAY they aren’t adding a veteran before training camp. So….who’s it gonna be? I’d love to think it could be McCourty but I don’t see him being willing to come here for a one-year deal.

Who’s the CB that was released by the Bears recently?? Dang it, I had his name a second ago and now can’t remember it! Anyway, seems like that is the type of player we’re gonna end up with.

61. By Scott H on May 2, 2017 | Reply

Tracy Porter. That’s the guy I was thinking about. And, no, I don’t see Tracy Porter as a guy who is going to make an Antonio Cromartie / Larry Foote / Dwight Freeney-type contribution. But….I think that is what you’re gonna get at this point.

62. By clssylssy on May 6, 2017 | Reply

With this draft being so rich at the Cornerback position, I think the biggest criticism of Keim’s draft, not only from many of us old timer fans but also the experts, is that AGAIN this identified need was not given the priority that has been consistently felt to be a major flaw in the Card defense. I like that we got Riddick but , hate that we didn’t AGGRESSIVELY pursue filling the positions of need that have been talked about for the entire 2016 season and 2017 to date. I don’t even want to hear this as an excuse another year. If we don’t make the playoffs this year and don’t do better than a .500 season, then Mr. B. needs to reassess his front office “braintrust”. It’s great to have raw young talent, but somebody needs to be able to develop and mold them, Probowlers rarely come into the league as “turn key” products.

63. By footballinohio on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Darrien Howard
    WVU
    NT

Vid

Ranking

64. By footballinohio on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Darrien Howard- It’s Time For The World To Know Who I Am
    Howard took advantage and had a season to remember. He registered 66 total tackles with six tackles for loss, three sacks, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble.. He helped the Mountaineers finish the season ranked #15 in the nation. In the Russell Athletic Bowl against the Miami Hurricanes, Howard recorded seven tackles in his final game as a Mountaineer. He will get to play in one more game as he was invited to play in the second annual Tropical Bowl on January 15 in Daytona, Florida at Municipal Stadium. “My goal is to play at the next level. I love the game so much that I want to keep going. I really don’t want to stop.”