Good news on Bucannon, not on Logan

Posted by Darren Urban on August 5, 2017 – 11:04 am

A quick update long distance (thanks, streaming azcardinals.com) after practice today, before I head over to Canton for Kurt Warner’s induction.

— Good news on Deone Bucannon. Bruce Arians said he’s on target to return for the opener, due to get about a week of practice (although the coach admitted again he’d rather have the $LB get about 10 days in a perfect world.) The fact that Karlos Dansby (leg) is supposed to be returning to practice this week means the position hopefully is moving in the right direction health-wise.

— Not good news of rookie running back T.J. Logan. Kyle will have the full story soon, but he dislocated a wrist and needs surgery. Arians said Logan will be out 12 weeks and needs surgery. He will go on injured reserve, but the idea is that he’ll be back around Week 8 and would be one of the Cardinals’ returns from IR.

— LB Jarvis Jones is out a week with a disc issue.

— Arians said Blaine Gabbert “has a chance” to unseat Drew Stanton as the No. 2 QB, but there’s a long way to go, and Stanton knows the offense so much better.

Tags: , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Good news on Bucannon, not on Logan”

1. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Logan out may mean Dre sticks?

2. By clssylssy on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Wow, seems awfully early to be losing a guy to IR but, if there is any upside, this season two guys can come back to the roster from IR and it sounds like TJ has secured a roster spot. So we can still bring back another guy.
    While Gabbard looked OK in the Hall of Fame Game, that is a far cry from a regular season game with our 0-line. I don’t get what all the whining and criticism is about Stanton as the job description is to “backup” the starter NOT be the starter and Stanton has done a good job of stepping in when called upon, winning games, knows the offense better as Arians pointed out, knows Arians and what he expects/wamts, plus has the confidence of the players (which Gabbard hasn’t earned). What more do you want; I don’t think Stanton envisions himself as the future franchise QB. If Gabbard can benefit from a change of scenery perhaps he can grow into being a solid backup for the future but now he’s an interesting possibility for the depth chart. IMO, good backup QBs like Stanton, are often the unsung heroes who can make the difference in going deep into the playoffs or falling short as the Cards should remember from a few years back.

3. By creditcard on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert is 27, Stanton is 33. Gabbert has more starts and experience than Stanton. Not only did Gabbert have 7 head coaches and 7 coordinators, but it appears he was very young in becoming a NFL quarterback. He is a good example of why sticking through college is a good idea. Very young and immediately playing on a dismal team is not a good formula.

Many posts indicated that Gabbert should have looked good against Dallas. Keep in mind, every person on the HOF field is a professional athlete. Many of the players Gabbert played against more than likely will see some playing action during the regular season. As like the Cardinals, Dallas sat many of their 1st teamers. He did not play against a collection of 3rd, 4th, and walk-on players.

It will be interesting if the Cards do elect to keep 3 QB’s. If you think Palmer might have to sit 1 or 2 games this year, then yes — 3 QB’s. If you think he’ll play every snap, then only 2 QB’s on the roster.

Bummer news on Logan. His special team play looked very special.

4. By shooter28 on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

could of been much worse, glad we will have TJ Logan back by week 8 over the 2nd half of the season because thats when we will really need him the most, down the stretch when teams are jockeying for playoff positioning. Having ILB Deone Bucannon back for week 1 is even better news, having all 3 ILBs in Reddick/Bucannon and Dansby will afford DC James Bettcher the ability to get extremely creative in his play calling with Mathieu/Baker and Bethea on the back end.

5. By steve on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Stanton may know the offense better but Gabbert is the better QB.

6. By Coach K on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Really bad break for Logan. Dre may stick, but I really would prefer we stay with three backs and keep a roster spot open for other needs. Especially if doctors thinks Logan can return mid-season.

7. By sbrown on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

J. Jones now missing another week of practice, will not help him make the final 53. Can’t seem to stay healthy enough to play.
    Good news on Bucannon, just don’t push it to get back, rather miss week one, and be able to play the next 16 weeks.
    Too bad about T J Logan, was the missing spark on teams that the team had been missing. Hopefully surgery goes well and he could come back by week 7 or 8.

8. By TucsonTim on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Only bright spot on special teams so far is out…hmmm

Frankly, the special teams play and O-line play should be the only concerns. If not for special teams last year we win the division. If Carson could stay off his back he probably could have completed some more deep balls and we win even more games. But last year’s O-line wasn’t taking us deep into the playoffs.

So with respect to special teams I have to wonder over and over and over….why Amos???

With respect to the O-line. Is our O-line coach and OC so confident that our tackles are comfortable with the switch that they didn’t even need to play one series. I hope that is the case.

All the other talk about this player and that is interesting but really not pertinent to the season. We outscored our opponents and still managed to have a losing season last year.

Special teams Special teams Special teams

9. By Mark on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Huge blow to our special teams. Who will start at KR and PR?

10. By georgiebird on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Considering the need to upgrade the return game, I consider the injury to TJ Logan to be the 3rd worst thing that could have happened to the Cards next to injuries to Palmer and David.
    Without a much better return game, the Cards have NO chance.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Return game

I agree the return game need to be better. But the return game was not that good in 2015 when they won 13, so to say they have zero chance is simply wrong.

12. By Jon Elder on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert will be our backup this season as long as he continues to perform. Arians wouldn’t even be hinting at it unless it was already in the works.

13. By Scott H on Aug 5, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Perhaps this should not just be dawning on me now, but does it seem possible to you that both Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert are BOTH on this roster this year?? I mean….clearly, neither one of these guys wants to be a 3rd string QB, right? Stanton has been the back-up here….and, frankly, has a pretty good record to point to playing for this team. No way he accepts being pushed out of the back-up spot and settles for being 3rd on the depth chart. And, I gotta figure there is no way the Cardinals ask him to.

Blaine Gabbert can’t possibly want to be a 3rd string QB anywhere when he could very well be a starter for several teams in the NFL right now. For that matter, so could Stanton. Gabbert might have to settle for being a back-up somewhere, but…..being 3rd on anyone’s depth chart?? No. I don’t see it.

In terms of being a QB of the future for Cardinals….you would have to think that seems more likely for Gabbert, given his age. IF the Cardinals are considering that a possibility, then doesn’t that give him a BIG leg up on Stanton?

Suddenly a lot more drama here than I was considering….I mean, I still think Drew Stanton is a better back-up QB for the Arizona Cardinals RIGHT NOW than Blaine Gabbert is. But when you think about who makes more sense longer term…..It would almost have to be Gabbert. Well, assuming that Gabbert continues to impress during the pre-season. Would you agree?

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: QB

Yes, three QBs has long been a possibility. Kyle and I have written as much.

15. By Big Ken on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

At least it isn’t season ending for Logan.

16. By Scott H on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

BTW, since this was the topic of the blog, the news on Buke is awesome. It will be great to have him back for Week One, and hopefully at or near full go. There is no need to push him, so I hope neither he or the team will. This seems to axe any possibility that he would need to be on the PUP list.

Sorry to hear the news for Logan. Figures. Just as someone starts to be moving toward staking a claim to being our return guy….he’s out 12 weeks. Return man for this team has just seemed to be an on-going revolving door of below average performers in recent years. No guarantees Logan was definitely going to put an end to that, but….he was looking like our best hope.

The revolving door continues…..

But, overall, we have been fortunate in regard to injuries. I mean…..when you look at the Dolphins needing to scramble to bring Jay Cutler out of retirement because they lost their starting QB…..hey, no complaints here.

17. By JTDG on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

Good to hear Buc will be back.

As much as I want Reddick to take over, after watching the HOF game, he is nowhere near where he needs to be. Changing from outside to inside is very different with a different mind set.

It will do him good to sit behind Dansby and Buc and learn what he is doing. The cards are better with Dansby and Buc out there in 2017.

Horrible news about Logan. He could have been the answer on special teams. Not sure who they turn to now?

As for Gabbert replacing Stanton. I think Stanton is a good guy and fits the role of back up well, but he just isn’t that that good on the field. If Gabbert can take his spot and upgrade the back up spot, that would be huge.

18. By JTDG on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

Heard an interview with Kurt and Larry.

Larry said that you are beaten down at the end of the year and you are thinking of retirement. But then he said he watched the playoffs and what Julio was doing out there and he said he needs to be out there again.

It made me think if he waits a month or two after the 2017 season to announce his retirement, he might come back another year. He said the fire is still there and loves to be out there.

Wouldn’t that be a complete surprise if after 2017, no one retires ?

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

JTFG —

RE: Retirement

Complete surprise? I don’t think I’d say that, exactly for the reasons you gave.

20. By JTDG on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

As for Trevor Knight;

Great athlete, Tough. 6’1″ and 215 and a 4.5 at the 40.

His numbers on the 40, the short shuttle, and his size are the same as Jamal Adams (the 6th pick of the draft)

This guy could play centerfield or come down in the box if switched to safety.

I get he is a camp arm, but I would like to see him placed on the practice squad and move him to safety. That could be his avenue to the NFL. He has zero chance, maybe less than zero if possible, to make it as a QB.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: QB

Here’s the problem, and it’s the same thing when you suggested Logan Thomas should move: The player does not want to.

Perhaps Knight changes his mind like Thomas. But Knight was given the chance to switch positions in the draft-prep process. He didn’t want to.

22. By CARDS62 on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

I think the big 3 can all come back next year especially if we make a run to the playoffs verses another 7-8-1 season. Right now I am most worried about coaches health. I hope he takes care of himself this year. The season just does not wear down the players bodies but it also seems to wear on the coaching staffs health.

You guys giving Stanton some props please go back and watch him the past 2 seasons. Regular season, preseason, and tell me one time where he looked good, besides dancing on the sidelines. When Stanton first came here and played in the preseason and regular season when Carson was injured I thought we had something, but instead of getting better each year in the same system he is getting worse. Blaine will win the backup job. I am not saying Blaine will be good, but the way he throws the ball he has a chance. Trevor Knight looked like a young rookie and probably not enough reps for him this year, but hey Kurt Warner used to look like a young rookie and was cut multiple times and he ended up doing okay.

I did not even see where TJ Logan was injured, return or playing running back, but man that hurts. Looks like he has an extra gear and needs the reps catching punts.

I tell you what Cardinal Fans I look at our schedule and it is a very good schedule for us. Hopefully the offense gets us off to a great start and our defense and special teams are solid and improves as the season advances.

Go Cards!

23. By JTDG on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

You are right that the player needs to decide.

But I was right about Logan Thomas;

And yes, maybe Knight will fight against it, but what do you have to lose? You tell him switch or he is cut. He isn’t going to be a QB. Zero chance.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Thomas

Everyone speculated about Thomas as TE. I believe I did as well, thinking the Cards themselves would move him if it didn’t work out.

You are right about Knight. But a) you need a fourth QB camp arm and b) what you’d lose if you make Knight a DB or WR is reps for a current fringe DB or WR that is much better placed to be a surprise at that position already than Knight would be. I’d rather see Ironhead Gallon or Carlton Agudosi get those chances.

25. By Big Ken on Aug 6, 2017 | Reply

Trevor Knight is too small. This year’s Coker. Just a camp body, sorry.

26. By clssylssy on Aug 7, 2017 | Reply

Guys…remember these are tryouts basicically and the rookies who looked like rookies WERE rookies mostly or guys who rode the bench most of the time last year (or the year before). Some of these guys are camp bodies so most are competing for PS positions.
    In many ways, I agree with JTDG and others that as far as the future goes, Gabbard may have a bigger upside than Stanton, if for no other reason than his age. It depends a lot on how he develops in our system and his chemistry with the team. He’s been a starter before and hasn’t been able to hold on to that job, which everyone wants to forget and write off to garbage teams however, he played for Harbaugh, who was an excellent coach with some success. I don’t see him as our future franchise QB but rather a career backup (which while that may not be glamorous it’s still a job & an important piece who can be the difference between moving on to the playoffs and not)/ I have a feeling that when Arians goes, so will Stanton but until then, the players have confidence in Stanton and, I consider them better judges than non professionals.. It appears that Arians is trying to bring Gabbard along by giving him more reps in the next game, Only time will tell and as somebody pointed out Kurt Warner looked pretty ragged when he first came here and I remember times he was booed off the field in favor of Leinert! (Gabbard is no Kurt Warner though). As for Trevor Knight, great athlete who will end up on a younger team who has a more youthful staff willing to invest some effort into a young talent who probably needs to mature some. I kinda liked some of what I saw and thought he was better than some Cards QBs I’ve watched through the years. At this stage, I don’t see the Cards as wanting to develop a QB that much, rather are looking for someone who is more than “green broke” that can be a fixer upper.

27. By JTDG on Aug 7, 2017 | Reply

Other guys getting chances;

That is fair. Just hate to see a good athlete (and Aggie) go to waste.

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Knight

Well, it’s not like this has to be his only chance. He could Logan Thomas it in the future. I just don’t see it being here.

29. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Um…wasn’t really asking if there were going to be 3 QB’s this year. I was asking if you think Drew Stanton AND Blaine Gabbert would be two of them. My point was, I found it hard to believe one of THOSE two guys was going to settle for being a 3rd stringer, on this team or any other.

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Three QBs

I do think there is a chance Palmer/Stanton/Gabbert are on the roster. And as far as “settling,” what choice do they have? Unless the Cards cut them, they can’t go anywhere.

I will say this: If they believe Gabbert is who they want as the backup, they will cut Stanton. Only way they keep three, IMO, is if Gabbert is No. 3 on the minimum contract, so they can see what he can do down the road.

31. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2017 | Reply

CARDS62 –

Well, in regard to how Stanton has looked during the last two seasons, my thoughts are these.

First, what body of work is there to even draw from??? Carson Palmer started every game in 2015, played every minute of most of them. So….when did Stanton even play?

Second, Stanton started / played ONE game last year and that was a win. I mean….what more can you get from a guy who only plays in ONE game but ONE win??? OK, it was against the 49ers. But division games are always tough. And the way this team played last year…..wins weren’t a given against anybody. And, OK, maybe his stats didn’t blow the roof off. But who cares? Drew Stanton should NOT be your fantasy team’s QB! When you need your back-up QB to step in and carry you for a game or two, ALL YOU NEED HIM TO DO IS HELP THE TEAM WIN. And Stanton has done that.

Really, I’m not sure just what else people want from this guy.

Hey, bottom line, either of these guys is well-suited to be a very good back-up QB, so….I guess we win, either way. And NEITHER of these guys seems well-suited to be our QB of the future, so….

But here’s a question ( for anyone ) – say Palmer steps down after this year and the Cards will be drafting their QB of the future in next year’s draft. And you can have either Drew Stanton of Blaine Gabbert to be the guy you lean on as a temp starter / teacher for your young QB…..who would you prefer? Gotta say, I prefer Stanton.

32. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Ah, there we go! I was just feeling like I was having a hard time seeing Stanton and Gabbert here.

Of course, if the team doesn’t cut either of them, they have no choice.

I would have to think that if Gabbert DOES un-seat Stanton as the #2 guy, THEN there is no way that all three of them are here. They are not gonna embarass Stanton by demoting him to 3rd string – OR pay him what they’re paying him to be a useless player, doing nothing.

Guess it all depends on the depth chart. Maybe Palmer – Stanton – Gabbert is possible. Doesn’t seem like Palmer – Gabbert – Stanton is.

OK, we can be done! Thanks.

33. By MidwestCardsFan on Aug 8, 2017 | Reply

The main statement from BA that I liked is Most of Blaine’s throws were to the 2nd and 3rd reads. Standing in the pocket and reading his progressions. And big shot out to the 2nd O-line they were better than Dallas 2nd team D. Impressed with Cole Tonner’s center position play in that game also

2. Aug 5, 2017: Football Soccer News Saints’ Adrian Peterson ‘itching’ to play in preseason
  3. Aug 5, 2017: Saints' Adrian Peterson 'itching' to play in preseason - Barflyer.net
  4. Aug 22, 2017: Football Soccer News Arizona Cardinals activate Deone Bucannon off PUP