Bidwill: “Process” with Washington decision

Posted by Darren Urban on May 10, 2017 – 11:36 am

Michael Bidwill, in New York to be there when the Cardinals’ Amazon/NFL Films series “All or Nothing” won a Sports Emmy Tuesday night, also did a couple of media interviews while there. At one point with Adam Schein, the Cardinals’ team president was asked about the status of the team’s decision about recently reinstated linebacker Daryl Washington.

Bidwill said Washington had some personal things he was taking care of out of town the following weekend after the draft, so it was this week where the Washington situation became more of a Cardinals’ focal point, even though it’s been a couple of weeks since Washington’s reinstatement.

“I don’t see this as a 30-minute meeting,” Bidwill said. “There is a lot that needs to go into this and our analysis, because we haven’t seen him in three years. There is a lot more process that we are going to go through than just having a meeting. I think that everyone has to be comfortable to put him back on the field.

“We’re going to go through our process and hopefully have an answer, one way or the other, here soon.”

Bidwill said he didn’t want to get into specifics about what the team might need to hear from Washington.

“I will speak generally, we need to know that this isn’t going to happen again,” Bidwill said. “That he had accepted responsibility for what happened and what he’d done, and there were a couple different things that happen. … I just think, generally, we need to know players accept responsibility, have addressed their issues in a therapeutic way in which we know professionally they are going to be good to go moving forward and that we are going to be comfortable having them around.

“Also, when you have a player off the field for three years, that’s a big deal. … We’ve got some more process to go through.”

Tags: ,

36 Responses to “Bidwill: “Process” with Washington decision”

1. By joe holst on May 10, 2017 | Reply

adios #58, read between the lines, is a workout set up for him?

2. By D-Wash! on May 10, 2017 | Reply

Come on bring him back! Nothing to lose the world to gain!!!

3. By JJ on May 10, 2017 | Reply

I thought it is more like : bienvenido #58, get your stuff together and come back. show some remorse and get in shape.

4. By Dana on May 10, 2017 | Reply

I’m a bit wary as to how this will play with the NFL fans considering Ray Rice could not even get a work out with ANY team after his abuse situation. I think the visual/visceral evidence definitely doomed Rice’s career, but also his skills seemed on the decline and whatever team had the courage (or lack of ethics?) to pursue hime would have been scrutinized and criticized. I’m not sure that when a guy is punished for what he does wrong and when he shows remorse, though, that he does not deserve another shot — assuming, unlike what was apparent with Rice, that he can still play the game at a high level. I think this will ultimately be what the Cardinals will consider. Washington has paid for his wrongdoing and whatever criticism the team MAY receive, should they decide to keep him on, that has to be kept in mind.

5. By John Etiopio on May 10, 2017 | Reply

Bring him back, and put Deone back to his natural position strong safety, a win,win….

6. By Brendan B on May 10, 2017 | Reply

Three questions for his potential future with the cards-
    1. Has he truly learned from his mistakes, put it behind him and genuinely become a better man?
    2. It’s been 3 years. Can he still play at an NFL level?
    3. There’s no way you can bring back a guy after his type of misdeeds and missed playing time under his current contract. Would he be willing to restructure for less?

My guess is the Cards move on from him. There’s no pressing need at the position, and there is a ton of water to bridge. If the answers for 1 and 2 are both yes, he’ll probably get a shot on another team though.

7. By Fred on May 10, 2017 | Reply

I think they don’t need to waste time or any more money on him. He has had his second chance, and I will be very disappointed in the team if they let him come back. I have applauded how quickly they have dealt with these issues with others.
    Meet long enough to say goodbye.

8. By Cardinalfan4life on May 10, 2017 | Reply

we need him would be very happy to see him back along side Dansby . Keeping fingers crossed.

9. By Judy Beatty on May 10, 2017 | Reply

If they determine that he is dealing with his problems, anger ,and has given up the pot for good. And if he will redo his contract for less money, and if the locker room does not object, and I doubt they will , then give him a chance. You never know, this might be the one chance that will keep him on the right path.

10. By Kevin S Mesa on May 10, 2017 | Reply

Am I correct in assuming that if the Cards were to bring Washington back, and then he screwed up again — say, substance abuse violation in week 6, suspended again, then (a) he gets to keep all the money he earned in weeks 1-5, and (b) the Cards don’t have to pay him the remainder after that?

If so, do they have the flexibility to structure a contract (assuming Washington would agree to it) under which he’d be paid as little as possible — perhaps the league minimum — but then get a hefty bonus at year’s end, only if he stayed clean? Is there a limit to how much of a contract can be based on incentives like games played?

11. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2017 | Reply

Kevin S —

RE: Washington

If a player is suspended, he will not get what’s left of his contract. He would keep what he already earned.

As for incentives, they can pack in plenty. Not sure he’ll get that much though.

12. By krehbieo14 on May 10, 2017 | Reply

D-Wash-
    There’s nothing to lose? How about the reputation and integrity of the organization. I am glad that Bidwill views the vetting as a process, and does not give into his football instincts like some fans choose to do. This decision impacts the character of the Cardinals franchise. Take your time on this one Bill. No hurry.

13. By Scott H on May 10, 2017 | Reply

Unless there are major red flags / clear indications that he is just not there – mentally OR physically – then get a deal done ( honestly, Mr Washington can want what he wants but it would seem he is NOT in a position to dictate ) and give him a uniform.

No, they don’t need to rush the process. But they know what they are looking for and they are going to know pretty quickly if they want to move forward with this. And if they DO, then it it behooves us to get him up and working AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

And FWIW, I do not see the organization taking big hits to their reputation or integrity by bringing Washington back. Really, I don’t. Hey, it wasn’t all peaches and cream, but if the Eagles could bring Michael Vick back into the NFL and have their fan base accept that…..

14. By Axael Lugo on May 10, 2017 | Reply

For all those comments of people saying he shouldn’t play with the cardinals and doesn’t deserve a second change because Ray Rice couldn’t get a job. man get out of here if your so dam holy and never made a mistake! This Guy did everything he was supposed to do and by far deserves a second change to play here. along as his personal stuff is in order and focus to proof he is that GREAT Player is was.!!

15. By jeff on May 10, 2017 | Reply

dwash will probably not play for cards but if he can still play he will be in the league…there is a lot of talk about teams wanting to keep their integrity anddo the right thing and that’s all it is is talk…short of murder if you can play some team will take you…this years draft proved that…my guess is he will end up with the dallas penal instution cowboys…jerry jones evidently wants nfl to allow players to smoke weed…hey it worked for Michael Irvin, right?

16. By DanZ on May 10, 2017 | Reply

Michael Bidwell will do the right thing. He has earned our confidence to do such by everything he has done for the organization since he became involved. So let the process do what it’s intended. And not Jerry Jones this thing.

With that said, lets play hypothetical for a second.
    I truly believe that had DWash been on the field for just the first 8 games last year, we would have been in the playoffs in 2016. We spent the first half of the season waiting for Tony Jefferson to learn his new responsibilities as quarterbacking the defense. (See where that got him and now us)That cost us games in my opinion. DWash would have helped offset that learning curve. (Letting Rashod Johnson go was a huge mistake) Remember the DB’s running around and into each other last year before Jefferson figured it out half way through the season.
    So instead of blaming a kicker and special teams for an unacceptable result last year, we really should be looking at the real issues. The offense and defense put our poorly prepared special teams in a position that they could not handle. And some of the players landed on the sword for it.
    Good team rarely depend on their special teams (mostly non starters) to win games for them.
    I hope he’s clean, and I also hope he still has anger issues, on the field of course.
    I would hate to see him lined up opposite of our offense twice a year if he is even 80% of what he used to be on the field.

17. By Keith on May 10, 2017 | Reply

D-Wash has paid a huge price for his mistakes. If he takes responsibility for those mistakes and has made the nessasary changes. Bring him back yesterday ! Hell yeah !
    I do take the spousal abuse charge very seriously. Can’t ever happen again.
    PS, the NFL marijuana policy is ridiculous ! Tobacco, alcohol and Vicodin are all legal for use. Along with processed foods, Twinkies ! What a Sham ! #money#greed#elections#lobbists#big Pharma#corporations#stupid people

18. By CardsNation on May 10, 2017 | Reply

Brendan B-

Do your research on the third question, don’t say random things to confuse people.

19. By CORMAC on May 10, 2017 | Reply

People please. Everyone acts like they are puritans. D wash has made mistakes but who among regular people have not smoked some bud and had a fight with their woman. Get over it. This kid was one of the BEST. Anyone who thinks he cannot attain that level again is smoking something worse than bud. They would be fools not to sign him to a deal. They have the upper hand and can get a great deal. Don’t be STUPID. He gets along with all the players and has always been a great team player. He is a young man. Give the kid a break and BACK OFF!!!

20. By jeff on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Cormac

I agree completely…I just don’t think bidwill will take him unless ba throes a screaming hissy fit…I still think defense will be great IF WE HAVE A #2 CORNER

21. By Coach K on May 11, 2017 | Reply

I can see DWash and Dansby back together again in the middle when they made plays all over the field. Add the new talent and we will have one of the best linebacking groups in the league.

DWash will have 27 year old legs and will have no problem getting back in shape.

Give him a low ball contract and it’s a Win Win for the Cardinals.

22. By Jerry on May 11, 2017 | Reply

I don’t recall fans worrying about team integrity when Keim drafted Mathieu, a seemingly hopeless weed junky. The kid is an example of how a person can be rehabilitated. Wahington’s domestic abuse charge was grossly exaggerated and doesn’t compare with the severity of the Ray Rice incident. With public opinion leaning toward legalizing marijuana, why does the NFL punish this offense so severely? It’s a NO BRAINER…..bring the kid back! Otherwise, he’ll play somewhere else and come back to haunt the Cards!

23. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Jerry —

RE: DWash

Curious — how do you know the assault charge was “grossly exaggerated?”

24. By clssylssy on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Darren…
    And, how do you know it wasn’t. According to the paper, it was more of a “he said/she said” that she provoked by throwing a flower pot at his head , At first she was described by the media as a “person known by police” because of her personal history”. He stepped up and took responsibility for the good of the child, something the NFL and the Cards want to hang him for.
    Since none of us were there, guess we can only speculate. I do know that custody disputes bring out the worst in people.
    Changes to behavior take time and alluding to his three year absense as being due to anything sinister without facts is pretty disgusting. Humans are flawed and who are we to judge? I just hope that those judging others don’t have kids or loved ones who one day make mistakes and have to depend on the compassion of others to iturn their lives around. Working in mental health for thirty years, I have seen it all and bad things DO happen to good people!

25. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: DWash

1) I don’t. But I’m not the one who said “grossly exaggerated” as fact.
    2) He pleaded guilty. That doesn’t sound like “he said, she said” to me. This particular point had nothing to do with custody. I had to do with an assault charge.

I never said one word about how Daryl is now, whether he’s changed or anything like that. The comment said the assault was “grossly exaggerated.” I asked how he could possibly know that.

I also confused about you saying the absence was implied about being for “anything sinister.” I don’t know who was saying that. At the same time, he was suspended. He wasn’t suspended just because the league didn’t like him. There were reasons, and rules broken.

26. By krehbieo14 on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Keith-
    “DWash paid a huge price for his mistakes?” How about the Cardinals. He shafted them numerous times and cost them big bonus money. Take your time Michael!

27. By Jerry on May 11, 2017 | Reply

My “grossly exaggerated” comment was based on my impression of how severely the NFL interpreted the incident. As I recall (and I’m now 80, so cut me some slack) Washington shoved his wife during an argument over child custody and she fell, breaking her collarbone. I don’t think that equates to punching a woman in the face. Anyway, I think the Cards should reinstate the guy.

28. By carlsonchemist on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Darren

Re: D Washington’s Domestic Violence

I interpreted Jerry’s response to mean that the amount of physical abuse inflicted was much more severe in the case of Ray Rice. We all saw the appalling photos revealing the physical aftermath and vids of Rice’s attack in an elevator. I’ve not seen any such reports regarding Washington’s brutality in the news or social media.

You also mentioned that Jerry reported his opinion as “fact”. I read an opinion, not something Jerry stated as fact. Don’t facts require citations that reference a statement? I didn’t see any, did you?

This website, as I understand, is dedicated to patrons expressing their opinions. And as much respect as I have for you in your reporting, most of what you report is your own professional opinion too as a reporter since you’re not a decision-maker for the Cardinals.

29. By krehbieo14 on May 11, 2017 | Reply

I am proud of Michael Bidwill and the Cardinals organization. As I always say, “you can’t go back to the ways things were.”

30. By Scott H on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Well, folks, I just saw the news that Washington has been released.

Not what I was hoping for, but….told ya it wasn’t gonna take them long. They were gonna know real quick what they were doing – or NOT doing.

Guess we can move on. But we will ALL be watching this to see where it goes for Daryl Washington. I don’t WANT this to be something that comes back to bite us or for it to turn out to be a poor decision by the Cardinals. I WANT to believe the organization took the time to evaluate this via a fair process and made the right decision. But….

Did they??? Less than 24 hours ago, we were being told they were going to take their time and that there was going to be a lot more process to this than just having a meeting. Less than 24 hours later, he is released.

So, I really do hope that Washington doesn’t now go somewhere else and resume playing at a level that makes it look like the Cardinals made a bad choice.

I say that as a football fan. From a human perspective, I hope that he will move on from here as a better person.

31. By Joe C. on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Wow, I never saw anything anywhere other than a factual accounting of what happened. No sensationalism or anything. Just a statement that they argued and he pushed her down. Darren’s response was totally appropriate. And if you think anything a woman does verbally or even physically deserves a physical response from a pro bowl nfl linebacker then you have a problem. I would have liked to see Dwash try out but I suspect under the CBA the cards would have had to apy him the $M on his contract or cut him. given the depth of the cads LBs I’m not surprised DWash wouldn’t renegotiate. He can sign somewhere that needs LB’s and get playing time.

32. By Dan Zinger on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Well, after reading all the comments on this subject today, it has become easy in my mind why the Cards cut and ran on this.
    I heard that they asked him to take the league minimum and he declined. They said well that makes our response easy, adios!
    If that is true ( maybe Darren can help us here on that point)
    Then the Cards made a business decision and not necessarily a morale one. So I for one do not want to hear about them taking the high road on this when it really came down to the cost to make this bet. Because it is a gamble.
    And if this blog is a litmus test to fan reaction either way, the Cards can’t win either way, so cut him now to stop the cancer it is about to create in their fan base and push the positive that comes out of camp the next 4 months and we all sit together without killing each other at home games this year.

33. By Joe C. on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Dan, don’t you think that DWash not be willing to take the league minimum speaks to the level of remorse he is feeling? He took big bucks while suspended AND tied up cap money preventing the Cards from signing some of those All Pros ClssyLssy is always after the FO to sign. If he is concerned about himself financially, to the point that after being out of the league for three years he wouldn’t sign a one year prove it deal, I suspect that deep down he’ll get his multi million dollar contract, with guarantees, and worry about number one. While he WAS a great player, he’s not a position of need and he will potentially impact the development of Reddick. If he was an off the street free agent would you use available cap space on him?

34. By Dan Zinger on May 12, 2017 | Reply

I couldn’t agree more. He showed everyone what his intentions were by not accepting their make good deal. Unfortunately, he also got what he wanted. A chance to get a fresh start somewhere else and get the money too. Shows a lack of the type of character you wpuld want in that situation. The fan didn’t have a chance to look him in the eye and hear what he had to say in that meeting so when i saw thst he refused the minumum to make good, thst was enough for me.
    I suspect that the Cards already knew. They may not have had contact with him but Im sure they wete getting reports. What good buisness wouldnt do that. a better idea

35. By Dan Zinger on May 12, 2017 | Reply

I couldn’t agree more. He showed everyone what his intentions were by not accepting the Cards make good deal. Unfortunately, he also got what he wanted. A chance to get a fresh start somewhere else and get the money too. Shows a lack of the type of character you would want in that situation. The fans didn’t have a chance to look him in the eyes and hear what he had to say in that meeting so when I saw that he refused the minumum on a make good deal that was enough for me.
    Hypothetically..
    I would take a look, work him out and if everything lines up, take a chance and I think many owners will too, if he can help their team.
    I was a first year season ticket holder and passionate Cards fan. Grew up back East and was a Redskins fan from the time Vince Lombardi coached them. But when the Cards moved here in 88, I became a Cards fan and nothing but the Cards. So I was as angry as anyone when D Wash …Washed out.. but I also hoped we had a feel good story potentially this time and it would have helped me personally get over the “All for Nothing” mess from last year.

2. May 11, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | Washington out as Gabbert comes in