Peterson, David Johnson are top 20

Posted by Darren Urban on June 19, 2017 – 6:58 pm

The NFL Network’s top 100 list is coming to a close, and the Cardinals don’t figure to have anyone in the top 10. But they did have a couple players land in the top 20 Monday night.

Patrick Peterson went 6-for-6 in his career on the list, landing at 19th overall — right around where he has been the past couple of seasons. His ranks, going backwards in time, previously were No. 18, No. 19, No. 22, No. 33 and No. 55. During the season, Peterson had three interceptions, also went 6-for-6 in Pro Bowls during his career, and was again considered one of the best (if not the best) “traveling” cover guys in the league — in other words, a cornerback who follows around the opposition’s top receiver.

Then there was David Johnson, who in his second year, debuted on the top 100 list at No. 12. Like Peterson, a high ranking was a no-brainer for Johnson. Here’s a guy who likely would have been in the MVP talk if the Cardinals hadn’t slumped record-wise, and who would have been the first NFL player to have 100 scrimmage yards in every game of a season had he not suffered his scary (but ultimately, not devastating) knee injury early in the season finale. Johnson had 1,279 rushing yards, 80 catches for 879 yards and 20 total touchdowns. He led the NFL with 2,118 yards from scrimmage.

Linebacker Chandler Jones was No. 85 on the list, while wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald was No. 45 as the only other two Cardinals to appear.

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “Peterson, David Johnson are top 20”

1. By steve on Jun 19, 2017 | Reply

Darren: Any opinion on who the Suns should draft with the 4rth pick? I like De’Aaron Fox or Lonzo Ball.

2. By Darren Urban on Jun 19, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Suns

Nothing strong. If you are taking either one of those guys, you’re looking to move Bledsoe, right?

3. By clssylssy on Jun 20, 2017 | Reply

wOW…LOL…”Here’s a guy who likely would have been in the MVP talk if the Cardinals hadn’t slumped record-wise”…kinda sounds like most of Fitz’s career so maybe David should look at the handwriting on the wall ,OR Keim needs to do what’s necessary to put us in that next level of being in the conversation for a SB (and keeping us there). Young players want to play for teams who are winners and can :A) get them the big payday, B)win a SB ring…usually the money if what drives them and the Cards come up wanting in both areas (except for the cream at the top)
    It’s great to have these two young talents but what happens if they get hurt? We don’t have the depth in either the RB room or with the Corners to provide any kind of real backup or alternative.. We have a bunch of young guys in the RB room with no experience or resume as proven players. I’m excited to see Elijhaa Penny
    develop as he has the skills AND physicality to withstand the beating and be a playmaker .Hopefully Keim will add CJ who could not only help mentor these other young players but provide some relief for David in the interim.
    The Cornerback room is incomplete and filled with a series of question marks. But then again so is the receiver room after Fitz. We are banking on the sick and wounded returning to their previous form several years back, and, in reality it doesn’t usually happen that way, individuals slow with age and inactivity. I keep telling myself that Keim will eventually sign another Corner during camp, when their price has come down and we can get them on the cheap.
    As for our 0-line…LOL, in the twenty some years I’ve been a Cards fan we’ve never had a strong 0-line that I can remember and it really surprises me that with Keim being a former lineman, he hasn’t done a better job fixing this problem. Perhaps we wouldn’t have had the revolving door of QBs if we had a better 0-line, and while I was very excited about Evan Boehm’s potential (he’s very smart)as a Center, he still has no real NFL experience and so is a work in progress. I too would have liked to see us sign Alex Mack. In the 4 years(?) Keim’s been here, it seems he made overtures initially, but other needs have pushed this to the rear not to be further followed up on.
    Usually when I makes these suggestions the issue of Cap comes fast as an excuse, so perhaps we need to attack our problems by infusing our coaching staff with some proven winners as consultants, like other teams have done. I’ve never been a fan of John Elway but have to respect the job he did by bringing in Wade Phillips to make Denver’s defense a SB winner.

4. By Scott H on Jun 20, 2017 | Reply

Wow….quite a debut for DJ, landing at #12 in his 2nd year. Man, that’s awesome.

Good for PP, too.

Still scratching my head over how Fitz dropped from the 20’s to the 40’s after he led the league in catches. But….whatever.

Hoping to see Honey Badger have a season that puts him back on the list next year!

5. By D on Jun 20, 2017 | Reply

Got to love filler part of the offseason…seems about right for DJ and PP…but C Jones should be higher…has 47 sacks in 5 years..

Hopefully the Cards can Honor S. Doan during a Home game this upcoming year…22 years, wow…I remember when he was young playing along side Roenick and Tkachuck …what a Class Player….

6. By Jonathan on Jun 20, 2017 | Reply

Are we allowed to count Calais with the Cards since the list covers last year?

7. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2017 | Reply

Jonathan —

RE: Campbell

That’s all about personal preference.

8. By Scott H on Jun 20, 2017 | Reply

Here I go again, making too much out of this silly Top 100 list, but….hey, gotta be true to yourself. Is there anything more ridiculous than DAK PRESCOTT making the list at #14 after his rookie year??? Puh-leeeeze. C’mon, the kid had a very good season but he wasn’t THAT good. He wasn’t the 14th best player in the NFL….was he????

Chiming in on a question from above…..yeah, you pretty much have to count Campbell as a Cardinal on the list this year. Every down he has ever played, he had played for the Cardinals.

9. By clssylssy on Jun 20, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    Remember, this was a listed voted on by the other players so, I guess they must think Dak Prescott is a very amazing talent. That we had two players in the top twenty, was pretty impressive. This is a youth driven league so it doesn’t surprise me that some of the older players got pushed off. With the emphasis on youth, I was proud that Fitz cracked the top fifty (although we know he is better and more of a complete player). It is what it is.

10. By chris on Jun 20, 2017 | Reply

NFL players watch ESPN too. So when you see Cowboys this and Cowboys that it has an effect. I have family back East that are football junkies and they know zero about the Cards. You have to have a DJ type year to get noticed. That is why that the teams like the Cowboys can have a year at 8-8 and have 5 guys in the top 100 and 10 guys go to the Probowl. It is hard to get TV time West of the Mississippi unless you are Dallas or winning. Why do you think Dallas is in the NFC East! It is not history cause know team in this league has more history than the Cards. It is fan base pull, ratings, crappy East coast politics

11. By Scott H on Jun 21, 2017 | Reply

chris –

Yeah, it is a Cowboys thing, to some extent….which makes me sick. But that is how it goes. They are not America’s Team like they used to be but you know the networks still play to them. The Cowboys have had some down years and I think the networks have been frustrated by that. Now that it looks like they might be on the up-swing again, everybody ( media. networks ) wants to get back on board.

Hey, I like Precott, I think he’s an exciting player. I have no reason to route against him. BUT when I see him land at #14 in the Top 100 list after ONE season…..yeah, it kinda makes me feel like I wish regression upon him – just to piss off these people who come crawling out of the woodwork when the Cowboys are winning some games.

That said, though…..if Prescott does pick up where he left off….and with Elliot in place…..they DO look like they really are on the way back.

12. By Rashid Coleman on Jun 22, 2017 | Reply

Scott–

I am pretty sure the reason Dak was voted so highly by his peers is because he played like one of the best QB’s in the league last season. Which this list is based off of. He had a 5:1 TD/INT ratio, which is ridiculous. Which means he was making good decisions… Was quite accurate, which can be seen in his 68.7 completion percentage. Threw for over 3,600 yards and ran for another 282. The kid had 23 passing TD’s and 6 rushing TD’s… He was dynamic.

Compare him to Big Ben, who is clearly one of the best QB’s in the league when healthy. Stat line… 3,819 yrds / 64.4% completions / 29 TD’s / 13 INT’s Top 100 ranking #22

So Dak accounted for more yards when factoring in his rushing yards. Same amount of total TD’s. Had a higher completion percentage passing. Threw NINE less interceptions, and had actually had a higher ypc average (surprised me honestly) I dont have a problem with the cowboys or anything like that so I see him for what he is… A damn good football player.

With that being said… I CANNOT believe they didn’t have Carson Palmer on there… He threw for 4,200+ yards with a suspect O-line and a MASH unit for WR’s. He had 187 completions to a 2nd year RB and a WR in his 13th season… That’s insane…

13. By CardsNation on Jun 22, 2017 | Reply

Bell vs. Johnson is debatable. I don’t see how Elliot is in front of Johnson.

14. By Scott H on Jun 22, 2017 | Reply

Rashid –

Good clarity on that….maybe I look at the wrong things sometimes. I think a 14 spot was still a bit of an over-reaction. This season will be telling for him. Is he going to go the Derek Carr route ( continued improvement ) or the RGIII or even the Blake Bortles route ( notable regression )? Definitely one of THE players to watch this year. And because he’s a Cowboy….lord knows, we will.

But one thing I will not do at this point is even put him in the same sentence as Big Ben. No way. Regardless of any stats you could put on the table right now, after one season, I won’t entertain a comparison to a guy who has won 2 SB’s and is probably a future HOF’er. THAT is too much for me!

Gotta say, I can’t really be surprised by Palmer not making the list. He just wasn’t good enough. Heck, I spent the first half of the season wondering what was wrong with him. He did play better over the 2nd half but was not good enough, overall.

15. By Rick on Jun 22, 2017 | Reply

I think Carson Palmer should be some where in the top 100. He is better than the rookie quarterbacks that are there.

16. By chris on Jun 23, 2017 | Reply

Rashid

Well it must be nice to not hate Dallas. I am sure you hate the Hawks or if you were a Cards fan before 2008 you might even hate the 49ers. But for those of us that go a little bit farther back and had to watch the Cards/Cowboys games twice a season it is hard to get over it and not want to give the middle finger to all and anything Dallas. I think the Cards went 1 -19 over a ten year period. OR the fact Jerry takes credit for the Cards stadium being built OR just having to see the Cowboys fans own our home games.

We all know Dak is great. middle finger

17. By Scott H on Jun 25, 2017 | Reply

chris –

Just to chime in on that….I hear ya. But at the same time, I gotta say, I find it hard to muster up a lot of hatred for the Cowboys right now. Why? Well, geez, when were they last relevant??? They have had no post-season success to speak of in over a decade. Yeah, the networks are always trying to ram them down your throat, but….that just makes me hate the NETWORKS for their mindless tactics.

Jerry Jones is a first rate jack ass. No doubt. HIM, I can hate! But beyond that….Dez Bryant can be a bit of a jack ass sometimes, but he’s not Michael Irvin. Jason Witten is one of THE most likable guys in the NFL over the past decade, right up there with Fitz.

They were easy to hate when they were SO good, and SO un-beatable, and were crushing everyone, and guys like Jimmy Johnson and Michael Irvin were faces of that seemingly un-stoppable machine. But, heck, even then, guys like Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman were hard to dis-like.

And, just for me, at least, that 20-7 BEAT DOWN we dealt them in the 1998 playoffs – in Dallas – really did make up for those years of them just totally using the Cardinals as a doormat 2X every year. That was SWEET, man. And, really….have we even heard from the Cowboys since THEN????