Bucannon news means crash course for Reddick

Posted by Darren Urban on May 16, 2017 – 4:15 pm

So the hope is that Deone Bucannon will be back for the beginning of the regular season, after the news that the linebacker recently had ankle surgery to repair the injury he had hoped rehab would solve. That means for the offseason — and into training camp, if not all of training camp — it’ll be No. 1 draft pick Haason Reddick who will step into the breach.

That’s fine — ultimately, Reddick figures to spend more time at inside linebacker than outside, and inside is where he was slated to spend the offseason anyway. Bruce Arians said Tuesday the Cardinals get that Reddick already knows how to rush the passer. Now it’s about learning the other position. But this also will make the latter stages of training camp and the beginning of the regular season very interesting. The inside linebacker corps becomes thinner now, much different than just a week ago when Bucannon was in the fold, Reddick could fill in and — at least briefly — there was a chance Daryl Washington might be in the mix. The Washington return was a non-starter, though, and now Bucannon is sidelined. If Bucannon comes back early in the season, it’s easy to forget it ever happened — does anyone remember that left guard Mike Iupati missed the first three games of the 2015 season because of a knee injury, only to return to Pro Bowl status in a 13-3 season?

The kind of guy Bucannon is, he’ll push hard to return quickly. I could see him being the kind of guy who may have to be told to take it easy and let the healing take place. In the meantime, though, Reddick is on deck.

Tags: ,

25 Responses to “Bucannon news means crash course for Reddick”

1. By Charley Shurtz on May 16, 2017 | Reply

why to we keep hearing that name as if some terrible night mare keeps reoccurring, Daryl Washington, can we stop brining it up,

2. By Jacob Hewitt on May 16, 2017 | Reply

If the Arizona Cardinals were to release a QB who would it be Knight or Gabbert who do u think fits better as an Arizona cardinal? And idk if u watch them practice who would u keep if u were coaching the cardinals? I mean the cardinals have a 90 man roster they will prob throw out gabbert or knight before it’s all said and done.

3. By creditcard on May 16, 2017 | Reply

I’m not a rocket scientist, but if Bucannon’s injury occurred in game 12 or 13, why now determine that a surgery is required. I would guess, Bucannon and the medical staff could determine if rehab was working or not working by the end of January — at the latest. So why wait an additional 3 1/2 months to then make the surgical decision.

Seems the timing is at best odd — I hate to say this, but each player is a commodity of the organization, if the organization is not 100% certain of the outcome, I would of thought they (the Cards) would have demanded a surgery at the beginning of the year.

I’m willing to guess, that the surgery or no surgery decision was done in part by Bucannon. Most players do not want to be under the knife, and they all feel they can heal like new, with proper rehab. You would think inside a player’s contract there is some article and paragraph stating the team has the final decision when it comes to medical treatment.

4. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2017 | Reply

credit —

RE: Bucannon

“Demanded?” Can’t demand anything. Can’t demand surgery. The player can get advice, but it’s always the player’s decision.

5. By NJAzCardsFan on May 16, 2017 | Reply

Personally, I think Gabbert will end up dsiplacing Stanton for the #2 spot. One of the UFA’s will end 3rd and the other on the PS. Gabbert has a scrambling/rushing capability which Stanton and Plamer lack. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Darren- If DWash came back (because he has no offers)and offers to play for the minimum would the Cards FO give a chance or did he burn the bridges???
    Thanks as always!

6. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2017 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Washington

DWash isn’t coming back.

7. By creditcard on May 16, 2017 | Reply

One of last year’s injuries that didn’t get much press, but had a profound impact on the team, was Fau. He played great special teams, and was very serviceable as a back-up. What is the condition of his recovery?

Also, I know ILB and OLB are two different worlds — but hasn’t some of the OLBers play a pinch of ILB last year — or was that just a matter of defensive alignment? I think Jones played ILB a pinch in Pittsburgh, and Martin appears to be rotting on the vine for any OLB play.

8. By jkiest on May 16, 2017 | Reply

Disappointed in the cards,they brung in Blain freaking gabert are you f+×÷€£¥ kidding me you know why the Seahawks won a championship before us because they make smart football moves like they are about to bring 8n either kapernick or rg3,most likely kaep because of his skills and resume…I’ve been watching the cards and suns since birth I’m an arizona native from phx,cards don’t wanna win bad enough look at the pats just won the superbowl and still went out desperately like they didn’t make the playoffs. ….we will be lucky to make playoffs how to you go 11-5 and fall of the grid redicoulous. And it all stems from lousy acquisitions Blain freaking gabbert,not jay cutler rg3 kaep really? Make football decisions and get the best football player available man its common sense! Worried about protest ..but don’t the nfl have zero tolerance for domestic violence..we can talk about that..but we can’t talk about black men being exterminated by the hands of police officers…lol I’m sorry I like to think I’m a fair balanced man for all people forget color….but something is really wrong with this,when people are getting in trouble drugs,violence etc but when a man who never got in trouble or broke the law is being treated so unfairly you got to ask yourself, how do these nfl guys really feel about us as long as you play the game it’s ok but when you stand up for what’s right, they blackball you…black lives matter is all wrong…it should be black lives don’t matter in america. ..until we see otherwise. ..I’ll stand for the flag when I’m treated like every other American!

9. By Don on May 16, 2017 | Reply

As long as Deon can come back 100% this could be a good thing giving Reddick twice the reps he would have gotten.

10. By joe holst on May 17, 2017 | Reply

Kind of a miss from the organization to not get this taken care of immediately after the season.

11. By Scott H on May 17, 2017 | Reply

And as if on cue, there is an injury that affects the linebacker position. Doesn’t it almost seem like fate is trying to help Daryl Washington here??? Can’t help but think about it. The Cardinals pretty quickly pass on him and then, BANG – an injury that affects the Cardinals at that position.

If nothing else, it does add to the drama that COULD play out with the Daryl Washington story down the road.

In the meantime, it brings Reddick to the forefront. OK. Not sure if that is ideal or not but it ain’t like we have a choice. More than anything else, it just seems to call into question why Bucannon’s injury wasn’t managed better than it was.

Bottom line is that regardless of how Reddick does, Bucannon’s absence is a blow to this defense and we need him back ASAP. AND like any player coming back from injury / surgery / time away, just how much of Deone Bucannin will REALLY be there when he does get back?? We’ve seen how it goes when a player like the Honey Badger is back on the field but….isn’t really giving you what you expect because he’s limited.

12. By carlsonchemist on May 17, 2017 | Reply

As I listened to Haason Reddick interview on Press Pass, I put myself in his shoes and thought how uncomfortable it would be to hold such an interview, since he’s going to be expected to cover for Buchannon as he recovers from surgery and particularly in light of the recent D. Washington fiasco? Do you think that management “coaches” him at all for these interviews so that he doesn’t accidentally say something wrong or unintentionally create more drama as a result? I can’t believe that they’d leave him out on a limb to decipher himself what he should and should not say. What are your thoughts?

13. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2017 | Reply

Carlson —

RE: Reddick

It would not surprise me if he got a heads-up — remember, the Bucannon news, I don’t think, wasn’t planned to be out there. So maybe someone mentioned something. But these guys are also in the NFL now. It comes with the job handling such things.

14. By JTDG on May 17, 2017 | Reply

Do you think Bucannon waiting had anything to do with rumors of DWash coming back? Let’s face it, if Washington doesn’t get suspended, Bucannon is battling Jefferson for time at SS last couple years. Funny, he gets surgery right after DWash is released.

I would imagine that Reddick is to replace Dansby at some point and pair him with Bucannon at ILB. So the Reddick threat wasn’t as great.

Any truth to it?

15. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Buc surgery/DWash

From what I can gather, totally unrelated.

16. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on May 17, 2017 | Reply

Wondering the substitution rotation. Maybe sub packages with 3-4 safeties?

17. By hminus on May 17, 2017 | Reply

jklest…you are absolutely correct,i have a great deal more respect for Pete Carrol & the Seahawks now since they were,willing to give Kaepernick a FAIR consideration.instead of participating in this OBVIOUS blackball routine/cold shoulder the league is giving CK…in the last 16 years in America the WORST thing you can be known as is being an “ACTIVIST”…

18. By Richard S on May 17, 2017 | Reply

I think Gabbert displaced Kap as the niner QB. I don’t think that would’ve happened if Kap were better. Saying a QB is being picked because of race is just as racist as the accusation and I’m a liberal whose favorite MU QB of all time was not white, Phil Bradley.

19. By Richard S on May 17, 2017 | Reply

I’m also a white guy who was suspended from a substitute teaching job for saying and I quote to a white girl “You can go to the bathroom after the black girl gets back.” Why didn’t I say when Sheila gets back? Because I relieved the teacher in the garden and the garden had no seating chart. That to me was unreal. Reverse racism.

20. By Scott H on May 17, 2017 | Reply

jkiest –

RE: You know why the Seahawks won a championship before us?

Well, yes, I do. Because they built a world class defense through the draft, then they got it right with Russell Wilson.

Anything else? I mean, we all kinda knew that already.

Maybe a better question is why are you trying to make a ridiculous connection between the Seahawks winning a SB three seasons ago and the mere possibility that they may consider Kaepernick for a back-up QB role this year? If you can make THAT make sense, I’ll buy a Kaepernick jersey tomorrow. Or, when he’s actually playing for a team that I can buy a jersey for.

And where RGIII is concerned….he was with the Browns last year and the Browns haven’t been known for making smart football moves for several decades now. Didn’t work out too well for the Browns, did it? Oh, but when the Seahawks take a look, suddenly RGIII is a smart football move, right? No. It really doesn’t work that way.

Here’s what you’re missing – you’re missing the fact that regardless of the teams they play for, Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin have the same problem – themselves. THEY are their own problem, and THAT is why the SAME THING happens wherever they go. They have both been a personality problem for teams they have played for, and neither one of them is a very good QB.

Sorry to say it but your own words make it clear – you do not allow yourself to see the real problems these guys have because you see them as black and black people can’t get fair treatment in America.

If that is true, then how do you explain Jeff George? Remember him? Probably one of THE most physically gifted and skilled human beings to ever play the QB position. But look at the disaster his career was. Know what his problem was? He had a personality problem that blew it up everywhere he went. After it became apparent what the problem REALLY was with him, teams stopped trying and he just faded away. Yet, years after he last played, Jeff George was still telling people he didn’t understand why he didn’t have a job in the NFL. He NEVER got it. He never understood that HE was the problem.

But Jeff George wasn’t black. So, how do you explain that?

I think I’m a fair and balanced person, too. And I don’t think Kaepernick has been black-balled. I think he’s just not a very good QB. Neither is RGIII. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than that.

As JTDG has pointed out several times, several other players knelt in protest last year, too. And they still have their jobs. So…..Kaepernick being “black-balled” because he did it just doesn’t hold water.

21. By dynosoar on May 17, 2017 | Reply

It took me a while and some research, I’m pleased with the draft of Reddick. I hope he makes an impact (I know, bad pun intended.) It looks as if he can start right away witch is something that doesn’t happen too often with rookies on this team. Not many teams have that luxury to sit future starters.

22. By clssylssy on May 18, 2017 | Reply

No…a team cannot DEMAND that a player have surgery however, they can let them know that their job/roster spot is not guaranteed, and it would behoove them to be 100% healthy and able to compete for that spot when OTAs rolled around. This is a competitive business and is seasonal so it’s up to the player to be healthy and make the best decisions possible to insure his ability to show up 100% whatever that may take in the offseason. Players have to make these decisions and doctors, trainers, etc. can only advise and give their professional opinion; it’s up to the individual to decide what will be best for him. However, it IS the franchise’s responsibility to it’s stockholders (fans) to put the best product out and make decisions that will work to that end. Staying on top of a player’s medical situation, monitoring injuries that occurred on the job and rehab progress are the responsibility of a manager.
    I have to wonder if Deone really grasps the fact that he is expendable and the organization is always looking for ways they can help their bottom line by finding a cheaper replacement ? We have all seen how long it’s taken for Justin Bethel to come back from his foot surgery, how the HB has struggled, and so, again I question the wisdom of those doing the “managing”.

23. By Scott H on May 18, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

Yeah, I’m a little irked about how this whole thing with Bucannon is playing out. I would not blame a player for not wanting to have surgery IF rehab alone is a viable option.

But here is what I do question – seeing as he went on IR approximately 6 months ago at this point….I guess I just don’t understand how you don’t know sooner than THIS that it’s not working, that it’s not getting you where you need to be. This is killin’ me right now. His having the surgery in mid-May seems to put him right on the fence between being ready for the opener or not. So….if he’d had the surgery in late March or even mid-April, he is probably a much better bet to be ready come Week 1. Right? Well, damn, shouldn’t you have realized by that point that the rehab thing just wasn’t getting it done?????

I know no one will say it, but….I gotta wonder if there are some within the organization, players and / or coaches, who are thinking the same thing and might be a little irked themselves about how this was done. Honestly, I couldn’t blame them if they were.

24. By clssylssy on May 23, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    IMO, this “oversight” by Keim (yes, this does fall under the purvue of Management), as well as our failurue to address identified needs in the draft such as Corner and WR, should earn Keim a top spot on the “accountability board”. I coontinue to be skeptical of the front office’s commitment to the win this season,and desperately want this team to send Fitz out on a high note. We are going to have injuries as always but to put the team in such a position of vulnerability early on is kinda sandbagging any efforts before we’re pit pf tje gate! It seems Mr Bidwill is use to Cardinal fans settling for an underachieving franchise as long as there are seats in the stands. We have accuulated some really good raw talent but that can be said for last season too–we saw how that worked out with no accountability at the top. There seems to be some magical thinking at play or maybe a “suck for Luck” type strategy (we saw where that got the Colts) to guarantee procurement of our franchise QB next season (and thereby cementing BA/Keim’s legecy/job security).I personally would rather have Scot McCloughan for a GM !
    Suffice it to say, you are not alone in your “irkdom”!

25. By clssylssy on May 23, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    meant to say “out of the gate” (excuse my poor vision & difficulty reading tiny type)!