A quiet Arians is a scary Arians

Posted by Darren Urban on August 15, 2017 – 12:20 pm

J.J. Nelson mentioned Monday that while Bruce Arians had made it known he was not happy with the wide receivers, he was “saying it in a nice way.”

Yeah, well, that’s not a good thing.

“I was very nice about it,” Arians said Tuesday, very even-keeled while speaking on the subject. “I said (GM) Steve (Keim) is upstairs right now looking at tape for more new (receivers).”

That was probably a B.A.-mic drop moment. “I don’t really give a s*** what they think,” Arians said. “They were told real quietly and that scared them.”

It reminded me of my parents — and probably many parents. I know I’ve done it with my kids. Getting yelled at isn’t good, but when the tone gets quiet and perhaps a little more deliberate, something not so good is going down.

“If I’m hollering, I’m coaching ’em,” Arians said. “When I’m not hollering, it’s not a good thing.”

— Three receivers (coincidence? Probably not) are attempting to return to practice full today: John Brown (quad), Chad Williams (shin splints) and Aaron Dobson (hamstring). Tackle D.J. Humphries (hamstring) is going to try individual drills today, and Arians expects him back to practice later this week and to be able to play Saturday.

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “A quiet Arians is a scary Arians”

1. By Big Ken on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

‘Soft tissue’ injuries are an indication of soft players.

2. By 53 Card deck on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Darren-

If the majority of the receivers pool continues to struggle like this, might we see Ellington try out as a WR and Momah return to his original position again? They are both at least decent receivers but not exactly that great at running/blocking which is needed at their current positions.

Thanks

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

53 Card deck —

RE: WR

If they need a receiver, they will sign one. Ellington will remain an RB, Momah a TE.

4. By mal on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Darren-

Was it Agudosi who was carted off with a knee?

Did I miss something, cuz I’ve not heard a word what his injury was?

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Agudosi

Yes, it was Agudosi. It was a knee. Not expected to be serious, but he is sitting out now.

6. By Scott H on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

BA can be a scary guy….I like it!!! He really is a rare bird among NFL coaches. He’s got an old-school quality about him, but….he’s also that “cool uncle” that few coaches ever get to be. And his players both seem to love him but also fear him when he needs them to. They definitely seem to get his messages.

FWIW, that last sentence above almost turned out to be one of the funniest typos ever. I was about to submit the post when I realized I wrote “massages” instead of “messages.”

7. By Chris Whitaker on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Time to sign WR Vincent Jackson.

8. By dan on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

I say trade John Brown and get a 6th or 7th rd pick for him.

9. By dan on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Or trade him for 10 bitcoin

10. By steve on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Bring back Boldin for one more year

11. By clssylssy on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

The Bills signed Boldin then traded Sammy Watkins to the Rams…the Bills got the best end of that deal as he’s been a playmaker for every team he’s been on!

12. By carlsonchemist on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

I like John Brown not only as a person but as one who has the skills of an elite pass receiver. He has an infectious personality and conducted himself both on and off the field in a professional manner. I loved to watch his end zone dancing after catching touchdown passes. He has become one of my favorite players and one whom I root for the most.

Unfortunately, I believe he might have met an obstacle, that despite his Herculean efforts, will not be able to overcome. To be an elite receiver, one’s body has to be fine-tuned while physically pushed to the limits. Anybody who understands the pathophysiology of sickle-cell trait (SCT) knows that this disease is systemic (as opposed to local) and is chronic (as opposed to acute). SCT prevents him from recovering in a timely manner from the nicks, bruises, and injuries that are part of his profession. SCT is by far more of an obstacle to overcome than torn ligaments, which are local and can fully heal in time either with time or after surgery. SCT affects the entire body; respiration, metabolism, and injury recovery. It isn’t local or short-lived, it’s chronic and will remain with him for a lifetime. SCT makes multiple torn ligaments in a knee look like a paper cut to the finger.

I know this is frustrating to him, the Cardinals organization, and fans as well. As much as I continue to hope and pray for John Brown’s ability to manage his disease (because there is no recovery), I fear that there is no escape from reality. He’s been dealt a cruel hand, one that would take nothing short of a miracle for him to achieve the lofty expectations thrust upon him as a reliable elite NFL receiver.

I relish the thought of being wrong, but I can’t hide from what I currently believe to be his reality from a clinical perspective. It’s still too soon to pronounce him dead and I support every effort made to assist John Brown to be successful. But should those efforts fail, I hope that the organization treats him fairly with an injury settlement. You don’t know me John Brown, but as one of your many fans, I know you. God bless, and don’t give up the fight.

13. By carlsonchemist on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

Just an addendum to my previous post, I’d like to offer s simplified understanding of sickle-cell trait (SCT). It’s all genetic, so there is no cure at this time. SCT defines the type of hemoglobin (an iron-containing pigment that dictates how oxygen binds to red blood cells). SCT reduces the efficiency of oxygen to bind to hemoglobin in red blood cells (rbc’s). As such, without adequate oxygen binding capacity, the normal oval shape of rbc’s fold, giving them a sickle shape (thus the name).

Every cell in our body depends on receiving oxygen for the cells to survive. With a reduced capacity of the rbc’s to deliver oxygen to every cell in the body (all types of living tissues that make up muscles, nerves, tendons, ligaments and organs systems), the body is unduly stressed.

Furthermore, normally-shaped rbc’s are able to slide past each other to feed tissues where only a single might pass through narrow capillaries. The sickle-shaped rbc’s contribute to the bunching up of rbc’s that block the passage of rbc’s so that they cannot feed vital oxygen to tissues. The bunching up of rbc’s can easily result in life-threatening thromboembolisms (blood clots that prevent the distribution of life-sustaining oxygen to tissues and organs.

This is but an over simplification of SCT so that fans of John Brown might have some idea of the obstacle that he’s trying to overcome.

14. By Adam S Larson on Aug 17, 2017 | Reply

–carlsonchemist

I know there’s no cure for SCT, but are there treatments that could help John and others with SCT live a longer healthier life? Would oxygen through a mask or cannula while the Defense is on the field help?

Thanks,

Adam S.

2. Aug 15, 2017: Jaron Brown Emerges As Needed Receiver
  3. Aug 15, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | After practice: Hurting John Brown “can’t rush it”