John Brown to miss some days

Posted by Darren Urban on July 28, 2017 – 12:53 pm

OK, so John Brown had a really good practice Thursday. But it came at a cost. Smoke strained a quadriceps muscle late in practice, and he’ll miss a few days — maybe up to a week. Not ideal, not after his injury issues, but coach Bruce Arians said it had nothing to do with the previous health problems and you hope it’s a few days off and then over. As Arians said today, this time in camp is all bonus time anyway because of the extra game (and I didn’t expect Brown to play much in the Hall of Fame game anyway.)

— The news for fellow WR Aaron Dobson is a little worse. His hamstring will keep him out longer than a week, Arians said.

— S Ironhead Gallon (knee) will return to practice on a limited basis today.

— T Jared Veldheer is back today after Arians gave him a personal day Thursday.

— Nothing new from Arians on the possibility of signing a cornerback. That’s Steve Keim’s department. CB Tramon Williams did work out for the team prior to Thursday’s practice, and we already know CB Brandon Flowers passed a physical too. I’m guessing this is about the contract to get someone in here at this point. “Hopefully,” Arians said. “I just look at them and say, ‘I like him.’ ”

— Arians on the work for Saturday’s Red-White practice: “There will be some live scrimmage we have not had in the past.”

Tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “John Brown to miss some days”

1. By Matt on Jul 28, 2017 | Reply

Darren who do you favor more: Flowers or Williams?

2. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2017 | Reply

Matt —

RE: CB

I guess Flowers, but in the end, haven’t seen much of either of late.

3. By D on Jul 28, 2017 | Reply

WR Eddie Royal, who can also do punt returns is still a free agent.

4. By JTDG on Jul 28, 2017 | Reply

Darren, Way, way off topic.

Before Ray Horton was hired by Whiz as DC, was Whiz considering Todd Bowles?

For some reason, I am thinking that. Just curious.

5. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Bowles

I believe that is correct. I’d have to go back in my archives. I bet it was mentioned in the blog posts from that time period.

6. By Scott H on Jul 28, 2017 | Reply

oy vey….no sooner than I start to REALLY feel psyched about Smoky being back to his old self and then…….another nagging little SOMETHING that puts him out for a week ( or so ). Man, hate to say it but ya start to wonder if this really IS the “back to his old self” for Smoky that we should start getting used to.

We were just hearing about how he has been flying around the field, with that speed of his on display. But ya start to wonder if his speed is his curse. Maybe we’re just not supposed to be that fast…..

Heck, when ya consider how amazingly durable Fitz has been over his 13 – 14 year career, ya wonder if it has been a BLESSING for him that speed was never part of his game. When it comes to WR’s, I’ll take functionally fast over speed demon fast any time. It just seems like the former is more durable.

I really do hope Smoky can get – AND STAY – on track.

7. By Scott H on Jul 28, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

May I ask….there’s been all this speculation about bringing in a veteran CB, yet it has yet to happen. Do YOU see that as a function of the guys we have in house looking good enough so far that a better option might just not be available? Or, as you say here, is it more of an issue of the contract?

And keep in mind, you’ve already been willing to say you would not be surprised if the starter at the other CB spot on opening day is NOT Justin Bethel. And from what we’ve heard, he seems to be the leader in the clubhouse right now.

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: CB

I believe if the price was right, they will bring a guy in. And the price has to be right for both sides.

9. By Scott H on Jul 29, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Um….given the events that have transpired just since you replied…..I think the price better get right real quick. For both sides. Seems like we need a body in here. Now.

Bethel is tweaked….Williams does not seem to be impressing anyone….and the guy who had moved ahead of Williams just went down. Our ability to wait for a guy we want at OUR price seems to be diminishing.