Hogan, rookies wary of visitors

Posted by Darren Urban on June 7, 2017 – 1:18 pm

Inside the Cardinals’ Tempe facility, there is a small overflow locker room next to the main locker room. It’s reason for existence is simple — with 90-man rosters, it’s impossible to house every player in the main room. It’s the spot in the offseason where all the undrafted rookies and a couple of the lower-round drafted players reside.

There isn’t a player in there who isn’t hyper-sensitive about their NFL future. Recently, someone from the front office came in to give a couple of guys the tap on the shoulder, and they were cut. The moment made a deep impression.

“Now anybody (new) who comes into that locker room, it’s like, ‘Oh man,’ ” rookie wideout Krishawn Hogan said.

So Wednesday, minicamp practice had ended. A man walked in to the room wearing dress pants and a collared Cardinals shirt.

“He came up behind me and said, ‘Hey, as soon as you’re dressed,’ ” Hogan said. For a handful of guys in the room, time froze. It got quiet. “I’m like, ‘Oh man,’ ” Hogan recounted.

The moment passed quickly. Turned out the visitor was director of media relations Chris Melvin, and he just wanted to tell Hogan he was wanted for an interview. (Media access includes the main locker room, but not the overflow version.) Hogan came out to talk to one of the local TV stations, and his heart could start again.

There was extra reason for Hogan to be wary Wednesday, having false started a couple of times in practice. Not only did he hear it from coach Bruce Arians but Arians noted it to the media afterward. “If he can count, he’s got a chance,” Arians quipped about Hogan’s opportunity to make the roster. It speaks to the tenuous nature of many of these players, even when rosters are so big. There is a vigilant eye always on the locker room door.

“I know I had some good plays out there today, but I had some plays I definitely wish I could take back,” Hogan said. “When (Melvin) came up behind me, I was just like, ‘Please, give me tomorrow.’ ”

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Hogan, rookies wary of visitors”

1. By Scott H on Jun 7, 2017 | Reply

Well, so much for Ellington being converted to a WR….that didn’t last long. Really, I didn’t see that working out anyway. If he’s gonna be here, he seems best suited for a role in the backfield. But….why does it just feel like maybe they don’t see Ellington suiting their needs ANYWHERE???

Do we still have CJ’s number handy?

2. By thegreatgabbert on Jun 7, 2017 | Reply

Good luck Kris. Team has some great rookie personalities at least.

3. By Coach K on Jun 7, 2017 | Reply

I think we need to bring CJ back. The guy can still hit the hole and break long runs. But more important, he is excellent at pass blocking for Palmer. I say bring back CJ and consider moving Ellington if the big boy impresses.

4. By Scott H on Jun 7, 2017 | Reply

And right on cue, more hamstring issues for Smoky. Sigh….these recurring, nagging injuries to our key players are getting on my nerves!

Shoot, maybe we WILL end up being an ideal spot for Jeremy Maclin! If an injury concern looks like it is going to significantly limit ANY of our top 4 WR’s, we are suddenly a lot thinner there than we can afford to be.

BTW, Eric Decker is also out there…..just sayin.

5. By shane on Jun 7, 2017 | Reply

i keep seeing this “bring cj back” comments .. he went his whole career basically with out getting hurt now 2 years in a row hes been on I.R that only tells u one thing, hes getting old.. he was good for 2015 but that ship has sailed. People for some reason forget about 6-3 230 pound E. Penny who was running over and through people last preseason. TBH hes exactly what the cards need as a compliment to David J. in order for the cards to be successful they need to be more physical .. the cards have been pushed around on O the last 3 years with to many small backs and weak Olines . Penny can be that bell cow second back that gives this team a hard nose mentality that can take them far this year .

6. By steve on Jun 7, 2017 | Reply

Darren: Speaking of WR’s, NFL.com mentioned Jeremy Maclin being a real good fit for the Cards and another WR weapon for Palmer if he came here. Despite our surplus of WR’s, could you see Keim and B.A showing interest in Maclin?

7. By Darren Urban on Jun 8, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Maclin

I do not.

8. By faster on Jun 7, 2017 | Reply

let cj enjoy his preseason away from otas, he`s expierenced enough. and if he wants to sign for us, he will..

and about kap, i don`t want to jinx a team, but there are 6 teams with a serious backup, the pats, the falcons, our team, the eagles, the bengals and the raiders.
    and 6 teams who play for the first pick in the next draft, the jets, the biills, the bears, the 49ers, the rams and the browns.
    all other 20 teams are a injured starting qb away from desperate cries for kap and a lot of discussions.

enjoy the waiting ….

9. By clssylssy on Jun 8, 2017 | Reply

Well, that didn’t take long. Seems we aren’t as strong in some critical areas as advertised but better that weaknesses be exposed sooner than later. As for Macklin ending up here, that was purely wishful thinking on my part; we would never pay what I;m sure he will get, but Eric Decker is something to think about…probably also not willing to work for league minimum. As I have repeatedly said, we need a big bodied receiver at the #2 who will be physical and possess some “fear factor” in his game. Good to hear that Keim is considering adding some more vets–our offense is pretty thin.
    With regardd to CJ, I’m really, really hoping we’ll bring him back. What some fans don’t understand is that the time he spent on IR the past two seasons was largely due to the rules since the CBA, he was healthy enough to come back but the rules dictate the terms of their return. Last season we could bring back one player and the defense was deemed to be more in need so no return for CJ. His time on IR had nothing to do with his age or abilities! He is the most tenacious RB in the room as well as an excellent on field mentor/coach. For a smaller guy, he’s a tazmanian devil and amazing pass blocker for Palmer. Nobody in that room has his football IQ and while I like Penney, experience is always the best teacher–big difference between numbers on a page and real time playing.
    BAs recent comments about our rookies not being able to “count to three” or learn faster, made me wonder if he’s forgotten how long it took some of our veterns to learn his playbook, and these were guys with some football IQ at the professional level with experience!
    Regarding Scott’s thought of Bowles returning to Arizona, that would be awesome. The Jets Organization is a dumpster fire and Mr. Bowles deserves better. Having a defensive minded HC might be just what is needed to move this team to the next level and seems to be the way the current in the NFL is running. .
    It’s still early and there is some time before camp begins , and while some of this early stuff is not critical for veterans, the more time the team has to spend as a cohesive unit, the better our chances are of prevailing.

10. By Scott H on Jun 8, 2017 | Reply

Um…I have not said anything about Bowles coming back to Arizona….someone else did make a comment about that recently but it wasn’t me.

11. By clssylssy on Jun 8, 2017 | Reply

Scott..
    Sorry, my bad . I do think it would make sense & provide a certain level of continuity but w a slightly different focus maybe.
    I’m also a big fan of Todd Haley but that conversation is still down the road a bit!

12. By Scott H on Jun 9, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

No problem. I loved Bowles. But I don’t see him returning here. Not any time soon, anyway. Hey. let’s remember that for the moment, Bowles is still a head coach! There is NO WAY the Jets dismal season last year is on him. NO WAY. They hung their hat on Fitzpatrick and he he led them straight down the toilet. But, really, was Geno Smith a better option? They are just kinda screwed at QB right now, and….hence, they are nowhere, hence, the purging of players en route to a full-scale rebuild. But that is not Bowles’ fault. I don’t envy him for the job he has in front of him right now. But I hope the Jets will be fair and stick with him. I want to see him do well.

13. By Scott H on Jun 11, 2017 | Reply

faster –

Respectfully, I think your view of the “serious” back-up QB’s league wide might be a little short-sighted. Though I AM glad you included my man Stanton on your short list! What I’m saying is this – many of the teams you so easily dis-count may have a higher opinion of their back-up QB’s than you do, and those opinions are probably based on things that would not be known to you and I. And if that is the case, then I think it provides at least some of the explanation as to why Cap is still un-employed.

Respectfully, I think it also adds some support to what I’ve been saying all along – which is that I just don’t think he’s a very good NFL QB.

You are absolutely right in your assessment that there just aren’t enough good QB’s to go around. Most teams in the NFL don’t even have a legit STARTING QB that is capable of getting them a winning record, never mind the back-up’s. And because that is true, you just can’t avoid concluding that there are clearly serious doubts about Cap around the league.

And it has nothing to do with his protesting. It really doesn’t. It has to do with football.

Hey, the Seahawks just took a good look at Cap and they passed. And let’s face it – the Seahawks are NOT a dumb organization. To the ( unfortunate ) contrary, they are one of the smartest over the past decade or so. So, if this Austin kid they went with instead is a guy who you would say has no business being thought of as a better option at QB, than Cap…..then why did they roll with him instead?

14. By clssylssy on Jun 11, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    I haven’t forgotten that Bowles is a HC but look where he is? The Jets Organization is gutting the whole show and there was even talk he could get fired after last season–that job has no future, HC or not! I was just suggesting that, when the time comes, it would be good to get somebody familiar with our organization and knows the lay of the land in Arizona. We might be able to throw him a lifeline by the time his current ship gives it’s final death rattle! On the other hand, Haley knows his x’s and o’s and helped get us to a SB, and has a proven record working within the Steeler/Cardinal philosophy–he’s young and knows how to work with players.

15. By Scott H on Jun 12, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

RE: Bowles

Yes, he is currently consigned to hell as a HC for the Jets. I think he walked into a different situation there a very short time ago and it has just gone straight down the toilet. By NO fault of his.

Looking to the future, I have wondered about this….we know BA loves Bowles and is fiercely loyal to the guys he likes. We also know that at his age, BA is not gonna coach forever. So, I wonder if, as he is on his way out ( hopefully, it will be on his terms and not a firing ), BA might recommend Bowles as the guy who should take his place.

I could see that. Then again, there may be others on the coaching staff that were here all along that may become strong candidates by then.

All that said, I hope BA is here for the next 10 years! I just love the guy.

2. Jun 8, 2017: The legend of Reddick, Mathieu and the brace, Ellington back to RB and more FEATURED NEWS ARTICLE | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog