Washington out as Gabbert comes in

Posted by Darren Urban on May 11, 2017 – 2:26 pm

And so the Daryl Washington saga is over.

The Cardinals released him Thursday, just ahead of the official signing of Blaine Gabbert and just ahead of the rookies starting to report. It seemed like it might take longer to come to a decision, but it didn’t. Washington said in a statement that a fresh start was good. Mike Jurecki tweeted that Washington told him he didn’t want to play for the league minimum salary, which fits the time line. I would’ve guessed that was a prerequisite — the Cardinals weren’t going to just ride with Washington’s current deal.

Regardless, we’re basically back to where we were three weeks ago, when Washington was still suspended. As I have noted, I was surprised about a lot of this because I didn’t think there was a chance he would play for the Cardinals again. Turns out, Washington will not. We’ll all watch to see what happens with his career. I know many fear Washington signing with another NFC West team and haunting the Cards. He’s still missed three years of football. At this point, it’s impossible to predict anything. As long as he’s around somewhere, I guess someone will still shoot me DWash questions. But it won’t be about his future with the Cardinals. That’s done.

— Washington will count $1.875 million in dead cap space, according to multiple cap sites. He was due to make $2.9M in salary with another $100,000 in workout bonuses (which I’m not sure he would’ve qualified for by now), but that would save $3M in cap room off his contract. He has no dead money beyond this season, meaning they are clear of anything Washington-related after 2017.

—  There is a lot of debate about whether Washington deserved another chance with the Cards. (I won’t say a second chance because I’m not thinking this would’ve been No. 2). There are legitimate arguments for both sides. But that it came to this result can’t really shock anyone, no matter what side you might argue.

— Speaking of debate, the Gabbert signing has sparked a lot. Nationally it seems to be a touchpoint about the future of Gabbert’s former teammate Colin Kaepernick and why Kaepernick hasn’t gotten signed. But with the Cardinals, it’s about where Gabbert fits. That’s TBD, but it can’t really hurt to have Gabbert around. See what he has, whether he makes more sense to have around than Zac Dysert or Trevor Knight. (As I said yesterday, I don’t see Gabbert supplanting Stanton. Not this year.) And don’t lose sight of the fact the Cardinals want to make sure Palmer doesn’t overextend himself before the season. Having another arm is important in that regard.

Tags: ,

60 Responses to “Washington out as Gabbert comes in”

1. By jaime on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Jeez watchn that groundwork, Buc has turned into a Beast! Wow. heads will roll this season.

2. By joe holst on May 11, 2017 | Reply

I told everyone on this he was done but everyone had denial, it just shows that Darren and I are the only ones who have an understanding of how football works

3. By Scott H on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

So, are we to understand that the league minimum IS what Washington was going to play for if he was going to play here?

We’re hearing HIM say that he feels like he is in the best shape of his life. That’s probably hard to believe. I mean, he could be in very good shape and still not be in NFL football shape. The team does not seem to be commenting on THAT aspect of this. So….it will be interesting to see what kind of shape he really IS in.

Darren, can you comment on that at all? Did you see him at all when he was around, talking to the guys upstairs?

Wishful thinking, my man, to think we may be done with questions about Daryl Washington! 🙂

Wonder if the Patriots have called him yet.

4. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: DWash

That’s how I would interpret it. But I think it’s moot now.

I have not seen Daryl since I interviewed him in the locker room a few days before his suspension. I have no idea what he looks like these days.

5. By D on May 11, 2017 | Reply

5 Preseason games gives coaches plenty of tape for our basketball team size QB room.

DWash will figure out quickly that the Jets or any other team won’t pay more than league min (if they are smart), it will come down to incentives in a new deal.

I’ll give M. Bidwill credit to stay True to his Word and not give different treatment to star or former star players…although, like I have said before and received grief for it, I would have cut DWash the Friday during the draft once H. Reddick was onboard..

6. By JTDG on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Washington out because he did not want to play for the minimum. I’m sure he will be searching the NFL looking for a LB needy team. With the signing of Dansby to go with Bucannon and the drafting of Reddick, the ILB spot was crowded.

As for Gabbert, I remember BA talking about liking him a few years ago. This signing is not surprising. BA will get a good look at him. If he does well in camp, BA can take a look at him with the first team on Wednesdays to evaluate him for 2018.

Stanton is a FA next year and if Palmer retires, Gabbert could be a nice bridge QB if he pans out, while they draft their QB in 2018.

Darren, I do have a question for you;
    I do like Trevor Knight (as I root for the Aggies). But I do have to admit Knight is not an NFL QB. But at 6’1″ and 220 lbs and 4.5/ 40 speed and very athletic, could the cards use him as a receiver or safety project ? Any talk/rumors on that ?

7. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Knight

As of right now, I have not heard anything along those lines.

8. By Scott H on May 11, 2017 | Reply

On another note, is anyone else as thoroughly SICK of hearing about Colin Kaepernick as I am? I find it ridiculous that the Cardinals signing Blaine Gabbert somehow becomes a platform for questions about why Kaepernick hasn’t been signed yet. In fact, I find it offensive. The Cardinals should be able to sign whoever they want to play QB for their team without it becoming about Colin Kaepernick.

I am SICK of hearing about this guy. I’m SICK of whatever his protest is. I’m SICK of people having a problem with his not having a job.

It is simple – Colin Kaepernick’s problem is that HE IS JUST NOT A VERY GOOD QB. If he WERE a good QB, he’d have a job. Done. Simple. End of story.

Frankly, there DO seem to be concerns about his character and his personality as they relate to being a QB in the NFL, a leader. And ya know what? If that IS the case, then that is a problem HE has created for himself. The world does not owe him a job in the NFL. Or anything else. If he can earn it, then he’ll have it.

He’s no different than anyone else. So, to the rest of the world, I say let’s stop treating like he is.

9. By Jon Elder on May 11, 2017 | Reply

I said in the last Washington thread that if he isn’t willing to play for the minimum, that should be interpreted as him having learned nothing and being only about himself.

Glad they cut him, no time for distractions on our way to the big dance!

10. By Tom Green on May 11, 2017 | Reply

It’s all good. At first I was hoping to see Washington back on our defense, but at this point after paying Daryl the huge bonus, what 10 million and not having him on the field, he should’ve offered to play for 1 year maybe with really great performance incentives for him to prove himself. Gabbert is a surprise as Stanton has already proven he’s a great back up and knows the system well, but maybe the O-line coach kwows he’s not going to be able to protect Carson well enough to make it through the season and we might need 3 experienced QBs just in case.
    Ouch! Welcome Blaine, hope you get lots of reps in pre-season to show us what you’re really made of with the receiving corps we have now.

11. By thegreatgabbert on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert is far better than Stanton.

12. By NJAzCardsFan on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Remember the Cards had to pay DWash a bonus when he was first suspended. It was something like $5 or $10m. So him taking the league minimum to come back would have been fair for both sides. But I guess that DWash didn’t see it that way.
    Keep in mind the Cards FO sent Floyd packing for a lot less….. Starting over at his age after being off for 3yrs is going to be tough, IF some team gives him chance…

Scott H. nice spiel about Kap… I agree with you 110%…..

13. By Big Ken on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Wow! So goes history. BTW I think BA sees Stanton as a ‘trusted’ backup. Not a savior but the best band-aid available. There will be many cool training camp stories this year.

14. By georgiebird on May 11, 2017 | Reply

IDarren,
    If DWash were to be signed by another team in 2017- would that affect his cap hit on the Cardinals payroll in 2017 ?

15. By Darren Urban on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: DWash hit

No. The remaining cap hit is for bonus already paid long ago.

16. By Canadian Redbird on May 11, 2017 | Reply

What a BS move by Bidwell. These guys ( Bidwell, Keim & Arians ) have made some bone head moves and this one tops the list. They kept our 34 yard average punter Drew Butler for 3 years; why ?and now this. I’ve been a Cardinal fan for 30 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats the harm in giving Washington a chance ? If his skill set is not there, then cut him. I hope that he catches on with another team and shows he can play; just not a team in the NFC West. Can’t believe how disappointed I am. This mistake is on you Bidwell !!!!!!!!

17. By Darren Urban on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Owner

It’s Bidwill.

18. By Andy Kw on May 11, 2017 | Reply

I supported DWash up to this point and was hoping he would be willing to play on a league minimum or just a little over $1M as a result to his troubles. That’s the least he could do. How is over $700K not enough to feed or support your family. Still greedy as ever. If he chooses to play for a division rival, he has no heart.

19. By creditcard on May 11, 2017 | Reply

It should be written that the Cards don’t draft / sign ILB with the first name of Daryl. Call it bad luck or omen, something … both Washington and Blackstock just didn’t pan out right.

20. By creditcard on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Another thought: toast should never be served as a breakfast item for the DBs.

21. By TucsonTim on May 11, 2017 | Reply

How and why did this happen. How many pro bowl linebackers that could absolutely shut down half of the field are out there?

We will probably never know. We are left to read between the lines. Darren’s overly confident writings about D’wash tell me he heard enough from the higher ups that D’wash was never going to wear Cardinal red again.

Is that the best way this could play out for the Cardinals? This man was a PRO BOWL break your ribs line backer.

Do you want choir boys or break your ribs line backers? Those of us who pay thousands of dollars a year for season tickets to see a super bowl ring…not super bowl loser, not NFC loser, not division loser want to know.

Was this about winning or ratings?

22. By JTDG on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Agree 100%.

If Jamies Winston took a knee, he is not getting cut. And if he did, he would be a FA for about 3 minutes. Why? Because he is good.

Another thing lost in the narrative is, Eric Reed also took knees, yet he has a job.. (uhhmmm, that doesn’t fit the narrative, does it?)

There were players on other teams taking knees, yet they are employed. (What, no one is mentioning that, are they)

Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Christian Ponder, Ryan Fitzpatrick, RG3, all lead teams to the playoffs and do not have NFL jobs.

Hey Shannon Sharpe, please tell me why they aren’t employed? Did they take knees ?

Kaep was bad in 2014. Then, in 2015 do the card fans forget what happened? He threw 2 pick 6’s in the first 6 minutes of the game.Just watched the Badger take it in on All or Nothing.

Truth is,
    -before he ever took a knee, there was talk he was going to be cut from SF.
    -Before he ever made his protest stand, he was benched behind Blaine Gabbert. —Before any of this noise, he was called a bad team mate, a poor leader,
    -Before taking a knee it was rumored he was on a trading block, but teams like Denver and Houston chose others and did not trade for him.

Why? Please tell me this new twist.

Just go back to stories in 2015; Here is just one

“Kapernick struggled this season as a pocket passer, lacked accuracy and touch, and his field vision was troubling.”

Kaepernick not having a job because he took a knee is a complete made up story to push an agenda. Fake News

23. By Dan on May 11, 2017 | Reply

Dwash is a bum………Gabbert could be a steal.

24. By Infitzwetrust on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Big difference from being in the best shape of your life than being in the best football shape in your life.

The current core in addition to how we utilize our safeties at times, this shouldn’t be a negative defensive performance issue at all.

I understand the emotional part with player attachment, but we made the right business an ethical decision. Team culture is important.

25. By Eazy E on May 12, 2017 | Reply

It’s really sad to see the Cardinals lose themselves the way they are. I mean you cut Daryl without even considering how he looks, fit in the Defense, etc.

26. By Eazy E on May 12, 2017 | Reply

To all the Kaepernick haters out there, Blaine Gabbert is the worst damn QB since the AFL-NFL Merger literally, he’s 166th out of 166 QBs since 1970 with his dreadful win/loss record/percentage of 9-31 with QBs starting at least 40 games SINCE THE MERGER! He won’t make the roster yet we passed on Kaepernick who has achieved much more than Gabbert ever dreamt of achieving in any year! He is not the future of the Cardinals by any stretch unless the Cardinals want to return to being garbage! This dude is sorry as heck and it’s a shame that the Owners and Front Office Executives are going to be that petty and small because their itty bitty feelings were hurt! What that Brotha was saying was 100% true and undeniable, but the owners and personnel couldn’t take it because they are some of the prime participants in this white supremacist system sadly that got ALL of the Black Players on the Cardinals not saying a damn word! All the Righteous Works that he’s done for people who are facing REAL PROBLEMS & ISSUES, yet 18 QBs who are all well below Kaepernick get signed because he told the truth about this racist country and it’s failure to live up to the ”greatest country in the world” status! God help us or better yet God help those who follow You because this is a SAD WORLD WE LIVE IN…

27. By Don Short on May 12, 2017 | Reply

While I understand the decision, I’m sorry it ended this way. Garth Short

28. By shannon robinson on May 12, 2017 | Reply

This is not a money decision. I had to first go through as a Coach, what do I tell the guy I’m cutting? : “We’re going to give this guy a ‘Second Chance’ so we’re letting you go”‘ or “Stay in shape because Mr. Washington is on a short leash….?” There’s no good message to the rest of the team either. Then I started thinking, what if he’s vocal? Do I tell him to be careful not to drown out Mr. Dansby or Chandler Jones? So JTDG is right to move on. Cutting DWash is addition by subtraction. I hope he revives his career. By the way, I also wouldn’t care if he succeeded on a team in our division, because I’d always know how to play him.

29. By Marlin on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert is here to push Stanton.

30. By faster on May 12, 2017 | Reply

darren, thanks for the update about the reason for the decision, i would have liked dwash with a third chance, but only at the veteran minimum, maybe with incentives.

and because i enjoyed some great games from him, i wish him luck with his future, in and out of the NFL, and maybe he can defeat three years out. i doubt it, but i wish him the best.

@scott h, your rant about floyd, and your rant about kap, it`s your right to do it, but if you use caps, you loose a lot of credibility.
    in my opinion, kaepernick is a lot better then some of the starting QBs in the NFL and his politics should not sway my opinion in one or another direction. nor his character, if i may mention it (i do not like kaepernick much).

31. By clssylssy on May 12, 2017 | Reply

At first I was disgusted with the Cards, mostly because I don’t believe they ever really had any plan to give Washington another chance but were probably surprised at the number of fans who supported seeing him in a Cards uniform. I really have no patience for all the unnecessary drama, just want to see this team win something on the football field. This is the NFL, not a church league, and while we have some young talent, it’s going to take time for them to be impact players…whatever. As a football fan, my interest was in seeing the Cards with a killer defense which we haven’t really had; Dansby and Washington would have provided a scary and intimidating force with secondary talent the icing on the cake (providing HB can still play at anywhere near his former form).
    In the longrun, I think Washington will come out the better for moving on and starting over. There are plenty of teams who could benefit from his services, who have good coaches and fans–the Ravens, Saints, Seahawks, Chargers, Chiefs, etc. Good luck Daryl, and best wishes for a good fresh start!

32. By Chris G. on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert’s detractors say he has skills but is afraid of his own shadow. Looking back at his past, was he ever coached up by a QB friendly coach like BA? Is being afraid in the pocket something he can be coached out of? The Cards aren’t taking a huge risk to find out and are bringing in some much needed competition in the QB room. The Cards also look to be building a dynamic defense and now have a solid veteran presence in Dansby, similar to the presence that Freeney brought to the table. Dwash would have been a distraction, so good luck to him somewhere else. I hope he gets it together.
    No camp cupcake and no distractions! I like the direction that the team is taking. It should be fun to watch.

33. By Scott H on May 12, 2017 | Reply

faster –

RE: Using caps

Um, you may want to try using a few yourself. Like, at the beginning of your sentences, where they belong?

34. By Scott H on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Eazy E

Having read your post, I rest my case.

How far back are we going to reach the point where Kaepernick achieved anything? If his talent, his ability, what he has achieved is so apparent….why doesn’t anyone want him? Why / HOW could that possibly make sense unless there was a vaild reason for it?

A “white supremacist system that got all the black players on the Cardinals to not say a damn word?” Really? OK, I guess we know where you’re coming from. But, really, I was trying to keep this simple and just make it about football.

Oops, I used caps. Guess I just lost all credibility.

35. By MAJOR on May 12, 2017 | Reply

I don’t know who made the final decision, but u made big mistake by releasing washington without even giving him a chance.But then thats what money mongers do. He will come back and bite u on the ass.Makes me wonder what kind of COACH, GENERAL MANAGER AND OWNER WE DO HAVE?

36. By Kevin S Mesa on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Eazy E —

It’s ridiculous to say we “passed on Kaepernick.”

There is no indication Kaepernick was willing to play for under $1M like Gabbert.

Saying we passed on Kaep is as silly as saying we passed on Cutler and Romo. Those guys weren’t coming here for peanuts to be a backup QB, and there’s no reason for us to pay a ton of money to a backup QB.

If I were building a team from scratch and you gave me a choice between Kaep and Gabbert and they were both willing to play for the same salary, OK, then that’s a legitimate question. But introduce the fact that one’s willing to play for less than $1M, and the other isn’t, and now that changes the dynamic.

37. By Red Randal on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Players struggle with being 1 year OOF much less 3. Plus turning 30, learning an at least somewhat different playbook, having to fit in with the team, and the team risking even more drama if he eff’s up again. Losing credibility with players (if not many fans)– and still the Cardinals were willing to give him a shot– if he took a prove it deal, reasonable considering they had already wasted 10 mil on a player who hasn’t played for 52(!) games… If you are mad at the Cardinals organization and not at Daryl Washington… lets say just you are “worse than a Seahawks fan” in my book.

Kaepernick’s situation is complicated but had a better quarterback rating than Palmer (or Rivers, Winston etc.) last season. Also led all qb’s in rushing yards per game…

38. By JTDG on May 12, 2017 | Reply

Easy E,

Please answer these questions;

1 ) Why is every other player who took a knee employed if there is a raciest conspiracy? Truth – Eric Reed and Eli Harold were right next to Kaep yet are both employed with the niners. In fact Eric Reed got a big contract extension.

2) Since you are claiming that this is racially motivated, who are the White Supremacist on the cardinals? BA, Steve Keim or Michael Bidwill ?
    Please enlighten me.

Because if you can’t come up with the White Supremacist who is making the decisions, then you have to go with something else, right?

That something else would have to be football. Right ? Now, if you are saying BA and Keim are making bad football decisions because you think Kaep is better than Gabbert, then make your argument. I have on players. Others have.

But to say people are White Supremacist, Cardinal officials are White Supremacist, because you do not agree with a football decision, is just plain wrong.

Frankly, I could make a case for each team passing on Kaep.

The Texans chose a Black QB in the draft they believe in
    The Browns chose a Black QB in the draft they believe in.
    The Bills kept their black QB they believe in. and drafted another QB
    The Bears drafted the highest rated QB.
    The Chiefs drafted a black QB who they believe will be the future.
    The Steelers drafted their QB of the future in Josh Dobbs, a black QB
    The 49ers have a completely new offense and plan on signing their old QB in Washington in 2018. Most likely Cousins signs next year.
    The Giants drafted the highest ranked QB left
    The rams and eagles drafted their QBs last year.
    The cowboys retired Romo to go with their black QB.
    Same goes for the Panthers and the Bucs.

You mention Geno Smith to the Giants, but they drafted Davis Webb and have Eli. Geno is just there for a year.

So, I guess it comes down to the Jets. Todd Bowles, a Black head coach, decided to give his 2nd round pick another year to develop.

Meanwhile, no one traded for Romo, or picked up Cutler or Fitzpatrick, who have had pro bowl years.

White Supremacist? The facts don’t support it.

39. By Joe C. on May 12, 2017 | Reply

I don’t think Kap’s taking a knee was irrelevant. Its a combination of a drop in performance, he’s not a prototypical packet passer (so he doesn’t fit all schemes), and he’s a marketing liability. Any one of the three goes away and het probably gets signed. Seattle seems like a good fit.

40. By Vinny on May 13, 2017 | Reply

If Daryl Washington has success with another team, will the Cardinals try to bring him back as a free agent? #the saga continues

41. By faster on May 13, 2017 | Reply

@scott h , caps at the beginning? your rules, not mine.

about kap, as someone wrote: “If I were building a team from scratch and you gave me a choice between Kaep and Gabbert and they were both willing to play for the same salary, OK, then that’s a legitimate question.” thats the essence of it for the cardinals, kap would not play for 900k.
    even if palmer and stanton booth get injured, the ba offense is not to learn in one week, and kap would not look good.

that doesn`t mean that i think, kap would not fit at another team as starter. the bills, the jets, the bears, the broncos, the rams and the jaguars comes to mind.
    and i have no problems with kap kneeling, but i have problemns with his statement about not to vote in the presidential election. a lot of people did fight for our right to vote out some crooks of office, and a statement like this is at least stupid. democracy is to take responsibility, and sometimes its to chose the lesser evil.

42. By JTDG on May 13, 2017 | Reply

faster,

This is what I am getting at. You list bills, jets, bears, broncos, rams and jags.

The rams drafted Goff #1 overall last year. In year two, you have to see what you have. If he is a bust, the new coach needs to know this and draft his QB next year.

Jags have Bortles. They have finally given him a better oline and running game. It is on his shoulders this year to see if the extend and pay him big bucks.

Broncos have a 1st round pick last year and a 3rd year guy. You have to see if Lynch can step up. If he can’t you need to draft a new QB next year

The Bears doubled down on young QBs. They paid big money on a potentially good QB in Glennon and then used the #2 overall pick. They need to develop QBs, not replace them.

The new coach of the Bills is giving the talented Tyrod Taylor a chance to show he is the guy, while drafting a QB, Nathan Peterman, that fits his system.

So, it comes to the Jets. I would say the Jets have the least amount of talent in the NFL. Every Jet receiver besides Decker (who they would trade if he wasn’t injured still) are 3 years or less in the NFL. Their TEs are all young, including a pretty good draft pick. So they went with McCown to help these young guys and will take another look at their 2nd round pick QB.

So, with all these teams, it makes no sense to bring in Kaep or Cutler. If I was GM for all these team, I don’t bring in another QB.

That is my point. Where does Kap fit? Someone said Seahawks. Why? Wilson is signed to 87 million and they drafted Boykin 2 years ago. They have a good relationship. Why disrupt it for a guy who will never play? No, doesn’t make sense to me.

The Redskins could make sense, but they have a touchy QB situation as they are trying to resign Cousins and this could disrupt things.

So really, Cutler saw the writing on the wall and retired after saying he wants to play. Kaep is caught in a numbers game where he really has no where to go. Maybe someone gets hurt or really performs bad and he gets a call in training camp. But I really think the conspiracy stuff needs to be put to bed.

43. By JTDG on May 13, 2017 | Reply

As for Gabbert , Understand this;

Palmer and Stanton are #1 and #2 in 2017. Gabbert is battling Trevor Knight and Zac Dysert for the 3rd string spot.

BA is taking a look at these 3 guys to see if he has a gem in the rough. Most likely, none of these guys are answers. But they are kicking the tires and seeing.

Also, I have never been a Gabbert fan. BA has. He finally can work with him for cheap. Makes sense. If he works out in this offense, he is a steal for the future.

So, would it make sense to bring in Kaep? You could make that argument,

But two things;

As pointed out above, Gabbert is playing for less than a million. Would Kaep do that? Rumor is, last year the broncos considered trading for him, but Kaep would not take a pay cut. Money is an issue.

BA runs an offense that is run by a pocket passer, who is accurate. That is not Kaep. Accuracy is key, especially down field. Kaep has been a 59% comp passer the last two years, with a 6.7 yrds per pass. Not good

So, taking Gabbert over Kaep makes sense to BA and SK.

44. By Coach K on May 13, 2017 | Reply

KEEP AN EYE ON GABBERT FOLKS. IF HE CAN MASTER B.A.’S SYSTEM, AND GET THE KIND OF COACHING HE NEVER GOT IN JACKSONVILLE AND SAN FRAN, LOOK OUT.

I RECALL A GUY FROM IOWA WHO BOUNCED AROUND A COUPLE TEAM AND WON A SUPERBOWL, THEN ALMOST WON ONE IN ARIZONA.

A FEW YEARS EARLIER EVERYONE THOUGH WARNER WAS WASHED UP.

SO I’M JUST SAYING, WATCH AND SEE HOW GABBERT CONNECTS WITH BA AND TOM MOORE AND WHAT COMES OUT OF IT.

HE’S GOT ALL THE TOOLS. CAN HE PUT IT ALL TOGETHER AND GET TO THE NEXT LEVEL? WE SHALL SEE.

45. By Chris G. on May 13, 2017 | Reply

The fact that the names “Washington” and “Gabbert” are in the headline of this article and most of the posts are about someone named “Kaepernick”, is exactly why he is unemployed. No team wants the media attention in their locker room. The Patriots put up with Brady’s deflated balls because his talent level is high enough to make it worth all of the media attention. Kaepernick doesn’t have the talent level to make it worth the baggage that comes with him. Enough about Kaepernick already. Let’s go Cardinals!

46. By aschatte on May 14, 2017 | Reply

@Scott H …I understand your frustration on Kaepernick’s name coming up every now and then and especially now since Cards have signed a ..well less face it a below average QB in Gabbert. But Saying that Kaep is a just a very bad QB for the reasons that he is not being signed is bizarre ..looks like you didnt watch much of Kaep from 2012-2014 when we absolutely a beast of a player – 2 NFC CHampionship Appearances and 1 SB appearance is what the Cards have managed themselves in their overall history in AZ compared to Kaep who did it in a matter of 2 years…The guy has only been in the league for 5 years or so and still better than most QB’s in the market. But for AZ sake I hope Gabbert does well and I wouldnt have high expectations.

47. By clssylssy on May 14, 2017 | Reply

After reading the article on PFT (essentially what was reported on Fox news) about Carson being “kept under wraps” during the offseason and not throwing much, I am continuing to find it difficult to get very excited or hopeful for the Cards this season. I fear that Larry’s farewell tour is going to be as disappointing as the offseason as been to date and that this is going to be another humiliation.
    I like Carson Palmer and feel that he’s been one of our better QBs (we haven’t had that many good ones) however, now the team is treating him like he’s semi-retired, not having him throw “to save his arm”? Given his hesitation about returning this season, I have to wonder about his level of commitment to playing football at his age. We all know that “practice makes perfect” and from what we’ve seen, nobody on this team is perfect (even Tom Brady and Drew Brees still put in the work) which also leaves the question of how are the new rookies suppose to develop chemistry and timing with CP if HE’S merely doing the mental preparation (whatever that means)? It seems like we are missing half of the equation and having five QBs in camp is merely going to muddy the waters and dilute “the process”. So, we can assume Gabbert is going to be taking Carson’s reps which sounds ominously like Bidwill/Keim/Arians are trying to slip one by the fans and that in actuality the Cards have no real QB again.
    I know my observations aren’t popular but also know from talking to people that I’m not the only one thinking this way. IMO, BA lost a big step last season whether it was health or other circumstances and I don’t think he’s still the “the QB whisperer” he was earlier in his careeer or when he came to Arizona–he seems to lack the enthusiasm and upbeat style that made him so popular. Sure hope I’m wrong but I’ve never seen anybody win anything without putting in the effort and work consistently.

48. By Darren Urban on May 14, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: PFT

“After reading the article on PFT (based on what Darren wrote here: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/With-Palmer-In-Mind-Arians-Likes-Blaine-Gabbert/03c98efc-93b7-4b51-9dd2-e36b5ce67d60) …”

Fixed that for you.

49. By Steven Z. on May 14, 2017 | Reply

Predictions:
    1) Gabbert will make the team as the 3rd QB (due his mobility/experience);
    2) Washington will sign w/ Dallas (Jerry Jones doesn’t care about character);
    3) Zack Dysert will clear waivers and be on the practice squad;
    4) Steve Keim will sign a proven CB before camp to play opposite Peterson;
    5) Bethel will return to pro-bowl special teams form;
    6) Veldeer will be back at LT before the 4th game;
    7) Markus Golden will lead the team in sacks;
    8) The Cardinals will finally learn how to execute a screen (to Ellington/Williams);
    9) Special teams will be improved, but still not strong enough to get past the 1st round of the playoffs;
    10) Kaepernick will wind up in Seattle after Wilson is on IR;
    11) We’ll finish 9-7 (eliminated in 1st round due to special teams shortcomings);
    12) Gabbert will be our starter next year (while the rookie we draft sits)
    Go Cards…and prove me wrong! I’d love it!!!

50. By faster on May 14, 2017 | Reply

@JTDG, three points.

first, about gabbert and kap, i agree with you.

second, about the mentioned teams, lets see, who of this QBs is on the roster in two years. from goff, bortles, siemian and lynch, glennon, trubitsky and sanchez, taylor and peterman, mccouwn, petty and hackenberg i expect bortles, glennon and sanchez as backups and maybe taylor and hackenberg as starters. not more. and any comparison of this QBs with kap should go to him.

third, about conspiracies, its a bit of a hot potato, but can you compare the ownershipstructure of the NFL to the general population? and then think a minute about conspiracies.

51. By clssylssy on May 14, 2017 | Reply

Thanks Darren for taking your props. Sometimes I wonder about stuff I read there as being loose translations of what was previously reported by the llegit media in Arizona.
    As I stated previously, my observations/questions are not only my own but also things I’ve been hammered with by friends who are casual Cards supporters from other parts of the country.

52. By JTDG on May 14, 2017 | Reply

faster,

Im not saying the above QBs will be successful or are even better than Kaepernick.

All I am saying is each team believed in the guy so much, they invested a high pick to get that QB. If you do that, dont you, as an organization, have to give them a chance to develop?

I am not a Goff fan. He might be a bust. But if you spend the #1 overall pick on a QB, you have to let him have his chance.

53. By USAF Pilot on May 14, 2017 | Reply

Coach K,

Going to CAPS to aggravate faster??? LOL

54. By USAF Pilot on May 14, 2017 | Reply

clssylssy,

“practice makes perfect”

NOPE!!! PERFECT practice makes perfect.

55. By JTDG on May 14, 2017 | Reply

Aschatte wrote Kaepernick was a beast between 2012-2014.

Was he?? Is that what people remember ? Or was his team really good, especially defense.

In those 3 years, (his best years, where he was starting) his passing;

Passing yards – 2800 yards per year.
    passing TDs – 17 per year
    comp % – 60.00 total
    yds per attempt – 7.5 total

His averages would rank this year;

Passing yards – 28th
    Passing TDs – 24th
    Comp % – 29th among starting QBs

How was he a beast ? He ran the ball a lot I guess. So…..

Well, he was in the playoffs and superbowl in 2012 and 2013. His stats average;
    6 games – ave per game – 229 yards , 1 TD(7), 1 int (5) 58% comp, not terrible but beast?

But maybe all the stats are wrong. Maybe teams who have first round QBs should bench them for Kaep. Maybe he was a good team mate.
    After all, All of this is just a big conspiracy.

Maybe the NFL owners are controlled by the Russians and they hate Kaepernick. Comey had a lead and was going to expose, but Putin’s BFF, Trump, fired Comey just in time.

I’m thinking, RG3 is being black balled because he is from a military family. Has anyone looked at Goodell over Russian connections? Dang Russians.

As for the Jets, it could be as simple as, he might win too many games for the Jets and take them out of the running for Sam Darnold. #laydownforDarnald #losetowin. #ouronlyhopeisSam #suckforSam

56. By Dr. G. on May 14, 2017 | Reply

Dear Daryl Washington, ((lover of THC)),

Many forgiving fans lack the details – you did this to yourself. I wish you success in your life…as for football, don’t cheat the next team that may offer a chance.

And on yer way out, don’t let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!

57. By Scott H on May 15, 2017 | Reply

aschatte –

Well, you somehow got my point about Kaepernick, AND missed it entirely at the same time.

You point out in your post that he was a beast of a player between 2012 – 2014.

OK. So….isn’t something missing here??? Like, the last 3-5 years??

What am I missing? Doesn’t SOMETHING have to account for why such of a beast of a player hasn’t done anything since 2012 – 2014??

The Gabbert signing doesn’t do anything for me, either. But I love how the Kaepernick people are making such a fuss over that and ( somehow ) ignoring what has become of Kaepernick since 2014.

58. By Scott H on May 15, 2017 | Reply

faster –

RE: Caps, my rules, not yours

Hey, not my rules. Just basic grammar. Of course, in the age of texting, that has gone out the window.

But you seem to have your own rules, too. Like how using caps causes you to lose credibility. I’ll defer to your quote there – your rules, not mine.

BUT ( see, there I go! ) I didn’t respond to be snippy. I think your comments about Kaepernick in that last post were sensible and I very much agree with them.

But the whole thing about what I would do IF I were starting a franchise and IF Gabbert and Cap were available and IF they were willing to play for the same salary…..that is a lot of IF’s and I don’t see where the hypotheticals are getting us.

Honestly, IF I were in that scenario…..I would hope for better options!

I would have to guess that Kaepernick will be on an NFL roster before training camps start. If he is, great. If not….oh well. But at that point, he will have to earn it. If he’s good enough to earn a job, he’ll have one. If he’s not, he won’t. And if he’s not, we both know the Kaepernick people will continue to beat the drum for how he’s been black-listed and how unfair it is that so-and-so has a job but Kaepernick doesn’t.

59. By Halagator on May 15, 2017 | Reply

My Thoughts…

JTDG as always well said, I have not always agreed with your opinions, but I agree with your statements this go around.

I believe that Cardinals extended the olive branch to DWash by saying play for 1 year league minimum with incentives. A prove it deal. He chose to decline the offer and his now a FA. A lot of the comments from people saying the Cardinals are stupid for releasing him is unjustified. This is a player who has been in trouble with the league and with the law. I don’t know many other employers that would keep you around in their organization either. The fact that the Cardinals met with him at all was a show of class and respect that he was still an employee. Both parties made their decisions so its time for everyone to let go of the subject. We just drafted a new LB, who I think will do just fine.

As for the Kap situation, as I have stated before he is just not a great QB. He doesn’t fit in the Cardinals system. He success came with a very strong 49er team. Their defense was top 10 and they had a monster O-line and Frank Gore at running back. Kap ran the read option to perfection with that good O-line and Gore running the ball. The read option was a fad as NFL defenses eventually figured out how to defend it. Kap was not asked to carry the team because the team around him was so strong, they basically said just go be athletic. So when the mass exodus of talent left the 49ers they became a bad team, thrusting their QB into the spotlight. He went form being a complimentary piece on the team to having to lead the team. He is not that type of QB to do that. The questions of him being a terrible leader and locker room guy surfaced, teams exploited his weaknesses at QB and then he got benched.

Maybe he will prove everyone wrong if he gets another job, but at this point if he doesn’t sign a team friendly deal to be a back up the only way he gets signed is a major injury to a starting QB when that team is in desperate need of a guy at that position.

I think it is also time to let this debate go. We have 1 legit Pro Bowl QB in Palmer and 4 back up QB’s who need to battle it out to prove they can succeed in the NFL going forward.

I like the direction the Cards have taken this offseason and think we will be alright this season. Back to the playoffs!

60. By JTDG on May 15, 2017 | Reply

Haligator,

Agree,

I think two QBs for 2017 are decided.
    It comes down to that 3rd guy.

I read from Darren , I believe, that BA loved when Gabbert was coming out of college, he grasped the offensive concepts pretty easy. That is huge.

I love Knight . He is so inaccurate and I am not sure that can be coached. He did have a bad shoulder though.

I want him to switch positions. He is tough, big, fast. I could see him as a back up receiver and special teams guy or better yet, a safety. He is not afraid of contact.

No matter what, I think the future QB is in the 2018 draft.