After practice: Scooby makes his mark

Posted by Darren Urban on July 25, 2017 – 5:15 pm

After a request to get a little more detailed about how practice goes, Kyle Odegard and I will try to give a few notes after each practice along those lines. Here’s one from Tuesday, which starts with linebacker Scooby Wright. Scooby loves to hit.

There wasn’t any true tackling that was supposed to happen per se, but Wright and big running back Elijhaa Penny came together on one big collision in which Wright hauled Penny to the ground. Later, Wright had another big hit. It’s still early to know if Wright will make the 53-man roster, but he’s certainly made an impression in the offseason and the start if camp. He’s good on special teams and he’s got that aggressive mentality.

Wright even had an interception of a Drew Stanton pass that came off the hands of a receiver — although Stanton likely would have been sacked on the play had there been sacks. The defensive pressure likely would have caused a few sacks earlier in practice. The protection seemed to improve as time went on

— Blaine Gabbert had some nice throws Tuesday (although he threw an interception to rookie linebacker Tre’Von Johnson that never had a chance to be completed.) Gabbert’s future is going to likely rest on preseason games, but you can tell he’s at one level and undrafted rookie Trevor Knight is below. Knight mostly was a spectator during team work Tuesday with the other three QBs getting the work.

— It’s been humid inside the stadium. Not sure if it’s just moist grass being rolled in or the weather outside, but I’m guessing players are losing quite a few pounds each workout with the sweat.

Tags: , , , ,

17 Responses to “After practice: Scooby makes his mark”

1. By mal on Jul 25, 2017 | Reply

Darren-

A tip of my hat to you and Kyle for not just coming to work and punching the clock, doing the same ole just cuz its routine. Thank you for listening to fans and changing and adapting, especially in this particular instance cuz I totally agree with this new idea of giving us notes on how practice went.

I lived 30 years in Arizona but then moved very far away, and there are many thousands of us Cards fans all around the country who cant make it to practice. Your website is our lifeline.

Thank you thank you — these details are like morsels for the starving.

2. By chris on Jul 25, 2017 | Reply

Awesome!!!!!

3. By mitchaz on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

Week 1 of Camp 53 Man Roster Update:

QB (3): Palmer, Stanton, Gabbert

I don’t think there is any question that having Gabbert in the mix has improved the competition and energy of the group.

RB (4): Johnson (David), Williams (Kerwynn), Johnson (Chris), Logan

Not only has Logan shown breakaway speed as a RB/receiver/KR, he held his own blocking OLB Kareem Martin.

WR (6): Fitzgerald, Brown (John), Nelson, Brown (Jaron), Williams (Chad), Dobson

Aaron Dobson has been making big plays…and as of right now he may have a slight edge over Brittan Golden (who is having a very good camp) and super sleeper Larry Clark.

TE (3): Gresham, Niklas, Momah

Hakeem Valles has a chance…but might have to be stashed on the PS until needed.

OL (9): Humphries, Iupati, Shipley, Boehm, Veldheer, Wetzel, Toner, Johnson (Dorian), Holden

Anyone see Dorian Johnson’s one on one block on Robert Nkemdiche? He jolted and stacked him.

DL (7): Rucker, Peters, Mauro, Nkemdiche, Gunter, Pierre, Williams (Xavier)

Ed Stinson nursing an injury early, but has seemingly been on the wrong side of the bubble anyway.

ILB (5): Dansby, Bucannon, Wright, Reddick, Martin (Gabe)

Wright and Reddick are getting after it in all aspects. Gabe Martin is off to a good start and has STs value. Gave the slight nod this week over UCFA Tre-Von Johnson. although Johnson just notched his first interception. Alani Fua can’t seem to avoid injuries.

OLB (4): Golden, Jones (Chandler), Martin (Kareem), Jones (Jarvis)

BA gave Kareem Martin some good props, even saying he might be the team’s best STs player (that’s a stretch, but was said in encouragement). Jarvis Jones’ mystery quad injury right in line with Okafor’s constant injuries, which may be why BA said that more veterans are on their way. Capi and Bazzie not creating much buzz thus far.

CB (4): Peterson, Bethel, Williams, Ford

Have to give Justin Bethel a ton of credit for having such a good camp thus far. So far, so good. If the Cardinals sign Brandon Flowers, and he stays healthy, that would likely eliminate Elie Bouka’s and Jumal Rolle’s roster chance (each out for 2 weeks). For Ruby Ford, seeing as he is combo CB/S, he still has a very good chance to stick. For now he does at CB, because Flowers has not signed yet.

S (5): Mathieu, Bethea, Baker, Branch, Miller

Budda Baker is making the most noise in this group while making up for having to miss OTAs because of Washington’s extended school year. Sooner rather than later, imo, Baker will be starting at FS, with the Honey Badger starting at SS. Bethea, Branch and Miller can be contributors in the nickel and dime packages.

ST (3): Dawson, Wile, Brewer

Dawson’s been nailing 50+ yard FGs and Wile has been booming punts and kicks.

4. By shannon robinson on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

Thanks for the A+ work on the Media Guide! Still don’t know if Pasoni is from Samoa, Tonga, Fiji or maybe he’s Maori? Small tidbits : RB James Summers played QB in Junior College and can replicate the option… It’ just a great read. The History section told me that Pat Fisher played for the Cards from 1961 through 1967 and was in the defensive backfield with Larry Wilson all those great years! Thanks for the Scooby Wright snapshot – I’m counting on him to make the 53 – I want to watch him on kickoffs like I used to follow Wolf on the hunt with binocs.

5. By sdcardfan on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

Darren:
    Ditto to everything mal wrote. I moved to SD from Tucson in ’98 after living in AZ for ten years. Being a ‘nearly’ life-long Cardinal fan (42 years), the azcardinals.com website, your articles and insights have fueled my addiction for Cardinal news for the the past 19 years. I often check and recheck the site and your blog throughout the day for the latest. I appreciate your time, effort, style and passion for our Cardinals. Please keep up the great work!

6. By mal on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz-

Is your scouting report based on your own eyeballs, in other words, are you attending most (all) practices?

If so, I’ve been real curious to know how Larry Clark has been doing? I’m a sucker for always rooting for the underdog, and I want to see that kid do good.

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Larry Clark

He did do this:

8. By Matt on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

How do you see hese players contributing to their team and how have they made progress from last year

-Chad Williams
    -Brandon Williams
    -Nkemdiche
    -DJ Humphries
    -Jared Veldheer
    -Dorian Johnson

9. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

Matt —

RE: Players

Chad Williams and Dorian Johnson are rookies.

Humphries, to me, showed progress last year. We’ll see on Veldheer. I like what Nkemdiche has done, but it’s early. Brandon Williams, to me, is still clearly behind Bethel.

10. By Dana on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

I’m an ASU grad but definitely pulling for Scooby, his hard hitting, and his passion. Reminds me of Pat Tillman. Love the attitude Scooby! Keep it up!

11. By D on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

The only positive I can think of when Larry retires, is that his Cap Space amount can be used to secure David Johnson long term. Maybe help with M. Golden next deal too.

12. By steve on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

Darren: Did you have a chance to work on your golf game during your much deserved time off? Are you a scratch golfer now?

13. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Time off

Ha!

Other than being at home yesterday, it was a normal day. Had the laptop open the whole time (although I did get to watch the DBax while doing it.)

14. By andystandsup on Jul 26, 2017 | Reply

@D about Fitz retiring.
    If it’s this next off season, the team has a nearly 5 mil dead cap hit.
    It’s a hindrance not a help next year.

15. By mike thomas on Jul 27, 2017 | Reply

I was wondering about TJ Logan. Do you see him doing both punts and kick returns for the team?
    I know DJ can do it all, but I was wondering how do you see them using Logan in the back field as a change of pace back or will Chris Johnson get most of that work?

16. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2017 | Reply

Mike —

RE: Logan returns

Logan has never returned punts so I’m not sure they’d want to run him out there for that. It’s a very different thing than returning kicks.

As for offense, I’d think Logan would find time at some point, but like when David Johnson was a rookie, it may not be often, barring injuries.

17. By mike thomas on Jul 27, 2017 | Reply