Johnson’s finger can vouch for Palmer arm strength

Posted by Darren Urban on July 21, 2017 – 7:27 pm

All offseason, there has been talk from the Cardinals — and coach Bruce Arians — of not overworking Carson Palmer’s arm. The quarterback didn’t throw during team work during OTAs until the last couple, and then minicamp. The idea was to keep him fresher for the season. Whether that improved his arm strength, well, David Johnson has a story.

Johnson went to the San Diego area after minicamp had ended, to take part in Palmer’s annual work near Palmer’s California home.Palmer was zinging passes to Johnson one day.

“He was throwing some heat and his arm was so fresh, I had to get stitches in my finger,” the running back said.

A throw had cut Johnson’s pinky. He wasn’t sure what it was, whether the laces caught him wrong or the leather simply sliced him, but Johnson said he actually suffered a subluxation of the finger. Still, he kept playing catch and didn’t get it looked at until later.

“He’s still got it,” Johnson said. “To say the least, he definitely still has an arm.”

UPDATE: Palmer said he felt bad about hurting Johnson but “he wasn’t wearing gloves, so I can put a little bit of the blame on him.” That wasn’t the only reason Palmer felt bad. “We washed it with the hose, and I thought ‘That’s probably not the cleanest water in Southern California’ ”

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Johnson’s finger can vouch for Palmer arm strength”

1. By Joe Cardea on Jul 21, 2017 | Reply

So no politics here. And no statistics. But Cardinal fans, hasn’t Kapernick really sucked the last couple years? Has anyone seen him play lately that he looked worth a roster spot? Purely based on how he’s played.

2. By mitchaz on Jul 22, 2017 | Reply

Hi Darren:

What is your 1st day of camp 53 man roster prediction? I have been comparing Josh Weinfuss’, Seth Cox’s and Jess Root’s and it would be fun to see yours.

Same for everyone on the board. What’s your 1st Day of Camp 53?

Here’s mine:

QB (3): Palmer, Gabbert, Stanton
    RB (5): Johnson, Williams*, CJ, Logan*, Penny*
    WR (6): Fitzgerald, John Brown, Nelson, Jaron Brown*, Williams*, Hogan*
    TE (3): Gresham, Niklas*, Momah*
    OL (9): Humphries, Iupati, Shipley, Boehm, Veldheer, Wetzel*, Toner*, Johnson*, Holden*
    DL (7): Gunter, Peters, Mauro*, Rucker, Nkemdiche*, Williams*, Pierre*

CB Shelton
    CB Hayes
    SS Gallon

3. By Darren Urban on Jul 22, 2017 | Reply

Mitch –

RE: 53-man

If I get a chance to think about it, I’ll try and post one. But I’m pretty swamped right now.

4. By Joe Cardea on Jul 22, 2017 | Reply

Mitch,
    I count 54. And noticeably missing is Branch. I think if Gabbert is good enough for the 53 Stanton will go. And I think Kiem is going to bring at least one man for the 53 team roster.

5. By Jerry on Jul 22, 2017 | Reply

I think Brittan Golden belongs on that 1st day 53 man roster at WR. The guy can catch the ball, return punts and even played a little DB. He’s worked his butt off to be a Cardinal.

6. By mitchaz on Jul 22, 2017 | Reply

Darren:

Thanks. When things settle down a little it will be worth the wait to see your 53. I just saw Jurecki’s too and thought it was good.

Joe:

Thanks for the roster count — you’re right I was one over. I think Branch is on the bubble because of drafting two safeties (Baker and Ford), both of whom can play nickel CB too.

Seeing as I have to take on e off my roster above, if it were me I would go with Gabbert as the backup QB and try to trade Stanton. But, if I am reciting what BA will do, I will say he tries to sneak Krishawn Hogan through waivers. I think RB Elijah Penny will take over Stepfan Taylor’s role on STs (punter protector, for one) and as short yardage RB.

Jerry:

I hear you regarding Brittan Golden. If he wins the PR job, he’s in. He’s well liked and is aggressive on STs. With Golden, though, I think the Cardinals feel that he is not a threat to be claimed by another team off waivers and so they can re-sign him when they need him, if it comes down to him and another player they do not want to expose to waivers.

7. By faster on Jul 22, 2017 | Reply

53 man roster prediction?

with 3 QBs? if gabbert plays during camp like montana, maybe. but even then i expect 2 qbs, palmer and stanton.

8. By Scott H on Jul 22, 2017 | Reply

Folks, I really don’t think Stanton is going anywhere. I fully expect him to be the back-up QB this year. No, nothing is for sure. But I think for Stanton to ( somehow ) be gone and Gabbert to stay, I think two things have to happen – Stanton is going to have to play BAD to to a level we’ve not seen before, and Blaine Gabbert is going to have to play UP to a level that I don’t think anyone has seen AND he really may not be capable of. If he DOES play up to such a level, that will be dandy. I just think it will be the first time anyone has seen it.

Look, BA loves Drew Stanton. That is apparent by the fact that bringing Stanton here was one of THE first moves BA made after he was hired by the Cardinals. So….maybe it doesn’t matter what any of US think. The fact is, he has the confidence of the head coach. And, frankly, I understand why. The list of current NFL back-up QB’s who have won twice as many games as they’ve lost is a short list.

9. By CARDS62 on Jul 23, 2017 | Reply

Scott I hear what you are saying about Stanton and I agree with you that he has BA confidence, but I do not know why. Every year Stanton is with the Cardinals he looks worse and worse. I like Stanton so I am hoping he bounces back and plays well this preseason, but if he plays this preseason like he played last year and Blaine G. plays like he did last year then Blaine must be our #2 QB and we decide on who to keep for 3rd string.

Go Cards!