Camp scuffle? “Rank has privilege”

Posted by Darren Urban on July 24, 2017 – 12:13 pm

Bruce Arians has never been shy about his feelings about fighting in training camp — nobody better do it. So as the pads come on for camp and the level of intensity rises, inevitably, it’s something Arians will watch out for. Talking about hitting with the pads on, Arians said “Just don’t take anyone to the ground if you want to stick around.”

(He’s a poet and he didn’t know it.)

And if someone does?

“Throw them off the field,” Arians said. “If it’s the wrong guys, I’ll cut ’em.” Well-timed pause. “Rank has privilege.

“I don’t think any of our ranked guys are gonna fight.”

Arians does make sure his message gets across. “They know that has no place in football. It’s not in the rule book, you fight and you’re ejected, so why practice things that aren’t in the rule book?”

— With the heavy rain across the Valley — and the University of Phoenix Stadium field sitting outside the building as usual this morning as it came down — Arians acknowledged he was a little concerned with the field. But it’s being rolled in as I write this and it looks OK. Doesn’t really matter anyway. Arians said there wasn’t a circumstance where he’d change practice because of a wet field. “We are going to play on that field anyway,” he said. “We better learn how to play on it quick.”

— QB Drew Stanton and WR Jaron Brown will not practice today in a scheduled day off.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Camp scuffle? “Rank has privilege””

1. By D on Jul 24, 2017 | Reply

I wonder if the West Valley got the flooding as we did in Gilbert and Chandler this morning…swamp like conditions….

2. By chris on Jul 24, 2017 | Reply

How do you have a day off on day 3 of camp? Sounds more like BA wants to see Gabbert get the extra snaps to see how he does with pads on and the bullets flying.

3. By Scott H on Jul 24, 2017 | Reply

Wait….JARON BROWN is getting scheduled days off??? ALREADY??? Really? Look, I don’t mind if he doesn’t play in a meaningless HOF game but I DO want to see him on the practice field.

Jaron is a younger player who needs to make a case for himself with the void left by Floyd seemingly his for the taking.

Not really sitting well with me that HE is getting scheduled days off this early in camp.

4. By Darren Urban on Jul 24, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Jaron Brown

Brown had ACL surgery only nine months ago. I’m not sure why you think a tempered approach to camp is an issue. Mathieu was on PUP at this time last year.

5. By Scott H on Jul 25, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Upon seeing your response, I realized I was ( sorry to say ) clearly confusing the injury that Jaron is coming back from with somebody else’s. My bad. So, allow me to withdraw my previous comments.

I’ll find something else to gripe about…probably within the next 10 minutes or so! 🙂

That said, I really do think Jaron DOES need to make a case for himself now, with Floyd out of the way. Yeah, this team has been loaded with talent at WR in recent years, so I don’t hold that against Jaron. With all-world Larry Fitzgerald, an up and comer like Floyd APPEARED to be, and a very talented John Brown occupying the top spots on the depth chart, it would have been hard for anyone to find a lot of opportunity for playing time. But….with how the landscape has changed….we are pretty much gonna know if Jaron can really play before this year is out.

6. By Big Ken on Jul 25, 2017 | Reply

The message here: DON”T scuffle.