Post-season cancer surgery for Arians

Posted by Darren Urban on July 11, 2017 – 12:30 pm

Bruce Arians had a rough year health-wise in 2016. There was a scare in San Diego in the preseason (Arians had diverticulitis), and then another hospital check after “discomfort” in late November. Now, in his new book released today called “The Quarterback Whisperer,” Arians acknowledges there was third health concern that had to be taken care of after the season.

Arians writes that he was out to dinner with his wife, Chris, in December when he got a call from his doctor. Arians had just been to the doctor to get a hernia checked, and his ultrasound revealed a small spot on his kidney — renal cell carcinoma. Amazingly, Arians coached the remainder of the season before having surgery to remove a “small portion” of the kidney in February.

“Now I feel great,” Arians writes. “My energy has returned. I’m told I’m cancer-free again. I’m ready for at least one more season of NFL football—maybe more.”

Arians had to deal with a lot of heartbreak around that time. Both his brother-in-law and his longtime agent passed away from cancer. Arians also has a history with the disease. He battled prostate cancer in 2007, and had to have some cancerous cells scraped off his nose during his first summer work with the Cardinals in 2013.

“I now realize more than ever nothing is guaranteed in life,” Arians writes. “Every day needs to enjoyed and celebrated to the fullest. Roses need to be smelled, sunsets savored, time with family cherished. Moving forward, I want to be a beacon of hope for others struggling with cancer. My fight is their fight. I’m not coaching for myself in 2017; I’m coaching for everyone who’s dealing with cancer. This is my charge.”

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “Post-season cancer surgery for Arians”

1. By Fran Donnelly on Jul 11, 2017 | Reply

So glad to hear you are OK. Cancer is an everyday battle for so many people. Your message rings loud and clear. You are a role model, a great coach, a great man, and a gift to Arizona. Here’s to you and the Cardinals 2017 season.

2. By packfaninpackland on Jul 11, 2017 | Reply

Even as a lifelong Packer fan, I respect the heck out of him.

Great coach, great man, and such as bada$$ !! Love him !!!!

Live long sir !

3. By joe holst on Jul 11, 2017 | Reply

I would give him my kidney if needed, very tough dude, no wonder he doesn’t tolerate minor injuries.

4. By jitney67 on Jul 11, 2017 | Reply

Love ya coach. Your Temple Ballboy. Still waiting to do a NFL game it is up to you or Todd.

5. By Alice/Pete Striffler on Jul 11, 2017 | Reply

Bruce so glad to hear you are cancer free. You have been a joy to follow in the NFL. Good luck in the upcoming season. We will be cheering for you. Let’s beat this terrible disease. Go Cardinals.

6. By Richard S on Jul 11, 2017 | Reply

I hope all is well with Bruce. On the internet it says kidney cancer if caught early has a good prognosis. I got a skin cancer on my arm, not the worst kind, just the squamous type where 3-4% of them spread somewhere else in your body and kill you. Now every little new bump has me worrying. Not being a medical expert I would be a lot more worried if it were on the kidneys where a lot of blood flows. Hopefully Bruce has another decade of coaching ahead of him.

7. By Scott H on Jul 11, 2017 | Reply

This cancer thing…..it’s truly one of the great evils on planet earth at this point. And it makes ya wonder…..what are we doing wrong and what HAVE we done wrong to contribute to how out of control the widespread occurence of cancer is right now? Is it me? Did there not used to be this many people being diagnosed with / dying from cancer 25-30 years ago as there are now? How is that as we become more medically advanced and knowledgeable than we’ve ever been before, it seems like cancer just keeps getting stronger?

My dad – colon cancer at 62, had surgery, recovered, God bless him, he had 10 good years before a stroke took him at 72

My wife – breast cancer in Dec 2010, scariest thing ever. Double mascectomy, terrible thing to go through, but God bless her, she is cancer free today. But I live every day in fear that it will come back. Because with my mom, we learned that when it comes back, it often comes back stronger & harder to treat.

My mom – diagnosed with uterine cancer, major surgery to have it removed, went through chemo / radiation / the whole nine yards. She reached a point of being cancer free but it took so much out of her, it was hard to celebrate. And it was back about 6 months later. Couldn’t be removed and didn’t respond to treatment. She died in Dec last year.

It was just SOOOO un-fair to watch that course, ya know? To watch someone go through so much to to supposedly beat it, only to have it come right back to take that person away. Hard to imagine why / how fate would deal a good person such a lousy hand. It was cruel.

Could go on, but the point is, it’s everywhere these days. And I don’t really think it’s just because I’m more aware of it because it’s affected me so much in recent years. Heck, I’m sure it will be me someday, at some point. Because it doesn’t seem like anyone gets away with never having cancer anymore.

Going back to my question from above, I do wonder what we have done – to the environment, to the foods we eat, to our water supplies, to the atmosphere, whatever – that may have helped, a lot or a little, to bring this upon ourselves. I am convinced that we have.

Anyway, as far as BA is concerned, I love this man and I am glad he is feeling well right now. He makes the NFL – no, make that ALL of professional sports – a better place with his swagger, his willingness to tell it like it is, his humor. We need this man around! But above all else, I just want him to be well. I worry about him….his age….the stress of being an NFL head coach….the problems he has had. Selfishly, I hope he has another 10 years as our HC in him! But if he had to step down tomorrow for the good of his health, I would want him to do it and I would hope that he would.

8. By Jo Sellards on Jul 11, 2017 | Reply

BA. My prayers are with you. I know how hard cancer is to deal with. It is hard for our care givers to I just want to hug our spouses

9. By Ron Bimes on Jul 11, 2017 | Reply

Coach:

Wishing you good health and much happiness.

Am very proud of Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald. Go Cardinals!

10. By Scott H on Jul 12, 2017 | Reply

So cool to see a Packers fan chime in here to give props to BA. That was very nice to see. And I get it, I really do. Because if BA weren’t the coach of the Cardinals, I would still love the guy. He is a Bill Parcells-type coach in that regard. And not many guys fall into that category. Doesn’t matter who he coaches for, you love him for WHO he is and how he carries himself.

11. By joe67 on Jul 12, 2017 | Reply

Scott H

You have had your share man, God Bless you and your family. Prayers

12. By JTDG on Jul 13, 2017 | Reply

Was shocked to see the story, as I was watching a UFC fight on TV. I quickly looked on this site to see this story.

Many people questioned BAs health this year, and it turns out, he was battling a whole lot of stuff.

Here is to a healthy and happy 2017.

13. By JTDG on Jul 13, 2017 | Reply

Scott,

There are no simple answers to your questions. But hang in there. I am praying for you brother.

14. By JTDG on Jul 13, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz,

Sorry, been on vacation. I answered your comments on the 3 year plan back on the Offense Edition.

But I have one additional comment/question for you here. If there was a 3 year plan from 2013 to 2015, shouldn’t one of those replacement players been a QB for the 2nd 3 years?

Now, I did not advocate this, so I am just as “guilty” as Keim. But in year two of his first 3 years, if he chose Derek Carr instead of Bucannon, wouldn’t that have set him up to handle the cap much better in the next 3 years (2016-2018)?

Think about it, in 2014, when Palmer went down, Carr would have taken over. With a young stud QB, there would have been no reason to bring Palmer back, saving 20+ million of salary. How could the cards have used that money in 2015 and 2016 to get them over the hump ?

Now again, I would have made the same mistake, as I wanted a pass rusher in Demarcus Lawrence ( a talented player with drug issues it turns out) in round one.

But looking back with hindsight (because this time of year, there is nothing else to do), is there any greater mistake the cards made than not choosing Derek Carr with their first pick in 2014?

15. By Scott H on Jul 13, 2017 | Reply

joe67 –

Thanks for the kind wishes, sir. Seems likely we will all go through it at some point, either directly or through someone dear to us. Heck, many of us already have, I’m sure. And when those times come, God Bless everyone / anyone who needs it.

16. By Joh Hector on Jul 14, 2017 | Reply

BA, glad you’re cancer-free and there is no way we’re letting you leave the Cards for another 10 years, at least!

17. By clssylssy on Jul 15, 2017 | Reply

Always hate to see anyone get a diagnosis of cancer, as it is a horrific thing for everyone concerned and something that keeps everyone fearful and waiting for the “other shoe” to drop even after being declared “cured”. These days there is hardly a family in our country who hasn’t been effected by someone in their family getting a cancer diagnosis, and it’s the one area where there is absolutely no discrimination as to race, age, sex, or financial standing. Most doctors will tell their patients to remain as stress free as possible and I hope BA will listen to the medical experts as he is now on his third strike with this awful disease.
    Being the underdogs this year, hopefully will inspire everyone to play their best and give Fitz, Palmer, and BA, a year to be proud of. Maybe if they can just go out there and have fun, savoring the moment, the joy and power of positive thinking will be the best medicine for everyone and we will see a miracle!

2. Jul 11, 2017: Bruce Arians underwent surgery to remove cancerous spot on kidney
  3. Jul 11, 2017: Bruce Arians Says He Had Post-Season Surgery to Remove Cancerous Spot on Kidney - PureFootballPureFootball — Your source for everything about football! — News and tweets about everything football — Football scores, news, NFL
  4. Jul 11, 2017: Cardinals' Arians had cancerous spot removed from kidney in February - Sports NewsSports News
  5. Jul 11, 2017: Bruce Arians reveals he had kidney cancer during the 2016 season - Sundays Are For Football
  6. Jul 11, 2017: Bruce Arians Cancer Free After Offseason Health Scare
  7. Jul 11, 2017: Bruce Arians reveals he coached part of the 2016 NFL season while battling cancer - Sports News Gist
  8. Jul 11, 2017: Arians had surgery to remove cancer from kidney - Sports News Gist
  9. Jul 11, 2017: Bruce Arians reveals he coached part of the 2016 NFL season while battling cancer - Football Fan Report
  10. Jul 11, 2017: Bruce Arians said he coached last season while battling cancer | Fanbuzz
  11. Jul 11, 2017: Arians ‘cancer-free’ after Feb. kidney surgery – Sports Report Today
  12. Jul 11, 2017: Cardinals’ Arians had cancerous spot removed from kidney in February | The Draft Duel Cast
  13. Jul 12, 2017: Cardinals’ Arians had cancerous spot removed from kidney in February | Smirfitts Speech
  14. Jul 17, 2017: Arians had surgery to remove cancer from kidney - Global Sports Centre