From here, the question of adding vets

Posted by Darren Urban on May 3, 2017 – 4:53 pm

The Cardinals got through the draft and made their picks. No QB. No cornerback drafted early, but the defense got some potential impact playmakers. They collected 17 undrafted rookies, adding an Ironhead and a Gump and QB was served by a Knight, although we’ll see what that truly means. The Cardinals are in the middle of Phase 2 work — that goes on exclusively for another week — and then OTAs will start May 16 and the meat of the offseason work will commence.

There will be moves here and there. There will be tryout players at the rookie minicamp next week and a couple will inevitably be signed, at the cost of a couple of other players on the roster. That’s happened every year in the Bruce Arians era. There will have to be a decision made about what to do with Daryl Washington (no, that has not yet happened.) And then there is the idea of a Keim Time Sign, a pickup of a veteran by GM Steve Keim anytime between now and into training camp that could end up making the roster by the beginning of September. A quick handicapping of the positions he could look at:

Offensive line: The Cards signed Tony Bergstrom Wednesday. He’s likely a depth guy rather than someone who figures to have a chance to start should he make the team. He’s played center of late, and with Evan Boehm working as the first-string right guard, the Cards needed someone to back up A.Q. Shipley, if not compete with him.

Quarterback: The news was out that the Cards at least worked out Blaine Gabbert. We’ll see if that turns into anything. It’d give them an extra arm with experience, and with as much as they have talked about managing Carson Palmer’s practice load, maybe adding another QB right now makes sense.

Running back: I don’t know if the draft closed the door on Chris Johnson, but it seems like it might have. T.J. Logan is young, fresh legs, and they like what they have seen out of Elijhaa Penny. Kerwynn Williams has shown he can run the ball, and after all, David Johnson is David Johnson.

Cornerback: This is the big position. Justin Bethel figures to run with the first unit, at least to begin with. It’ll be hard to see where Budda Baker fits in early because the Washington spring quarter doesn’t end until early June (the final minicamp day is June 8) and he’ll miss most offseason work. The Cards have some mix-and-match possibilities, but right now, it’s Bethel or Brandon Williams in line to start opposite Patrick Peterson. Could the Cards pick up a veteran cornerback? I wouldn’t rule it out, although they may want to see how the offseason plays out a bit.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to “From here, the question of adding vets”

1. By Dr. G. on May 3, 2017 | Reply

Character matters! DWash is not fixable to waste a roster spot. Pass…he will roll box cars again. Spare us the anxiety.

Needing the QB for the future, but… https://raisingzona.com/2017/05/02/arizona-cardinals-signing-gabbert-mistake/

Looks now like we pray Palmer finishes 2017 and look for a bright QB draft pick in 2018 to carry on…. Still can be a force this season!

2. By Eric G on May 3, 2017 | Reply

Please don’t sign Gabbert. I actually don’t really see it happening other than to push Stanton in camp. I like the tape on Trevor Knight and hope he pans out. Unlikely long shot yeah, but so were Warner and Romo.

I’m really hoping for a cb signing in the next week. Can’t wait too long. Is it August yet?

3. By dobie on May 3, 2017 | Reply

why didn’t get Alex Smith when he was a free agent

4. By Big Ken on May 3, 2017 | Reply

I think just kicking tires on Gabbert.

5. By nate on May 3, 2017 | Reply

“…adding an Ironhead and a Gump and QB was served by a Knight, although we’ll see what that truly means”

What?

6. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2017 | Reply

Nate —

RE: Ironhead and a Gump

7. By Big Ken on May 3, 2017 | Reply

I wonder if Sojourn Shelton is the new Tony Jefferson. They seem real high on this kid, natural corner. Personally I’m really excited for training camp to start. It will start early with the extra preseason game.

8. By keimforprez on May 3, 2017 | Reply

Darren

If we go into the season depending on Bethel or Brandon Williams to start opposite Peterson…we are in big trouble!

9. By Dan on May 3, 2017 | Reply

I’ve given up on Brandon Williams and Bethel, both suck.

10. By Luis Calixto on May 3, 2017 | Reply

either way whoever they sign or don t sign is out of our control really I just want the season to start already Carson Larry and David are gonna be the ones to watch

11. By LadyBird04 on May 4, 2017 | Reply

I’m hoping that Bethel proves his worth now that his foot/ankle is fully healed. He was showing some glimpses at the end of the season. We’ll see during OTA’s and pre-season games. I know it’s not a matter of “want to” – he has the size (which is something we haven’t been drafting lately) and certainly the speed and willingness to tackle. Now he just has to get it all together.

12. By cardsbaby on May 4, 2017 | Reply

I hate that rule that a player can not participate with his team until his school has finished their semester. It hurts the team and the kid.

13. By Marlin on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Kinda surprised we didn’t pick up a tight end in the draft. Behind Jermaine, we have a “bust” and a couple of hard working special-teamers. Don’t you think TE might be a spot for a Keim Time signing?

14. By Darren Urban on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Tight end

They don’t think Niklas is a bust as in he can’t play. He can’t stay healthy.

Right now, no I don’t see them signing a tight end.

15. By Scott H on May 4, 2017 | Reply

I don’t see where Gabbert does a damn thing for this team – beyond a camp arm and / or providing rest time for Palmer. Beyond that? I mean, does he want to be a 3rd string QB anywhere right now?

I like the O-linemen they added. Good to have the depth there.

CB – I think they almost have to add someone. Don’t they???

16. By michael on May 4, 2017 | Reply

My take on Gabbert: Its all about 2018

Palmer retires, and Stanton is a free agent (who may also be at retirement). Gabbert has 2017 to learn Arian’s system and serve as the 2018 backup to whichever Free Agent QB SK brings in to lead the team (like a 2-3 year deal for Sam Bradford). Cards also draft a QB in Rd 1, giving him time to develop and not forcing him to step in if QB1 gets injured (Gabbert would be the spot starter as Stanton has been)

in that light, Gabbert is an experienced backup with starting experience.

17. By nate on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Ah it all makes sense now.

Gump Hayes, what a great football name.

18. By jeff on May 4, 2017 | Reply

dwash if he can convince ba, sk n mb that his mind is rite I say give him a shot with a zero tolerance policy…otherwise seek a trade for him in the afc…cant you see him going to seattle and playing at allpro level?

ol unless Boehm and Johnson both are very impressive early in camp we need to sign at least one vet ol who can start

cb we should sign mccourty NOW AND MAYBE TRADE BETHEL IF THE ROOKIES SHOW THEY CAN PLAY ST

gabbert I live in Missouri…I saw every game he played in college(also saw Bradford quite a bit as well) I would take gabber over Bradford ANYDAY. gabbert should have stayed at mizzou for his senior year-that coupled with him being drafted by the jags really hurt his development. he actually played ok on a lousy 46er team and shouldn’t have been benched in favor of ck. a year as 3rd qb under ba and carson/drews tutelage could resurrect his career. imho gabberts defining characteristic is that he doesn’t make players around him better(as we know montanas and bradys don’t grow on trees). his psyche has been damaged and I think ba could bring him around.

19. By jeff on May 4, 2017 | Reply

should have added this…at the first sign of pressure on Bradford he gets rattled and his entire game is thrown off…he was this way at Oklahoma, with the rams, eagles and Vikings…put him behins a superb ol and hes good. gabber doesn’t rattle tho he tries to do to much

20. By LR Wolf on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert profile,,,13-23 1td 1int.

One way ticket to palookaville. If I were king I would take a chance
    on a disabled Teddy B instead. If he is right, he ain’t bad. And if you
    all can use your imagination…ya’ think Jay Cutler is too old to learn and
    execute a few new tricks…he has been in some miserable situations here
    in Chicago…the first two years he had his brains beat in along with lord knows
    how many punk OC’s and the infamous Marc T. Just sayin’ not endorsing.

21. By Richard S on May 4, 2017 | Reply

I just read Jeff Ford’s comment in the Jim Hart story. I couldn’t answer it there, because I’m not on Facebook. His comment was the OL one year with Hart at QB only gave up 7 sacks the whole year. I thought it was 8. Anyway, I made the same comment once on some other blog and someone else answered “Yeah I saw that game” like it was a game instead of the whole season. That gave me a chuckle.

22. By Richard S on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Being an MU fan who watched a lot of MU football from afar in California, I believe one of the reasons Gabbert was drafted so high was he had some really good wide receivers back then in college. My favorite all time MU QB wasn’t even drafted by the NFL although he ended up being a pro, baseball player that is, Phil Bradley.

23. By Richard S on May 4, 2017 | Reply

I remember running into Steve Stepanovich (#2 NBA draft pick right after Ralph Sampson) at the Phoenix airport and sat right behind him on a flight to St. Louis and wished him well in the upcoming draft. I told him I couldn’t believe no one drafted Phil Bradley. He told me he was going to make it in pro baseball. That was the first I heard of that. On the plane the woman seated next to me asked who I was talking to and I said “A future millionaire.”

24. By Eazy E on May 4, 2017 | Reply

To heck with this team and the NFL for that matter if lousy QB Blaine Gabbert gets a workout and a possible deal when Colin Kaepernick who took his job and was productive in spite of the terrible supporting cast and team around him gets ostracized! Blaine Gabbert is better than Kaepernick at nothing! He has a weak arm, inaccurate passer, NO Leadership skills, skittish in the pocket, checks down entirely too much, etc. The only thing that he has as a QB is above average legs, but Kaepernick is much better than him at that also! We’ve seen Kaepernick give us many issues while we had ZERO issues with Gabbert! He almost single-handily beat us last year at UOP, if it wasn’t for that god-awful defense who actually played decent that day! Just working him out is disgusting enough for me, but if he gets signed instead of Kaep, that would be the equivalent of spitting in his face!

25. By Eazy E on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Kaepernick would be a much better fit by a 1,000,000+! Stanton we all know is a poor QB also and we are in a lot of trouble if Carson goes down which is very plausible! Dysert and Knight are just not close to being NFL QBs and I wouldn’t be shocked if Trevor Knight is a Wide Receiver in the future, Kaepernick’s skill set with the huge arm, legs, etc. would be a nice fit in my opinion in Bruce Arians’ Offense and don’t give me that garbage about Gabbert fitting better in his system because no system can a sorry QB fit in PERIOD!!!!!!

26. By Coach K on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Dr. G

We all make mistakes. I’m willing to see how DWash does on the
    interview and how this 30 year old has matured.

27. By joe67 on May 5, 2017 | Reply

To an earlier comment/question about Jim Hart.

Yes Jim Hart was only sacked 7 times in one entire season. Was a record for quite a while. He was a stay at home qb and had Roger Finney, Bob Young, Tom Banks, Conrad Dobler, and Dan Dierdorf on that line. Coach Coryell referred to that line as the “Mean Machine”.
    I believe I am correct in saying each one of them made at least one Pro Bowl..

28. By clssylssy on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Signing some quality veterans could make all the difference for this team in repeating last season or being a contender. I can only imagine what we could do with Anquan Boldin (probably will resign with Ravens), Antonio Cromartie, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Johnson, and DWash! While some of these guys are nearing the twilight of their careers, they still have great experience, knowledge and know the way to the SB, plus they are good onfield coaches and mentors for the younger guys coming up. League minimum and incentives has worked for a lot of quality players like Dwight Freeney, Lorenzo Alexander, Chris Johnson, etc.
    We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    Having raw young talent is great but it takes the kind of insights and real playing experience of the Vets to impact green recruits.
    Let’s Do It! The FA was a bust, the draft was decent, and we could still pull it out with the wisdom and skill of some seasoned veterans. BA says teaching basic stuff is not is job and somebody needs to step up.

29. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Minimum

You are assuming those guys are willing to play for the minimum.

30. By clssylssy on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Darren…
    I can’t imagine that any of them would expect more than the minimum from the Cards–they’ve all been in the house and know the way Arizona works. It would be great if Keim would be willing to pay a fair wage, and go from there, but who knows, it might be worth exploring. Sometimes the incentives can close the gap and all these guys love to be challenged. The worse thing that could happen would be for them to say “No” and we wouldn’t have lost anything. Nothing ventured, nothing lost!

31. By Chuck on May 6, 2017 | Reply

Darren–

What ever happened to CB Mike Jenkins? I remember he was having a nice training camp last year and was expected to at least compete for the number 2 CB job opposite Peterson. He sustained some sort of injury and never played after that. Is he still with the team and wouldn’t he be a good option to at least compete with Brandon Williams and Justin Bethel? Thanks for your time.

32. By Darren Urban on May 6, 2017 | Reply

Chuck —

RE: Jenkins

You are right. Jenkins waas the likely opening day starter before his injury. He is currently a free agent. At this point, I do not expect him back.

33. By Eazy E on May 6, 2017 | Reply

Kaepernick sits and then kneels because of the REAL Injustices going on with Black Men getting shot and killed by the police unarmed! He protests the SINISTER and pure EVIL ACTS happening over this country and he has had NO REPORTED VISITS OR WORKOUTS, a deal fell through with a mystery team earlier on in free agency reportedly, but yet 17 QBs get signed before him who aren’t near his level! Romo and Cutler retire and still NO Looks! I can’t with the NFL no more support them and that includes the Cardinals until Justice is truly served!

34. By Joe Cardea on May 7, 2017 | Reply

Darren, At what point will there be some play where the coaches can evluate real improvement? Is it July? I’m not sure of the clendar and which of the events is really a test.

35. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2017 | Reply

Joe —

RE: On-field

There will be offense vs defense at OTAs and minicamp, but truthfully, the real football won’t come until training camp.

36. By zztop277 on May 7, 2017 | Reply

DO NOT GET KAEPERNICK WILL BE CANCER TO ANY TEAM!!!!!!! I WILL STOP WATCHING AZ CARDINALS.

37. By Tyler Comella on May 8, 2017 | Reply

I would love to see us make a run at signing Jason McCourty. Would be a great fit for the one year prove it deal. Say 1 year 5 million base plus a million in incentives. Plus it fills a huge need if we are still worried about Bethel or Williams.

38. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2017 | Reply

Tyler —

RE: McCourty

You are assuming McCourty would take a “prove it” type deal. I’m guessing he does not want to do that.

39. By clssylssy on May 9, 2017 | Reply

I am a big Terry Bradshaw fan and he loves Kaep(or so he has said) as a QB…and, I have to trust in his evaluation over a bunch of armchair critics who have never played a down, outside of maybe Pop Warner. Bradshaw has a drawer full of SB rings as a QB so has the creds to evaluate players. Does Kaep fit our scheme? Hard to say depending on what you are talking about. BA has attempted to run a wildcat and pistol on a few occasions without success b/c we really didn’t have anybody who had any experience with it. Kaepernick might give this offense something new and fresh while giving a Carson a break from time-to time ,and possibly extending his longivity. Plus, it would give us the element off surprise! Who would ever expect something so progressive from the Cards?
    Kaepernick as a lockerroom cancer? I would say no more than some santimonious zealot. It’s funny that other players don’t have a problem with him, rather they respect him as a skilled football player who is being unfairly persecuted by a bunch of conservative trust fund babies dictated to by politics. He thrived under Harbaugh so maybe he just needs a good coach who’s not a puppet. I expect him to end up with Seattle or New England and wearing a SB ring.
    Trust the players; they are the ones who know the real reality of the NFL and they know who the winners are.

40. By JTDG on May 10, 2017 | Reply

Clssylssy,

Ted Williams was the greatest hitter ever, but wasn’t much of a coach.
    Tommy Lasorda couldn’t get out of the minors, but was a heck of a coach.

To make a jump that Bradshaw won 4 Superbowls so he can evaluate QBs is a huge leap. Sure, he understands what it takes for himself to get to that level, but I do not see front offices lining up to grab him.

What is interesting is Bradshaw was a trouble maker on the Steelers and fought against the things Chuck Noll was teaching him. Funny, Bradshaw won 4 rings with Noll, yet fought him every step of the way.

As for Kaepernick, Romo and Cutler retired and Fitzpatrick isn’t getting calls. All won playoffs games but aren’t getting jobs. I’m sure there are others I’m missing still available. Bottom line, maybe teams are done with the recycled guys and only signed bridge QBs to allow a young QB to come in .

Think about this, before Kaepernick had his revelation and took a knee, he was a back up to Gabbert, who still doesn’t have a job.

So, instead of another conspiracy theory by left wing nut jobs, (since you want to call conservatives names) , maybe know the facts.
    Facts are QB needy teams like Texans, Browns, and Bears went with young guns. The Jets look at grabbing their guy next year (which is wise) . Maybe it is just a numbers game. V

41. By Mike M on Aug 24, 2017 | Reply

Put “Q” in the ring of honor. He was an amazing asset to the cards in his earlier career .