On NFLN Top 100, Chandler Jones checks in

Posted by Darren Urban on May 1, 2017 – 6:51 pm

It’s that time of year again, when the NFL Network compiles a list of the Top 100 players in the league (based on the previous year, mind you) and opening up the door to debate all the way through. The first Cardinal showed up on tonight’s season premiere when linebacker Chandler Jones came in at No. 85.

Jones made the list last year too, although he was coming off a year with the Patriots. He was 48th last year, following his 12½-sack year in New England. So he tumbled quite a bit even though he still had 11 sacks. My guess is that had more to do with how the team did rather than Jones’ play in particular. It’ll be interesting to see if teammate Markus Golden, who had 12½ sacks, makes this list at some point.

Two former Cardinals made the list tonight as well. Defensive lineman Calais Campbell, coming off his solid final season with the Cards, was actually No. 83 on the list. And one-time linebacker Lorenzo Alexander turned his career year with the Bills into No. 91 on the list.

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to “On NFLN Top 100, Chandler Jones checks in”

1. By Jacob Hewitt on May 1, 2017 | Reply

Fitz I bet is gonna be in the 50s

2. By Chirs on May 2, 2017 | Reply

Any news on the Cards feeling towards D-Wash now that the draft is over. Also will they be looking for a vet at CB?

Do you think with all this flexibility talk they might think about moving Buc back to SS for some packages?

Now I am just being a homer, but cld you see the Cards trying a lose the weight one year prove it deal with Dan Williams?

3. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2017 | Reply

Chirs —

RE: Questions

1) Not yet.
    2) I think that’s possible. Later.
    3) No.
    4. No.

4. By D on May 2, 2017 | Reply

I am already seeing vet CB names being talk about with AZ. I wonder if Keim will have any interest in either J. McCourty or B. Flowers.

(I don’t see T. Brock with his off the field legal issues)

5. By Scott H on May 2, 2017 | Reply

I think a drop off from 48th to 85th is kinda ridiculous for Jones in the Top 100. Really? Why? Because he went from the Pats to the Cardinals?? Stat-wise, he was basically the same player. This is list for ranking of individual players, period. It should have NOTHING to do with how the team they play for fares.

If Jones was basically the same player for the Cardinals he was for the Patriots, then a drop of 40 spots is ridiculous.

6. By NYCardinals on May 2, 2017 | Reply

I’m happy to see Lorenzo Alexander is still playing. Too bad his calf muscles decided to retire early.

7. By jeff on May 2, 2017 | Reply

any info on whether the cards were interested in chad Kelly as udfa if he was available?

8. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2017 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: Kelly

A moot point. I haven’t asked.

9. By D on May 2, 2017 | Reply

Blaine Gabbert? He would be cheaper and younger than Stanton, but would have to learn the system…

10. By Joe C. on May 2, 2017 | Reply

A lot of people are complaining about not getting a quarterback, CB2, about the future of the team. Look at the salary cap and dead money. There are tons of bullets in the ammo belt for future acquisitions. This team is what it is today and has a good future with multiple draft picks and future cap space. And no dead money! Kiem has done a masterful job building a playoff team and not mortgaging the future. We’ll be a playoff contender this year and with any luck make a run (think 2008) and next year and the year after we’ll be in the same position. At least.

11. By clssylssy on May 2, 2017 | Reply

I see on Twitter that the Cards are talking to Blaine Gabbart as the #3 QB? He kind of reminds me of the KMart version of Carson Palmer, kinda bland and forgetable.
    Since we didn’t get our WR or Corner in the draft, I’m hoping that we’ll pick up a good big physical vet to be our #2 WR and our a #2 Corner (there are a number of guys who could be real difference makers)
    Let’s just focus on the task at hand which is to work our way back to relevance.

12. By Eric G on May 3, 2017 | Reply

Looking at the tape of Trevor Knight, he may pan out. Sure, it’s a long shot, but kid looks good. Let’s hope he takes full advantage of the opportunity. He’s got one year to prove himself or the Cards take a QB in next year’s draft.

13. By Joe C. on May 3, 2017 | Reply

Clssy, You sure seem to have given up on this team. I don’t think the cardinals have ever had a longer period of sustained relevance then they do now. 2015 was arguably the best year in the history of the franchise. 2016 was a disappointment but there were years that 7-8-1 and competitiveness would be welcome. We didn’t take a receiver or corner in round 1 but we got a ILB and safety that could start for years. We got a big body receiver and some good o-linemen. Granted the WR and o-line may need to develop. We’re snagging a QB away from being a perennial SB contender. I think we’re already a perennial playoff contender. Heck, a couple field goals and we’d have made them last year. Check out our cap space in future years. We’re watching a franchise being built!

14. By clssylssy on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Joe C…
    I guess we define relevance differently. I only consider Championships and playoff runs, which have been few in my twenty plus years as a Card fan (season ticket holder, away game traveler, memorabilia collecter, etc) as successes. The media defines our relevance and we haven’t exactly been a team being talked about. If we can get to the SB on a vanilla season and nearly take home a ring, that’s worth more than all the numbers that we have nothing tangible to show for our efforts. Yes, since we got the new stadium we have picked up our game, but I’ve given up expecting much more than to win one game at a time. I love to watch “my guys” play the game as they are fun and bring a freshness that seems to have been lost on other teams. I love all football, appreciate quality teamwork and athleticism and grew up in an atmosphere where fans could discuss (and cuss) a team freely and still be a fan. If I had given up on these guys I wouldn’t be here.

15. By Scott H on May 6, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

I love that you get the true meaning of being a fan – which is to say that you understand that being a fan is not just being a blind rah-rah all the time type. Being a fan is about passion and passion goes in ALL directions. And at those times when it is appropriate to question or criticize, those of us that bring it are only showing our passion in a way that shows our frustration. Ain’t nuthin’ wrong with that.

I think your last comment says it all – if you had given up, you wouldn’t be here, on this blog, chiming in on pretty much every topic.