Keim seeks “educational briefing” with Washington

Posted by Darren Urban on May 4, 2017 – 9:34 am

Three years have passed since the Cardinals decision-makers have talked to Daryl Washington. Such is the rules of a suspended player, who in that situation is not allowed to have contact with his team. So, while there has been a conditional reinstatement of the linebacker, no, he is not at the facility working out. The next step, already anticipated and now publicly confirmed by General Manager Steve Keim, is a discussion first.

During an interview with Adam Schein on Sirius XM radio, Keim was asked about Washington.

“To be quite honest with you, we have had dialogue with his agent, but have not have had a chance to talk with Daryl yet, just because of how busy we have been,” Keim said. “We will attend to that in the near future and obviously get a chance to talk to Daryl and see what is going on.”

There are a lot of things that would figure to have to be ironed out with Washington — his contract, his physical shape, his mental shape for football, among others — and that can’t be determined without a conversation.

“There will be a sit-down with Michael Bidwill, our president and owner, and myself and Coach Arians, and again, more than anything, an educational briefing on ‘Just where have you been the last three years, what’s going on in your life?’ ” Keim said. “Once that meeting occurs, there will be a decision made (about Washington’s future with the team).

“It’s been three years, and the way the system is set up right now, there is a lot of unknown.”

Tags: ,

48 Responses to “Keim seeks “educational briefing” with Washington”

1. By Laz on May 4, 2017 | Reply

If Daryl is brought back in and can play anything like the old Daryl the Cards LB talent and depth will be impressive. Potentially takes the LB group from their biggest need to the strength of their defense.

2. By steve on May 4, 2017 | Reply

If it all works out well in the meeting and Daryl is brought back to the team, I would see it as the Cards getting a bonus draft pick this year.

3. By Scott H on May 4, 2017 | Reply

steve –

Kinda the way I was looking at it, too. OR a bonus FA signing.

4. By joe holst on May 4, 2017 | Reply

He isn’t going to play for the Cardinals

5. By Zach Johnson on May 4, 2017 | Reply

At this point and considering what they have done in the draft, do you think they at least workout D-Wash through the preseason to see what he has left in the tank and make him earn his spot? I feel like at this point and considering he’s still under contract that there is no reason not to at least give him a look through the preseason.

6. By Darren Urban on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Zach —

RE: Washington

Again, it starts with the meeting. They won’t think anything is a good idea until they meet with him, see where he is physically, see where his head is at, and see what can be done contractually. So no, I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion they keep him for any length of time. Like Keim said, too many unknowns at this point.

7. By Dan Zinger on May 4, 2017 | Reply

I would love to hear that meeting. I hope he is back. He did his time and an 80% D Wash is better then 90% of what is out there.
    I hope he comes correct for his only opportunity to make amends somewhat. Cards D is looking stout again if everyone who is expected to step up and in does so.

8. By Humberto a Holguin on May 4, 2017 | Reply

I hate to be negative but I do not think D. W. will be the same player. The odds are against him as and if they detect the slightest doubt…the cards will be better without him!

9. By Marlin on May 4, 2017 | Reply

who cares

10. By D on May 4, 2017 | Reply

DWash won’t be the same player after sitting on couch for 3 years. I am guessing, since Mr. Keim hasn’t released DWash by now, they are attempting to see if he and his agent will be interested in playing in AZ for a much reduced salary. No way brass want’s to pay him 2.9mil this year when trust is lacking. If DWash would want to stay, AZ will have one of the better LB corp in the NFL.

Which could result in a certain #58 being available for Dansby or DWash…

No news of CB J. McCourty visiting any teams yet, guessing his asking price is still too rich still…

11. By D-Washer on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Come on D-Wash was one of our best most exciting players. He autographed some hats and talked to two of my sons at the last Training Camp in Flagstaff. Good people make mistakes. What do we have to lose by giving him a chance? Its his big opportunity. I think he will take it and run with it!!!

12. By Scott H on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Nothing we can do but wait to see how this plays out. I know what I WANT – to see / hear that Washington is all there physically, that he seems to have his head on right, that he wants to play some football, they agree on a deal, and that he plays for the Cardinals in 2017 at a level that reminds us just how good this guy was.

A lot to ask? Maybe. So many hurdles to clear….

But what will suck is seeing the Cardinals pass on him and then he goes to another team willing to take a chance on him ( like the Patriots? Shoot, this is right up their alley. Or worse, a division rival like the SEAHWAKS! ) and he plays for THEM at a level that reminds us just how good this guy was. Good lord, after a 3-year absence from the Cardinals and all the hope that many of us have invested that he might return, how bad would it suck to see him return to a division rival and stick it to us twice a year????

Darren – not related, but speaking of the Pats, what is the situation with Michael Floyd? Are they bringing him back? What is Floyd’s situation in general? Is he facing a likely suspension by the NFL? Any jail time?? I would think he HAS to at least get a suspension…..

13. By Darren Urban on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Floyd

I don’t know where Floyd will sign, or his situation. I am assuming he’ll likely face some suspension, but nothing has been announced yet. As for the Cardinals, no, I don’t see a scenario where he returns.

14. By Scott H on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Also not related but I am LOVING the news that Smoky seems back to normal and ready to go!!! Our WR corps took so many hits last year….but getting JB back – actually, getting BOTH of our JB’s back – is a sound for sore ears.

15. By Jay High on May 4, 2017 | Reply

At the very least D Washington will have great trade value. Assuming he is still under contract. There has to be something said for a guy who could have thrown in the towel.Three years is a long time as far as NFL lifespans go and he’s persevered up to this point obviously to get back. I hope he is in a good place mentally, physically and spiritually.He was a dominate LB and maybe he still is.

16. By Darren Urban on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Jay High —

RE: DWash trade

Washington has zero trade value. He’s been suspended for three years.

17. By Joe C. on May 4, 2017 | Reply

FYI, by keeping him on the roster there was a less negative effect on cap space. I think that’s the only reason he wasn’t cut. The downside to giving him another chance is you reward him wth a couple million dollars and cut a promising young player and what if he fails a test, beats up his wife, or gets hurt because he hasn’t been playing. Now you paid him and cut a player you might have developed. I’d certainly let him prove himself until that player has to be cut, that’s the decision point.

18. By Darren Urban on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Joe C —

RE: Contract

It’s incredibly unlikely that, if Washington were to stick around, it would be at his current scheduled salary.

19. By Canadian Redbird on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Judging from all the emails it is so clear that the majority of the Card faithful is supporting giving D Wash a chance to redeem himself and add to an already vaunted d – fence. Don’t make this process so difficult, bring him back and see what he can offer. My crystal ball has him outperforming Dansby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My fear is having him lace up in a 49 er, Ram or Seahawk jersey.

Go D Wash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. By Cactus jeff on May 4, 2017 | Reply

2 givens
    1. The loss of Calais means the dense will be worse
    2. TJ Watt will be rookie defensive player of the year.

21. By NYCardinals on May 4, 2017 | Reply

How many chances do we give him?

The first suspension was for MULTIPLE previous violations of the drug policy. He apologized and said it won’t happen again. THEN IT HAPPENED AGAIN. He said sorry AGAIN, and then he was suspended indefinitely for FAILING ANOTHER TEST.
    (thats besides the fact that he broke his kid’s mother’s collarbone)

How many chances does he deserve?

22. By William Lutz on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Heck, if the Cardinals take a pass on DWash, I am sure the Bengals will take him a heartbeat, they love players with checkered pasts that need a second (or third, or fourth or fifth) chance. Mike Brown IS the patron saint of lost causes.

23. By Dr. G. on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Darren —
    Don’t want to appear naive, but now that the league office has reinstated DWash, are the Cards required to continue his deal as written, or do they have a choice in the matters? Must they cut him in order to negotiate?

Frankly, I’m stumped at the Fan’s reactions. He has really never appeared contrite…only snubbing the team to ignore the sanctions multiple times.. I’m thinking most fans forget the details.

As for MBidwill, this interview must be a required formality or maybe just possible trade bait. He is not a team guy…later. Thanks

24. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Contract for DWash

Now that he is (conditionally) reinstated, he is like every other player on the roster. The team can ask him to renegotiate. He could do that. He could say no and force them to either live with the current deal or release him.

The Cards just got Justin Bethel to take a pay cut, surrendering a year back on the deal. Same type of process.

And again, for this notion of Washington being traded — he has zero trade value. No one is going to trade for him, certainly not under his current contract.

25. By dave on May 4, 2017 | Reply

D,wash & Dansby together again!!!!!!

26. By Joe Cardea on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Darren, You turned me on to overthecap.com and Its great! According to them he’s scheduled to have a cap hit of $4.8M. If they cut him there is $1.8M of dead money so it frees $3M. I’d have to really see something to even consider keeping him. From your post I assume they can tear that contract up and write a new one? I’d trade him for Jay Cutler.

27. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Joe Cardea —

RE: DWash dead money

I’m not sure where they got that much dead money left. I thought it was less than that.

28. By Dan on May 4, 2017 | Reply

He should play for free for 3 years.

29. By Jay on May 4, 2017 | Reply

Darren-

Clearly a lot is unknown with D-wash I’m a cardinals fan and have been since back in the old days with Dennis Green and Ken Whisenhunt . So I’ve seen a lot but he really reminds me of a fresh out of college dansby if not a little bit faster and quicker I think. Anyways what do you think persay , the cardinals give him a chance and he plays at an 80% of what he was before and eventually goes back to his old self . Seeing as the cardinals still need a SS a natural one wouldn’t you say that if Daryl sticks around dansby mentors young riddick. Maybe bucannon might go back to his natural position at SS , wouldn’t that be a nice picture ? Bucannon Baker and Matheiu at safety and either of the last two could lie up outside Maybe and play corner , I think Brandon Williams is a good corner but he’s gonna need a year or two more to get it real good . Plus the inside with nkemdiche. If that happens , you think the defense would be better off in that scenario or is that not a possible scenario ?

30. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Jay —

RE: Bucannon

Buc isn’t moving to safety.

31. By Jonah on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Three years out of full speed tackle football….he is done , won’t play again.

32. By Axael Lugo on May 5, 2017 | Reply

I really hope he plays for Cardinals again . everyone makes mistakes and learns from them and its is hard to find players that love the game and play like D-wash did! by watch old film he was a Great Player. He will do Great thing Here with another chance!!

33. By Joe C. on May 5, 2017 | Reply

I thought he was zero liability if cut as well. I’m not sure if it was adjusted when he was reinstated. I’ve become quite the salary cap geek. So many of these moves have a huge component attributable to salary cap concerns. Its easy to say go sign this guy or that, but if you give them a signing bonus it prorates and future years kills you. I recall Kiem talking about the handicap he was under because he inherited so much dead money. I think these one year prove it deals were more necessity than style. Although they’ve worked well.

34. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Joe C —

RE: Liability

I’m not saying I thought there was no cap hit. I just thought it was less than that.

35. By Dr. G. on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Darren & Cards Fans… I skipped interjecting much this off season…just too much speculation that’s errant mostly.

But, as for Dansby, I quote the great Yogi Berra: “”90% of this game is half mental.”” If Danby is a bit slower, his leadership//game savvy compensates, barring injury.

Thanks Darren again for making your blog//twitter so insightful. Now we can see the DWash issue should be done, and he can go back to tokin’ up…

Be well my fellow Cards Fans!

36. By Scott H on May 5, 2017 | Reply

Joe Cardea –

RE: I would trade him for Jay Cutler

Well, good luck with that. Cutler is apparently retiring to join Romo in the broadcast booth. And on BOTH counts, I say thank the lord. Because now, there is no chance the Cardinals will make either one of those mistakes.

Now, if we could just get Gabbert to retire…..

37. By clssylssy on May 5, 2017 | Reply

According to Twitter this afternoon, the Cards are still in talks with Gabbart…BA likes him…ARG!

38. By Joe Cardea on May 6, 2017 | Reply

Does Fox have any cornerbacks they’ll trade?

39. By Big Ken on May 6, 2017 | Reply

I’ve read where D Washington has kept himself in shape blah blah blah. In fact is he hasn’t play pro football for several years. He should be begging M. Bidwell and the organization for a chance to play. I’m with Dr.G the team should be done with this arrogant player.

40. By don hill on May 7, 2017 | Reply

we have D-Wash’s rights for like 3 years
    at best he can still play at a high level .and has his act together .
    at worst he’s an asset to be dealt

41. By Jon on May 8, 2017 | Reply

I think it will be very easy to see whether DWash has learned something. Assuming the meeting goes well, the Cards should offer him the league minimum and a chance to compete.

If DWash doesnt gratefully take that offer, cut him spot on site.

42. By Grandpa Black on May 8, 2017 | Reply

Looks like DWash will be back. Our defense is going to kill the Seahawks!

43. By clssylssy on May 8, 2017 | Reply

Grandpa Black…
    Let’s hope so! I’m anxious to see how we stack up against some of the other teams we don’t know as well, like the COWBOYS. We are going to get some good opportunities to get our defense tweeked before regular season begine and if we cana throw together a decent D-line, it COULD be good! Division teams are always hard fought and the Seahawks have become the standard, but there are some other teams in other divisions that are going to be our stumbling blocks in the longrun because we always underestimate them and over estimate ourselves,
    Now, for the official verdict on DWash…

44. By John S on May 8, 2017 | Reply

I think they should meet with him, give him a try, and all that… who knows; why be stubborn/personal about it after 3 years. Wouldn’t be surprised he would take a cut/renegotiate to prove himself either; maybe a one year deal? Don’t see how it could hurt if returning close to how he performed in the past… not like we couldn’t use the help if the case.

45. By jaime on May 9, 2017 | Reply

if he is ready to go and he competes to the highest level and “earns” a spot then id say pay him the very minimum and lock it up for the season with conditions to meet before he gets any $ paid at the end of the season, do this each year for 3 years, also have a hands wash clause in contract where cards can walk away with no obligation or $ loss if he doesnt meet all the requirements. Then you can see where his heart is… Third chances are the hardest to prove and rightfully so.

46. By Joe C. on May 9, 2017 | Reply

The problem with DWash is if you cut him, which is our greatest leverage, he is just an unrestricted free agent. Which, frankly, he may prefer. So you keep him under his current contract and pay hin according to the CBA and he makes millions and takes a developmental slot on the roster away. Unless he really shows something I say cut him and say good riddance. And maybe sue him to get back any money we can. But I doubt that’s legal. Or they wouldn’t have paid him.

2. May 4, 2017: Cardinals GM wants 'educational briefing' from Daryl Washington on last three years - Football Fan Report
  3. May 4, 2017: Cardinals want to have a “educational briefing” with Daryl Washington - Sundays Are For Football