After practice: Fitz strikes again

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2017 – 5:34 pm

Ron Wolfley wasn’t around, but Larry Fitzgerald was feisty, and he took it out on everyone else. First there was a tackle of quarterbacks coach Byron Leftwich (whom we learned earlier in the day would be calling the plays against the Raiders on Saturday). Then later, Brittan Golden was up.

It started innocently enough. Fitz starting yelling into the stands to get the attention of Golden’s young daughter, who was sitting with Golden’s wife off by themselves, but close enough to hear Fitz. Once Fitz figured she was looking, he went to work, playfully taking down Golden and then rolling on top of him for good measure. When he got up, he made sure to tell Golden’s daughter he was stronger than her daddy. All Golden could do was shake his head and smile.

— For a second straight practice, David Johnson put a hella-jump cut on rookie linebacker Haason Reddick. There’s no better teaching tool for Reddick at his new position than having to deal with Johnson on a daily basis, I suppose.

— Tyrann Mathieu, on one play in the pull-up-don’t-tackle practice, rolled past receiver Jaron Brown on a TD catch at the goal line. The Badger made sure everyone knew it wouldn’t have been a completion in a regular situation. “I would’ve knocked his teeth out,” Mathieu bellowed.

— It wasn’t the best practice for quarterback Drew Stanton. Carson Palmer had a rest day, and Stanton couldn’t seem to connect often enough, especially in the red zone drill. He was intercepted once by Patrick Peterson on a pass to Fitzgerald in the end zone, although it looked like Fitzgerald was looking for a fade and Stanton was looking back shoulder.

— The pass rushers-versus-offensive linemen one-on-one was interesting. I can see why they like rookie Will Holden. His footwork looked solid when he was going, locking up the third-stringers he saw. Robert Nkemdiche looked explosive. He and Frostee Rucker beat guard Evan Boehm on back-to-back tries at one point.

— The Cardinals were done early. Really early. The final horn blew at 3:48 p.m. I’m guessing they were efficient in what they wanted to get accomplished. I’m sure Arians will touch on it tomorrow.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “After practice: Fitz strikes again”

1. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2017 | Reply

Man, I LOVE Fitz’ feistiness / playfulness. I take that as a sign that the heart is still young. And while I can’t possibly know how his early-30’s body feels in late November….heck, it ain’t like he’s slowing down physically, either. EVERYTHING about him says he could go another season or two. AFTER this one.

You can tell he still LOVES to play.

2. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2017 | Reply

Well, certainly by now, we all know I am a Stanton supporter. And I certainly don’t mind defending him based on what he has done up to this point as a player for this team. But ya know what? That doesn’t mean I would support him over a better QB. Hey, he needs to take care of that business himself on the field. And if he allows himself to be out-played by Gabbert ( or anyone else), then….so be it. He may end up being someone else’s back-up QB this year. He ain’t helping himself by not having his best days.

Let the record show, I am fully in favor of the best man winning for the good of the Arizona Cardinals.

3. By Rimrockcard on Aug 9, 2017 | Reply

After all these years,,,Fitz still rocking

4. By clssylssy on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

It’s too bad all of our players don’t have Fitz’s enthusiasm, class, leadership, football IQ, dedication to his craft, and overall impact on the game.
    He and Anquan Boldin are the kind of players you don’t seem to find any more with their longevity and relevance being payoff for their embracing their craft like a science.
    What an amazing opportunity for our young players to get to be teammates with a guy like Fitz who oozes knowledge, wisdom, class, but is still so humble and playful as to still want to play with the kids/rookies and young players on the team.
    He’s sure going to be missed!

5. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

Great radio interviews with Tramon Williams, Ifeanyi Momah, Chandler Jones. Each of these guys impressive.

6. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

Urb: any word on new stadium name?
    Adam Smith

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Stadium name

Not a peep.

8. By mitchaz on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

Darren:

I heard that you think if Gabbert wins the #2 QB spot that the Cardinals would release Stanton. Is that true? You’ve been adamant about Stanton sticking, at least to this point.

Do you think a QB needy team would consider trading for Stanton? His cap hit is only $1.6M, which is quite reasonable for a #2 who can start when needed.

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

Mitchaz —

RE: Stanton

I think that if Gabbert beats out Stanton — and you feel Gabbert gives you potential for the future — I don’t know if keeping Stanton makes sense. Maybe with his relationship with Palmer, that impacts it. But Stanton as No. 3 seems odd to me. As for a trade, I suppose that’s always possible for a late-round pick, but not likely.

10. By Chris Gonos on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

Fitz is no 1 in my book full of class and has the drive! Follow this guy and get what it takes to be a great football player! Always have the drive and ambition to be a great player and very humble!

11. By Joe C. on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

I think it is wise to keep Gabbert and Stanton if Gabbert is as impressive as we’re giving him credit for. If nothing else he can be an option next year. Much like I was semi jokingly calling for Cutler to be signed in a reserve role this year and evaluated for next, Gabbert is cheap and won’t hurt anything to keep. Except, the cost of his roster slot to a sixth receiver or fifth running back. Or you name the position we have an abundance of players and one worthy of keeping for the future who is on the bubble. Otherwise we’ll waste a practice squad spot on a QB with no future so we have a practice arm to spell Carson on his rest days!

12. By mitchaz on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

I agree with Darren about Stanton as a #3.

If the Cardinals can’t trade him to a QB needy team, what does that say about Stanton’s perception around the league? $1.6M for a veteran #2 QB is team friendly.

13. By aschatte on Aug 10, 2017 | Reply

Just call it “Warner-Fitzgerald” Stadium and be done with it!

14. By Scott H on Aug 12, 2017 | Reply

I gotta admit, I have always loved Chris Berman’s name for UoP – the Big Toaster.

Therefore, I loved it when he referred to the 2009 season playoff game against the Packers ( the 51-45 game ) as the Roaster in the Toaster.